mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Adventures on BMX: BMX groms, saving a pill zombie's life & PMarshall's doppelgänger

I just don't get this kind of experience on my MTB. Maybe it's because I'm too busy chasing Strava segments. Anyway.

Sunday is my designated BMX day... and that's when I injure myself so much, it's actually relaxing to MTB. Currently I have random bruises, scrapes, and a kinked neck. I tell people this: the reason why I don't crash on my MTB is because I use all my crash tokens riding my BMX. It's true.

Adventures on BMX: BMX groms, saving a pill zombie's life & PMarshall's doppelgänger-18015_10200498530338895_348557624_n.jpg

So, whenever I ride, I always end up passing by BMX groms (little pre-teen kids) and they always check out what I'm riding, and wondering why a guy their Dad's age is scooting around on a 20" bike. I busted some manuals, 360 bunnyhops and a couple hang 5's and that got them clamoring up and asking a million questions. Here are the one's that made me LOL:

1) Do you know Ryan Nyquist? (because I ride a Haro in S. San Jose)
    2) Can you bunnyhop over that? (pointing at a rail that was literally 4ft. high)
    3) Can you barspin?
    4) Can you flat 3?
    5) How do you keep you balance like that?
    6) Did you ride in the Dew Tour?
    7) Do you have a son that rides BMX?
    8) Why is your seat so high? (I have a WHOPPING 5" of seatpost showing)
    9) Why do you have so many pegs? (4)
    10) Why is your bike so quiet? (Freecoaster)
    11) What's a freecoaster?
    12) Why don't you have a better bike? (I love my Haro! LOL.)
    13) Why do you have a front brake?
    14) Can you jump these stairs?
    15) When did you start riding? ("When I was your age")
    16) etc.

The BMX scene down here in Almaden is literally nonexistent. These kids never seen flatland, or even a hop to fastplant. Their minds were filled with barspins and tailwhips. They loved it all. Then I realized, I may be able to inspire these kids to keep riding just by being an old man on a bike showing them how to do a few things.

Then I realized I'd be a fuggin' awesome BMX dad. THEN I realized, this is how BMX has survived over the years. This is why us old guys can't stop. There are generations ahead of us that need to be inspired. Anyway, I taught them how to to footjam tailwhips and got them thinking about wall rides. One kid even learned how to peg manual. My work was done... so I thought.

Then there was this chick:

Adventures on BMX: BMX groms, saving a pill zombie's life & PMarshall's doppelgänger-547640_10200496599170617_374240322_n.jpg

So, I'm riding home (jazzed for a little Game of Thrones action) and I see this female stumbling across the parking lot with bare feet. Then she went up to a Ford Club Wagon and was trying to open it with a Scion key. Then she paused, got all wobbly, then tried some more. So I stopped her, and asked her some questions - then I asked her if I could try and I took her keys from her. She was so high, she didn't even resist. I told her to sit down and asked her if there was anybody she knew or family or friends that could come get her. No cell, no ID... she said her boyfriend jumped out of the car. I stayed with her and she was talking gibberish, talking about how "Jared cheated on her with a girl from Facebook" and "...you can be from Jupiter and align with the spirits. Then I asked if she was drinking and if she took some pills.

"I took some pills last night..."

"What about today?"

Dead stare. Like Walking Dead. PILL ZOMBIE!

So I called 911 and P-Marshall's doppelganger showed up and I took off.

Nobody was going to help this poor girl and God forbid the Club Wagon was actually her's and she went off driving, high on 'scrips.

BMX always provides weird adventures. I highly recommend you get one.
    Last edited by Dion; 04-10-2013 at 07:55 AM.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Name:  sgs.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  48.3 KB
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    I see that Greg Watts rides his Haro with the seat up like you. Keep killin it. All the guys I know who grew up on BMX are insanely good riders, but they've all traded in their BMXs for 26" wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    I see that Greg Watts rides his Haro with the seat up like you. Keep killin it. All the guys I know who grew up on BMX are insanely good riders, but they've all traded in their BMXs for 26" wheels.
    I love BMX. It really makes me happy, big time. Zero commitment and you can get as creative as your mind and skills allows you to. I've been riding BMX on and off (mostly off) since I was 12. I love flatland (ground tricks) riding so much, I can't give up the 20" wheels. Even though I spend most of my riding time on a MTB, BMX is where my heart is and it will always be. Nothing makes me feel younger.

It's hard to describe, and as much fun as I have MTB'ing, it's just not really the same - especially since I ride mostly XC, where it becomes more of a fitness thing and less creative. Even today I was thinking about a set of stairs I gap, and how cool it would be to bust a one-footed look-over off of it.

mtbr member
    Pretty sure this is Dion doing his BMX Daggering! Paste the link below and enjoy!

This guy has some great skills. [VIDEO]
    They never made the "Slowster"

bay area CA
    sweet, im an old BMX guy from the bay area who was killing it back in the 90's and early 2000's, but quit it for many years due to injury. i started riding mountain bikes to keep my bike legs, and now im a full on mtber. i recently thought about getting back into BMX so i made my return to the local park only to find tons of little scrawny kids wearing their sister's jeans with emo-kid haircuts. it had me feeling like the sport had passed me by so i put down the idea of getting back into it, but now im pretty sure im gonna put together a new bmx rig and get back out there.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I love BMX. It really makes me happy, big time. Zero commitment and you can get as creative as your mind and skills allows you to. I've been riding BMX on and off (mostly off) since I was 12. I love flatland (ground tricks) riding so much, I can't give up the 20" wheels. Even though I spend most of my riding time on a MTB, BMX is where my heart is and it will always be. Nothing makes me feel younger.

It's hard to describe, and as much fun as I have MTB'ing, it's just not really the same - especially since I ride mostly XC, where it becomes more of a fitness thing and less creative. Even today I was thinking about a set of stairs I gap, and how cool it would be to bust a one-footed look-over off of it.
    you got the skills to bust air over all the little rock features and so on one sees out on the daily XC ride. Initially typed SC... but yeah, its all good. Ride for fun holmes!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Adventures on BMX: BMX groms, saving a pill zombie's life & PMarshall's doppelgänger

Quote Originally Posted by LONO100 View Post
    sweet, im an old BMX guy from the bay area who was killing it back in the 90's and early 2000's, but quit it for many years due to injury. i started riding mountain bikes to keep my bike legs, and now im a full on mtber. i recently thought about getting back into BMX so i made my return to the local park only to find tons of little scrawny kids wearing their sister's jeans with emo-kid haircuts. it had me feeling like the sport had passed me by so i put down the idea of getting back into it, but now im pretty sure im gonna put together a new bmx rig and get back out there.
    There's a lot of us "OG's" that still ride BMX. We are all taking the trek down to Woodward West this weekend for the Old School BMX Reunion and I couldn't be more stoked!

Sent from CouchPad via Outer Space

bay area CA
    sweet! woodward was the mecca for bmx kids back in the day, good to hear that its still going.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sunday is BMX day for me as well. I take the kids to the Moraga skatepark before the big kids get there. I turned 40 in Feb. There is a large number of older BMXers in the Bay Area I have found. Since moving to Orinda from Denver I have been on rides in Hayward, Livermore, SF, and a 40+ mile ride from Castro V to San Jose. The group has scince done that one again but I couldn't make that one. I have ridden more BMX than MTB. I need to find some locals to show me where the good trails are.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LONO100 View Post
    sweet! woodward was the mecca for bmx kids back in the day, good to hear that its still going.
    I started riding BMX back in 1987, got REALLY good, and quit like an idiot due to having a stupid girlfriend. Got into bikes again in 2007, then MTB'ing in 2009 and back to BMX, as well. Got all my old tricks back and then some, but the injuries were way too much (knees) and I had to stop and focused on MTB and CX.

Well, 45lbs less later, I can safely ride BMX without knee pain. I get all the bumps, bruises, aches and pains that come along with it at 38 yrs. old, but nothing like true joint pain (which sucks). I don't go big like I did as a young man, so I stick to technical street and flatland mostly. I suck at park, but again, it's technical on the small stuff. I can dirt jump but I suck at it. I think I get more air off a curb than I do on dirt jumps!

I ride a lot of different bikes, but there's a sense of freedom that comes with BMX that I can't get with any other bike. I tend to look at the neighborhood with e different set of eyes when I'm strolling around, like, "Hey, that would be cool to hop over" or "...perfect length to nose manual..."

Man, I hope you overcome your injuries. A lot of us are/was in that boat. I overcame mine, but now my style of riding is a toned down, not-so-big style that I really enjoy. I guess what I'm saying is you don't have to do a Sean Burns drop off a two story building to enjoy BMX! MTB'ing really helped subside my knee pain - from the weight loss to just being the physical therapy of spinning.

Quote Originally Posted by heckler44 View Post
    Sunday is BMX day for me as well. I take the kids to the Moraga skatepark before the big kids get there. I turned 40 in Feb. There is a large number of older BMXers in the Bay Area I have found. Since moving to Orinda from Denver I have been on rides in Hayward, Livermore, SF, and a 40+ mile ride from Castro V to San Jose. The group has scince done that one again but I couldn't make that one. I have ridden more BMX than MTB. I need to find some locals to show me where the good trails are.
    Surprised you're not going to the OSBMXR with Trent and the rest of the crew! Did you go on the SF Cruiser ride?

I ride with Trent on occasion (he's the one that puts on a lot of the East Bay stuff) and we're having a BMX ride down in Santa Cruz on May 4th if anybody is interested.

mtbr member
    Nice Dion. Heck ya riding random stuff is fun...charging all over town looking for something to session. It's even better when it's close to home and an adventure is in store.

Just finished up installing the infield to my backyard paradise that would be incredibly fun to ride on that bmx bike of yours. I bet Nyquist could backflip some of the rollers.Adventures on BMX: BMX groms, saving a pill zombie's life & PMarshall's doppelgänger-ptrack1.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I didn't get my package in to get the invite to the OSBMXR this weekend. I met Trent through the BMXMuseum and know he will be there, one of my good friends who was just out here a couple weeks ago from Colorado will be there as well. His name is Kelly and I think he may have his son Jack with him this year. He and I hit the Lake Cunningham skatepark.

I made the December SF ride, I was riding an all chrome S&M DB. I would definitely be down for the SC BMX ride.