Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Annadel, Info & Routes for 1/24? *No, 1/28...*

2K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  AmericanTemplar 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Tomorrow looks to be a rare day where I can head out for, well, pretty much the day. Hoping to leave East Bay somewhat early and head up to Annadel. No so familiar with Annadel but hoping to get in 20-28 miles or so, something like that. Climbing not a problem. Can some of you guys post some suggested routes and guidelines? Hoping to make the most of it, so your info and help would be much appreciated.

If you had the time and were up for the day with the time needed looking for some mileage, what would you do?

Many thanks in advance!
Oliver

#3 ·
Cool, thanks for the guidance. It's funny how rain affects different spots. In the last two weeks I've ridden Redwood/JMP (backyard ride), Tamarancho, China Camp, Skeggs, Skyline Napa and Henry Cowell/UCSC and it really runs the gamut. Coming around the counterclockwise loop at CC it's downright boggy toward the end, but above UCSC Monday was summer-like and almost dusty in some areas! Skeggs is pretty good, Tamarancho still has a couple mucky sections, but considering its still January, no complaints here...

Thanks for the info, if you think that's a pretty good route, I'll check it out.

#2 ·
It rained today, so it'll be fairly wet up there-- it was already kind of saturated.

A good route is to start on Channel Drive:

Go up Channel Trail, Richardson, up 2 Quarry (thus avoiding lots of mud), L. on Marsh, Down Lawndale, R. on the road, R.on Shultz road, up Shultz trail, L. on Ridge (left again to stay on ridge after the fire road), R. on Marsh, L. on S. Burma, R. on Richardson, L. on North Burma, L. on Live Oak, R. on Rough Go, R. on Orchard, L. On Cobblestone back to your car.

That's about 23-25 miles. You can also include going all the way down Rough Go and then up Spring Creek for extra miles.

Have fun!

#18 ·
Go up Channel Trail, Richardson, up 2 Quarry (thus avoiding lots of mud), L. on Marsh, Down Lawndale, R. on the road, R.on Shultz road, up Shultz trail, L. on Ridge (left again to stay on ridge after the fire road), R. on Marsh, L. on S. Burma, R. on Richardson, L. on North Burma, L. on Live Oak, R. on Rough Go, R. on Orchard, L. On Cobblestone back to your car.
Guru thanks for posting this. I have to go to Calistoga for work on Tuesday, and it's been many moons since I have had the pleasure to ride Annadel, so the MTB is coming wit me! Thank you for posting this as it will be very helpful. I followed your route on the park map perfectly, except right near the end. Just to confirm, is it a right on Cobblestone off Orchard instead of a left? Thanks.

#7 ·
Hey Ollie

The route suggested is a good one. I wish you were going on 1-25 as I would gladly show you the goods. Redwood/JMP is my back yard ride as well, so let me know when you are riding those. I rode Skeggs on Sun and it was GREAT except for the downed trees on Blue blossom.

#8 ·
Possibly TwoQ for getting onto the s/t earliest in the ride when starting into the park up WP Richardson. Granted it's a workout right out of the gate tho.

As for SB changes, now that the re-routed bottom section has recently been officially closed off, we'll have to see how the new section works with the added downhill, or for a better word descending traffic picks up. Nothing technical in the new section which tends to lead to faster speeds which could end up with some sketchy 2 way interactions with uphill multi-trail users, i.e. bike/horse/hiker.

If you haven't been on it yet(the new section) WW, I'm sure you'll approve when you do!

#9 ·
Argh, may not make it up today, but maybe tomorrow is better. Could be dryer, maybe less overcast.
I should have just left early instead of trying to get a few things done before leaving!

Thanks Guru and all for your route info, I'll follow it and am hoping to go tomorrow.

#17 ·
That could be fun, I'm in Montclair too. I've got one or two things to do pretty early but could be ready by 9:30 or so, I'll PM you in the morning early. Maybe we can avoid the 1/4 mile long mud slick previously mentioned. I could carpool as long as you like coffee on the way up, maybe a beer after the ride. No religious conversations, direct-sales pitches, etc... :)

#15 ·
Just beat the dark getting out of the park. Bottom of S Burma is a field of like 1/4 inch greasy mud over stickier dirt. Scattered puddles on every trail, but other than the wet rocks (what rocks?) traction wasn't terrible. Great temperature.

On a side note, my super dependable norcal tire combo (2.3 Butcher, 2.0 Fast Trak, tubeless) was sub-dependable. Better luck to you!

#21 ·
Haha, I knew it... Dang, you better get on without me, it will be Monday for me. Best laid plans gone awry, I'll be tied up until noon and will just have to hit Marin I think...but everyone's help with routes will be appreciated soon enough...:madman::madman:

#24 ·
Annadel is one of the few parks where just about any route is great. In spite of the "perfect" ride recommendations, I've done most all trails there in all directions and it's all good.

You can ride up the hill on any trail, bounce around the trails like a pinball, and fall back down to the flat paved perimeter road any time you want to leave. (Don't Tilt!) Ride a mile or two on the level road back to your car.

That said, there's some minor advice:
Many climb up the smooth steep Richardson Rd. Take Two Quarry only if you want a steep tough technical work out.
Easiest way up into the park is the Canyon Rd on the other side of the park. It's not as steep as Richardson and more technical with lots of rocks. At the top it connects to the fun climb up the wooded Marsh singletrack to South Burma.
For extra ride, many go down swoopy Lawndale and back up Shultz.
Don't miss the steep and technical South Burma. Fun both directions.
North Burma up top near the lake is swoopy and fun.
You need to ride Rough Go and Cobblestone. Fun to climb up, and even more fun to come down at the end of ride, dropping you right at your car that's usually parked on Channel Dr there.

#28 ·
Easiest way up is Canyon trail, go around by Spring Lake to that road.
Many also go up W. Richardson Rd. on the other side, which is a little steeper but smoother road than Canyon.

Try the routes around the Lake Illsano- such as the continuation of Canyon or North Burma.
Spring Creek is a nice single track that's only slightly steep, may be a nice way to go down.There's a picnic table at the top of Spring Creek next to the dam by the lake.

Marsh through the redwoods is nice, as well as Ridge. Slightly more than beginner, but just walk any short bad section.

Orchard and Cobblestone is a nice way out too, but you have to take a short section of Rough Go over to it. That part might involve some walking for a beginner.

For a beginner DON'T do:
Rough Go, South Burma (although maybe OK now with the re-route)

#31 ·
Am I right in saying that this is the trail head? bit.ly/WusdL8

that is a link but i can't place it bec i don't have 10 posts yet.
Not quite. Annadel is a bit north of that park, just north of the Santa Rosa Creek reservoir and Spring Lake on the map.

You go up Hwy 101 to right on Hwy 12 in Santa Rosa. Then at the end of Hwy 12, turn left onto Farmers Rd. Then after a couple blocks turn right on Montgomery. Stay to the right at the Y, all the way to Spring Lake / Annadel on the right. We usually park along Channel Dr, to the left after crossing over a little bridge to get into the park.

#34 ·
Rode yesterday amazing conditions and one of the best rides I can remember in awhile! Annadel is one of my favorite places to ride in Cali.

Route cobblestone, rough go, marsh, lawndale, hit the road, ridge, S burma, N burma. 24 miles of amazing singletrack.

One thing I have ridden there many times not sold on the S burma reroute. Ridden in way wetter conditions in past and don't ever remember it being that boggy. Old route was super rocky and fun never wet. The top half of reroute was fine but the last 300 feet was a swamp. Hope it gets better with time, but right now a serious Fail.

Can't get that bummed 24 awesome miles and only 300 feet of peanut butter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.