gobsmacked Moderator

Another commuter crushed by Muni Buses

happens fairly regularly but anybody else ride on Market street? It's ridiculous to have to stay in the right lane where the bike lane is when buses don't bother to pull into curbouts and idle in the right lane along with taxis, cars, and those crazy giant drains are there ready to whack into you and suck you down.

Bicyclist killed after being struck by Muni bus - Story | KTVU

I have to veer into the center lane to avoid all sorts of crazy stuff. I can totally see why he was in that lane. Poor guy!

just another bleepin SSer
    I only go from 7th to Polk on Market when I bike commute. No bus curbouts in that stretch. if a bus stops for a stop, I jut wait behind it, unless there is obviously a safe way for me to get past and I know I can do it before they start up again.

Not sure what you are saying about "have to stay in the right lane where the bike lane is". Bikes are legally allowed to leave a bike lane when they need to (CVC 21208). Or leave the right side of the road when they need to (CVC 21202). The correct way for a bicycle to pas a stopped vehicle is to pass it on the left. Is there some special law for SF that I am not aware of?
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    Business: www.calkayakermag.com
    Personal: www.singlespeed.org
    自転車が好きだよ

mtbr member
    Wait, SFPD spouting nonsense to the press about the where they'll suffer bikes to operate? Muni drivers running over cyclists (to say nothing of pedestrians or even cars)? Breathless questions from the Chronicle casting aspersions on the dead cyclists culpability in their own death? I'm shocked....shocked I say.

I bike through that part of the city daily on my commute. I've seen lots of people do dangerous and thoughtless things on Market St. That includes cars, trucks, busses, trollies, and cyclists. Turns out people do dumb things with vehicles. When that results in bent metal its very easy shrug it off as an accident, but with a frightening reliability if there's a bike involved you can count on some shade being thrown. Sometimes a little, usually a lot.

Not saying this person was blameless, but the dead rider's not even allowed the privilege of having a coherent description of what happened. Instead we're treated to the cops and Muni questioning why a dead cyclist had the temerity to be on the road in the press.

Edited to add: Post rant I realized I didn't even mention the affected family. Condolences to them and RIP to the rider.
    Last edited by b0bg; 10-12-2015 at 09:15 PM. Reason: forgot condolences

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeed.org View Post
    Not sure what you are saying about "have to stay in the right lane where the bike lane is". Bikes are legally allowed to leave a bike lane when they need to (CVC 21208). Or leave the right side of the road when they need to (CVC 21202). The correct way for a bicycle to pas a stopped vehicle is to pass it on the left. Is there some special law for SF that I am not aware of?
    this quote in the article:

"Bicyclists are supposed to travel in the bike lane, "reminded SFPD Officer Grace Gatpandan at the scene.

Not sure if the quote is out of context but it seems rather callous given that a man died.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    there is no bike lane there. typical sfpd.

there is bus video which should shed light on what happened. as noted above, all sorts of users do all sorts of crazy things on market.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by b0bg View Post
    Wait, SFPD spouting nonsense to the press about the where they'll suffer bikes to operate? Muni drivers running over cyclists (to say nothing of pedestrians or even cars)? Breathless questions from the Chronicle casting aspersions on the dead cyclists culpability in their own death? I'm shocked....shocked I say.
    This would be really funny if it wasn't 100% accurate

just another bleepin SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    this quote in the article:

Not sure if the quote is out of context but it seems rather callous given that a man died.
    Thanks for clarification. Does seem callous and not really correct legally.
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    Business: www.calkayakermag.com
    Personal: www.singlespeed.org
    自転車が好きだよ

fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Mark Heryer RIP.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another commuter crushed by Muni Buses-12033026_1465381783770089_5301028954235958024_n.jpg  

Another commuter crushed by Muni Buses-12115985_10207930662455095_5357016391444414809_n.jpg  

IPA will save America

gobsmacked Moderator
    ugh. ****ed up.