Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Is there an easy way to get to the bottom without expending too much energy? I think I've got a shot at it if I hit it fresh enough. Compared it to Sulphur and it's just a bit steeper, but I was also tired when I hit that. I specialize in going up things very slowly but without dabbing.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    Is there an easy way to get to the bottom without expending too much energy? I think I've got a shot at it if I hit it fresh enough. Compared it to Sulphur and it's just a bit steeper, but I was also tired when I hit that. I specialize in going up things very slowly but without dabbing.
    Good man! I applaud your desire and the force is strong with you but Dogmeat is quite a bit more challenging than Sulfer...by a long shot. They may be the same height but Dogmeat has much steeper pitches especially at the end which is a very long stretch of pain. I think most of the folks conquering here are on pretty light bikes (aside from a couple of total freak shows). Anyhow, give her a go but it aint no Sulfer...let me know when you head out, maybe I can join you.

As for getting to bottom without suffering, not going to happen. I think your best bet is to climb/hike Limekiln from the Lexington Resevoir. This is a pretty rocky mess though and it still climbs quite a bit. I prefer climbing Priest Rock from the resevoir. It is the quickest and smoothest route but has some mean pitches that can sap your energy. If you can't climb lower Priest, upper Priest (or Dogmeat) will be close to impossible. If you do head out the try the challenge, use the short reliefs as you climb unsparingly...rest like a MFer (without dabbing) till the next hill hits. On the last climb, just give her all you got. You will see it and say, 'holy ****' but just keep a good, consistant spin, stay left along the buffed out part (ha), and getter done.

word
    I'm not sure how this works.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Yeah, the one thing that worries me is spinning the rear tire and losing all momentum, since it looks a little dusty/rocky out there. I really just need to go out and try it once to get a feel. Or borrow someones 20lb 29er hardtail
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Let out a ton of air on rear tire before you try! Sulpher doesn't compare at all. Just go slow and save energy like Josh said. You can do it. I would let you borrow my bike but it is now 1X10 and that won't help at all. Good luck young one!
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    Alright people...less than 2 months to go. Just climbed (dodging newts left and right) up lower Priest today and it was super tough. Many thick mud spots really made for a challenging ascent. I figure by this weekend, Dogmeat will be prime! Are we done here or are there anymore brave souls looking to achieve a little fame? Still no ladies representing here as well...sup wit dat?

Let's do this! Who's next?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

T-Shirt Weather

I was getting worried I was not going to make it this year - especially with T-shirts on the line. All my buds - lilysdad, Porkstaker, Ancient Rascal made it and were talking about next year. Today, I went up with Ancient Rascal to give it a go and....chalked down a nice clean ride. It was a nice day and fun was had by all (AR was going back for more afterward). I attached some pics courtesy of Ancient Rascal.

3rd Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge....ahhhh yeah!-0310131230.jpg3rd Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge....ahhhh yeah!-0310131230a.jpg3rd Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge....ahhhh yeah!-0310131232a.jpg

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by LG Man View Post
    I was getting worried I was not going to make it this year - especially with T-shirts on the line. All my buds - lilysdad, Porkstaker, Ancient Rascal made it and were talking about next year. Today, I went up with Ancient Rascal to give it a go and....chalked down a nice clean ride. It was a nice day and fun was had by all (AR was going back for more afterward). I attached some pics courtesy of Ancient Rascal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0310131230.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	779637Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0310131230a.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	779639Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0310131232a.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	779640
    Alright dude, well done!!!!!!!!! Welcome to Club No-Dabs™!!!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member

LG man is in !

LG man made it yesterday but his post ended up off this last page 8. We saw Orthorex coming down it saying it was a bit loose. T shirt weather indeed and congrats to you sir! ... 3rd Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge....ahhhh yeah! - Page 8
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

mtbr member
    LG Man in the house! Great job and picked a fine day to do it! That's 19! Woohoo...

3rd Annual Dogmeat Wall of Fame:
    1) Squashyo
    2) orthorex
    3) Andy J.
    4) skidmarque
    5) pmarshall (3x)
    6) mboldt (x3)
    7) ask (Double Shot - in one day)
    8) rogan
    9) Ancient Rascal (Single Speed!)
    10) Axe
    11) lilysdad
    12) sirkrameroy
    13) Leopold Porkstacker (4x)
    14) Tosa
    15) JL de Jong
    16) El Hombre
    17) jasony13
    18) vincinator99
    19) LG Man

mtbr member

So you feel lucky ... B. Climber ? tamale @ 3

B. Climber is gonna pull a pistol /Scott or a Cannondale tomorrow for a no dab. I told him ... you have to have a T-Shirt bro! Then of course I had to mess with him and dare him to have me post up the 3 pm at Kennedy gate tomorrow ride to the top then down dogmeat and back up no dab. I will be going along to take pics only. Not gonna mess with 32x19 up that for a futile attempt again anytime soon. Yo ... Which bike man and will you make it?3rd Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge....ahhhh yeah!-img956749.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    B. Climber is gonna pull a pistol /Scott or a Cannondale tomorrow for a no dab. I told him ... you have to have a T-Shirt bro! Then of course I had to mess with him and dare him to have me post up the 3 pm at Kennedy gate tomorrow ride to the top then down dogmeat and back up no dab. I will be going along to take pics only. Not gonna mess with 32x19 up that for a futile attempt again anytime soon. Yo ... Which bike man and will you make it?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG956749.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	780346
    yes.

mtbr member

Challenging attempt today for B. Climber

He sold his c-dale 26er with all the itty bitty gears ... so it's gonna have to be the Scott Scale 29er set up as a 1x12. Not sure what he has but it will be mighty tough running close to 1 to 1. Indeed ... he says he has 36x36. If he can do it with that ... well then he is .... as Eddie Murphy would say .... Hercules / Hercules !
    Last edited by ancient rascal; 03-13-2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Gearing confirmation

mtbr member

Next time

36x36 proved a bit too much for B. Climber today on Dogmeat. Horrible was the word he kept using. Cool that he gave it a shot saying he was gonna try. Most folks get a 22t front ring instead of the 36 he tried with. Good try my friend! 3rd Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge....ahhhh yeah!-0313131633a.jpg3rd Annual Dogmeat No Dab Challenge....ahhhh yeah!-0313131632.jpg

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    36x36 proved a bit too much for B. Climber today on Dogmeat. Horrible was the word he kept using. Cool that he gave it a shot saying he was gonna try. Most folks get a 22t front ring instead of the 36 he tried with. Good try my friend! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0313131633a.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	780653Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0313131632.jpg 
Views:	464 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	780654
    He’s a badass for making it as far as he did with that messed-up “low gear” ratio.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    He’s a badass for making it as far as he did with that messed-up “low gear” ratio.

Sup guys,

Congrats to all those guys that succeeded at the dogmeat challenge,
    That's very difficult cause its already too dry and I thought it would be easier, but I won't go down without a good fight, I will try again, but next time I will have a 34t single chain ring instead of 36t!

And A.R on a single speed up dogmeat, he is the real badass!

Cheers,

B.C

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazilian Climber View Post
    Sup guys,

That's very difficult cause its already too dry and I thought it would be easier, but I won't go down without a good fight, I will try again, but next time I will have a 34t single chain ring instead of 36t!

Cheers,

B.C
    Dude, you got this! Looks like you made it pretty far on that gearing system...you seemed to have died where it really gets tough though watch that chuck after the left turn. Got get em buddy!

Hipster
    I've never cleared it on my hardtail either. Failed with 32/36 a few months ago. Now I'm running 34t up front but I'm a bit stronger. Will try again when my shoulder heals.

Quote Originally Posted by Brazilian Climber View Post
    Sup guys,

Cheers,

B.C

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Good lord.

That was truly redonkulous. I guess riding in from San Jose wasn't the best plan for success! I was working pretty hard from the bottom of Priest Rock and spun out on the first really stout, loose hill on Dogmeat, then I walked--tail between my legs--up the top half of the Wall at the end. I've seen some nasty climbs over the years--and that's one of the nastiest, especially since you can't "tack" up the tough parts at all. Big props to y'all that pull it off.

Ain't gonna be no rematch. Don't want one...

You're a sick man, Mr. Squashyo--sick and twisted (which is a really fun trail, btw)!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 03-21-2013 at 09:46 PM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Good try though! There are only a few other known south bay climbs that can compete. It is super hard so don't be down about it. Even going up Priest Rock to the trail head has super steep sections. It is a sick and twisted challenge for sure.
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    Not enough rain, I believe conditions on Dogmeat are back to impossible again!
    Squashyo you've truly set a high bar, not even twenty of us can do it.
    I think my CB350 got stuck in the same place my recoil does now.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    There are only a few other known south bay climbs that can compete.
    Here is a partial list of pain-inducing climbing segments here in the South Bay:

Joice Trail Climb, STCP — 0.1 miles of exquisite pain — 140 feet of gain on loose stuff with a 19.2% average grade
    Boundary Climb, STCP — 0.7 miles of varying degrees of pain — 450 feet of gain on very loose stuff (loose in all the wrong places!!!) with grades exceeding 28% in places
    Coyote Peak to Boundary Climb, STCP — 798 feet in 1.2 miles on loose (in all the wrong places) stuff
    The Three Bastard Brothers (a.k.a. Upper Kennedy Trail), Sierra Azul/Kennedy to Woods — has steep-ass (38%!?!?!?!) uphill and downhill sections that chew you up and spit you out
    Barlow Beatdown, Sierra Azul/Kennedy/El Sombroso — just awful, especially in the summertime — the first 1/10 mile is absolutely messed-up and tourette’s-inducing fun

I should add the disclaimer, that although some of these are called “roads”, that they are in fact loose surface dirt fire roads.
    Last edited by Leopold Porkstacker; 03-21-2013 at 10:52 PM.

mtbr member
    i believe the downhills may be worse than the climbs on the The Three Bastard Brothers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    Good lord.

That was truly redonkulous. I guess riding in from San Jose wasn't the best plan for success! I was working pretty hard from the bottom of Priest Rock and spun out on the first really stout, loose hill on Dogmeat, then I walked--tail between my legs--up the top half of the Wall at the end. I've seen some nasty climbs over the years--and that's one of the nastiest, especially since you can't "tack" up the tough parts at all. Big props to y'all that pull it off.

Ain't gonna be no rematch. Don't want one...

You're a sick man, Mr. Squashyo--sick and twisted (which is a really fun trail, btw)!
    Good try soldier. She's a monster for sure and the first time out is always rough....though sounds like first and last for you. When all you have in your backyard is long, steep fireroad, you can get pretty good at it. Hope you don't let it beat you though...it's a good goal to push for even though it sucks.

word

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Couch Bike Dude View Post
    i believe the downhills may be worse than the climbs on the The Three Bastard Brothers.
    Dem rotten bastids ! Stand and mash on those boys always sends me home with sore feet!

mtbr member
    DigDirtDude makes it twenty!!! He had to sign up for this MTBR thing to tell me. I guess AR told him about it and he knocked her down last Saturday. Good job man and welcome to the club:

3rd Annual Dogmeat Wall of Fame:
    1) Squashyo
    2) orthorex
    3) Andy J.
    4) skidmarque
    5) pmarshall (3x)
    6) mboldt (x3)
    7) ask (Double Shot - in one day)
    8) rogan
    9) Ancient Rascal (Single Speed!)
    10) Axe
    11) lilysdad
    12) sirkrameroy
    13) Leopold Porkstacker (4x)
    14) Tosa
    15) JL de Jong
    16) El Hombre
    17) jasony13
    18) vincinator99
    19) LG Man
    20) DigDirtDude

Side note: I am not getting much traction on Tee Shirt design options so may revert back to beer. The beer was sorta cool because people had to go back up and claim their prize with a photo...thought that was cool. Happy to do shirts still if that's what the people want but I am not sure how to tackle.

Just over a month to go! Great turn out this year!!!

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast