Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbg33k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    371

    27.5 Tire Recomendations for Sacramento Area Riding

    I tried posting this in the 650B forum and got nothing, so I'm giving it a shot here.

    I'm building my first set of 27.5 wheels and I need to choose a tire. I live Sacramento and ride a lot of Auburn, Rockville, & Salmon Falls. My go to tire has been the Kenda Nevegal for years now. I was thinking I'd like to try something that will hook up just as good but be a little faster. Any suggestions? I'd like the width to be 2.2 - 2.35 and preferably UST.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mestapho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,653

    27.5 Tire Recomendations for Sacramento Area Riding

    Depends on your style of riding and what you prefer from your tires.

    I love my current setup of 2.3 HR2 front and 2.2 Ardent rear.

    Not the fastest rolling or lightest, but I favor durability, cornering, and braking.

    My friends generally ride lighter faster rolling rubber in the same areas. Lots of Ikon/Racing Ralph type tires.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbg33k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    371
    I like the cornering and breaking. I'm a Clydesdale too, so some of the smaller tread patterns that work well for guys that are 170 don't work well for 260. It's hard not to keep buying Nevegals however the last tires that I tried rolled so much faster it made climbing my fat ass up Clementine a lot easier. However the trade off was I couldn't come down the hill as fast as I normally do. I was definitely out riding the tires ability on the downhill.

  4. #4
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,535
    Wolverine 2.2 rr/Vigilante 2.3 frt maybe. Or if you still want Kenda, Honey Badger rr/2.35 Nevegal frt, The Maxxis Ardent/HR setup above sounds good too!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,742
    I'm riding a Butcher front/Ardent 2.25 rear right now and love it. The Purgatory also makes a good front tire and the Ground Control makes a good rear. The Purgatory drags BAD as a rear though, climbing sucks with it.

    I'm also a clyde @ 240.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbg33k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    371
    Oddly enough I've never put two different tires on my bike. Can someone explain the thought process of why the sizes will be different and what the intent is with the two different tread patterns?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,742
    Traction for braking and turning is more determined by the front and less rolling resistance is felt. Rolling resistance is more felt in the rear and the rear wears out more. You can get away with a chunky front without feeling it as much as if it were in the rear.

    In my experience you're better suited with a slightly smaller or less aggressive rear tire with a harder compound so you can climb with less resistance and have a tire that lasts longer.

    I've ran a local loop dozens of times and my first time I ran a lighter duty tire in the rear I beat my otherwise best time by five minutes, on a loop that takes 90 minutes or so.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbg33k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    371
    Wow, that's a huge difference! I'll have to give it a shot. At this point anything to help me get up the hill faster and less painful would be great. However, at the end of the day I'm ok with sucking on the climbs if I have a good setup for going down. I don't think any tire will ever get me to enjoy climbing.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,742
    Ardent 2.25 is a great rear tire for auburn.

    The arrow shaped trade provides low rolling resistance but bites like a barbed arrow being pulled out when you hit the brakes (when the arrow shape is given braking force, the back side of the arrow shape digs in).

    I've heard people complain about them as a front tire, which I can't comment on but it's good as a rear

  10. #10
    Ultra Ventanaphile
    Reputation: Ciclistagonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    3,132
    I have been happy with NeoMoto's 2.35 front and rear. I too love Nevegals and am a clyde as well, the NeoMoto's aren't as surefooted as the Nev's but close to it and roll much faster.
    Also you could go with Nev's front and Wolverines rear which is good setup like Alias is talking about. I posted earlier in the Good tires for GBay thread, you should read that one too, lots of good info there that is 650 related.
    -Aaron G.

    "Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skyno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Ardent 2.25 is a great rear tire for auburn.

    The arrow shaped trade provides low rolling resistance but bites like a barbed arrow being pulled out when you hit the brakes (when the arrow shape is given braking force, the back side of the arrow shape digs in).

    I've heard people complain about them as a front tire, which I can't comment on but it's good as a rear
    I ran Ardent 2.25 R / 2.4 F for a quite a while - as you said, it was great as a rear tire but washed out too easily as a front tire especially in dry conditions - I like Hans Dampf on the front and Ardent or Conti Mtn. King rear

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skyno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Wolverine 2.2 rr/Vigilante 2.3 frt maybe. Or if you still want Kenda, Honey Badger rr/2.35 Nevegal frt, The Maxxis Ardent/HR setup above sounds good too!
    Do Wolverines hold up ok in the rear? I was reluctant to give WTB another shot when I completely shredded through a Bronson in the rear in about 10-12 rides

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,742
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    I ran Ardent 2.25 R / 2.4 F for a quite a while - as you said, it was great as a rear tire but washed out too easily as a front tire especially in dry conditions - I like Hans Dampf on the front and Ardent or Conti Mtn. King rear
    I went on a little tire buying spree and I'm excited to try them all eventually. I have the following on hand:

    Butcher 29x2.3 (current front)
    Purgatory 29x2.3
    Ground Control 29x2.3
    Hans Dampf 29x2.35
    High Roller II 29x2.3
    High Roller II 3C 29x2.3
    Ardent 29x2.25 (current rear)

    I've had some time on the Purg and Ground Control, but the HRII's and Hans Dampf are still in the packaging.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skyno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    I went on a little tire buying spree and I'm excited to try them all eventually. I have the following on hand:

    Butcher 29x2.3 (current front)
    Purgatory 29x2.3
    Ground Control 29x2.3
    Hans Dampf 29x2.35
    High Roller II 29x2.3
    High Roller II 3C 29x2.3
    Ardent 29x2.25 (current rear)

    I've had some time on the Purg and Ground Control, but the HRII's and Hans Dampf are still in the packaging.
    Wow - either you have a hookup or you have put a small fortune in tires!

    I would be very careful the GC & only run it on smooth trails - the sidewalls tear if you look at them funny - & HRs are amazing going down, but man do you feel them on the way up!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ryanxj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Do Wolverines hold up ok in the rear? I was reluctant to give WTB another shot when I completely shredded through a Bronson in the rear in about 10-12 rides
    Why blame the mfg for your questionable actions? Or were there defects in your tire? While a dual compound tire, the Bronson is uber soft of the side lugs, and said lugs are not supported very well given their durometer. To expect anything other than a short life span with one of those out back is undoubtedly going to leave you disappointed...

    I've gone thru a couple wolverines in the rear and thought they lasted decently, especially given the gravity fed riding i tend to pursue, but since they don't have a lot of tread depth and meat, I would bet results can vary quite a bit between riders/conditions. I will say that I thought they did continue to perform well in softer conditions even at half life...

  16. #16
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,535
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Do Wolverines hold up ok in the rear? I was reluctant to give WTB another shot when I completely shredded through a Bronson in the rear in about 10-12 rides
    Yeah not too many people like them up front, but in my experience Wolvs hold up way better than the Bronson which has a softer compound on the outer knobs. Which some say up front "give out" or "roll over" unexpectantly (more so on hardpack I would say) unlike most of the WTB tires which are usually pretty predictable. I'm going to give the Vigilante up front(whenever I get a 650 fork that is....)and Wolv in back a try.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skyno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanxj View Post
    Why blame the mfg for your questionable actions? Or were there defects in your tire? While a dual compound tire, the Bronson is uber soft of the side lugs, and said lugs are not supported very well given their durometer. To expect anything other than a short life span with one of those out back is undoubtedly going to leave you disappointed...
    You're right, I should have have just bought the tires and mounted them on my wall instead of my bike - mounting a tire on my bike and riding them on the trail is a bit of a questionable action - I should write WTB a letter of apology for riding that tire.

    I don't know if there were defects in my tires - nothing obvious - but I do know that my tires were bald after a dozen or so rides. If they are made of uber-soft material that should not be used on the rear tire on relatively tame bay area trails with a 150 lb. rider, then they should tell you this. You may have knowledge about the capabilities of these tires that the rest of us don't, but how would the average consumer know this?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skyno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Yeah not too many people like them up front, but in my experience Wolvs hold up way better than the Bronson which has a softer compound on the outer knobs. Which some say up front "give out" or "roll over" unexpectantly (more so on hardpack I would say) unlike most of the WTB tires which are usually pretty predictable. I'm going to give the Vigilante up front(whenever I get a 650 fork that is....)and Wolv in back a try.
    Thanks!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,742
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Wow - either you have a hookup or you have put a small fortune in tires!

    I would be very careful the GC & only run it on smooth trails - the sidewalls tear if you look at them funny - & HRs are amazing going down, but man do you feel them on the way up!
    I've used the GC a bit and it's ok, better than the X-King it replaced (that got binned for being so bad). No tears but only 100 miles on it or so... the Ardent replaced it and hasn't come off since.

    I bought the HRII's as a Downieville combo. I would run one up front for Auburn and the surrounding areas but probably put the Ardent out back. I had a Purgatory in the rear and it DRAGGED going up the hills and I hated it, up front it was fine though.

  20. #20
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,392
    Semi-knobby for Fair Oaks.
    Skinny slicks for Central and Midtown
    2.7 DH casings for N. Sac and Arden Arcade
    4.0 fats for Elk Grove
    Skinny knobby for Rancho Cordova
    Something in an enduro-ish 2.3 for West Sac
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  21. #21
    orthonormal
    Reputation: andy f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,041
    I have a few rides now on the Michelin Wild Rock'r2 Advanced (MagiX front, GumX rear) and just have to say: Best tire ever. Totally worth the weight and they actually roll pretty well (better than a Nevegal despite its 300g weight advantage). I just hope they hold up better than Schwalbe's Trailstar/Pacestar compound.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,742
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    I have a few rides now on the Michelin Wild Rock'r2 Advanced (MagiX front, GumX rear) and just have to say: Best tire ever. Totally worth the weight and they actually roll pretty well (better than a Nevegal despite its 300g weight advantage). I just hope they hold up better than Schwalbe's Trailstar/Pacestar compound.
    I'm interested in these but it doesn't look like a lot of places sell them. The one place I've found them charges $80 for the compound recommended for a front tire.

    I'm not cheap ass but that's absurd for a bicycle tire... even Schwalbe's can be found cheap. I got my Hans Dampf Evo Snakeskin (the highest end one that exists) for $52 shipped.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    852
    I'm a big rider and had 2.5 Minion front and Spesh Butcher 2.35 rear (26er)with no problems. Yeah they probably aren't the best for climbing but I enjoy the downhill so it is worth the struggle. For me the Butcher did really well at Rockville on the wet/slick rocks....also ride Auburn, Granite Bay and hit Downieville with the same setup

  24. #24
    orthonormal
    Reputation: andy f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    I'm interested in these but it doesn't look like a lot of places sell them. The one place I've found them charges $80 for the compound recommended for a front tire.

    I'm not cheap ass but that's absurd for a bicycle tire... even Schwalbe's can be found cheap. I got my Hans Dampf Evo Snakeskin (the highest end one that exists) for $52 shipped.
    Best price I found was Universal Cycles. With the VIP15 coupon code (purchases over $300), it comes to $67.15 for the front and $51 for the rear. The VIP10 code works for $100-$300 purchases.

    The 26" version is pretty reasonable on Chain Reaction's site. I'm hoping that by the time I wear this set out, the 27.5" version will have come down in price.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

  25. #25
    Feral Roadie
    Reputation: bbense's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    729
    I like the Vee Trail Taker as a front tire a lot. It's not exactly fast or light, but on a wide rim it rolls pretty well and inspires a lot of confidence in my riding.

    Review: Vee Rubber Trail Taker 650B Tires | Mountain Bike Review

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Tire Advice for Sacramento Area
    By mtbg33k in forum 27.5 - 650b
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-17-2014, 05:59 PM
  2. Sacramento Area riding
    By Jojo6800 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-21-2013, 02:13 PM
  3. OT: Framebuilder in the Sacramento area
    By mtbg33k in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2012, 12:25 AM
  4. OT: Bay Area living vs. Sacramento
    By bullit71 in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 01-30-2012, 11:50 AM
  5. Race tire Recomendations, El Paso area
    By thrasher_s in forum Texas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-17-2011, 01:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •