Thread: 650b wheelset

mtbr member
    May 2005

650b wheelset

I recently demo'd a 29er and really liked the way it rode but I did miss the extra travel my bike has. So that got me thinking and it turns out that 650b wheels will fit on my Blur LTc.

Before I take the plunge and invest in a new 650b wheelset I'd like to try out a set first to see how I like it.

So, does anyone here have a set of 650b wheels just sitting around in their garage they wouldn't mind loaning out? I'm willing to compensate you (cash or alcoholic beverage) in exchange from letting me use them for a week or so. I live on the peninsula and ride Waterdog and Skeggs most often.

Gracias!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I think someone tried to do that with a nomad and 650 wont fit in the rear. Ended up being a 650/26er.

Check the Santa Cruz forum.

Nmad and BLTC shares similar geo.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'll look into it.

There's a thread in the 650b section dedicated to the Blur LT and other than some tire clearance issues when using large volume rear tire (+2.35) there weren't any real issues.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Interesting. Let me know how it goes. I love to upgrade the nomad with bigger hoops

mtbr member
    The TRc apparently is a great 650b ride. I looked into it, but the severely limited tire selection held me back.

NedwannaB
    Geesch, here we go again on "limited tires".....
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

swag ho Administrator
    What front axle are you using?

francis

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Fox 15mm qr axle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Geesch, here we go again on "limited tires".....
    How is this not true?
    When I was looking into it I found 6-10 650b mountain bike tires.
    Pacenti has a few, you can still find some 650b Wolverines, Schwalbe has one or two.
    Only one, the Racing Ralph, was tubeless ready.
    Since that is what I prefer to ride (tubeless ready tires), I'd say its pretty "limited".

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TeddyBallGame View Post
    Fox 15mm qr axle
    I have a new wheelset here at the office that you can use for a week. Only problem is the front tire is massive and there's no way it will fit in your fork. The frikken thing is 28 inches around. I have an extra tire that will fit but it's at home and I'm not in the office tomorrow.

fc

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    I have a new wheelset here at the office that you can use for a week. Only problem is the front tire is massive and there's no way it will fit in your fork. The frikken thing is 28 inches around. I have an extra tire that will fit but it's at home and I'm not in the office tomorrow.

fc
    PM sent

NedwannaB
    Putting it that way, yes. Interesting how enabling things can seem when it's a want not a need. Considering how there's usually only a few types of tires we like to use anyway, whatever wheel size. Take a survey with your fellow ride partners sometime.

And there's been enough use of the tires you mentioned running tubeless without issues. Just say'n.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Yeah, if WTB made some 650b TCS tires (Bronson's or Moto's would be awesome) I'd probably
    be saving up for a second set of wheels right now.

mtbr member
    Im the same... Cdale prophet with a fox talas in the folsom area... would love to see how they fit.

heck this could be a buiness for somebody.... rent for the day 650 rims!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    Yeah, if WTB made some 650b TCS tires (Bronson's or Moto's would be awesome) I'd probably
    be saving up for a second set of wheels right now.
    I agree, even a Weirwolf would be awesome.
    I did see the Nevegals are available in 650b.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I decided to try 650b wheels on my Blur LTc after demoing a Tallboy and not being satisfied with the amount of travel. I liked how the 29er rolled over everything and want to get something similar on my bike. A BIG thanks to, Francis, for lending me a set of Pacenti wheels and tires to try out. Surprisingly I didn't have any of the clearance issues others were having where spacers were needed in the shock. The clearance in the rear was a little tight, about 3mm between the tire and seat tube when the shock is fully compressed. I donít think that will be an issue unless Iím riding in pure slop I also took a bunch of pictures so you guys can see the conversion. I was running a big 2.4 Mega-Motto up front and a 2.3 Neo-Moto in the back.

I only got 3 rides in before I broke my right thumb so here's a quick review. Initially pedaling around I didn't notice a big difference. It wasn't until I started climbing up a series of 10-12 switchbacks that I started seeing some differences. Like a 29er, I found that I needed a little more oomph to keep the wheels going so the bike wouldn't stall on steep climbs. But as long as I kept my legs moving it got up the hill as quick or even quicker than on 26" wheels. I did notice that I had to put a little more weight on the front end to keep the wheel down, possibly because of the slight head angle change with the bigger wheels. On the downhills the bigger wheels and/or change in head angle made for a positive difference. I didn't have to lean as far back and was able to keep more of my weight in the center of the bike which helped the front end track better. The bike also seemed to roll over larger rocks and roots easier allowing me to keep more speed in certain sections. In tight, twisty sections the biggest difference was that I didn't have to turn the bars as far to get it into turns. It took a little while to get used to it as I was over steering quite a bit at first. I'm assuming because of the larger contact patch of the tire it grips into the dirt sooner.

Overall I was very pleased with the few rides I got in. I'm still not sure if it really was the greatness of 650b or because I wanted 650b to be great. But I have a feeling that I'm going to be getting a new wheel set soon!!

The beast!

Quick side by side comparison

26" front tire clearance, WTB 2.3 Bronson

650b front tire clearance, Pacenti 2.4 Mega-Moto

650b rear tire clearance, Pacenti 2.3 Neo-Moto

At full shock compression there is about 3mm of clearance

Shock under no load

Shock under full compression

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the pics. I was at the same crossroads recently and choose to stay with 26" tires. A LBS let me try a set of 650B wheels on and I personally thought the clearances were too tight. I opted to go with a Stans Arch EX with Schwalbe Nic up front, and Racing Ralphs in the rear. I'm very happy with my decision.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    exactly, 650 for a day is a great idea

swag ho Administrator
    I've been riding the TRc with 650b wheels. The front tire is a prototype Pacenti Mega Moto and it is huge!! Almost 28 inch outside diameter.

I've had two spectacular rides on this bike and I'm taking it today to Waterdog or Skeggs.

The stock TRc was good. The Tallboy LTc was even better. This may top both for my 5'8" height.

fc

photos:
    1) stock Blur TRc
    2) Tallboy LTc
    3) Blur TRc with 650 wheels
    4) Comparison with a Look 26er
    5) Outside diameter of MegaMoto 650b tire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 650b wheelset-dsc_0094.jpg  

650b wheelset-dsc_0163.jpg  

650b wheelset-dsc_0002.jpg  

650b wheelset-dsc_0023.jpg  

650b wheelset-dsc_0048.jpg  

swag ho Administrator
    I would like to present to you the Blur TRb

Unlocking 650b with the Santa Cruz Blur TRc | Mountain Bike Review

ask
    user
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    I would like to present to you the Blur TRb

Unlocking 650b with the Santa Cruz Blur TRc | Mountain Bike Review
    Nice article... I've been toying with the idea on converting my Blur XCc to 650b. Maybe it is time to buy some parts and make the switch.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
    Im the same... Cdale prophet with a fox talas in the folsom area... would love to see how they fit.

heck this could be a buiness for somebody.... rent for the day 650 rims!
    Prophet fits 650B F/B with no clearance issues at all (at least in XC setting which I use) and I've been running mine this way for a year now. I also have the Talas fork. BB get pushed to 14.25" though which for me is fine living in New England rocks.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Anybody know of a LBS (live in San Jose) that has a set of 650b wheels that one could demo? Would love to retro a Blur TRc demo bike to compare it to the TB LTc. Thanks for your help

-Shane