Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

3rd Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge....ahhhh yeah!

Here's how it works: between now and April 30, 2013, clean Dogmeat (from start of intersection of Limekiln and Priest Rock to top of mountain at the intersection...once you start, you cannot put your foot down) and you earn your name on the Wall of Fame and a Dogmeat No-Dab Tee-Shirt. I have done beers in the past so mixing it up with something more long lasting. Shirts are only available if more than 11 make the board before time runs out. Honor system.

Last year we had 14 no-dabbers...the year before 12:

2nd Annual Dogmeat Wall of Fame:
    1) Squashyo
    2) KeithMakesWine (x2)
    3) ask
    4) pmarshall
    5) mboldt (x2)
    6) mtbhead
    7) LG Man
    8) FatTireMan
    9) ancient rascal
    10) JL de Jong
    11) orthorex
    12) lilysdad
    13) bassn
    14) skidmarque

Here's the beast: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 2011_11_04_SierraAzul_20-40-50-20 near San Jose | Times and Records | Strava

The actual trail is at the intersection of Limekiln Trail and Priest Rock Trail and is the Priest Rock ascent to Kennedy Trail at this intersection. (Download map here: Openspace.org - Your Preserves - Sierra Azul)

For getting there, you have a few options. I'll go easy to hardest:

1) Park next to the reservoir on Alma Bridge Road
    (Yahoo! Maps, Driving Directions, and Traffic)
    You can park next to trail head at either Limekiln Trail or Priest Rock Trail. Limekiln is more of a chunky ascent, almost ST in nature - more on the technical side but not bad. Priest Rock Trail is just a steep FR that get's you there faster but more sustained steep.

2) Park on Jones Rd, Los Gatos and warm up through St. Josephs Hill. Just take this Jones Trail straight to Alma Bridge.
    Yahoo! Maps, Driving Directions, and Traffic
    This will give you a little more saddle time if you are looking for a longer ride. On the way back, you can double back and climb to the top of St Joes for some nice views or descend Kennedy for a bigger loop OR go right at the top of Dogmeat and take on the roller coasters to Limekiln for an even bigger day.

3) If you are feeling especially burly, take on the 20/40 minz challenge then go tackle Dogmeat. This entails Parking somewhere Downtown LG (Summit Bike store is a good start). Ride up Los Gatos Blvd to Kennedy(take a rt) , climb Kennedy Rd to Kennedy trail head. At trail entrance start your stop watch (or Strava or whatever). 1st long plateau is the 20 (big Oak tree in middle of trail) and the 40 is to the end of the last wall on Kennedy at top. This is a super grinder effort (especially the 20). At top, take on Roller coasters to Limekiln, and descend to Dogmeat start. See: Kennedy 20/40 2012 edition

AND FINALLY, if anyone wants to suggest or help with shirt design, let me know. GOOD LUCK and bring on the pain!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3rd Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge....ahhhh yeah!-screen-shot-2012-10-31-9.36.14-am.jpg  

Last edited by squashyo; 10-31-2012 at 10:02 AM. Reason: wrong date
    Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

mtbr dismember

Time machine?

Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Here's how it works: between now and April 30, 2012, clean Dogmeat...
    We need a time machine first

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    We need a time machine first
    ha whoops...sorry, product of the 60s. fixed, I think.

mtbr member
    Done! Pretty dry out there on top but not super loose...still brutal especially the last couple of walls...weeeeez. Whose next?

Pic 1 the start of hell
    Pic 2 the end of hell

NOTE TO FUTURE SELF: Future self, please don't ever, ever, ever, EVER try this again with a chest cold you stupid, obsessive, dip$%&*!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3rd Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge....ahhhh yeah!-dm1.jpg  

3rd Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge....ahhhh yeah!-dm2.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Done! Pretty dry out there on top but not super loose...still brutal especially the last couple of walls...weeeeez. Whose next?
    Nice work keepin' the power down with that balding down the middle rear tire. Gonna knock it out this weekend....

NONDURO
    I just mounted my new $300 set of fatbike tires, so I should have plenty of traction. I would prefer a bit more moisture to have settled into the ground before attempting it though.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Can't bring myself to go back there just for a fireroad climb...how about some alternate hill climbs in other places? Ones that are as big or bigger and everyone agrees at least as hard as Dogmeat. I can think of piles in Coe (and there the climbs are approaches for nice single tracks...and the climbs are often single tracks too), and there must be others in other spots in Northern California where those who've done Dogmeat can confirm they are at least as hard or way harder (like Silver Canyon near Bishop, which is a 6500' climb - a gradual 3000' climb followed by three and a half Dogmeats stacked on top of each other...and all at altitude...I can't even get close to doing that one clean!).

There are loads of at-least-as-hard-if-not-way-harder-than-Dogmeats at Coe...maybe for a suggestion of a comparable one would be Poverty Flat to Jackass to Blue Ridge - Poverty Flat is like Limekiln and Jackass to Blue Ridge is like Dogmeat. Lots of way-harder-than-Dogmeat options like Bear Mountain or Willow Ridge trail (or dozens of others that nearly no one even tries to climb up...except for Plymmer and a few others...).

It seems that it'd be cool to "open up" the pain (...whoops did I say "pain"? I meant "fun"...) to more folks in other spots! Plus that we can get a list of hill climbs to avoid...(whoops I meant "try out sometime"...ahem...).

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    You want more steep climbs? Coe has indeed plenty of hike-a-bike stuff, but it takes a while to get there.
    Here's one steep climb for some of the local parks going from "easy" to "impossible".

Santa Teresa: East Boundary
    Fremont Older: Ranch Road (bottom of Seven Springs straight up to Hunters Point)
    Long Ridge/Saratoga Gap: Long Ridge "the wall".
    El Corte de Madera: Fir trail (from Methusalah to Resolution)
    Also known as Menso's dad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by locoyokel View Post
    Can't bring myself to go back there just for a fireroad climb...how about some alternate hill climbs in other places? Ones that are as big or bigger and everyone agrees at least as hard as Dogmeat. I can think of piles in Coe (and there the climbs are approaches for nice single tracks...and the climbs are often single tracks too), and there must be others in other spots in Northern California where those who've done Dogmeat can confirm they are at least as hard or way harder (like Silver Canyon near Bishop, which is a 6500' climb - a gradual 3000' climb followed by three and a half Dogmeats stacked on top of each other...and all at altitude...I can't even get close to doing that one clean!).

There are loads of at-least-as-hard-if-not-way-harder-than-Dogmeats at Coe...maybe for a suggestion of a comparable one would be Poverty Flat to Jackass to Blue Ridge - Poverty Flat is like Limekiln and Jackass to Blue Ridge is like Dogmeat. Lots of way-harder-than-Dogmeat options like Bear Mountain or Willow Ridge trail (or dozens of others that nearly no one even tries to climb up...except for Plymmer and a few others...).

It seems that it'd be cool to "open up" the pain (...whoops did I say "pain"? I meant "fun"...) to more folks in other spots! Plus that we can get a list of hill climbs to avoid...(whoops I meant "try out sometime"...ahem...).
    All fine and dandy but this is my simple annual Dogmeat Challenge. Perhaps this will inspire you to set up your own challenge(s) in these other places of suffering. Me personally, I don't need way harder...this one is plenty hard enough for me. Perhaps if you read through my first Annual thread, you'll see why I chose this spot for my MTBR friends to try: Cleaned Dogmeat! F. Yeah! Club?

word

(slight return)
    Nice cable routing job on that bike Squashyo!

-slide

mtbr member
    Cool. I'm gonna try it. I'm a noob, how much shall I expect this to kick my butt?

pro leisure tour
    Quote Originally Posted by Beandip4all View Post
    Cool. I'm gonna try it. I'm a noob, how much shall I expect this to kick my butt?
    Well lets see.....you climb and climb until you are really tired. Then it gets much steeper, so it will kick your butt at least a little!
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slide mon View Post
    Nice cable routing job on that bike Squashyo!

-slide
    HA! Yes, not going to win any beauty contests!

Is this thing on?
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyJay View Post
    Well lets see.....you climb and climb until you are really tired. Then it gets much steeper, so it will kick your butt at least a little!
    Then you get to Dogmeat and things get interesting (really steep).

mtbr member

Whose next ?

Not us.3rd Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge....ahhhh yeah!-1103121200.jpg

3rd Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge....ahhhh yeah!-1103121247a.jpg Not even close for me but LG man slid out with only 300 feet to go today. Congrats Josh !
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well, hopefully this time around I'll conquer it much soon then last...lol.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by locoyokel View Post

I was just at Coe yesterday (helping clear trails and managed to get in 7,100+ footies in) and rode some of the steep-ass uphill stuff. Last month I completed the HardCoere100 challenge (22 hours 35 minutes, 100+ miles, 21,000+ footies) and was amazed at the steepness and pain factor of a lot of those climbs!!! I couldn’t imagine anyone sadistic enough to have a “Coe uphill festival of pain” solely for the sake of doing no-dabs, seeing as it takes a bit of energy just riding out to where the ass-whooper climbs are.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by JL de Jong View Post
    You want more steep climbs? Coe has indeed plenty of hike-a-bike stuff, but it takes a while to get there.
    Here's one steep climb for some of the local parks going from "easy" to "impossible".

Santa Teresa: East Boundary
    In my opinion, going up Boundary Climb no-dabs is waaaaay easier than Dogmeat no-dabs. A way harder one, however (which you and I once rode together) is the Ohlone to Boundary climb as one continuous uphill effort no-dabs. Chews you up and spits you out, yet I find it easier to do no-dabs up this than Dogmeat.

mtbr member
    I gave it a shot yesterday intending to get this year's dogmeat no-dab out of the way early. No joy. Dabbed once on the long runout after the last steep pitch, felt like hurling and lost my focus. Next time it is mine!

mtbr member
    Sounds like some great efforts out there! Hope we see some new faces this year...Francois, LP...maybe a gal!!! I tried to recruit Shredchic but that's a long way to go for a fire road climb. .

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I got my Ebike rented and ready to go..........................
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Sounds like some great efforts out there! Hope we see some new faces this year...Francois, LP...maybe a gal!!! I tried to recruit Shredchic but that's a long way to go for a fire road climb. .
    God...I love Kennedy challenge season ! Might as well pencil in LG man if he rides this weekend. I usually watch him go by me when I miss as he cleans Dogmeat... Kind of a yearly tradition ! May have the gal to clean it ! I shoot her a text invite. B. Climber's not real fond of Dogmeat either !
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

I like mtn biking, too
    Haha Squashyo - thanks for including us gals in the fun. I might give it a shot - it's on the way to work for me. My friend at the campfire is also awesome at clearing steep hills. Or maybe some weekend when the santa cruz redwood duff gets too soggy to ride, we'll head over there... I have no idea what I'm signing up for.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JL de Jong View Post
    El Corte de Madera: Fir trail (from Methusalah to Resolution)
    +1. I tried to take that as a short-cut one of my first Skeggs rides...not pretty

Squashyo -- do you have a mobile work station on your handlebar?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by agleck7 View Post
    +1. I tried to take that as a short-cut one of my first Skeggs rides...not pretty

Squashyo -- do you have a mobile work station on your handlebar?
    I sort of do...it's just an iPhone holder. Because I work from home, found it easier to manage boss/client check ins and I can listen to music with easier access...geeky but effective.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast