• 12-09-2012
    rogan
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    Congrats to you sir ! :thumbsup: If you made it before Nov. 23 perhaps #8 should be you and #9 for me? :)

    I climbed it on the 19th. Like I said traction was primo that day.
  • 12-09-2012
    squashyo
    Nice job rogan...not cheating in the least...still gotta have the lungs to maintain that pitch. (order don't matter to me but:

    3rd Annual Dogmeat Wall of Fame:
    1) Squashyo
    2) orthorex
    3) Andy J.
    4) skidmarque
    5) pmarshall
    6) mboldt
    7) ask (double Shot)
    8) rogan
    9) Ancient Rascal (Single Speed!)
  • 12-09-2012
    ancient rascal
    Fixed !
    That is the correct listing. I am a big fan of coincidence and my number was 9 last year also. Thanks for humoring me ! :thumbsup: Pretty choppy with rocks out there on dogmeat but still not bad conditions.
  • 12-09-2012
    grumblingcrustacean
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post

    That's CHUM on pretty much anything with a positive grade...
  • 12-09-2012
    somanygoodbikes
    Four of us visited these trails for the first time yesterday and attempted the challenge. All of us were undone in the same zone as above -- you can see the same grouping of trees in ancient rascal's picture.

    The first two guys made it a bit farther but I made the mistake of trying to stand up to try and dig a little deeper through the tough bit. It was too slick and I have no skills, so the tire spun immediately and I was done. That was annoying because I wasn't really in trouble yet, but I was worried that my heart rate was going to go critical before I got to the crest if I stayed seated.

    The view from my fail.

    http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/...all_dabbed.png

    It surprised me that in all the discussion in this thread (and a few others) which we read before heading down there, no one went out of their way to mention that climbing from Alma Bridge Road up Limekiln to the starting point of this is pretty damn hard in its own right. There's a long section of climbing through baby-head rocks that reminded us of Two Quarry at Annadel, and I was about ready to barf after clearing that.
  • 12-09-2012
    pmarshall
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by somanygoodbikes View Post
    Four of us visited these trails for the first time yesterday and attempted the challenge. All of us were undone in the same zone as above -- you can see the same grouping of trees in ancient rascal's picture.

    The first two guys made it a bit farther but I made the mistake of trying to stand up to try and dig a little deeper through the tough bit. It was too slick and I have no skills, so the tire spun immediately and I was done. That was annoying because I wasn't really in trouble yet, but I was worried that my heart rate was going to go critical before I got to the crest if I stayed seated.

    The view from my fail.

    http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/...all_dabbed.png

    It surprised me that in all the discussion in this thread (and a few others) which we read before heading down there, no one went out of their way to mention that climbing from Alma Bridge Road up Limekiln to the starting point of this is pretty damn hard in its own right. There's a long section of climbing through baby-head rocks that reminded us of Two Quarry at Annadel, and I was about ready to barf after clearing that.

    Yeah your right about the initial climb to the base of "Dogmeat". The limekiln (Overgrown) climb can be a tough one especially if you weren't expecting it. My HR goes througth the roof just after the trail in your picture when it takes a slight left turn. It is a struggle to keep traction and resist the urge to stand and not have a coronary at the same time. Now you understand the reason for the challenge! There are other brutal climbs in the bay area but because of the traction issue and close proximity to civilization, this is a chart topper. I have heard of a harder one called "Bear Mountain" in Henry Coe park. Same type terrain but longer climb of similar gradient. Good try and I am sure you"ll be back to claim your spot on the list!
  • 12-10-2012
    ask
    Overgrown is in especially rough shape now after all the rain the past couple weeks. It is not usually as tough to climb as it probably was last weekend for you guys. That baby head section is way rougher than normal. Good try on the challenge guys!
  • 12-10-2012
    Leopold Porkstacker
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    I have heard of a harder one called "Bear Mountain" in Henry Coe park. Same type terrain but longer climb of similar gradient.

    Bear Mountain is a ball buster, make no mistake. Much more demanding than Dogmeat.
  • 12-11-2012
    Axe
    1 Attachment(s)
    Both success and a failure..

    Deciding that I could work when it is raining, finished bike part realignment in the morning, went climbed Priest Rock, with some rest at the Limekiln intersection. Then with some suffering (I am not strong enough for 1x10 here) cleaned it to the top. Woohoo.

    Had lunch, decided that work is for suckers, and went back deciding to try to no-dab Limekiln and Dogmeat in one go.. Made it to the next to last steep section, got distracted.. spinned out and failed. Rested and got up, but goal missed. I pretty much have no chance of recovering there if not maintaining pace, whatever I can master.

    If it dries out after tomorrows rain, will get back with a heavy FS bike. It got granny and fat ass tires, could be easier despite extra 12 pounds.

    Weather and trail was perfect.. but I had no energy left even to descend fast enough... forgot to put clipless pedals into my tool bag... used platforms I keep there for street shoes and skate shoes. Not bad at all, actually. Maybe even easier for me...
  • 12-11-2012
    jpre
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pmarshall
    Good try and I am sure you"ll be back to claim your spot on the list!

    To hear him talk about it I'm not so sure he wants to ever go back...

    Personally now that I've seen it once I don't even understand how anyone could do it ss.
  • 12-11-2012
    somanygoodbikes
    It's inevitable there will be another weekend when most other destinations are muddy and our choices are limited to this or Oat Hill.

    Plus I still want to see what is on that segment over Kennedy trail to the top of the upper half of Limekiln.

    Plotting behind the scenes has already come up with this so far.

    Go earlier -- to allow for two attempts at Dogmeat with a break in between if the first fails.
    Skip St. Joes.
    Take it much easier going up Overgrown. Maybe even take a scenery break or two.
    Rest at the base of Dogmeat.
    I'd even go so far as to leave my ten pound backpack at the start and come back for it, if I knew I was coming back that way.
  • 12-12-2012
    ancient rascal
    Lots to see ... Sierra Azul
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by somanygoodbikes View Post
    It's inevitable there will be another weekend when most other destinations are muddy and our choices are limited to this or Oat Hill.

    Plus I still want to see what is on that segment over Kennedy trail to the top of the upper half of Limekiln.

    Plotting behind the scenes has already come up with this so far.

    Go earlier -- to allow for two attempts at Dogmeat with a break in between if the first fails.
    Skip St. Joes.
    Take it much easier going up Overgrown. Maybe even take a scenery break or two.
    Rest at the base of Dogmeat.
    I'd even go so far as to leave my ten pound backpack at the start and come back for it, if I knew I was coming back that way.

    Lots to climb ...Come and get it ! 8000 plus ft. gain to climb on 3 different routes to the top of El Sombroso @ 2999 ft. Let me know ... the boys and I will join in the misery ! Woods Trail Wildflowers, Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve :D
  • 12-12-2012
    squashyo
    Awesome work Axe! Welcome to the board! Looks like I am going to need to work on a tee-shirt design. :)

    3rd Annual Dogmeat Wall of Fame:
    1) Squashyo
    2) orthorex
    3) Andy J.
    4) skidmarque
    5) pmarshall
    6) mboldt
    7) ask (double Shot)
    8) rogan
    9) Ancient Rascal (Single Speed!)
    10) Axe
  • 12-12-2012
    squashyo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by somanygoodbikes View Post
    It's inevitable there will be another weekend when most other destinations are muddy and our choices are limited to this or Oat Hill.

    Plus I still want to see what is on that segment over Kennedy trail to the top of the upper half of Limekiln.

    Plotting behind the scenes has already come up with this so far.

    Go earlier -- to allow for two attempts at Dogmeat with a break in between if the first fails.
    Skip St. Joes.
    Take it much easier going up Overgrown. Maybe even take a scenery break or two.
    Rest at the base of Dogmeat.
    I'd even go so far as to leave my ten pound backpack at the start and come back for it, if I knew I was coming back that way.

    Be careful about coming out when everything else is wet...Dogmeat can get pretty slick about mid way up which sucks if you are trying for a no dab. Also, another option is to take Priest from the bottom rather than Overgrown...steeper but shorter without any chunk to get in the way. One other thing that helps is to go ultra slow for rest at the various relief spots along the way...you probably knew that.

    Axe: "went back deciding to try to no-dab Limekiln and Dogmeat in one go"

    The ultimate challenge is to do a No-Dab from the bottom all the way to Woods Trail head...this means peaking the top of Dogmeat, continuing right, and cleaning all the roller coasters which are STEEP little batsards! Doable of course but hard on tired legs.
  • 12-18-2012
    squashyo
    Trail should be ripe for some new faces. Anyone want to hit this Wednesday or Friday? Around noon?
  • 12-18-2012
    bassn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Trail should be ripe for some new faces. Anyone want to hit this Wednesday or Friday? Around noon?

    I might be up for it on Friday. Noon would work.

    EDIT: Do you plan on doing a No Dab all the way up to Woods?
  • 12-18-2012
    squashyo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    I might be up for it on Friday. Noon would work.

    EDIT: Do you plan on doing a No Dab all the way up to Woods?

    Cool! So, I have accomplished that in the past but hadn't planned on it...can be convinced but AGH that's a rough ride.
  • 12-18-2012
    ancient rascal
    You guys ! ... with the ridge eh?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Cool! So, I have accomplished that in the past but hadn't planned on it...can be convinced but AGH that's a rough ride.

    Such show offs ! T-shirts can do that to you though ! ;) Nonstop all the way back to Alma bridge road huh ? Did it one time only on the Klein many years ago ! :)
  • 12-18-2012
    lilysdad
    Third time's a charm
    Had a slow day at work so I took off at noon and went up and knocked this out. Great day for it. Should be even better tomorrow.
  • 12-18-2012
    ancient rascal
    Nice !
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lilysdad View Post
    Had a slow day at work so I took off at noon and went up and knocked this out. Great day for it. Should be even better tomorrow.

    Let me be the first to say Congrats ... # Levvin ! :thumbsup:
  • 12-18-2012
    Leopold Porkstacker
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lilysdad View Post
    Had a slow day at work so I took off at noon and went up and knocked this out. Great day for it. Should be even better tomorrow.

    Excellent! :band:
  • 12-18-2012
    squashyo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lilysdad View Post
    Had a slow day at work so I took off at noon and went up and knocked this out. Great day for it. Should be even better tomorrow.

    Atta boy! Wondering when we'd see you on the wall of fame for this year. I rode today too (other hill across the way) and it was COLD!!! Numb toes on the way up...numb fingers on the way down. Anyhow, that's 11 so we all gotta make some room in our tee shirt drawer! :)

    3rd Annual Dogmeat Wall of Fame:
    1) Squashyo
    2) orthorex
    3) Andy J.
    4) skidmarque
    5) pmarshall
    6) mboldt
    7) ask (double Shot)
    8) rogan
    9) Ancient Rascal (Single Speed!)
    10) Axe
    11) lilysdad
  • 12-19-2012
    ask
    Congrats all... Lilysdad, did you do it on your SS?

    PS - You guys that climb this on SS are some strong mofos! I was stoked to clear Overgrown (non-stop) this morning on my SS... after all the rain Overgrown is pretty hairy to climb. Even with my easy/mud gearing, there is no way I could have kept going and cleared Dogmeat non-stop.
  • 12-19-2012
    lilysdad
    No SS, yet.
    I did it with gears on a 26" hardtail. Actually, it was mostly just 1 gear. I would like to try it on the SS.
  • 12-19-2012
    ancient rascal
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lilysdad View Post
    I did it with gears on a 26" hardtail. Actually, it was mostly just 1 gear. I would like to try it on the SS.

    Pretty sure squashyo only wants/permits one single speeder per season on the list?:smilewinkgrin: That may have happened already? Edit ... I'm a kidder ya know ! Proper 32x20 single speed 26er or the equiv. on a 29er etc. will be tough! :yesnod: