mtbr member
    Aug 2010

After work rides close to Sacramento?

Looking to get in miles during the week to get in shape and ready for N* season. Currently working in W. Sac and need some good trails to hit after work. I have been going to Granite Bay and that is nice but would like to have more variety. Went to Rockville but found it challenging to find a good loop to hit to make the drive justifiable. I get off at 3:30 so it is still early enough to get in a good ride but driving an hour is tough. Just wanted to know if anyone knows anywhere else i could try that is close. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Close to Sac, well not much really. As I live in Carmichael I hope someone chimes in with the goods because I would like the same as well.

A few options that I often use to get some miles in. Instead of granite bay hit up Salmon Falls (Darrington trail). In the general area of SF you can hit the south fork trail, sweetwater and a few others. Getting to the trails may provide a bit easier than GB as the traffic on that two lane road always seems to be backed up. IMO I would choose these trails over GB because they are more challenging.

Other than that I see nothing closer to Sac except poaching horse trails which we all know is no fun and a big no no.... With the sun setting later getting to the trailhead by 4-4:30 gives you tons of time to get in quality miles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yeah, every time I ride the American River bike trail by my house I get frustrated. There is so much potential for decent MTB trails along the river and I personally have never seen a horse from the 1-15 mile markers. I have been out the the Salmon Falls trail once and probably make the trip out that way again. Would be awesome to have something at least half the distance.

mtbr member
    I remember when I lived in Sac we would rotate rides on either Business 80 or Highway 50. We would hit Auburn or Salmon Falls. If you get off work by 3:30, then come next month you will have more than enough time to drive to either and shred. From West Sac, I would hit 80 and do Auburn. Many options there! I think Newcastle has some loops as well.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    Went to Rockville but found it challenging to find a good loop to hit to make the drive justifiable.
    You could check out Lagoon Valley near Vacaville. It's a shorter drive than Rockville. A 10 mile loop with plenty of climbing is easy to string together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    You could check out Lagoon Valley near Vacaville. It's a shorter drive than Rockville. A 10 mile loop with plenty of climbing is easy to string together.

Awesome. Looks like that is a similar distance as Granite bay is. I will check that out this week. Any recommended routes to take?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    Any recommended routes to take?
    Look up the Rockhopper race course on Strava or the GPS program of your choice.

Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Dropshot Champ!
    there is some pretty well defined "grey area" singletrack on the south ride of the american river, all the way from sutters landing to a few miles east of watt avenue.

linking up with the horse/hike-only stuff on the north side after watt, and you can link together hundreds of miles of singletrack from home.

As more than one park ranger has told me, "we do not patrol anything west of hazel...so have at it and be respectful."

you can pm me for some gps tracks or just fish around online. I can give ya a tour after sea otter if you're interested.

Cheers!

President of the Internet
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post

As more than one park ranger has told me, "we do not patrol anything west of hazel...so have at it and be respectful."

Cheers!
    Really?! Maybe not off road, but they are on the bike trail itself. Back in the day the rangers would patrol all the dirt jump spots and try to ticket us kids. Never got caught

I rarely see rangers nowadays
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

http://fairoaksandcarmichaelhomes.com

Ultra Ventanaphile

you can pm me for some gps tracks or just fish around online. I can give ya a tour after sea otter if you're interested.

Cheers!
    That is technically true for SAC COUNTY Rangers, but false for State Parks, in fact wasn't it on this board that they announced State Parks got a grant to pratrol the North shore (East of Hazel) more?

Remember, the ARB is split between two entities, Sac County and their Park Rangers (Backed up by the SSD) patrol Discovery Park to Just west of Hazel, Hazel to Beales and beyond is part of the Gold Fields District for State Parks and is patrolled by State Park Rangers.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Dropshot Champ!
    yes, i was the one that was stopped east of hazel / north shore natoma with some of that grant money. I think I posted about that.

I've been told by more than one ranger that west of hazel they just look for bums, open and lock gates at sunrise/sunset, and don't care about mtn bikers at all.

Obviously, ride at your own risk...but from what I've experienced myself, and been told by other rangers, they pretty much don't care.

President of the Internet
    yes, i was the one that was stopped east of hazel / north shore natoma with some of that grant money. I think I posted about that.

I've been told by more than one ranger that west of hazel they just look for bums, open and lock gates at sunrise/sunset, and don't care about mtn bikers at all.

Obviously, ride at your own risk...but from what I've experienced myself, and been told by other rangers, they pretty much don't care.
    That's good to know, Red. Like I said, I haven't had any Ranger run ins around the river, but have seen some from afar and have avoided them. Course I'm often their after dark. Not that I would poach a trail...
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

http://fairoaksandcarmichaelhomes.com

Air Pirate

It is still playing Russian roulette with chance if you go by hearsay regarding the legality and/or enforcement of the trails along the American River, even if it was spoken by a park ranger. All it takes is a ranger having a bad day who decides to suddenly enforce access restrictions and you may lose your bike to confiscation and be up for a good size ticket and a waste of time at court.

Believe me when I say I think the idea of restricting ANY of the trails along the American River, within Sac Co jurisdiction or the State Park, is complete and utter bulls**t! But law is law, even when it is not spelled out or posted correctly/competently.

What we need is exactly that, an absolute sure way to know what is and is not legal in both jurisdictions. It is too ambiguous now. If we know what is what it might give us a starting point to work toward getting it all opened up.

The OP wanted to know of more opportunity to ride after work in the Sac area, and the river areas and Granite Bay/Folsom Lake are about it without having to drive for a bit outside of what I would call the Sac area. If we open up the riverside trails all the way between Old Sac and Folsom Lake that would be quite the bit of dirt to ride on. Then, if we get everything around Folsom Lake and on up both forks of the river (into Placer and El Dorado counties) opened up, the potential for epic rides would be amazing.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Dropshot Champ!
    It's obviously a risk, but its a very small risk. If you don't wanna ride em, don't ride em.

Plus the amount of stunning women in yoga pants is off the effin charts.

mtb'er
    Here's a 63 mile, mucho dirt, mostly non-compliant route from Sac to Coloma. Course Details | Gold Rush 100 (see Garmin links).

I recommend riding the legal parts of it eastbound on May 11!

Air Pirate
    Plus the amount of stunning women in yoga pants is off the effin charts.
    I used to be a beach city cop with one of my beats being patrol on the sand. Yoga pants? Right....not as scenic compared to the eyefull I would get on a daily basis back then. I guess I am spoiled.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    We will be proposing a Pump Track / Dirt Jump project for Sutter's Landing and need to rally as much support as possible. The community meeting will be at the skate park at Sutter's Landing on Wednesday, June 19th @ 7:00.
    Cheers!