mtbr member
    Dec 2005

27.5 riders in Auburn

I have a case of upgraditis and wanted to get some feedback from people who have switched to a 27.5. A couple of monthes ago I demoed a Norco Ranger Killer B on Flood/Upperstage and it was a blast. Might have been the larger wheels and the 160mm fork as I ride a Blur Lt With 140mm fork. I like to bunny hop things, hit small jumps, and have fun while riding. No hucking. Were the differences subtle between the two wheel sizes when riding fhdl, manzanita, stonewall, and all the regular goods you find in Auburn?

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Lieb View Post
    I have a case of upgraditis and wanted to get some feedback from people who have switched to a 27.5. A couple of monthes ago I demoed a Norco Ranger Killer B on Flood/Upperstage and it was a blast. Might have been the larger wheels and the 160mm fork as I ride a Blur Lt With 140mm fork. I like to bunny hop things, hit small jumps, and have fun while riding. No hucking. Were the differences subtle between the two wheel sizes when riding fhdl, manzanita, stonewall, and all the regular goods you find in Auburn?
    Hi Mr. Lieb,

Like you I demoed the Norco Range Killer B on the same trails and enjoyed it immensely. However, I've had a 650b front wheel on my 2007 Specialized Enduro SL Pro since early 2011. On my bike, or the Norco, I find the advantages to be pretty dramatic. Here is what I wrote about adding the 650b wheel to my bike a little over 2 years ago:

Stop Talking…Close the Forum…Keep the Secret!
    Originally Posted by michaelsnead

Hey Folks,

Here is my shopping list:

ZTR Flow 650b - 32 Hole Black - NEW $93.00
    Stan's 35mm Valve Stem With Rim $4.00
    Pacenti Neo-Moto 650b x 2.3 Tire $49.27
    DT Swiss 240s Front 20mm Thru Axle $188.48
    Magura Storm SL Rotor $29.95
    Shipping $18.00
    Spokes $32.00
    Wheel Build $40.00
    $454.70

Well I finally got this wheel built and rode it the last three days. Those rides included playing on my home grown bike park, a tour of the local XC loop and a classic AM ride featuring a long climb followed by a fast DH run back to the car.

Based on the benefits I enjoyed on those rides I’m only kidding a little bit about the title of the thread. I’d really like to keep this secret weapon from the hands of my buddies. I want them to think I’ve suddenly acquired some skills instead of having found a technological breakthrough.

Back in 2005 I said this about the Gravity Dropper adjustable seat post in a review I posted on this site. At that time, to my knowledge, they were the only current manufacturer of a product like this:

“It is not often that you can say that you were there and participated when a sport experiences a revolutionary jump due to a change in the equipment design or material. It is always a moment when after it happens you wonder why it didn’t happen before the moment it did. If you skied when shaped skis came out or kayaked when planning hulls were introduced you know exactly what I mean. I believe that, with this product, mountain biking is about to go through a similar experience to both of those sports. Shaped skis and planning hulls dominate their respective sports and I believe that it won’t be long before GravityDropper has that same position in the world of mountain biking. The benefits that the product brings to the rider are such that it warrants that level of acceptance. To poorly paraphrase Warren Miller you want to buy one of these now because if you wait you’ll only be a year older when you do.”

Now, there are 8-10 companies competing with Gravity Dropper and adjustable seat posts are one of the hottest products in the mountain bike world.

After what I just experienced I’m seeing the introduction of a 650B front wheel to a traditional 26 inch mountain bike to be another revolutionary jump similar to the ones I described above!

Therefore I propose we keep this secret between us….except for a few friends!

Because the older I get the more advantages I need!!

My sincere thanks to all of you who supplied the information and support I needed to play in this sandbox!!!

Take care, have fun, be safe!!!!

I wish you the best of luck in your search for a new ride,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Michael,

Thanks for sharing the excellent write up.

With a limited budget right now, one idea is to pick up an Intense Carbine Sl frame (26) and swap my parts over or wait a while for a new aluminum 27.5 with decent parts, or wait until my 5 year old is out of college and buy a carbine 27.5.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Michael,

Thanks for sharing the excellent write up.

With a limited budget right now, one idea is to pick up an Intense Carbine Sl frame (26) and swap my parts over or wait a while for a new aluminum 27.5 with decent parts, or wait until my 5 year old is out of college and buy a carbine 27.5.
    Hey Mr. Lieb,

A buddy of mine is riding the 27.5 carbon Intense Carbine and loves it! So if you can wrangle one of those I'm pretty sure you will enjoy it.

Good luck finding a new bike that works for you!

Take care,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    You will enjoy those trails on a 650B.............been doing since 2010. No problems with that switchback going down Manzanita.