Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Alright peeps - heading to N* and I could use intermediate trail recommendations!

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  OWCango 
#1 ·
The opportunity has presented itself to head up and enjoy the riches of N*. While I think I could use another year+ of riding experience to really take advantage of the place, I can't pass this up. I'm going up with a buddy who is advanced and rocks it, and I'm totally stoked. But I remind myself that -

I don't have health insurance, and I reeeally don't want to get hurt right now with everything going on in my life.
This will essentially be my 3rd ride since getting back on the saddle after over a year and a half off.

Prior to my break (a forced break because my rockhopper was stolen) I was riding some of the more advanced trails in Santa Cruz. Granted I ate it quite a few times but I could hang with my hardtail among my buddies with bigger bikes as long as I avoided the cray-cray stuff.

I think what I'm going to be gravitating towards are fun blue square runs and maybe a diamond or two with optional stuff. Being a big skiier, I'm always hungering for the adrenaline and challenge, but I gotta keep myself in check as I'm still learning my way in FR/DH. I shy away from larger jumps, but enjoy technical and smaller features. I'll be riding on my Nomad, and I'm still getting to know what she's capable of. I DO know that she's capable of a lot more than what I'm doing with her, but I'm still adjusting from riding a hardtail for so long.

Suggestions?

And yes, I will be wearing full body armor, full face, etc. And I will be taking it easy and splitting up with my buddy if he gets impatient (I know I sure as hell do when I'm skiing with people who are holding me back). This is a much needed vacation, no need for a ton of stress! :)

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
At Northstar the difference between an intermediate and a single black diamond is largely how much you have to pedal. If you're comfortable on the intermediate, check out some of the single blacks from the vista lift such as Flameout, Over under, Sinuous, etc. Just stay away from the double blacks that go straight down under the Vista lift (Karpiel, Sticks and Stones, Dog Bone). Those are WAY more technical than the single blacks.

I would be more cautious of the single blacks off the Zephyr lift (Livewire and Gypsy). I would consider those like 1.5 diamonds.

Just slow down and you'll be fine. I know you said intermediate, but I usually get annoyed by how much pedaling is involved. Pedaling a heavy bike at high altitude with pads and a full face gets old real fast. I'm all for earning your turns, but at Northstar you're paying for them with cash. Or that's my $.02 at least.

#4 ·
I'm intermediate and had a blast taking the vista lift to the top this past weekend and doing Big Trees (Blue square) down to the split with FlameOut (single black). We were tired so opted for the fire trail down a bit but FlameOut is suppose to be fun and then connects you to the lower blue square trails that were super fun also like Mine Shaft and Woods. They are short trails but packed with fun. Enjoy!

#5 ·
Cheers guys!

Yeah it sounds like I'll have a blast no matter what. Was talking to a buddy of mine who was saying that, especially on a bike like a Nomad, you can actually have a ton of fun on the more XC -style blue squares because they're less crowded than stuff like livewire and a bit longer runs with plenty of stuff to play on. I can't wait!!

#7 ·
Good blue trail to get you legs would be Coaster. Its a bit of a fire road then into basic single track, its a good first run for starters. From there you can progress into more, if you want a bit more I would hit Tryumph to Speed Control to Manure Pile into Pho Dogg. That is a pretty fun run down and all the beginners I have taken through that route really enjoyed it. Like others said, Flameout is great as is Woods, Big Trees, Playground....... I would not worry too much as long as you stay away from the Double blacks. Most of the hard sections you can either walk or may have a ride around. You will have a blast.

#8 ·
You'll love Flameout on your Nomad. I like it on my AM bike and hate it on my DH bike. :) Middle. Section. So. Flat!

Woods has a ~18" drop on it right near the top, but nothing else like it the rest of the way.

Kickback is super short but super flowy too.

All the trails are all pretty short, so it's worthwhile taking it easy first time down to eyeball everything.

And (as always except right after a rain) it is suuuuupppper loose up there right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.