Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Any East Bay flat Mt Bike Trails?

2K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  Turd Fergusen 
#1 ·
My grandson is 6 now and has been on his bike for about a year on the sidewalk and bike paths. He's always asking me to take him with me on a "mountain bike" ride but I don't know of any easy (flat) trails around here. Chabot is too hilly and I think Redwood and Joaquin Miller are pretty much the same...
We did the bay trail, but that's more like a gravel road than mountain biking...
Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Easy: Coyote Hills. There's even a section in the marshes that's narrow and flat (1/4 mile). You can access it from across the road from the first parking on your left once you get in. After that, go around the marshes on the fireroad, and look at the pretty birds in the water.

Or, with a little bit more climbing, but nothing crazy, you can go to Oyster bay park in San Leandro (Oyster Bay Regional Shoreline). It's the old San Leandro dump, and is primarily used as a dog park. It's right next to the bay and to the Oakland airport, so that you can stop to look at the planes landing and taking off. It's small, so go around and explore with your grandson.

#7 ·
Berkeley Marina has some very mellow dirt hills that my son at least enjoyed a lot at that age. It's not a lot, but you can always stop to look at boats and kites. An out and back in on the bike bypass through Tilden Park is also doable at that age, but I'm not sure it'd be worth the drive.

#15 ·
I take my daughter (she's 5) up to the Sequoia/Bayview trail in Joaquin Miller. It's flat enough and just about long enough for her attention span. She has a blast.
There is a drop on one side so I stay close and reign her in as necessary, but the trail is wide and she has good bike control.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.