mtbr member

Any East Bay flat Mt Bike Trails?

My grandson is 6 now and has been on his bike for about a year on the sidewalk and bike paths. He's always asking me to take him with me on a "mountain bike" ride but I don't know of any easy (flat) trails around here. Chabot is too hilly and I think Redwood and Joaquin Miller are pretty much the same...
    We did the bay trail, but that's more like a gravel road than mountain biking...
    Any suggestions?

Paper or plastic?
    Easy: Coyote Hills. There's even a section in the marshes that's narrow and flat (1/4 mile). You can access it from across the road from the first parking on your left once you get in. After that, go around the marshes on the fireroad, and look at the pretty birds in the water.

Or, with a little bit more climbing, but nothing crazy, you can go to Oyster bay park in San Leandro (Oyster Bay Regional Shoreline). It's the old San Leandro dump, and is primarily used as a dog park. It's right next to the bay and to the Oakland airport, so that you can stop to look at the planes landing and taking off. It's small, so go around and explore with your grandson.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by rzims View Post
    My grandson is 6 now and has been on his bike for about a year on the sidewalk and bike paths. He's always asking me to take him with me on a "mountain bike" ride but I don't know of any easy (flat) trails around here. Chabot is too hilly and I think Redwood and Joaquin Miller are pretty much the same...
    We did the bay trail, but that's more like a gravel road than mountain biking...
    Any suggestions?
    nothing is flat around here - but a couple I've taken my on.

East Ridge out and back in redwood park.

diablo/briones out and back in shell ridge.

Only 500' or so on these
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Point Pinole? We walk our dogs there which is completely flat with good views. It's mostly dirt roads with a few very short singletracks.

mtbr member
    awesome - thank you all...great ideas. I live in Hayward so I'll start with Coyote Hills. Haven't been out there in years.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You could also try the north side of the Alameda Creek trail between Fremont and Newark. That side is dirt and gravel while the south side is paved. About 10-11 miles long from end to end, pretty much flat with some under crossings. Or a little farther south you can try the levee trails out of Alviso.

Feral Roadie
    Berkeley Marina has some very mellow dirt hills that my son at least enjoyed a lot at that age. It's not a lot, but you can always stop to look at boats and kites. An out and back in on the bike bypass through Tilden Park is also doable at that age, but I'm not sure it'd be worth the drive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    As everyone has mentioned already:

- Coyote Hills
    - Hayward Shoreline/Oyster Point
    - Eden Landing
    - Alameda Creek Trail

Lots and lots of flats.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    After he gets a little ride time the shoreline trail at China Camp is fairly flat.2nd on Pt . Pinole .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post
    ......... Or a little farther south you can try the levee trails out of Alviso.
    Can you ride to drawbridge (ghost town) from alviso on this?
    That would be great for a kid

Obi
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post
    You could also try the north side of the Alameda Creek trail between Fremont and Newark. That side is dirt and gravel while the south side is paved. About 10-11 miles long from end to end, pretty much flat with some under crossings. Or a little farther south you can try the levee trails out of Alviso.
    Roger beat me to it. We host the annual Frosty Ride @ Coyote as well as impromptu family rides, etc on the Northern Side of Alameda Creek. There's a little bench under a tree about 2 miles in as well as another bench at the water's edge. This thread needs pics.

Entry just off of Union City Boulevard.

Looking back Eastward.

Tree Stop both unloaded and loaded.

End of the Line. Let me know if you decide to do a ride over here, I'll go along if it's late enough in the evening or on a morning and I can drag myself out of bed. (Good luck, even Zorg has yet to try to get me up to ride that early.)
    You have given out too much Positive Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    we took our son to coyote hills and the wildlife refuge (which has some trails along the bay) when he was little and starting to ride in the dirt...totally flat, fun and scenic.

mtbr member
    Alhambra Creek trail in Briones. It might be the right distance at about 1.5 miles.

MTBR Member since 2001...
    Love Coyote Hills. Good for first timers... with good stuff for the rest of us.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any East Bay flat Mt Bike Trails?-coyote-peak.jpg  

Any East Bay flat Mt Bike Trails?-peak2.jpg  

'11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    '08 GT Force 3
    Giant
    Moto
    Trek
    Others

Safety Consultant
    I take my daughter (she's 5) up to the Sequoia/Bayview trail in Joaquin Miller. It's flat enough and just about long enough for her attention span. She has a blast.
    There is a drop on one side so I stay close and reign her in as necessary, but the trail is wide and she has good bike control.