Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ride Responsibly

5th Annual 24/8 Hours of Gold

Wow,
    Here we are five years later and feeling pretty good about our little event.
    No real money yet but never expected to do more than come out even for the first five years.
    What we have done is gain some recognition and attracted new members to the club, LOBO, which has always been the main goal.
    79 riders last year, should break 100 this time around.
    Not bad for a homegrown event that has zero budget for advertising and no big name sponsors, YET!
    Well, you know the routine, sign up, spread the word, help us help you, WWTJD?

Oh yeah, on our website the current 24 Hours of Gold is the top menu button, not listed as 2012 so it might be a little confusing, or not.
    Oh yeah, oh yeah, 8 Hour option included!

24-Hours of Gold
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5th Annual 24 Hours of Gold-316763_294944453864239_1520965627_n.jpg  

Last edited by LWright; 10-10-2012 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Add 8 hour option

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Looking forward to giving this one a "go" this year for the first time. Solo 24 baby!.....bring it on

Ride Responsibly

Link below is the draft EIR for simplifying trail use changes in California State Parks. It is long but worth a read to send in comments of support.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/980/fi...IR_10.5.12.pdf
    Last edited by LWright; 10-09-2012 at 11:40 PM.

xls
    Eduardo Naranja
    Need a team? Clicky here!

mtbr member
    Great event. I was there for #1 and #2 and can't believe that was that long ago. I don't think I'll be able to make this year but I will miss that sunrise lap for sure. I have an incredible mental image of the golden light bouncing off the dam right after sunrise, on one of the last laps of the day, that will be seared into my brain forever.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

Feral Roadie
    You should make more of an effort to advertise that you also have an 8hr race as part of the 24hr race. It wasn't until somebody else pointed that out to me that I signed up. See you in a couple weeks...

Ride Responsibly
    "Dusty Nipples" Thanks for the mental image!
    Last edited by LWright; 10-29-2012 at 01:42 AM.

Ride Responsibly
    We ordered up a little rain for Wednesday to settle the dust. Not that our weather forecast are all that accurate.

Ride Responsibly
    Last bump.
    We had some rain which will help with the dust.
    We still have room for 24 hour teams and solos. If we get enough 24 registered we will treat the 8 hour riders like the red-headed step-children and throw them out of the group campsites!! (I have dreams of running the 8 hour from the Day Use Area and adding a ramp jump into the lake.)
    I was reading the "Why Don't you do 24 hour events" thread and realized we offer most of what those posters were looking for!
    If your kid has a bike bring it, we are doing a 2 to 4 Hours of Gold race for the tykes! 2 to 4 pm Saturday we will be running the kids around the campgrounds!
    Last edited by LWright; 10-24-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Add more chit

mtbr member
    Why the hard on for 8 hour people ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE157 View Post
    Why the hard on for 8 hour people ?
    Seriously...though I suspect it was in jest....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWright View Post
    Last bump.
    We had some rain which will help with the dust.
    We still have room for 24 hour teams and solos. If we get enough 24 registered we will treat the 8 hour riders like the red-headed step-children and throw them out of the group campsites!! (I have dreams of running the 8 hour from the Day Use Area and adding a ramp jump into the lake.)
    I was reading the "Why Don't you do 24 hour events" thread and realized we offer most of what those posters were looking for!
    If your kid has a bike bring it, we are doing a 2 to 4 Hours of Gold race for the tykes! 2 to 4 pm Saturday we will be running the kids around the campgrounds!
    Is there room in the day use area to bring a trailer for my riders and myself? No campsites are left in loafer.

Ride Responsibly
    The 8 hour has been run as an afterthought and we really need to devote more effort to it. It deserves to be its own venue. My focus has always been on the 24 and as it becomes more popular and the group sites fill up, we will have no choice but to move the 8 hour to the day use area. The group sites have a maximum occupation of 150 and the parking needs to be reserved for the 24s. This year may be the tipping point. The day use area is a great place to run the 8 if we had enough volunteers to make it happen. Long story short, you guys are all good and we want you to have fun.
    The day use area does have room for trailers, but as the name implies, it is day use only. There should be plenty of space available at Coyote Campground, also at Loafer Creek, if you are wanting to spend the night. It may not be shown on the reservation sites but still be open for camping!

mtbr member
    The 8 hour has been run as an afterthought and we really need to devote more effort to it. It deserves to be its own venue. My focus has always been on the 24 and as it becomes more popular and the group sites fill up, we will have no choice but to move the 8 hour to the day use area. The group sites have a maximum occupation of 150 and the parking needs to be reserved for the 24s. This year may be the tipping point. The day use area is a great place to run the 8 if we had enough volunteers to make it happen. Long story short, you guys are all good and we want you to have fun.
    The day use area does have room for trailers, but as the name implies, it is day use only. There should be plenty of space available at Coyote Campground, also at Loafer Creek, if you are wanting to spend the night. It may not be shown on the reservation sites but still be open for camping!
    So are there campsites still available in Loafer just they aren't reservable via reservareamerica? I've done the 24 hours of adrenalin these races are loads of fun...just now I've got ankle biters that we need to coral hence the trailer.

mtbr member
    Also when does the 8hr race start...didn't see it on the webpage.

Ride Responsibly
    8 hour starts at 10am along with the 24.
    Coyote Campground will be open.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Awesome race!!!! Thank you to all the great volunteers!!!! Rain made it prefect conditions. Always a very fun course! Again big thanks to LOBO for hosting this race!!

Feral Roadie
    The 8 hour has been run as an afterthought and we really need to devote more effort to it. It deserves to be its own venue.
    FWIW, I really enjoyed the race and the course. I think the 8hr version has a lot of potential as a "first race" for people interested in the sport. The course really lends itself to testing the waters and unlike some of the other easier 8hr races has a very high ratio of fun single track to fire road.

Even after I had gone well past my limits, there were still parts of the course I was looking forward to just for the fun of riding the section.

Ride Responsibly
    Glad you enjoyed the event. LOBO gets a bit more recognition, a few more members, and next year we do a little better. Win-win!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Lyle:

Thanks to you and everyone else involved in making the 24hrs of Gold one of the best 24's I've done. The race had a good vibe and was well organized. Loved the course and the section in the back after the last G-out was swoopy fun for a few miles. I'll certainly be back

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Any idea when the results will be posted??

Ride Responsibly
    Quote Originally Posted by 12to29 View Post
    Any idea when the results will be posted??
    Our President told me he is going to work on that tonight with our Webmaster, so should be soon.

Feral Roadie
    Pictures?

Ride Responsibly
    I will try to light a fire under the photographers arse.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hey Lyle,

Any word on the photos?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast