Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I like mtn biking, too

4th Annual Santa Cruz Mountain Bike Festival in Aptos - Apri 13-14!

There is now just one week left until the 4th Annual Santa Cruz Mountain Bike Festival! Fox is returning as the title sponsor of of the festival, and the list of all the other sponsors is humongous... We are very fortunate to have such a large chunk of the mountain biking world represented both in and near Santa Cruz county. The Festival is FREE to attend. There is food and beverage for purchase, and there are still some spaces left for races and clinics. Who is going?

10 Reasons to Be There:

1. To Demo Bikes! There will be 14 bike demo vendors and 37 other vendor booths including SRAM, Shimano, Specialized, Ibis, Pivot, Cannondale, Niner, Rocky Mountain, Salsa, Santa Cruz, Trek, Yeti, and more!
    2. To Ride! You can get a cup of Verve coffee, book a Shuttle Ride from Shuttle Smith Adventures up to Demo, do a couple laps then cruise down Aptos Creek and have...
    3. Beer!! The local microbreweries will have beer for purchase! And fine local Santa Cruz food vendors will be serving up food to soak it up.
    4. To entertain the kids! If you have kids in tow, no worries - there is the pump track, as well as a Kid's Fun Lap!
    5. To compete! There are some fun events such as the Pumptrack Pandemonium and the Short Track race and the Amateur Jump Contest. Registration still available!
    6. To Learn! There are a variety of Bike Skills Clinics put on by Sweetlines for every skill level. (Note: The Sweetlines Enduro clinic is sold out and the other Sweetlines clinics are getting pretty full...)
    7. To Watch! All of the events are very spectator friendly, and seeing our local pro talent at the Dirt Jump Jam as well as the women's Sugar Showdown Jump Contest on Sunday will be sweet!
    8. To Volunteer! Volunteering for a 4 hour shift will net you a wonderful t-shirt, a raffle entry, and a good vibe.
    9. To Party! There is an after-party with a live band on Saturday from 5-7.
    10. To Win! There will be a raffle where you can win extraordinary, unbelievable, RIPpin' schwag. (hint hint...)
    11. To Represent! And last but not least, a large portion of all the money you spend here goes to support amazing new mountain bike trails, and we could use a few more of those...

OK, that's > 10. The benefits are too numerous to count!

Park at Sea Cliff Beach and ride your bike there if you can. There is secure valet bike parking for free. Car parking is definitely tight near the venue.
    Last edited by shredchic; 04-07-2013 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Got the recommended parking venue wrong
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    Always a great event! I'll be there!
    "It's not about the bike"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    No go for me. I shall be pondering whether it's okay for a 38 yr. old man to attempt a BMX backflip into the foam pit @ Woodward West Old School BMX Reunion. :/

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    No go for me. I shall be pondering whether it's okay for a 38 yr. old man to attempt a BMX backflip into the foam pit @ Woodward West Old School BMX Reunion. :/
    You got life insurance, right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    In September for my 48th birthday, I spent 3 days doing backflips into the foam pit at Woodward Tahoe. On the 3rd day, I moved it to the resi-mat and landed 2 backflips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc1y...A0yD2w&index=4

Prior to that, my only attempts at this were into the airbag at Sea Otter last April.

Of course, there were some miscalculations, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utIc...A0yD2w&index=3
    Take Gravity For A Ride

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm racing short track

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Can't wait! My g/f and I signed up to volunteer (and I'm hoping to demo a Mojo HD). Thanks for posting this!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 04-07-2013 at 11:20 PM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

I like mtn biking, too

Sweet RyanMTB - put on some mtbr socks or something so we can cheer for you!

Also, I forgot to mention that the parking this year isn't at Cabrillo, but they are asking peeps to park at Seacliff State Beach. Details are correct on the website.

And be sure to enter the raffle, because the grand prize is a choice of Mojo HD or Ripley from Ibis!!!
    Last edited by shredchic; 04-07-2013 at 11:14 PM.
    -Jake Watson

I like mtn biking, too

And thank you dirtvert & gf for volunteering!!! It is definitely much appreciated.
    -Jake Watson

swag ho Administrator
    This is the most awesome event in the Bay Area universe.

Attend.

Raise money for the new tractor trail.

Live the dream, take the family, meet the people that are affecting the mountain biking movement.
    IPA will save America

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'll be there to see if I can learn something from the great kirt vories in the enduro clinic. hope to see everyone out there

tastes like chicken

Some other deets...

This year is going to be the biggest and best festival yet. The team has been working really hard to dial up the quality. We hope to bring you the best bikes, athletes, food and beer and the great vibe that Santa Cruz is known for.

The weather is looking great for next weekend.

Some items of interest:

* Lots of great beer at the beer tent including kegs from "Discretion" breweries and Sante Adairius Rustic Ales. Who knew that Capitola is fast becoming the new west coast brewery hotspot.

* The Epicenter pump track was completely rebuilt last week. I rode it this morning and the flow has improved and it's wicked fast. There is a jump line along the fence which can be used while we run the events on the track.

* Sombrio will be bringing their portable plastic pump track to our festival. I really want to check this out. 4th Annual Santa Cruz Mountain Bike Festival in Aptos - Apri 13-14!-riglife6.png4th Annual Santa Cruz Mountain Bike Festival in Aptos - Apri 13-14!-p4pb8718302.jpg

* We are trying to reduce our environmental impact by reducing our waste. Operations and sound will use a portable solar array provided by Allterra Solar of Santa Cruz. Bottled water will not be sold on site but Zuvo Water will provide free filtered water. Bring a water container!

* There is no public parking at the site. Please carpool and park far away and ride in. Seacliff State Beach is a great place to go. You would have to pay the $10 state parks day use fee (free if you have an annual pass!) and ride 1 mile to the festival. A great option if you have family who want to spend the day at the beach so you can ride bikes, drink beer and bum around at the festival.

* Please volunteer if you have a 4 hours to spare. This is a grass roots, non-profit volunteer event. No one is paid except our vendors Consider donating some of your time to help us out. We can use some help on Friday April 12 with the set up. Benefits include T-shirt, lunch, entry into our generous volunteer raffle and there are other great benefits as well. Please contact volunteers@santacruzmountainbikefestival.com.

Thank you for your time and I hope to see you all at the festival.
    Last edited by mrtoadsc; 04-10-2013 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Seacliff not Seabright. Gulls not beer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Mark - I think you meant Seacliff State Beach. I love Seabright Beach, but it is farther away and has little to no parking

I like mtn biking, too
    rox - I so wish I pulled the trigger on that Enduro clinic sooner! It's all sold out. Let us know how it goes. Sounds awesome. Perhaps I can wiggle out of some volunteering to do the jump clinic
    -Jake Watson

tastes like chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean View Post
    Mark - I think you meant Seacliff State Beach. I love Seabright Beach, but it is farther away and has little to no parking
    You are correct. I have Seabright on my brain. See my post to the MBoSC list about the monthly meeting.

Can't wait for this festival to be over so I can drink beer, ride bikes, and sitting in front of the TV in my boxer shorts watching mind numbing crap while scratching my big fat gut. You know. Having a normal life.

It's all good

MarkyMark
    Whoohooo! I'm looking forward to this. Paige tried to sign-up for a skills clinic, but they're all full. :-(

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Is there a shuttle that runs from the bottom of Demo back to the top of Nisene, as well? Or is the ride - shuttle to top of Nisene, ride down Demo, ride up Demo, and ride back down to Aptos?

I like mtn biking, too
    Bummer - Yeah the mountain bike (core) skills clinics and enduro clinics are sold out. The Sweetlines jump clinic for women with Kat Sweet is still available!

The Short track races and pumptrack pandemonium are still available, and there are real prizes for podiums! (I think Paige would do great on the short track race Mark...!)
    -Jake Watson

tastes like chicken
    Drew (our trail guru) just finished building the short track course yesterday in between installing bridges at the Pogonip. I'm a big fan of using machines to build trails quickly. Drew rented a power mower and an excavator and built the whole course in less than 2 days.

Dave Shuttlesmith and son completed watering it down this afternoon and was planning to ride motos for a dozen laps to tamp it down.

We can use a hand riding the track it to pack it down for the weekend.

We have such an awesome community of trail builders and mountain bikers in Santa Cruz County. I feel blessed to work with such passionate volunteers.

This weekend is going to be amazing!

tastes like chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by Esses View Post
    Is there a shuttle that runs from the bottom of Demo back to the top of Nisene, as well? Or is the ride - shuttle to top of Nisene, ride down Demo, ride up Demo, and ride back down to Aptos?
    I think it can be arranged if you time it right. I understand that there is going to be a shuttle pickup for the Enduro clinic Saturday at 4 pm: Schedule | Santa Cruz Mountain Bike Festival

I may be wrong on the deets so don't take my word for it. We don't have specific plans to do pickups in Demo but you would have to work with Dave 'shuttle' Smith with that.

I like mtn biking, too
    Just a small heads-up - online registration for events, clinics and shuttle rides ends at midnight tonight! (See website event and shuttle pages for registration links). There is still on-site registration Saturday and Sunday if you don't mind chancing it .

And of course, to be clear - the festival itself is free to attend - no need for any registration if you are not doing clinics, competitive events or shuttles.
    Last edited by shredchic; 04-10-2013 at 12:31 PM.
    -Jake Watson

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So stoked to have a job interview in SC...PLEASE let me live here!!!!

I like mtn biking, too
    Also, can any of you spare some time to volunteer?

See Volunteer | Santa Cruz Mountain Bike Festival for details on how to sign up! They are particularly looking for folks to help out with registration and do raffle ticket sales. If you take a 4+ hour shift, you will receive a free lunch, raffle ticket and festival t-shirt.

Volunteering for the festival counts for folks in school looking for community service credits, as well!
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post

See Volunteer | Santa Cruz Mountain Bike Festival for details on how to sign up! They are particularly looking for folks to help out with registration and do raffle ticket sales. If you take a 4+ hour shift, you will receive a free lunch, raffle ticket and festival t-shirt.

Volunteering for the festival counts for folks in school looking for community service credits, as well!
    Just signed up for a double shift Sunday. Plan is to work booth in the AM, ride in the noon, come back, and help tear down. word
    I'm not sure how this works.

CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post

It might help people decide if there was a schedule online showing what slots need filling. Maybe some google doc or something.
    Master of the unintentional track stand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast