Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Axe
    Custom User Title

Adventure bike race in Coe, November 1 to 3.

Just so you guys can pencil it into your calendar.

Get Lost!! Running, Racing

Two day stage race, with a map. 20 hours first stage, 12 hours second. Day and night, with a break in between. Find and visit as many of about 50 control points as you can, in any order you want. Designing your optimal route is part of the competition.

I am still thinking if I should go on foot or on bike (Foot version does venture off trails and requires a teammate.)

All entry fees paid by the bike divisions participants, less park permit costs, will be donated to the Pine Ridge Association.

Short version is also available, for 4 hours on Saturday. I see they have dates of August 3 in Fort Ord, and September 1 in Jackson forest for a similar style shorter duration competition, not sure where that stands as far as actually happening.
    Last edited by Axe; 09-11-2013 at 11:58 PM.

Is now still the time?
    Thumbs up and a nod to El Hombre in the mix!
    SOrCerer

mtbr member
    This will be a very cool event and a whole new and fun way of 'racing' your mountain bike. I'm not sure which form it will take, but you can get an idea (or inspiration) by looking at for instance the PMBAR events in the Pisgah forest in North Carolina, see Pisgah Productions | About the Race
    Basically, at the start you get a map, a bunch of checkpoint locations, and the contenders need to figure out (themselves) a route that gets them to as many checkpoints as fast as possible; there are time bonuses if you climb some stupid steep hill etc. PMBAR is very popular, check eg the Carolina's forum, and Coe park seems like a perfect place to run something like this!
    Last edited by ElHombre; 07-27-2013 at 11:14 AM.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat

Re: Adventure bike race in Coe, November 3.

foot version looks like a lot of fun...

Sent by smoke signal.

Dropshot Champ!
    looks like alot of fun. I scanned a few times and still didn't see a cost. How much does something like this typically go for?

not sure if this would be a good "first" event, but I've been wanting to do one of these for years.

It's about showing up.
    This us yet another awesome event for mtg. I will post it in our BTCEB Newsletter.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    looks like alot of fun. I scanned a few times and still didn't see a cost. How much does something like this typically go for?
    You have to click on the tab that says "Entry and Registration"

From the site:

The fees are:
    4 hour events Individual Team Flex Team Cal-ARA Flex
    Enter and pay on or before Monday 27 May $40.00 $75.00 $67.50
    Enter and pay on or before Tuesday 03 September $59.00 $114.00 $102.60
    Enter and pay on or before Monday 22 October $69.00 $134.00 $120.60
    Enter and pay on or after Tuesday 23 October $84.00 $164.00 $147.60

Trex! Individual Team Flex Team Cal-ARA Flex
    Enter and pay on or before Monday 27 May $139.00 $269.00 $299.00 $269.10
    Enter and pay on or before Tuesday 03 September $159.00 $309.00 $339.00 $305.10
    Enter and pay on or before Monday 22 October $179.00 $349.00 $399.00 $359.10
    Enter and pay on or after Tuesday 23 October $209.00 $409.00 $368.10

I may do the 4-hour race.

Dropshot Champ!
    nice, thank you. Can't believe I missed those tabs haha.

Cheaper than the TS100 too, this looks fun.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    not sure if this would be a good "first" event, but I've been wanting to do one of these for years.
    There was a race in this format last year at Fort Ord. 4 hours. I will try to dig out the map used. Not too many people participated, about ten teams - none of them fast, I even managed second place. (Stupid navigation error.. )

I think they plan on another one in Fort Ord in August. And I think in Jackson forest as well.

There is some footage from last year Fort Ord event (This American Land from PBS were making an episode)

This American Land: Episode 202 - YouTube

Much, much more fun than just racing in circles. A lot of strategy involved, and you get to visit everything.
    Last edited by Axe; 04-12-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHombre View Post
    there are time bonuses if you climb some stupid steep hill etc.
    Probably the "bonus" part should be covered by different points value for different control points - from 10 to 100 points. 100 pointer takes appropriate amount of effort. Not sure some more complicated ways to adjust score are really needed.
    Last edited by Axe; 04-12-2013 at 10:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks guys! One note: Henry Coe Adventure Trex is not a race. It is a voyage of discovery, with a campout in the middle. Certainly nobody who saw our 2011 event would have confused it with a (foot/trail) race... more like a survival slog through steep, wet hills, through the clouds and the rain! We do tabulate scores, but there is certainly no head-to-head racing, on foot or on bike, after the first checkpoint or so; there will be at least a half-dozen ways to go out of the start, and another half-dozen after the first CP, and so on... so, very soon there will be no packs, and you'll find yourself fortunate to encounter other people. That is, until you get to the camp!

There will indeed be varying scores for checkpoints, less for the close/easy ones, more for the ones that are farther out of the way and/or require gnarly climbs. The minimum required is to get from A to B to C. A team can wait until daylight on Saturday, hike/ride leisurely to the camp, eat their hearts out, then do the same next day for the B to C trek, and still be qualified... just not with many points. But, for those with healthy appetites, ElHombre has planned a course that covers pretty much all trails in the southern portion of the park (south of about the parallel that goes through the Coyote Creek entrance, plus a bit more to the north).

And a final note: The event is still in the permitting process, and changes are possible to all of the published information. We will let everyone know when the details are firm.

Vladimir/Get Lost!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    When will the permitting process be completed? (or at least estimated ETA).

Very likely will be signing up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    We've held two (foot-only) events at Coe, and had the permit in hand in June or July for the November event (I don't sadly have the date). We will update the permit status promptly, and extend the earliest registration fee cutoff to at least two weeks past the permit-in-hand announcement.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    What about the Fort Ord event? It was great last time - I bet many folks here will enjoy getting acquainted with the format if they plan participating in advance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Fort Ord event on 03 August is on... information will be coming before the end of April.

mtbr member
    Awesome!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Any updates on permits?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yes! finally. We don't have them in hand yet, but the word is that just about everything is likely to be approved as applied. Please bear with us for just another couple of weeks!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Name:  Good_News_Everyone.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  51.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir
    The inaugural Euro-style mountain marathon is all set to start in the late hours of Friday 01 November from the Dowdy Ranch entrance of Henry Coe State Park. Experience the second-largest California State Park for up to 40 hours! No off-trail or darkness navigation is required, although both are offered, in spades. Make your adventure as gnarly as you want, or enjoy a leisurely 3-hour hike (perhaps with family), eat your heart out, and hike for another 2 to 3 hours to complete the Trex. Or anything in-between! And for those of you who love to cycle, experience up to all of the trails of the southern part of the park on a fantastic bike course planned by a local Mtb legend, Dirk de Bruyker.

For those of you with smallest appetites, there will be a 4-hour rogaine on Saturday that starts and finishes at Dowdy Ranch. All info is at

Get Lost!! Running, Racing

and the earliest registration, at our 2011 rates, is open for another 2.5 weeks, through 12 August. See you at Henry Coe!

Vladimir
    Do not forget to practice in a couple weeks @ Fort Ord rogaine II: Bikes always welcome!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yes indeed! We will have to curb our enthusiasm quite a bit if it will have rained just before the event. Otherwise everything has been permitted.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Signed up for bike 20+12.

Medium?
    "All entry fee funds collected from bike division participants, less the cost of the event permit, will be donated to the Pine Ridge Association so that the park can stay open and operating for the enjoyment of rogainers, hikers, runners, cyclists, birdwatchers, nature lovers, and all park visitors."

The optimum distance to get all checkpoints and to stop at all water stations will be as follows:

Stage One, on bike: 110 to 120 km trail distance;
    Stage Two, on bike: 90 to 100 km trail distance.
    Climb ... on the bike route, between 5% and 6% of the trail distance.

So 200 miles and 50000 footies in 38 hours? Sean Allen need not apply. Maybe they meant 200 miles and 25k'?

Axe
    Custom User Title

Adventure bike race in Coe, November 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy View Post
    So 200 miles and 50000 footies in 38 hours? Sean Allen need not apply. Maybe they meant 200 miles and 25k'?
    That's KM, not miles. So about 125 miles for everything, and by design it should be next to impossible to collect all controls for the strongest teams - prioritizing would be important. Beauty of this race format. No riding in circles, but everybody can finish as much as they can.

Axe
    Custom User Title

Adventure bike race in Coe, November 3.

..looks like so far people only signing up for on foot version. I guess riding public is afraid of Coe.
    Last edited by Axe; 09-28-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    ..looks like so far people only signing up for on foot version. I guess riding public is afraid of Coe.
    Is it indeed so?

And for some reason I can not edit the title of the thread. Should be "1 to 3 November"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast