Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    A nice little 5th place trophy to boot...well done sir!

3rd Annual Dogmeat Wall of Fame:
    1) Squashyo
    2) orthorex
    3) Andy J.
    4) skidmarque
    5) pmarshall
    6) mboldt
    Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

Let's ride SuperModerator
    I will have to do this this year. Time's a wastin!

You guys do this on SS?!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    This list is building nicely! Congrats to those who have knocked it out early...

I am pretty sure I have seen AR on the SS over the last few weekends. It seems impossible to me. Gonna get the "X2" this weekend. I hope...
    Last edited by orthorex; 11-15-2012 at 09:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Just fyi, I do not at all recommend trying for the challenge till the dirt dries out a bit...I came down Dogmeat today and the mud was thick and plenty...I think no dabbing now might be somewhat impossible. Cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I gave it a shot today. I had gone up Kennedy and came down Dogmeat. It was muddy in spots, but the mud seemed to come off the tires fairly well when I hit the firm spots. When I got to the top of Overgrown I decided to give it a shot and head back up. It wasn't as bad as I thought but I still dabbed 3 times. The muddy spots were too much on the climb. The upper portion felt really good. Overall, it was a great day to ride.

mtbr member
    Nice try Craig for such a crappy day! Only a 3 dabber on a muddy mess like that is a win in our books!
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lilysdad View Post
    I gave it a shot today. I had gone up Kennedy and came down Dogmeat. It was muddy in spots, but the mud seemed to come off the tires fairly well when I hit the firm spots. When I got to the top of Overgrown I decided to give it a shot and head back up. It wasn't as bad as I thought but I still dabbed 3 times. The muddy spots were too much on the climb. The upper portion felt really good. Overall, it was a great day to ride.
    Were you out there with a ss or did you bring gears?
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I used gears. My SS is still set up with a 32/17. I'll have to switch it out sometime soon. But first, I think I'll accomplish the challenge with a geared bike.

mtbr member
    Craig, you have the Orbea right? I bet that thing is a pure beast!
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Paul, yes I do. Last year I did this on the challenge on a '95 Bontrager with a 3 x 9. The Orbea is a 2 x 10. I think I have a couple lower gears on the Bontrager.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho View Post

Rumor has it ... These guys may be thinking about some pmarshall SS'n "personal glory" ... lilysdad, el hombre, ask, LP, mboldt, francois's SS racing buds, etc. You have one also ...eh?

ask
    user

Good job! Done

Done... I finally completed the double dogmeat no-dabber. I have tried it a couple times in past years, but always failed. This year I went super slow and pulled it off. I think I fried my granny gear though... it was sucking in the chain pretty bad on the last climb and I had to middle-ring the entire way back to my truck.

It was sunny when I left my house and then proceeded to rain the entire time I was rolling... and then stopped when I got back to my truck. So you can imagine the climbing conditions were less than stellar. About the .6 mile mark up Dogmeat I literally could not see any knobs on either tire. It was pretty funny.

Anyway... I hate this climb and I am never doing it again.

Congrats to all of you that have completed this climb and good luck to everyone that is planning to try it. It is not that bad.

mtbr member
    Hold the phone...are you saying you went up Dogmeat without dabbing, went back down and up and done did it again...what the **** is wrong with you!? HA...nice work on this task in far from ideal conditions. A nice chain suck induced dab near the top would've sucked (literally). (By the way, I was just at the top of El Sereno and it was a blizzard up there)

3rd Annual Dogmeat Wall of Fame:
    1) Squashyo
    2) orthorex
    3) Andy J.
    4) skidmarque
    5) pmarshall
    6) mboldt
    7) ask
    Last edited by squashyo; 11-20-2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: MISSED again

ask
    user
    Yes... that is what I'm saying.

2 Dogmeat climbs back to back / no dabs. I stopped at the intersection of Overgrown / Dogmeat to down a gel in between and then rode back up. I am not sure why I thought that was a good idea, especially given the weather. I almost got blown over on the first climb and it took a long time to get all the mud out of my bike.

I am beat and all I wanted to do was crack open a Pliny afterwards... but it was ~10am and I had to go to work. LOL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post
    Yes... that is what I'm saying.

2 Dogmeat climbs back to back / no dabs. I stopped at the intersection of Overgrown / Dogmeat to down a gel in between and then rode back up. I am not sure why I thought that was a good idea, especially given the weather. I almost got blown over on the first climb and it took a long time to get all the mud out of my bike.

I am beat and all I wanted to do was crack open a Pliny afterwards... but it was ~10am and I had to go to work. LOL
    Nice work ask ! The flood gates of Dogmeat hell are pretty much opened up now ! Wait till Diesel gets wind of this. Oh and you will be going back one more time ... won't you ?

ask
    user
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    Nice work ask ! The flood gates of Dogmeat hell are pretty much opened up now ! Wait till Diesel gets wind of this. Oh and you will be going back one more time ... won't you ?
    Thanks AR! I was thinking about trying it on my SS in better conditions... but I'd probably need an easier gearing. I doubt I could mash up the last couple steep sections on my 29er running 32x22 without losing traction.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Thanks AR! I was thinking about trying it on my SS in better conditions... but I'd probably need an easier gearing. I doubt I could mash up the last couple steep sections on my 29er running 32x22 without losing traction.
    How low can you gear so it still qualifies as an SS?

Would me staying in 23 to 32 count? 23t in front...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    How low can you gear so it still qualifies as an SS?

Would me staying in 23 to 32 count? 23t in front...
    Finally this SS can of Dogmeat worms is about to be opened thanks to ask! Right arm and Farm out ! I suppose the current SS "Boss"/ Lilysdad should be consulted?

ask
    user
    haha... I supposed I practically did it SS today too if you count granny gearing most of the climb singlespeeding.

Dogmeat isn't really ideal for SS. The gearing that I'd have to use to clear it would be so low that I'd have to spin like crazy during the rest of the ride to and from Dogmeat.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Dogmeat isn't really ideal for SS.
    Ugh.. yes..

Maybe we should set, say 26 gear inches, as a minimum?

(I am thinking about it as I just set up my light bike as 1x10, and wonder if I can make it. Will try if it dries up a little.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Ugh.. yes..

Maybe we should set, say 26 gear inches, as a minimum?

(I am thinking about it as I just set up my light bike as 1x10, and wonder if I can make it. Will try if it dries up a little.)
    We could use surly as a guide. They sell a 22t cog and that is pretty much as large as most manufacturers go. 32x22 is the limit I allow myself on the Lynskey and it works good at Kennedy for me. Name:  1120121646.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  21.5 KB

Name:  1120121639.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  22.8 KB Last year I got myself on the list with the Klein set up single speed with a pretty wimpy 24x22 set up and you should just use what works for you. It is fun to push things though for a challenge.
    Last edited by ancient rascal; 11-21-2012 at 08:50 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Hold the phone...are you saying you went up Dogmeat without dabbing, went back down and up and done did it again..
    No. Just no. Awesome.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    For this challenge, I think it is up to the individual. On a geared bike, I end up in my smallest gear, which is probably smaller than I would use on a ss. There is no way I could clean Dogmeat with the gear I normally use, so I would have to come up with something suitable for the grade if I were to attempt this on a ss. Right now, the largest cog I have is 17t, so if I switch my chainring to a 22t and run a 15t cog, I can match what AR is running.

mtbr member
    2 Dogmeat climbs back to back / no dabs.
    Ouch! Nice ride, ask.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho View Post

You could be the first… no, wait a minute… I think Ancient Rascal ONLY rides SS.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast