mtbr member
    Jun 2009

advice on day in Marin or Bay Area for one day

hey Northern Californians -

I'm heading to Redwood City for work in late April, and will be heading to LA after. I have one day free in between. I was thinking of seeing if i could rent and hit a hard day of trail work, maybe in Marin...Can you recommend some great spots for this New Englander? promise i won't tell others here

Looking to ride hard for a couple hours, single track, etc obviously preferable.

also, and advice on possible rental from a shop in Marin or any LBS's do demos or anything?

thanks a ton

mtbr member
    For Bike rentals check out Larkspur Bike n Bean, in Larkspur They can also point you in the right direction for trails.

Tamarancho in Fairfax and China Camp in San Rafael are pretty close and offer fun single track. What level of rider are you?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by starry View Post
    hey Northern Californians -

I'm heading to Redwood City for work in late April, and will be heading to LA after. I have one day free in between. I was thinking of seeing if i could rent and hit a hard day of trail work, maybe in Marin...Can you recommend some great spots for this New Englander? promise i won't tell others here

Looking to ride hard for a couple hours, single track, etc obviously preferable.

also, and advice on possible rental from a shop in Marin or any LBS's do demos or anything?

thanks a ton
    If your working/staying in or around Redwood City, Skeggs might be your best bet. Marin is +1 hour north...Skeggs is not my local ride but, maybe others will chime in?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    thanks rednova...strong rider, been riding for years, the last two years really entered a new level in terms of good endurance.

uncle - yeah, i was thinking i'd leave the hotel in RW city and head to SF/Marin and stay there for the night, hence the riding there. But good to know about Skeggs. I'm in Redwood City every few months for work so i'd really like to know more about that place .

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rednova75 View Post
    For Bike rentals check out Larkspur Bike n Bean, in Larkspur They can also point you in the right direction for trails.

Tamarancho in Fairfax and China Camp in San Rafael are pretty close and offer fun single track. What level of rider are you?
    Is Tom still at Bike n Bean? I know him from his WTB days. Wow, it has been a while...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by starry View Post
    thanks rednova...strong rider, been riding for years, the last two years really entered a new level in terms of good endurance.

uncle - yeah, i was thinking i'd leave the hotel in RW city and head to SF/Marin and stay there for the night, hence the riding there. But good to know about Skeggs. I'm in Redwood City every few months for work so i'd really like to know more about that place .
    I'll put in a huge plug for Skegg's - I ride there a lot and rarely get tired of it - not the most technical riding, but fun factor of close to 10 IMO and beautiful scenery - it is, however, very steep and the climbs are brutal, but worth it - make sure you do a little research on the best routes so you don't "waste" your descents - I recommend you check out Steam Donkey, Manzanita, & Giant Salamander.

As far as rentals, out of RWC your best bet is probably Passion Trail Bikes in Belmont - they have a nice rental fleet and can give you all the info you need about Skeggs

mtbr member
    @Starry. Cool there are some fun rides around here. What date are you coming to marin? I maybe able to show you around if I'm free. PM me. Larkspur BnB has some nice rides in their demo fleet, but not sure of prices. Just give em a call they're super cool guys.

@uncle. Yeah he is still there. It's a great shop!

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    I can show you around Skeggs--there are some fun 20-30+ mile routes. Or if you don't mind driving a little further south (it's on the way to L.A!), we could hit Soquel Demo Forest for one of the best rides around the Bay Area, and you could demo (so to speak) a bike from Trail Head Cyclery in San Jose.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    If you don't come to Marin then you should take dirtvert up on Demo. That place is killer!

jrm
    mtbr member
    If it were me, id find a guide, ride from the city and traverse the headlands/tam ending in fairfax and ferry back to SF. Roaring Mouse in SF has nice demos.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle mama View Post
    If your working/staying in or around Redwood City, Skeggs might be your best bet. Marin is +1 hour north...Skeggs is not my local ride but, maybe others will chime in?
    This. And rent a bike from passion trail bike thats also near by. Marin is great, but u got epics very close by. Why drive an hour

mtbr member
    If you can connect with RedNova and your technical skills are up to the task- you won't be disappointed. I know a lot of the 650ers love skeggs, but it's seriously no comparison to Marin if you know where to ride. You aren't that far from Demo- which is also a huge amount of fun and you wouldn't need a guide.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    man, thanks for awesome replies guys. rednova, dirtvirt i will PM you once i decide which place i go to...that's real nice of you to offer.

I currently ride a Giant Anthem X2 29er. Cool singletrack would be great, definitely doesn't need to be too gnarly/downhill-ish...more into XC these days now..