Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Hi everyone!!! I haven't been on here since my old laptop went dead for the last time. Ok so this is my first time back on MTBR in a long time. So I took my new rig out yesterday for the first official spin. It is a 2016 camber 29er. First 29er, second FS bike and first dropper post ever. My first test ride I broke a spoke and it was over. So yesterday I decided to go to St Joes again. Felt great and had time so I went up Overgrown. Decided a bit before to try Dogmeat. I didn't know the challenge was actually going on. The new rig has the 1X12. It made it easy! Never even came close to a fail. Traction was good with recent rain, still tricky in some spots. Please add me to the list. I will be going again soon to give it another try.
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    Hi everyone!!! I haven't been on here since my old laptop went dead for the last time. Ok so this is my first time back on MTBR in a long time. So I took my new rig out yesterday for the first official spin. It is a 2016 camber 29er. First 29er, second FS bike and first dropper post ever. My first test ride I broke a spoke and it was over. So yesterday I decided to go to St Joes again. Felt great and had time so I went up Overgrown. Decided a bit before to try Dogmeat. I didn't know the challenge was actually going on. The new rig has the 1X12. It made it easy! Never even came close to a fail. Traction was good with recent rain, still tricky in some spots. Please add me to the list. I will be going again soon to give it another try.
    I think I speak for everyone when I say 'Hi' back. Good to see you back in action on both MTBR and a mountain bike for that matter! Congrats on slaying this beast yet again! I present, the wall:

Dogmeat 2016/17 Wall of Fame:
    1) Squashyo
    2) BRoyston
    3) Menso
    4) pmarshall
    I'm not sure how this works.

mtbr member

Well ... I'm at Peet's again

Good to see the frog whisperer back in action ... Congrats Paul! Dogmeat is getting dry already but just the sections included in the pic. 7th Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge (Los Gatos, CA) BEGINS!-fullsizer-22-.jpg Hahahahahaha ... Wednesday and Thursday were the best trail condition days this week but I did make it today! Go get it this weekend! 7th Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge (Los Gatos, CA) BEGINS!-img_1802.jpg Vic pic ...Taken by a retired mtb racer from CO. who was hiking with his woman. He has 30 ish first place wins when they used to give a token medallion thingy for 1st place. He said we will start seeing him more now out in Sierra Azul. He was not bragging ... I was prying the info out of him.
    Last edited by ancient rascal; 12-08-2016 at 09:13 AM.
    Still searching for my red headed hairdresser Tiffany. "Economic Mother Nature" ... Knocks at door! -AR

mtbr member
    Ancient Rascal killing it on Dogmeat! Aren't you like 60?? Nice job dude! Welcome to the wall and the uninterupted show goes on.

1) Squashyo
    2) BRoyston
    3) Menso
    4) pmarshall
    5) ancient rascal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Ancient Rascal killing it on Dogmeat! Aren't you like 60?? Nice job dude! Welcome to the wall and the uninterupted show goes on.

1) Squashyo
    2) BRoyston
    3) Menso
    4) pmarshall
    5) ancient rascal
    Thanks man! Ha ha ... let's just say I'm 50 + as that's what it takes to get into the Santa Clara senior center. Congrats as you are one of the remaining 3 left ... Uninterrupted series 2011-2017. Just waiting for the 3rd musketeer ... Ask.7th Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge (Los Gatos, CA) BEGINS!-img_1818.jpg I think we had 9 guys for the first 3 years then due to injuries, etc. the list grew smaller.
    Last edited by ancient rascal; 12-05-2016 at 09:18 PM.
    Still searching for my red headed hairdresser Tiffany. "Economic Mother Nature" ... Knocks at door! -AR

mtbr member
    Thinking of trying this tomorrow if anyone is interested.

mtbr member
    Put me down for 2 please! The trail was much drier than my last go and I had 2 close calls. I just spin slowly up and kept in the seat. Was accosted by 2 perverts at the Kennedy trail head but I kind of liked it. Squashyo and Ancient Rascal had their own rides going on but nice to chat for a bit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Got it in just before the rain. I know of three of us who did it today!

https://www.strava.com/activities/796515843
    Last edited by yz343; 12-07-2016 at 08:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yz343 View Post
    Wait what? Are you saying you no-dabbed Dogmeat today?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Wait what? Are you saying you no-dabbed Dogmeat today?
    yes. I added strava file above

mtbr member
    It appears that next week on Thursday or Friday, a no-dab group ride is in the making. If you find yourself wanting to punish yourself and cleanse yourself of sin, come and join. If you have never done it or from out of the area and want cheerleaders, come on out.

mtbr member
    yes. I added strava file above
    Well hot dang! Nice work!! Would love some color on the adventure but no sweat if you are simply a man of action! Welcome to the wall and huge ride there!

1) Squashyo
    2) BRoyston
    3) Menso
    4) pmarshall
    5) ancient rascal
    6) yz343

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    It appears that next week on Thursday or Friday, a no-dab group ride is in the making. If you find yourself wanting to punish yourself and cleanse yourself of sin, come and join. If you have never done it or from out of the area and want cheerleaders, come on out.
    I could be down but keep in mind that cone section gets sloppy and tough when wet. We'll see...

mtbr member

Cone hill on Dogmeat

I could be down but keep in mind that cone section gets sloppy and tough when wet. We'll see...
    It does get sloppy. 7th Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge (Los Gatos, CA) BEGINS!-fullsizer-19-.jpg Cone head hill. Pic from a few weeks ago.

mtbr member

https://www.strava.com/activities/796515843
    By the way...tell your third to post up so he can make the wall.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Cone section was the hardest part for me.

Squashyo. the third was Phil Tercero. He rides the pro class at CCCX.

mtbr member

Maybe Sunday ?

Holy cow ... there is gonna be a wide open window of opportunity on this set of gentle rolling inclines! ... 7. Phil thinks so too!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    Holy cow ... there is gonna be a wide open window of opportunity on this set of gentle rolling inclines! ... 7. Phil thinks so too!
    I praise Phil for the effort but the dude needs to post a report on this thread (or my Facebook) to get on the board. Rules are rules.

mtbr member
    Friendly bump. Very, very doable right now.

mtbr member
    That's what she said.

mtbr member

Bumping this ugly dog style!

We try this in 45 minutes!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Refuse to Lose

Finally made it up Dogmeat with no dab this season. Perfect conditions yesterday certainly helped. Sure beat last week's wet, windy, cold and slippery...

This was the longest it ever took me to make it. I have had pains, hospital visits, sickness, work issues, etc. a couple of weeks ago Ben, ANcient Rascal, reminded me that the deadline is looming. So, I vowed to ride dogmeat every weekend until I made it, or didn't.

This trip up was smooth, the trail had dried out and I made it past the first hill with heavy breathing. I settled out until the next set of real climbs, no surprises. The next long hill was manageable and acted to believe I could make it. Once I got over the deal breaker I decided to try like hell. My heart rate settled down until the last rocky hill. I went halfway up that steady, then I sprinted to the top to keep my momentum up over the rocks. At the top were some people from Sweden who asked - is that hill steep? :-0

Overall, a lucky day and I am happy to have the health to make it. Cheers and congrats to all you who did it before me. Nice job!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Refuse to Lose

Finally made it up Dogmeat with no dab this season. Perfect conditions yesterday certainly helped. Sure beat last week's wet, windy, cold and slippery...

This was the longest it ever took me to make it. I have had pains, hospital visits, sickness, work issues, etc. A couple of weeks ago Ben, ANcient Rascal, reminded me that the deadline is looming. So, I vowed to ride dogmeat every weekend until I made it, or didn't.

This trip up was smooth, the trail had dried out and I made it past the first hill with heavy breathing. I settled out until the next set of real climbs, no surprises. The next long hill was manageable and I started to believe I could make it. Once I got over the deal breaker I decided to try like hell. My heart rate settled down until the last rocky hill. I went halfway up that steady, then I sprinted to the top to keep my momentum up over the rocks. At the top were some people from Sweden who asked - is that hill steep? :-0

Overall, a lucky day and I am happy to have the health to make it. Cheers and congrats to all you who did it before me. Nice job!

mtbr member
    Way to go LG Man!!!! I knew you had it in you and you did pick a stellar day! Welcome back to the board my friend:

1) Squashyo
    2) BRoyston
    3) Menso
    4) pmarshall
    5) ancient rascal
    6) yz343
    7) LG Man

mtbr member

Nicely done LG man

Vic pic ... King of the mountain yessirday! 7th Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge (Los Gatos, CA) BEGINS!-fullsizer-65-.jpg We forgot to mention that some guys were setting up a motion camera on Priest just down from the intersection and had a jammed part. LG man lent them a chain tool to get it squared away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Good job! Thanks

Thanks to Squashyo for the congrats and AR for the pic. It was cool helping the Mountain Lion preservationists - a great cause and I found $20 I did not remember I put in my bike stuff

bad reputation
    I'm thinking about trying this today. I'm in between bike builds right now and the only complete bike I have is a hard tail dirt jumper... is a Kenda Small Block 8 gonna be enough traction on the rear?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turfnsurf View Post
    I'm thinking about trying this today. I'm in between bike builds right now and the only complete bike I have is a hard tail dirt jumper... is a Kenda Small Block 8 gonna be enough traction on the rear?
    It should work if it's fairly new and you run it with low air. Good luck and keep trying if you don't get it today!

mtbr member
    A dirt jumper? I think you are going to suffer...even just getting to the start of the challenge...please keep us posted!

mtbr member
    A dirt jumper? I think you are going to suffer...even just getting to the start of the challenge...please keep us posted!
    I'm guessing I need to get out more ... Dirt jumper is heavy ? It's dry out there too!

bad reputation
    It's not just any old dirt jumper, it does have gears and a dropper post! Oh, I threw a Maxxis Highroller on it, didn't have much to choose from in the 26 inch tire category.

mtbr member
    I always thought DJs were slacked out and not designed for climbing much let alone steep pitches. I really don't know much about DJs though. Go gettem!

mtbr member
    I always thought DJs were slacked out and not designed for climbing much let alone steep pitches. I really don't know much about DJs though. Go gettem!
    He is really not going to enjoy dogmeat no matter what he takes out there me thinks!

mtbr member
    It's not just any old dirt jumper, it does have gears and a dropper post! Oh, I threw a Maxxis Highroller on it, didn't have much to choose from in the 26 inch tire category.
    Interesting.... pic?
    I think having gears disqualifies it from being a dirt jumper.

bad reputation

Dogmeat Dabbing

First trail ride on the Jackal yesterday and first time riding Kennedy (or anywhere in LG for that matter.) Well I do enjoy a bit of adventure and a challenge as well, so I figured I'd give it a go... who the hell builds shite that steep? We don't have pitches like that where I'm from!

7th Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge (Los Gatos, CA) BEGINS!-img_4183.jpg

I kept stopping to raise my seatpost on the way up Limekiln. Eventually extended to the minimum insertion line but still could have used more seatpost length even with the 150mm dropper fully extended.

7th Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge (Los Gatos, CA) BEGINS!-img_4196.jpg

Having never ridden Kennedy it was difficult to know when the abuse would end, with one false peak after another! At one point I reached a water drain that was fairly flat so I spun a few no-dab donuts to catch my breath (is that cheating?)

7th Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge (Los Gatos, CA) BEGINS!-img_4194.jpg

Traction was good, bike was okay, lungs were mediocre but my legs became dogmeat. The bike sits where I surrendered, I could have pushed a little further but I knew it was futile.

7th Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge (Los Gatos, CA) BEGINS!-img_4206.jpg

I probably won't attempt it again on the DJ but I may give it another attempt once my crankset shows up for another bike (might need a smaller chainring too!)

7th Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge (Los Gatos, CA) BEGINS!-img_4197.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Interesting.... pic?
    I think having gears disqualifies it from being a dirt jumper.
    7th Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge (Los Gatos, CA) BEGINS!-img_4185.jpg

Beautiful views from up here.

7th Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge (Los Gatos, CA) BEGINS!-img_4213.jpg

Barely made it back to the truck before darkness set in ;~)

7th Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge (Los Gatos, CA) BEGINS!-img_4219.jpg

mtbr member

Nice try turfnsurf!

Dogmeat is pretty tough indeed. Here's what you do. Take your time getting to the Intersection of Priest and Limekiln ... official start point where you posted sign pics. I save energy by walking parts of the trail to get to the start. I've made it on 4 different bikes over many years of trying. Bring you best climbing bike and keep trying. This year's season is over 3/31/17. My favorite/easiest bike for it was a Santa Cruz Heckler. Hardest bike is my Lynskey and I may not be able to make that happen anymore. Also ... don't let the other side of Kennedy get jealous ... 6th Annual 20/40 under from Kennedy Trailhead Not as steep as Priest ... but equally enjoyable!

mtbr member
    Sweet bike, but I wouldn't really classify it as a dirt jumper anymore. Maybe an 26" AM Hardtail is more accurate?

mtbr member
    First trail ride on the Jackal yesterday and first time riding Kennedy (or anywhere in LG for that matter.) Well I do enjoy a bit of adventure and a challenge as well, so I figured I'd give it a go... who the hell builds shite that steep? We don't have pitches like that where I'm from!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4183.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	1124354

I kept stopping to raise my seatpost on the way up Limekiln. Eventually extended to the minimum insertion line but still could have used more seatpost length even with the 150mm dropper fully extended.

Name:	IMG_4196.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	1124352

Having never ridden Kennedy it was difficult to know when the abuse would end, with one false peak after another! At one point I reached a water drain that was fairly flat so I spun a few no-dab donuts to catch my breath (is that cheating?)

Name:	IMG_4194.jpg 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	1124353

Traction was good, bike was okay, lungs were mediocre but my legs became dogmeat. The bike sits where I surrendered, I could have pushed a little further but I knew it was futile.

Name:	IMG_4206.jpg 
Size:	183.0 KB 
ID:	1124350

I probably won't attempt it again on the DJ but I may give it another attempt once my crankset shows up for another bike (might need a smaller chainring too!)

Name:	IMG_4197.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	1124351

Name:	IMG_4185.jpg 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	1124347

Beautiful views from up here.

Name:	IMG_4213.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	1124349

Barely made it back to the truck before darkness set in ;~)

Name:	IMG_4219.jpg 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	1124348
    Hey, I know you! Stoked to see you try this sufferfest. Bike choice is pretty key for this hill. Good luck man!

bad reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Sweet bike, but I wouldn't really classify it as a dirt jumper anymore. Maybe an 26" AM Hardtail is more accurate?
    Yeah, it's a kind of light-duty dirt jumper/pump track/hardtail trail bike kind of thing. I built it mostly for riding pump tracks and as a hardtail to ride trails to get to pump tracks and bike parks without taking a car. I'm looking forward to trying it on the Flow trail - if it ever opens up again!

Hey, I know you! Stoked to see you try this sufferfest. Bike choice is pretty key for this hill. Good luck man!
    Hey I know you too, what's up Squashyo? Funny about forums and names. You ain't kidding about bike selection, my top tube and stem were way too short for such a serious climb - but I'm in a bike Transition phase (pun intended!) I don't really foresee myself getting the perfect bike for that climb so I'll just ride what I have at the moment.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's a kind of light-duty dirt jumper/pump track/hardtail trail bike kind of thing. I built it mostly for riding pump tracks and as a hardtail to ride trails to get to pump tracks and bike parks without taking a car. I'm looking forward to trying it on the Flow trail - if it ever opens up again!
    Yes, that bike will be PERFECT for the demo flow trail, or for any flow/jump trail really.

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    James, James, James.

Conditions finally improve in the Magic Kingdom and you drive over the hill and ride THAT?!

Dude.

(nice pics though)
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

Nature is not a sidewalk.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    James, James, James.

Conditions finally improve in the Magic Kingdom and you drive over the hill and ride THAT?!

Dude.
    Get out of here hater.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    Sometimes when you drink the Kool-Aid, the Kool-Aid drinks you.

(that sounded better in my head)

bad reputation
    Shit, busted by the forum po-po! I guess I'm just a sucker for a challenge! But I do have plans for a some more "exhilarating" rides starting tomorrow, the trail bike is ready to go.

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    ^^ We're gonna release you on your own recognizance this time. But we're watchin' you, boy.

mtbr member
    Just a little over two weeks left if this was somehow on your bucket list. Feeling good that I won't have to buy beer this time but who knows what might happen, eh?

I'm off to go ride it just because I feel like suffering.

mtbr member
    I was well on my way to my 3rd consecutive victory atop this massive hill. literally 10 feet from the top of the last hard part, I failed. Front tire hit a big rock and I started to go sideways. If you were on the landing pad at the top you would have heard me yell in disgust. Truth is that I was pretty smoked by the time I go to that point and started to not pedal very hard and lose concentration. I made the steep part, the left turn and was literally home free until I screwed the pooch. The top part after the turn in very lose and there are no established lines. I bid you all god luck.

mtbr member
    Finally got my XC rig back in action today so figured I'd take a stab at dog meat. Success! But not easy. Since I had been riding the heavy bike over the last couple months, I had some get up and go on the lighter bike when things got tough and that was my saving grace. The last big steep near the top is crazy hard with lots of landmines everywhere...I opted to just pin it through this and that hurt. Any how good luck if you try... Very doable if you have the moxie.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Hats off to the repeat offenders

^^^ Good for you pmarshall and squashyo! I can almost never put myself through it twice in one season once I make it. I too have screamed in agony ... PG rated of course in the same rocky top spot some call Gollum's ladder. I once shifted to middle sprocket to mash that section only to drop the chain shifting back down to the small chainring for that last small hill at the top. Other side of mountain for me today.

fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Nice job everyone.

The ground is drying... fast!

fc
    IPA will save America

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast