Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    singletrack bound

Annadel First Timer

The wife and I will be up in Yountville later this weekend into early next week. I'm thinking of driving over to Annadel on Monday AM and get a ride in. I don't do Garmin so I will be navigating by trail map and we all know how that can be.
    I'm a grandpa good for 3hrs/3000'/30mi ?
    I have a couple options on bikes, all hardtails , steel SS 29er or Steel 1 x 10 or a plastic HT 3 x 10. It would be nice if I could get someone to give me a tour that knows the best directions to ride.
    I'm not into racing and I don't go real slow. Love climbing and screaming descents! Generally just having a good time on two [BIG] wheels.

So early Monday AM I will be heading for the Channel Dr. TH parking lot and doing my best to put together a good ride none the less......

Tone~
    Sorrel Seeker !!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Check the BikeMonkey site for the Annadel race course map (only the part that's in the park). The way they run the long course captures the best trails in the best direction (down Lawndale, up Schulz, down Ridge, etc.) You can catch the course on Channel Dr and head down the road...

singletrack bound
    Thanks for the tip. I will do that.
    Sorrel Seeker !!

mtbr member
    from lawndale pretty sick long loop probably 25 miles or so. take paved road to up schultz, to ridge, up marsh, down south burma, down north burma, channel to up cobblestone, to orchard, ride along lake to canyon, up marsh all the way to down Lawndale. All singletrack best riding in bay area you'll be stoked.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/480/fi...ochure2012.pdf

singletrack bound
    I like it. I will consider this route for sure.
    Sorrel Seeker !!

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by scootdogss View Post
    from lawndale pretty sick long loop probably 25 miles or so. take paved road to up schultz, to ridge, up marsh, down south burma, down north burma, channel to up cobblestone, to orchard, ride along lake to canyon, up marsh all the way to down Lawndale. All singletrack best riding in bay area you'll be stoked.

Whatever you do, make sure your route includes (1) going North (descent) on Ridge to Marsh; (2) going North on South Burma (ascent and descent) and (3) going North on North Burma (gnarly descent). You will have so much fun. I like to make the North Burma descent the end of a ride, as it takes you back near the parking area.

I ride this on a HT 29er with 2x10. The descents particularly North Burma have sometimes made me wish for a full squish bike, as they have some pretty chunky spots that would probably be even MORE fun with rear suspension, but it is no problem on a HT.

If you like really technical climbing, it is here but can also easily be avoided/circumvented as there is almost always a more moderate way up the hills.

Ariolimax columbianus
    Tone, only been a few times, with some great guides though. Everything's super well marked, don't think you'll have any problems navigating with a map and a good route. Just make sure you go down lawndale, up Schultz, and follow others folks directions from there to take the longest way with the most singletrack back to channel dr.

Have fun, I'm sure it will be scorching hot. I was actually up in healdsburg last weekend and did a sweet cx ride from the house we were staying @ on w.dry creek rd. Very reminiscent of some Santa Cruz county backroads with some bonus redwoods too.

Didn't make the lil party last nite @black cat bikes but will definitely be by soon. Definitely gonna try to hitch onto a Wed nite ride, but schools almost out and Oregon's a callin.

mtbr member

Annadel First Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Jfloren View Post
    If you like really technical climbing, it is here but can also easily be avoided/circumvented as there is almost always a more moderate way up the hills.
    It's the tech climbing that I really like at Annadel. A 5" FS bike, set up soft and open with big knobbies is a lot of fun for picking your way though the rocks.

My favorite route starts in Howarth Park, Spring Lake Park, up Rough Go, make my way over to S. Burma. South on S. Burma, down Lawndale, up Schulzle, down Ridge, down Marsh, down Spring Creek. Of course I mix things up and hit other trails, but these are the highlights.
    Spring Creek is a lot of fun, rocky and techy at the top, swoopy and flowy at the bottom.

For the record, I have never had a bad day at Annadel. There are no bad routes there. Every trail is fun going up or down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone View Post
    I like it. I will consider this route for sure.
    Good route suggestions. Picking up on the race route loop somewhere is good although I would make a change to come down Cobblestone vs Canyon FRd to avoid that portion to the finish, and the rest of it heading back out to Channel Dr specially if you started out on Lawndale.

If you guys are coming from Y-ville, and want to get started riding asap, staging at Lawndale dirt parking lot off Hwy 12 would be best considering you'd finish coming down Lawndale Tr. If you want to get some refreshments soon after the ride tho, I'd suggest starting farther up 12 over on Channel Drive, or in Howarth Park where you can finish down Cobblestone TR.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    For the record, I have never had a bad day at Annadel. There are no bad routes there. Every trail is fun going up or down.
    Concur!
    Last edited by JMac47; 05-11-2013 at 01:53 PM. Reason: typo

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by scootdogss View Post

after giving some thought, I'm thinking of going with your route suggestion scootdogss.
    Coming from Yountville starting my ride from Lawndale and traversing the whole park and returning to Lawndale sounds pretty good for this first timer.
    Sunscreen and three water bottles with some food and an early start should get me back to the car before it gets too hot!!!!
    Oh, I also decided to bring the plastic HT with lots of gears!
    Tone.
    Sorrel Seeker !!

mtbr member
    You're going to love Annadel.

singletrack bound
    Thank for all the replies and help.
    We are leaving here soon to Yountville to hang by the pool and relax. I will be leaving very early tomorrow AM so I can get back in the afternoon to continue to hang around the pool and relax. Looking forward to this short getaway.
    Rep's to Scootdoggs!
    Tone~
    Sorrel Seeker !!

mtbr member
    Bring two spare tubes and a good pump. The rocks can surprise you.

NedwannaB
    All s/t except connecting Lawndale to Schultz TH:

And when you drop NBurma, go left on s/t, which is Channel Tr. that paralells the road. It will dump you out at the Park office. Then it's a bit of road on Channel Dr. back to Cobblestone TH. Heads up CStone is an up trail from the get go. Stay left when you get up to the first 3 intersections.

First one is after you cross the open meadow when you level out for the first time after climbing and come out of the trees, you'll see a trail on your right which comes up from off of Violetti Street fire road from Spring Lake Park. 2nd being "Cobblestone" which will come in on your on your right in the trees after leveling out in the next open meadow. It comes over from Rough Go. 3rd being "The Loop" coming in from above on your right as it comes back around. As I said, stay left(straight actually) here and continue to the next trail marker which will be Orchard coming up. Stay right and do the whole loop, then come back around to this point again, dropping left down to where it will meet Rough Go. Go left at the bottom where you'll traverse and eventually climb some techy sections, then crest up and over you'll see Live Oak coming up on your left. Stay right and continue on RGo down to the lake.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    Bring two spare tubes and a good pump. The rocks can surprise you.
    Or just tubeless. They're really not that surprising.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Or just tubeless. They're really not that surprising.....
    Annadel is one of only two places that I have blown the side out of a tubeless tire, and needed to add a tube.

I was at the top of a hill (I tore the rear tire climbing), and my pump didn't work. I saw two locals, nice guys, just ahead. THEY had stopped to change a tube. I walked over with my wheel, trying to look pathetic, so I could borrow a pump.

I was surprised to see they had a full size Lezyne FLOOR pump they were using. I politely asked if I could borrow the pump when they were done. Imagine my surprise when the second guy pulled ANOTHER full size Lezyne floor pump out of his camelbak, and handed it to me.

All of this indicates to me that flat tires are pretty common. I know that my flat was based on unfamiliarity, but these guys were locals and had a flat too.

NedwannaB
    Whoah. Those had to be pretty hefty packs! I've seen a couple kids with them sticking precariously out of their day packs too.

But seriously there is a fare share of tire slashing sections up there in the park. I've been pretty lucky over the years.

singletrack bound
    OK.....
    Annadel ROCKS !!!! Literally !

I drove over from Yountville. That little windy road going over from Napa Valley to Sonoma Valley is a pretty twisty and a steep little grinder of a road. Found lawndale Rd. off HWY 12 and went right past the parking lot up to Schultz Rd. Pulled off knowing I went too far so turned around and found the Lawndale Parking lot. Parked, unloaded sunscreened up and headed up the pavement back to Schultz Rd. Down Schultz to the Schultz Trail Head. I had my little cheat sheet in my pocket and was looking at the map on the board and a Park Ranger pulled up and asked if I wanted a map." Sure that would be great " I said, So we spoke about the park briefly and he asked me what route I had planned and I explained to him that I was going over to the Channel Dr entrance and back a different route. He looked at me and slowly said "that's going to be an all day ride". I thought, oh shazzam, I don't think I'm in for an all day ride but I told him I thought I could cover anywhere from 7 to 10 miles per hour and I figured 3 to 4 hours max.
    Off I go and start the climb up Schultz and the first thing that comes to mind is "Damn, this place is rocky", well, I got used to that in a real hurry. Things went well as I used the map and my cheat sheet to navigate Schultz to Ridge which had some real fun section in it. Right onto Marsh to Buick Meadow down south Burma down North Burma to Channel Dr. Trail Head. On this decent is where my map fell out of my jersey. Damn, I lost my map! I came out past the entrance and headed over to Cobblestone and right in front of Cobblestone TH was a parking lot with five guys getting ready to head out for a ride. I swung by and mentioned I came from Lawndale and I was planning to head back that way and just lost my map. They didn't seem to care either way so I said "have a good ride" and put my head down and began up Cobblestone. Good name, Cobblestone! Headed up Cobblestone a couple miles and I think I went right onto Rough Go and rolled myself down to Canyon Trail Head where there was a water spigot and a parking lot.
    Here is where not having the map began to rear its ugly head. Just about now I was thinking sh$t, I'm not on track and my cheat sheet isn't helping much. Moments later, this car whizzes by with a Jet 9 on the roof and pulls into the parking lot. Cool I'm thinking. I roll over and this guy gets out and I tell him I'm out from Lawndale and I'm trying to get back. He said he was going that way and he would show me the way back. That was pretty cool so "Steven" from Novato I think he said, and I rolled back up Canyon back to Marsh past two quarry back to Lawndale and made it back to my car in just over three hours! Nice ride and a beautiful park. we traded cell #'s and he said he comes down to Santa Cruz every once in awhile and I offered to show him some of our "buffed redwood duff" trails should he make it our way.
    Now I'm back in my car and the wife calls and says, "hey, are you going to make it back by 2 ? I sald yes, she said she had something planned for us so I got back and jumped into the pool to cool off and we promptly went and got full body massages with aroma therapy and the works!
    Life is good!

I Phone stats: 27.96 mi. 3:27 ride time 26:50 min rest time 3:54 min elapsed time.
    8.1 mph ave ride time.

Ride on ya all !!
    Last edited by Tone No Balone; 05-15-2013 at 08:07 AM.
    Sorrel Seeker !!

mtbr member
    Hey, quick question? I carry no devices with me....... Can anyone give a rough estimate of mileage for the following route. Just did it today and had a great time. Annadel is indeed pretty fantastic...

From the Horse trailer parking lot...
    Up W. Richardson Fire road
    Up Two Quarry
    Right on Marsh to South Burma
    Around the lake counter-clockwise using Lake Fire Road and part of Rough Go
    Back down Marsh to Two Quarry, and down to Parking lot.

Thanks for any replies.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    13.7 miles +/-

nice ride tone - always fun going from one end to the other.

mtbr member
    Thanks so much socobiker.

singletrack bound
    I have to say, Annadel is a perfect example of how a California State Park can offer multi-use trails. while I was out on Monday I came across a couple different groups of equestrians which of course I stopped and got off my bike for and they were very nice. One lady even said to go ahead and ride on by it OK.
    Also came across a few runners on some narrow ST and we exchanged hellos as we passed by each other. Saw a work crew hanging out at a main trail junction and they were pretty cool too!(hanging in the shade on a park bench)
    The park ranger I met at the start of my ride mentioned that the mountain bikers have represented @ Annadel in a big way.
    Now I come home to my local St. Park with its limited "open to bikes" trails but oh well.....
    There are no legal trails in Santa Cruz....
    Sorrel Seeker !!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone View Post
    I have to say, Annadel is a perfect example of how a California State Park can offer multi-use trails. while I was out on Monday I came across a couple different groups of equestrians which of course I stopped and got off my bike for and they were very nice. One lady even said to go ahead and ride on by it OK.
    Also came across a few runners on some narrow ST and we exchanged hellos as we passed by each other. Saw a work crew hanging out at a main trail junction and they were pretty cool too!(hanging in the shade on a park bench)
    The park ranger I met at the start of my ride mentioned that the mountain bikers have represented @ Annadel in a big way.
    Now I come home to my local St. Park with its limited "open to bikes" trails but oh well.....
    There are no legal trails in Santa Cruz....
    I feel the same way. The other thing about Annadel that's nice for a state park is that the trails are not sanitized to death. I know there has been some sanitation that has occurred but overall it feels like many of the rocky bits have been left alone.

mtbr member
    Going to be doing Annadel for the first time in a couple of weeks.
    How does this look for a route?

Annadel First Timer-annadelparkmap.jpg

hoping to get about 25-30 miles.

Any suggestions on altering the route would be much appreciated.

Should I park at Channel trail trailhead?

We plan on heading over to Russian River Brewery after the ride if that makes a difference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast