Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Annadel, Info & Routes for 1/24? *No, 1/28...*

Hi all,

Tomorrow looks to be a rare day where I can head out for, well, pretty much the day. Hoping to leave East Bay somewhat early and head up to Annadel. No so familiar with Annadel but hoping to get in 20-28 miles or so, something like that. Climbing not a problem. Can some of you guys post some suggested routes and guidelines? Hoping to make the most of it, so your info and help would be much appreciated.

If you had the time and were up for the day with the time needed looking for some mileage, what would you do?

Many thanks in advance!
    Oliver
    Last edited by three3nine; 01-25-2013 at 09:04 PM.

mtbr member
    It rained today, so it'll be fairly wet up there-- it was already kind of saturated.

A good route is to start on Channel Drive:

Go up Channel Trail, Richardson, up 2 Quarry (thus avoiding lots of mud), L. on Marsh, Down Lawndale, R. on the road, R.on Shultz road, up Shultz trail, L. on Ridge (left again to stay on ridge after the fire road), R. on Marsh, L. on S. Burma, R. on Richardson, L. on North Burma, L. on Live Oak, R. on Rough Go, R. on Orchard, L. On Cobblestone back to your car.

That's about 23-25 miles. You can also include going all the way down Rough Go and then up Spring Creek for extra miles.

Have fun!
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks for the guidance. It's funny how rain affects different spots. In the last two weeks I've ridden Redwood/JMP (backyard ride), Tamarancho, China Camp, Skeggs, Skyline Napa and Henry Cowell/UCSC and it really runs the gamut. Coming around the counterclockwise loop at CC it's downright boggy toward the end, but above UCSC Monday was summer-like and almost dusty in some areas! Skeggs is pretty good, Tamarancho still has a couple mucky sections, but considering its still January, no complaints here...

Thanks for the info, if you think that's a pretty good route, I'll check it out.

Uncle
    GuruAtma knows Annadel, and I can confirm that he's offered up a great ride route. Go get it.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    agree, guru's route is a 'classic' ride at adel...lots of flowy singletrack, lots of rocks, good climbs, etc...it will probably be pretty muddy in spots but adel is just a great spot to ride. i can't wait to get back there!

mtbr dismember

One better

I know South Burma has been changed a bit since my last ride there. But I don't know why people go up Two Quarry when they can go up South Burma. I think it's perhaps the best trail at Annadel, both going up and down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey Ollie

The route suggested is a good one. I wish you were going on 1-25 as I would gladly show you the goods. Redwood/JMP is my back yard ride as well, so let me know when you are riding those. I rode Skeggs on Sun and it was GREAT except for the downed trees on Blue blossom.

NedwannaB
    Possibly TwoQ for getting onto the s/t earliest in the ride when starting into the park up WP Richardson. Granted it's a workout right out of the gate tho.

As for SB changes, now that the re-routed bottom section has recently been officially closed off, we'll have to see how the new section works with the added downhill, or for a better word descending traffic picks up. Nothing technical in the new section which tends to lead to faster speeds which could end up with some sketchy 2 way interactions with uphill multi-trail users, i.e. bike/horse/hiker.

If you haven't been on it yet(the new section) WW, I'm sure you'll approve when you do!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Argh, may not make it up today, but maybe tomorrow is better. Could be dryer, maybe less overcast.
    I should have just left early instead of trying to get a few things done before leaving!

Thanks Guru and all for your route info, I'll follow it and am hoping to go tomorrow.

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    I know South Burma has been changed a bit since my last ride there. But I don't know why people go up Two Quarry when they can go up South Burma. I think it's perhaps the best trail at Annadel, both going up and down.
    I'm no annadel regular, but I pick two quarry because the steep+loose rock offer up a climbing challenge.

mtbr dismember

Map

mtbr member
    Great resource, thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    probably too sloppy today, sun hasn't come out yet today, kinda gloomy
    tomorrow should be better

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Ollie,

Since your plan changed to tomorrow, I'll show you around and we'll be a carpool to minimize traffic. I live in Montclair.

mtbr member
    Just beat the dark getting out of the park. Bottom of S Burma is a field of like 1/4 inch greasy mud over stickier dirt. Scattered puddles on every trail, but other than the wet rocks (what rocks?) traction wasn't terrible. Great temperature.

On a side note, my super dependable norcal tire combo (2.3 Butcher, 2.0 Fast Trak, tubeless) was sub-dependable. Better luck to you!

mtbr member
    The new South Burma is a giant mud pit at the bottom. When it's wet, you ride trough a hundred meters of mushy peanut butter. The new trail is supposed to be more sustainable and such, but it's not really an improvement over the old one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by R.E. View Post
    Ollie,

Since your plan changed to tomorrow, I'll show you around and we'll be a carpool to minimize traffic. I live in Montclair.
    That could be fun, I'm in Montclair too. I've got one or two things to do pretty early but could be ready by 9:30 or so, I'll PM you in the morning early. Maybe we can avoid the 1/4 mile long mud slick previously mentioned. I could carpool as long as you like coffee on the way up, maybe a beer after the ride. No religious conversations, direct-sales pitches, etc...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma View Post
    Go up Channel Trail, Richardson, up 2 Quarry (thus avoiding lots of mud), L. on Marsh, Down Lawndale, R. on the road, R.on Shultz road, up Shultz trail, L. on Ridge (left again to stay on ridge after the fire road), R. on Marsh, L. on S. Burma, R. on Richardson, L. on North Burma, L. on Live Oak, R. on Rough Go, R. on Orchard, L. On Cobblestone back to your car.
    Guru thanks for posting this. I have to go to Calistoga for work on Tuesday, and it's been many moons since I have had the pleasure to ride Annadel, so the MTB is coming wit me! Thank you for posting this as it will be very helpful. I followed your route on the park map perfectly, except right near the end. Just to confirm, is it a right on Cobblestone off Orchard instead of a left? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
    Guru thanks for posting this. I have to go to Calistoga for work on Tuesday, and it's been many moons since I have had the pleasure to ride Annadel, so the MTB is coming wit me! Thank you for posting this as it will be very helpful. I followed your route on the park map perfectly, except right near the end. Just to confirm, is it a right on Cobblestone off Orchard instead of a left? Thanks.
    Uh, from orchard to cobblestone turn whichever way takes you downhill. Maybe left.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Coffee is a must to get the juices flowing and the post ride beer is always a nice reward! No sales pitches or religous lingo allowed.....my God its a ride.....oops I mentioned God

mtbr member
    Haha, I knew it... Dang, you better get on without me, it will be Monday for me. Best laid plans gone awry, I'll be tied up until noon and will just have to hit Marin I think...but everyone's help with routes will be appreciated soon enough...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Make the best hand out of all the cards dealt! I will hit JMP and Redwood today if you don't hit Marin, let me know. email me volklmon AT mSn.c0m.

NedwannaB

Depends

Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
    Just to confirm, is it a right on Cobblestone off Orchard instead of a left? Thanks.
    Basically after you take the right off of RGo onto Orchard, the next intersection you'll come to is Orchard/Orchard Loop just after a short steep run up. If you go left onto "The Loop" you'll eventually come around and want to take the left putting you back onto Orchard. Then you'll stay right at the next intersection farther down which intersects Cobblestone. That will take you down to Channel Dr. Presuming that's where you started. If you go left there, it will eventually intersect back farther down RGo, which isn't a bad way to go down either. You'll hit Canyon fire road and staying right there you can skirt Spring Lake back to Channel Dr.

If you stay right on Orchard instead of Loop, you take the "rights" all the way down.
    Last edited by JMac47; 01-25-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: typo
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Slowest Rider
    Annadel is one of the few parks where just about any route is great. In spite of the "perfect" ride recommendations, I've done most all trails there in all directions and it's all good.

You can ride up the hill on any trail, bounce around the trails like a pinball, and fall back down to the flat paved perimeter road any time you want to leave. (Don't Tilt!) Ride a mile or two on the level road back to your car.

That said, there's some minor advice:
    Many climb up the smooth steep Richardson Rd. Take Two Quarry only if you want a steep tough technical work out.
    Easiest way up into the park is the Canyon Rd on the other side of the park. It's not as steep as Richardson and more technical with lots of rocks. At the top it connects to the fun climb up the wooded Marsh singletrack to South Burma.
    For extra ride, many go down swoopy Lawndale and back up Shultz.
    Don't miss the steep and technical South Burma. Fun both directions.
    North Burma up top near the lake is swoopy and fun.
    You need to ride Rough Go and Cobblestone. Fun to climb up, and even more fun to come down at the end of ride, dropping you right at your car that's usually parked on Channel Dr there.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by R.E. View Post
    Make the best hand out of all the cards dealt! I will hit JMP and Redwood today if you don't hit Marin, let me know. email me volklmon AT mSn.c0m.
    Ended up at Tamarancho today, overall many areas still pretty mucky, but weather was awesome, so very nice.

I'll email you in a sec., I'm in for Annadel Monday and tomorrow Redwood/JMP around 10 or 11...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast