Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 56
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nachomc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,724

    Aggressive Drivers in Auburn

    Some friends and I rode the divide loop yesterday in Auburn. While crossing from Drivers Flat to the Upper Lot, a driver coming down the hill honked at us, even though we were all the way across. Then as we rode on the shoulder from Lower Lot to where our trucks were parked, a guy in an Outback (who had just been parked at Lower Lot) honked at us as he drove by.

    WTF?

    Have any of you observed increased aggression up there from drivers or was it just one of those days? I don't think I have ever been honked at while riding up there, and got it twice in one day.
    :wq

  2. #2
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,870
    It's bad (and seemingly getting worse) everywhere now.

    I did a lake loop a few weeks back and we had 6 substantially bad encounters. Someone threw a beer at me a few weeks ago. Really wish I caught it, I was thirsty.

    When you put on cycling clothes and hop on a road, you're not a human or an equal anymore. You instantly change into someone people hate. It's pretty unreal.

    The amount of people that outright hates cyclists seems to be growing. Which pretty much sucks when you're just trying to commute to work or get out and spin with your kid.

  3. #3
    Resident Curmudgeon
    Reputation: Buzz Cut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,495
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    It's bad (and seemingly getting worse) everywhere now.

    I did a lake loop a few weeks back and we had 6 substantially bad encounters. Someone threw a beer at me a few weeks ago. Really wish I caught it, I was thirsty.

    When you put on cycling clothes and hop on a road, you're not a human or an equal anymore. You instantly change into someone people hate. It's pretty unreal.

    The amount of people that outright hates cyclists seems to be growing. Which pretty much sucks when you're just trying to commute to work or get out and spin with your kid.
    I chalk it up as the result of too many interactions with cyclists that blow stop lights, stop signs, ride the wrong way, block lanes. If we as a group want to garner respect on the roads we need to stop riding like jackasses and stop giving them reasons to hate us. just my .02
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

  4. #4
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Cut View Post
    I chalk it up as the result of too many interactions with cyclists that blow stop lights, stop signs, ride the wrong way, block lanes. If we as a group want to garner respect on the roads we need to stop riding like jackasses and stop giving them reasons to hate us. just my .02
    Do these same people try to kill other motorists who do the same?

    I'm guessing they don't.

    They pick on cyclists because they know that they are in a two ton metal cage with a couple hundred horsepower, and the cyclist is wearing the equivalent of a Styrofoam cup and board shorts.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  5. #5
    AKD
    AKD is online now
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Reputation: AKD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Cut View Post
    I chalk it up as the result of too many interactions with cyclists that blow stop lights, stop signs, ride the wrong way, block lanes. If we as a group want to garner respect on the roads we need to stop riding like jackasses and stop giving them reasons to hate us. just my .02
    I don't get this reasoning. Driving home from skiing last night, there were long stretches where I was stuck behind someone going 60 mph in the fast lane on 80, five or six drivers who were weaving in and out of traffic, doing 90-100 mph, and a corvette driver who didn't like me leaving 2.5 seconds of following distance from the car in front (while going 75 mph) and passed me on the left shoulder. Where's the outrage for this kind of stuff? Like Le Duke says, it's easy to be a tough guy when you're surrounded by steel and can escape a situation by applying slight pressure with your right foot.

  6. #6
    Brand Ambassador SuperModerator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,085
    I've never had an issue there. Sure some drive way too fast but they have never shown aggression. Just a bad day I think. I try to limit my time on the road though.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nachomc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,724
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    I've never had an issue there. Sure some drive way too fast but they have never shown aggression. Just a bad day I think. I try to limit my time on the road though.
    Hope so. We only rode FHDL yesterday, and parked in a dirt lot about a half mile from lower lot (to avoid the fees). Only time on the road was crossing at Drivers Flat and then the short pedal from lower lot to the cars.
    :wq

  8. #8
    Brand Ambassador SuperModerator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,085
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc View Post
    Hope so. We only rode FHDL yesterday, and parked in a dirt lot about a half mile from lower lot (to avoid the fees). Only time on the road was crossing at Drivers Flat and then the short pedal from lower lot to the cars.
    You know, last week when we rode there, there were a lot of overweight roadies climbing Old Foresthill Rd. and hanging out way in the road. One was actually on the wrong side of the yellow line. Most people stick close to the shoulder but not these people. Could be there were more idiots like this riding around and the drivers you encountered we're already bugged.

  9. #9
    James.Hamilton
    Reputation: FullBladdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    762
    I have had many instances of aggression towards bicyclists in Auburn area. This is something that has been going on for years and does seem to be getting a little worse. From beer bottles to ice cubes, spare change and garbage, I have had all of those things thrown at me over the years. I have seen it on the road and when out in the towns in that area. Getting closer to how Downieville feels sometimes.

    I was doing a road Folsom Lake loop and when descending into the confluence a woman in a white pick up going the other way honked and gave me the finger. I was not even impacting the smallest part of her life but she took the energy to flip me the bird. Some people just suck.

    Bikers not following the rules does hold some weight but that is not what the main issue is. One thought that I have is that biking, especially the level we do with the expensive gear that most own, may be seen as a slap in the face for those in more economically depressed communities. We are on bikes that cost more than their cars, out having fun, in shape and smiling. Haters don't like people smiling.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nachomc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,724
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    You know, last week when we rode there, there were a lot of overweight roadies climbing Old Foresthill Rd. and hanging out way in the road. One was actually on the wrong side of the yellow line. Most people stick close to the shoulder but not these people. Could be there were more idiots like this riding around and the drivers you encountered we're already bugged.
    I don't know why but the pavement on the shoulder is hammered. The one time I rode my road bike up there I practically had to pedal on the downhill to keep moving. It sucks. That's probably why they're on the line or in the lane. Of course, if you hadn't ridden it you wouldn't know that, so I bet that doesn't help when a driver sees a five foot shoulder and some "jerk" cyclist taking the lane.
    :wq

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cragnshag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    142
    Truly happy people who are content with their lives do not show aggression towards bike riders. Unfortunately there is nothing that the bike rider can really do, except to be thankful they are not living the life of an angry/unhappy person.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    356
    Welcome to MAGA

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    285
    Yup!

    My experience (riding both road and mtb on roads in A-town), never really have any bad experiences with drivers. Of course I obey traffic laws . Maybe I just get lucky?

    Quote Originally Posted by cragnshag View Post
    Truly happy people who are content with their lives do not show aggression towards bike riders. Unfortunately there is nothing that the bike rider can really do, except to be thankful they are not living the life of an angry/unhappy person.
    2016 Fuji Grand Fondo Classico 1.3
    2016 Ridley X Trail
    2013 Mount Vision XM6

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: b0bg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Cut View Post
    I chalk it up as the result of too many interactions with cyclists that blow stop lights, stop signs, ride the wrong way, block lanes. If we as a group want to garner respect on the roads we need to stop riding like jackasses and stop giving them reasons to hate us. just my .02
    No...Just No. Self appointed vigilantes going around endangering the lives of other people because "bicyclists are scofflaws" is a logical and moral failure on every single level. Making excuses for them is defending the indefensible.

    Actual videos of drivers threatening riders is just barely enough to get occasional attention from law enforcement in the most extreme cases. This fact plus the steel and airbag safety bubble drivers enjoy over the vulnerable cyclists mean there's almost no downside for the driver. Being effectively immune to consequences is what makes this behavior so prevalent. Nothing short of real consequences for dangerous drivers will solve the problem.

    If a cop sees a cyclist break the law, then fine: write them up, but don't try to sell the BS line that until every cyclist is a perfect law abider on the road none of us should expect to be safe.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    13
    In a decade we will all have cameras on our bikes and be able to identify and hopefully take action against these aggressive people. Motorists target cyclists because there is no consequence in doing so. Until that changes the behavior won't.

  16. #16
    Air Pirate
    Reputation: Bokchoicowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc View Post
    Some friends and I rode the divide loop yesterday in Auburn. While crossing from Drivers Flat to the Upper Lot, a driver coming down the hill honked at us, even though we were all the way across. Then as we rode on the shoulder from Lower Lot to where our trucks were parked, a guy in an Outback (who had just been parked at Lower Lot) honked at us as he drove by.

    WTF?

    Have any of you observed increased aggression up there from drivers or was it just one of those days? I don't think I have ever been honked at while riding up there, and got it twice in one day.
    Retro back to what Nacho originally said: The two drivers honked at him and his friends.

    Nacho, what kind of honks were these? Why did you take offense to them? I mean, was it just a short tap of the horn or was it a long A-hole type of honk?

    I have heard short honks from drivers that were just acknowledging a fellow cyclist...I had some guy give a honk and then the finger who then ended up apologizing as he got closer, explaining he thought I was a buddy of his (I was riding the same brand/model bike) and he was just trying to mess with him.

    The long A-hole type honk, where you hear the sound Doppler up and down as the miscreant drives past, is a different story. No excuse for a driver to do this type of honk.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nachomc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,724
    ^^ Angry HONK HONK HONK HONK from the first lady. The dude in the Outback was a longer honk, not a "beep beep hey bros!" honk.
    :wq

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    293
    If you are roadies and going much slower than traffic and insist on taking a wider than necessary amount of vehicle lane and leaving the perfectly good shoulder clear then to a driver it looks like you are being a douche.
    It happens all day long on Bear Creek Rd. in Orinda/Martinez. Roadies feel entitled so suck up the lane (which is 50MPH limit) and they take the beating.
    Most of the time I can't blame the MV drivers for being pissed.

  19. #19
    AKD
    AKD is online now
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Reputation: AKD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by chasejj View Post
    If you are roadies and going much slower than traffic and insist on taking a wider than necessary amount of vehicle lane and leaving the perfectly good shoulder clear then to a driver it looks like you are being a douche.
    It happens all day long on Bear Creek Rd. in Orinda/Martinez. Roadies feel entitled so suck up the lane (which is 50MPH limit) and they take the beating.
    Most of the time I can't blame the MV drivers for being pissed.
    Same team, Farva.

    Bicycles are allowed on those roads, and are allowed to take the lane (it's quite often safer, as riding the shoulder comes with its own set of hazards and invites super-close passing from fast-moving vehicles).

    Seriously, if you're in a car, it takes zero physical effort to slow down for a couple seconds and pass when it's safe. If that's enough to set someone off to the point of physical violence, I don't see why we're blaming the receiving party.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    293
    Quote Originally Posted by AKD View Post
    Same team, Farva.

    Bicycles are allowed on those roads, and are allowed to take the lane (it's quite often safer, as riding the shoulder comes with its own set of hazards and invites super-close passing from fast-moving vehicles).

    Seriously, if you're in a car, it takes zero physical effort to slow down for a couple seconds and pass when it's safe. If that's enough to set someone off to the point of physical violence, I don't see why we're blaming the receiving party.
    In my experience it often times is not an issue with the shoulder. It is just a the fact that the motorist feels the cyclist is slowing them down for the cyclist's convenience or some feeling of entitlement/political statement.
    If you talk to the motorists who are not ALL aholes. You would realize this.

  21. #21
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,574
    Quote Originally Posted by chasejj View Post
    If you are roadies and going much slower than traffic and insist on taking a wider than necessary amount of vehicle lane and leaving the perfectly good shoulder clear then to a driver it looks like you are being a douche.
    It happens all day long on Bear Creek Rd. in Orinda/Martinez. Roadies feel entitled so suck up the lane (which is 50MPH limit) and they take the beating.
    Most of the time I can't blame the MV drivers for being pissed.
    "Entitled" because they are obeying the law?

    I've been threatened and harassed on a two lane country road while riding the white line. I was told to get off the road. In a mountain valley in a National Forest on a road following a creek, no sidewalk or other roads for 15-20 miles, and only a couple dozen houses in that stretch.

    No impediment to passing, not blocking anything. Some people just hate people on bikes.

    I'm guessing you've never been hit by a car. I have, and it was intentional. The person tried to kill me, and left me in a ditch to die.



    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    293
    My guess is you get lumped in with the Cycling Political Advocates who have fouled the entire community with their BS and demonstrations. It's a real thing and pretty common sentiment among non-cyclists.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: b0bg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by chasejj View Post
    My guess is you get lumped in with the Cycling Political Advocates who have fouled the entire community with their BS and demonstrations. It's a real thing and pretty common sentiment among non-cyclists.
    Then tell your senator, or city council person or call the cops. No one will take away anyone else's right to be annoyed or upset about other people. Being reckless, threatening people, or endangering their safety crosses a line. Horns and buzzing and throwing things are all very illegal and very dangerous, and much worse than douchey roadies being where you don't want them.

  24. #24
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,574
    Quote Originally Posted by chasejj View Post
    My guess is you get lumped in with the Cycling Political Advocates who have fouled the entire community with their BS and demonstrations. It's a real thing and pretty common sentiment among non-cyclists.
    What demonstrations? It's not like I was attending critical mass in downtown Portland.

    I was riding to the right of the white line before the person honked at me and then clipped me at 55mph. In no one's way, obstructing no traffic.

    I now live in a state where CCP* is legal. Still get harassed on country roads, most often by men, usually in pickup trucks. I've had people threaten to kill me, I've had people brake check me, swerve, tight passes, etc. I wonder if they realize that what they are doing would is assault in the eyes of the law, and that I'd be well within my rights to put two in their chest and one in their face should they get out of their vehicle and approach me on foot after such an encounter.

    *Note, I don't own a handgun or have a CCP. But I often wonder if these people that harass cyclists on the road actually contemplate the possible consequences of their actions.

    We had a phrase in a former career: "The enemy gets a vote, too." Those that assault cyclists should think things through. They may not want the confrontation they initiate.



    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nachomc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,724
    Quote Originally Posted by chasejj View Post
    My guess is you get lumped in with the Cycling Political Advocates who have fouled the entire community with their BS and demonstrations. It's a real thing and pretty common sentiment among non-cyclists.
    It's amazing reading comments on cycling stories. People saying they want to hit and kill the cyclist, that cyclists don't pay to support the roads so shouldn't be allowed to use them, etc.

    I'm a person. I'm a dad. I have people who rely on me. I'm riding a bike to manage stress and try to stay fit/healthy so I can continue living for a long time (unless one of you jerks drivers kill me). I have two cars presently, upon which I pay registration, gas tax, etc for both. My 18 lb bicycle is not damaging or stressing the road quite like my 5000 lb vehicle does. I have every right to be on the damn road; give me some space and please don't kill my daughter's dad.
    :wq

  26. #26
    AKD
    AKD is online now
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Reputation: AKD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by chasejj View Post
    In my experience it often times is not an issue with the shoulder. It is just a the fact that the motorist feels the cyclist is slowing them down for the cyclist's convenience or some feeling of entitlement/political statement.
    If you talk to the motorists who are not ALL aholes. You would realize this.
    It's almost like you think I don't also drive a car, and have never been caught up behind a group ride going two-abreast up and down a winding road at speeds well below the limit. And as that driver, I think that the cyclists are out riding for fun or exercise. Is it frustrating? Sure. Like missing an elevator, or being behind a car that slows down before the light turns yellow. Life goes on 30 seconds later. If those cyclists were car enthusiasts instead, I'd be stuck behind a conga line of cars instead of bikes. Traffic is traffic, to varying degrees.

    I don't get the "politics/entitlement" argument. I bike commute to work because it's faster than driving a car, and parking is free. I safely take the vehicle lane from time to time to avoid hazards (mostly Ubers in the bike lane) or pass slower moving vehicles. It's explicitly allowed by the vehicle code. In so doing, I've been road raged and had people use their cars to try to hit me to teach me a lesson. Tell me how I'm supposed to be more conscientious to avoid this?

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    293
    This is a circular argument that never ends. Whining about abusive drivers has been going on for as long as I have ridden(30+ years). Not once have I ever seen a cyclist win the confrontation.
    Ride on. I just ride off road now. I can handle some Dbag hiker pretty easily on my own.

  28. #28
    AKD
    AKD is online now
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Reputation: AKD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    782
    No reason to run away from the conversation now. OP needs socks...

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nachomc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,724
    Quote Originally Posted by AKD View Post
    No reason to run away from the conversation now. OP needs socks...
    Don't blow my cover, dude.
    :wq

  30. #30
    AKD
    AKD is online now
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Reputation: AKD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc View Post
    Don't blow my cover, dude.
    Oh right, sorry. Maybe you'll get safety-orange socks so drivers can see you while you make a political statement by riding three-wide.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,108
    Interesting reading, socks or no. I ride Foresthill Road a LOT as I live up the hill from the upper FDLT trailhead. I've personally never had an incident on FH road in nearly 20 years. I'm always as far to the right as I can get. That upper lot can look deceiving to a motorist coming up on a cyclist. Many times I've hit the brakes certain that someone was still in the road when in fact they were well on to the shoulder.

    I can see both points of view. I too get annoyed when cyclists are riding 3 abreast outside of a 6' shoulder. Obviously I give them a wide berth, still it's just inviting bad behavior by stupid people, not a good combination. There's also LeDukes situation which has happened to me and many friends for which there is absolutely no possible excuse for such behavior.

    I have had issues in the lower foothills (Loomis, Newcastle) and have climbed inside cars swinging at stop lights. Probably didn't do any of us cyclists any favors with those stunts......

    I really try to limit my exposure to cars as much as possible. Luckily I live in a place that allows that, but I get the frustration for those who don't have such a luxury.

  32. #32
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,684
    Quote Originally Posted by chasejj View Post
    If you are roadies and going much slower than traffic and insist on taking a wider than necessary amount of vehicle lane and leaving the perfectly good shoulder clear then to a driver it looks like you are being a douche.
    It happens all day long on Bear Creek Rd. in Orinda/Martinez. Roadies feel entitled so suck up the lane (which is 50MPH limit) and they take the beating.
    Most of the time I can't blame the MV drivers for being pissed.
    Threads about Auburn....

  33. #33
    AKD
    AKD is online now
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Reputation: AKD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Threads about Auburn....
    Auburn has no monopoly on *******s. Clearly, there are some in Orinda.

  34. #34
    Lurkers Union - Local 916
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    352
    But muh genarialzations man! Next thing he's going to tell us we're oppressing his free speech by arguing with him.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    335
    Drove past the trail head parking on Foresthill yesterday doing shuttle runs and a guy starts pedaling across the road when I'm ~30 yards from him going the speed limit. I saw him and braked in time, but he could've been easily turned into a pancake if someone wasn't paying close attention.

  36. #36
    Ariolimax columbianus
    Reputation: nativeson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,288
    lotsa people who drive cars in CA are aggressive....it's just how it is now. too crowded...inadequate infrastructure. self importance, too much value on personal property and material objects. folks have no etiquette, code, or rules of conduct. lame.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nachomc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,724
    Quote Originally Posted by djjohnr View Post
    Drove past the trail head parking on Foresthill yesterday doing shuttle runs and a guy starts pedaling across the road when I'm ~30 yards from him going the speed limit. I saw him and braked in time, but he could've been easily turned into a pancake if someone wasn't paying close attention.
    Shoulda honked at him
    :wq

  38. #38
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,684
    Quote Originally Posted by AKD View Post
    Auburn has no monopoly on *******s. Clearly, there are some in Orinda.
    Ha.. come to Oakland..

  39. #39
    AKD
    AKD is online now
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Reputation: AKD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Ha.. come to Oakland..
    Plenty here in San Francisco. Most have the Uber sticker in their rear window.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Cut View Post
    I chalk it up as the result of too many interactions with cyclists that blow stop lights, stop signs, ride the wrong way, block lanes. If we as a group want to garner respect on the roads we need to stop riding like jackasses and stop giving them reasons to hate us. just my .02
    Others have said how these comments are way off, but what get me steamed the most is that you've included "block lanes." It's touch enough to hear a person driving a car that nearly ran me over and almost hit oncoming traffic shout, "but you were in the middle of the lane!" You're damn right I was. Saving 3 seconds to dangerously overtake a cyclist is not more important than a cyclist's or other motorist's lives.

    Why am I riding in the middle of the road? For your safety and mine. I want to be seen by motorist or let motorists know that it is not safe to overtake me because of oncoming traffic. I also want to avoid getting doored, avoid potholes or all the crap that finds its way I on the side of the road Do I ride in the a middle of the road all the time? No, only when it is necessary. Click the link below for really good info on this and never, ever criticize a cyclist for safely riding in the middle of the road.

    http://cyclingsavvy.org/hows-my-driving/

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

  41. #41
    Brand Ambassador SuperModerator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Great_Egret View Post
    Others have said how these comments are way off, but what get me steamed the most is that you've included "block lanes." It's touch enough to hear a person driving a car that nearly ran me over and almost hit oncoming traffic shout, "but you were in the middle of the lane!" You're damn right I was. Saving 3 seconds to dangerously overtake a cyclist is not more important than a cyclist's or other motorist's lives.

    Why am I riding in the middle of the road? For your safety and mine. I want to be seen by motorist or let motorists know that it is not safe to overtake me because of oncoming traffic. I also want to avoid getting doored, avoid potholes or all the crap that finds its way I on the side of the road Do I ride in the a middle of the road all the time? No, only when it is necessary. Click the link below for really good info on this and never, ever criticize a cyclist for safely riding in the middle of the road.

    FAQ: Why do you ride like that? – CyclingSavvy

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    I'm pretty certain the vast majority of drivers have never read that or anything like it. All they see is a spandex clad guy/girl blocking a lane. So expect to be hated on. This is especially true if you ride narrow rural roads like we have here in Placer. My ranching friends get red in the face when someone brings up road cyclists. lol

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    I'm pretty certain the vast majority of drivers have never read that or anything like it. All they see is a spandex clad guy/girl blocking a lane. So expect to be hated on. This is especially true if you ride narrow rural roads like we have here in Placer. My ranching friends get red in the face when someone brings up road cyclists. lol
    Let them hate all they want. It's the safest way for a cyclist to ride. No matter what they are wearing or skill level.

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

  43. #43
    Sweater
    Reputation: Buzzaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,816
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    I'm pretty certain the vast majority of drivers have never read that or anything like it. All they see is a spandex clad guy/girl blocking a lane. So expect to be hated on. This is especially true if you ride narrow rural roads like we have here in Placer. My ranching friends get red in the face when someone brings up road cyclists. lol
    I know right? Totally cool to take a muddy tractor with a 20' disc down the road slower than most cyclists though. Everyone has trouble with any perspective but their own.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

  44. #44
    Dirty by Nature
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,074
    "Everyone has trouble with any perspective but their own." Boom.

    FWIW, I've been doing some light road riding around the South Bay for the last 4 years with zero problems. My g/f rides a fair amount of road around the Bay Area--also with no problems. I've ridden in other states where it is sketchy, and one constant seems to be rural riding can be a problem wherever you are. Sad.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 03-16-2017 at 07:14 PM.
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

    Nature is not a sidewalk.

  45. #45
    AKD
    AKD is online now
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Reputation: AKD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaro View Post
    I know right? Totally cool to take a muddy tractor with a 20' disc down the road slower than most cyclists though. Everyone has trouble with any perspective but their own.
    Way back when I used to road ride around Davis, we'd get buzzed by the tomato and hay trucks on the two lane roads, because f weirdo spandex liberal hippies, right? The same farmers had no problem ripping up the pavement driving their heavy tracked excavators from one field to the next.

  46. #46
    Resident Curmudgeon
    Reputation: Buzz Cut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Great_Egret View Post
    Others have said how these comments are way off, but what get me steamed the most is that you've included "block lanes." It's touch enough to hear a person driving a car that nearly ran me over and almost hit oncoming traffic shout, "but you were in the middle of the lane!" You're damn right I was. Saving 3 seconds to dangerously overtake a cyclist is not more important than a cyclist's or other motorist's lives.

    Why am I riding in the middle of the road? For your safety and mine. I want to be seen by motorist or let motorists know that it is not safe to overtake me because of oncoming traffic. I also want to avoid getting doored, avoid potholes or all the crap that finds its way I on the side of the road Do I ride in the a middle of the road all the time? No, only when it is necessary. Click the link below for really good info on this and never, ever criticize a cyclist for safely riding in the middle of the road.

    FAQ: Why do you ride like that? ? CyclingSavvy

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    I was referring to the 50 rider packs of Roadies that tool down the road 4 abreast for miles and miles not someone taking the lane for a short stretch where its narrow and no sight lines. Hell we all do that
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    17
    I am in San Jose, had an interesting encounter a few weeks back. Riding Sunday around 11 am, completely empty 4 lane road with a wide shoulder. There is a very large Church there and the only traffic that time of the day is people, coming from Church. There was a bunch of broken glass in a shoulder lane and I took a bit to the left to avoid the glass. A minivan is passing by and if I did not sverve, would clip me with a mirror. I catch up with the van the van half block later on a red traffic light, make a gest to open window and quite politely ask if they heard of a 3 feet rule. The van is full of very nicely dressed people, clearly coming from the Sunday service. They all start yelling and swearing and insulting me, saying that I need to get the F* from the road, go ride somewhere else, etc. I was speachless...

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    61
    This is why I'm surprised that American cyclists don't carry guns. We have more guns than humans in the country. The energy of a two ton vehicle at 45mph is higher than shooting a .45 pistol. If a cyclist is riding they are less likely to hit the target than the motorist is to hit the cyclist. I know we don't want people to do either thing but as an engineer in my mind this is the equivalent situation for each individual being stupidly risky and aggressive. ****

    sent from my blah blah blah...who gives a shit?

  49. #49
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,574
    Quote Originally Posted by vtje View Post
    I am in San Jose, had an interesting encounter a few weeks back. Riding Sunday around 11 am, completely empty 4 lane road with a wide shoulder. There is a very large Church there and the only traffic that time of the day is people, coming from Church. There was a bunch of broken glass in a shoulder lane and I took a bit to the left to avoid the glass. A minivan is passing by and if I did not sverve, would clip me with a mirror. I catch up with the van the van half block later on a red traffic light, make a gest to open window and quite politely ask if they heard of a 3 feet rule. The van is full of very nicely dressed people, clearly coming from the Sunday service. They all start yelling and swearing and insulting me, saying that I need to get the F* from the road, go ride somewhere else, etc. I was speachless...
    I grew up in Wheaton, IL. The home of lovely Wheaton College.

    As a roadie for the first ~4 years of my cycling experience, it was my observation that the single angriest day of the week was Sunday. So, I did everything I could to be racing my bike every Sunday from March through September. Figured I was safer on a closed course P/1/2 crit than riding through the 'burbs.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Le Duke; 03-17-2017 at 06:31 AM.
    Death from Below.

  50. #50
    The Uber Carnivore
    Reputation: Trail Punk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Allan View Post
    I have had issues in the lower foothills (Loomis, Newcastle) and have climbed inside cars swinging at stop lights. Probably didn't do any of us cyclists any favors with those stunts......
    Add Colfax to this list. I ride an Auburn-Colfax road loop several times a year, and on about half the rides, a Colfax driver will act up. But I haven't gone Chuck Norris on one yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Lake front property in Auburn Canyon... er lake? (Auburn Dam)
    By CactusJackSlade in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 02-24-2016, 09:01 AM
  2. Are High Drivers Less Dangerous than Drunk Drivers?
    By mtbxplorer in forum Commuting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2014, 02:47 PM
  3. What drivers are available?
    By cncwhiz in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-06-2013, 06:58 AM
  4. A SS hat drivers
    By the-one1 in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-23-2013, 03:51 PM
  5. Kia Rio Drivers
    By tylerw in forum Car & Biker
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-06-2013, 07:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •