mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Annadel route suggestion

Hi,

I might had to Annadel tomorrow morning and did some research via Strava. Could anyone confirm if this is a worthy and fun route for first timers at Annadel?

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Annadel with Jeremy and Josh near Santa Rosa | Times and Records | Strava

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    Hi,

I might had to Annadel tomorrow morning and did some research via Strava. Could anyone confirm if this is a worthy and fun route for first timers at Annadel?

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Annadel with Jeremy and Josh near Santa Rosa | Times and Records | Strava
    Yes. Good route. You say first timers, as in being at Annadel I take it. Given who was on that ride track you posted, I doubt you'd have the same ride time either way tho.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Laker and a Trail Blazer

Annadel route suggestion

Damn that's a fast ride! That's a worthy first timer route.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Yes. Good route. You say first timers, as in being at Annadel I take it. Given who was on that ride track you posted, I doubt you'd have the same ride time either way tho.
    Yes, it will be my first time to Annadel and I'm positive I won't have the same ride time as the riders on that track.

A buddy of mine freed up tomorrow morning and will give me a proper tour of Annadel. Thanks for the replies.

Slowest Rider
    That route is as good as any. Depends on what you're looking for.

At Annadel, there's no such thing as a bad route, each is just different. A flat easy road circumvents the park, which up on the hill, so for a mile or two jaunt along this peripheral road you can start and end anywhere. Just go up, bounce around like a pin ball and come down when you've had enough. You'll always have fun.

General Trail Advice
    South Burma (technical) and North Burma (swoopy) are best done downhill, from Marsh towards Live Oak.
    Rough Go deserves it's name, it's very rocky and not much shade.
    Cobblestone and Orchard (right off the parking on Channel Dr.) are mildly steep, but fun with lots of switch backs in the shaded woods.
    W. Richardson is a mild steep fire road, most boring but common way to climb up into the park.
    Canyon Rd. (starting from Spring Lake) is the least steep road to climb for entry, and has more technical fun than W. Richardson.
    Many enjoy adding a loop going down Lawndale, which is fast and swoopy DH singletrack in the woods. Then turn right on the paved road for a bit and enter back on Schultz, going back to Ridge.
    Marsh is a nice wooded singletrack that's mildly technical with mud and rocks.
    Two Quarry is very steep, if coming up from W. Richardson.

Popular entry points are Canyon (less steep), W Richardson Rd, and Cobblestone (from the lot as per your Strava route). I also have gone up Spring Creek and found it nice.

Since I don't like steep climbs at my size, I usually enter on the Canyon Rd side, go up Marsh, down South and North Burma, then Live Oak to Rough Go to Orchard/Cobblestone, dumping out right at the parking. If I have extra energy and time, adding a loop down Lawndale and up Schultz/Ridge from Marsh trail.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    Yes, it will be my first time to Annadel and I'm positive I won't have the same ride time as the riders on that track.

A buddy of mine freed up tomorrow morning and will give me a proper tour of Annadel. Thanks for the replies.
    Just commenting on ride duration in case you had a time constraint. Could be ~4 hr outing depending, so plan water and snacks accordingly.

That route start has a little warm up spin out the fire road at first but then gets into climbing right away on Rough Go. You could head in opposite direction and head down Channel Drive, get on Channel Trail and then start your climbing on WP Richardson to get up and over to the lake. Then pick up on the route at some point, still finishing going down on Rough Go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ended up doing this loop and it was great. Had a couple mechanical that slowed the flow down, but overall Annadel is a great place. I'll be returning soon.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Medium?
    Good, but it would have been better if you'd have done rough-go, orchard and cobblestone to get back to the car.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy View Post
    Good, but it would have been better if you'd have done rough-go, orchard and cobblestone to get back to the car.
    Must you be so abrasive.....