Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

24 Hours of Whiskeytown 10/6&7, Whiskeytown Nine to Five 10/6

24 Hrs. of Whiskeytonw / Whiskeytown Nine to Five

If you're looking for a fun, low-key endurance event on a super-fun course, consider the 24 Hours of Whiskeytown or the Whiskeytown Nine to Five.

This is a long-time favorite event among NorCal endurance racers. Everything about is is cool---the course, the venue, the people! If you've never done this one you owe it to yourself to come out and find out why some racers do it year after year.

COURSE: The trail system within the Whiskeytown Lake National Recreation Area is FANTASTIC! Most of the singletrack trails were dug by hand during the 1850's Gold Rush era. Few places in the world have this much flowing singletrack. Racers have loved our course for years---some have described as "the best parts of the Lemurain" ---and this year's course will be even better! Instead of taking the Shasta Mine Trail the course will stay on the Clear Creek Canal Trail, which is longer, twistier and more fun! We haven't used this trail before because of one nasty section affectionately known as "The Ditch of Death," but that section has been reworked and is now completely ridable. The course will be about 8.5 miles long with about 1450' of climbing.
    CLICK HERE FOR THE COURSE MAP
    VENUE: You'll love it, the people. The venue is the NEED Camp, a cute facility right on Clear Creek. with nice lawn pit area, real bathrooms AND showers, paved parking and and bunk houses that you and your crew can rent for Friday and/or Saturday night.
    SCHEDULE: 8 Hour is 9am to 5pm on Saturday, Oct. 6
    The 24 Hours is 9:00am Saturday Oct. 6 to 9:00am Sunday, Oct. 7
    TEAM / SOLO CATEGORIES: 1)Beginner 2)Sport 3)Expert 4)Pro 5)Male Jr(age17&<) 6)Master (age 40+) 7)Super Master (age 50+) 8)Super Duper Master (age 60+)
    9)Women Jr.(age 17& under 10) Women Beginner 11) Women Sport 12) Women Expert/Pro
    13) Mixed (at least one woman) 14)Clydesdale (each rider 200lb+) 15)Tandem (2 entries) 16)Unicycle 17) Singlespeed 18)Singlespeed Women NOTE: Category is determined by the highest ranked team member: For instance, a 4-rider team with only 1 expert will still race in the expert category. For age categories (Jr., Master, etc.) all team members must be within that age category.

START / FINISH: The start/finish is in the NEED Camp . ONLY LAPS COMPLETED by 5pm for the 8hour or 9:00am for the 24 Hour will be counted.

CABINS: Rather not camp? We've reserved a block of bunkhouses right at the race venue. They sleep 8, there's a central bathroom and shower-house, all for only $50 per night for the whole bunkhouse. The course passes right by the bunk-houses---so you may pit out of your bunk-house if you want. Available Friday and Saturday night. Reserve early, there's a limited number of cabins. To avoid double booking cabins they will only be available on-line. Reserve your cabin when you register on-line to race.
    8 HOUR ENTRY FEES: $55 per rider, Juniors (age 17 & under) $45 Race day entry is $15 extra.
    24 HOUR ENTRY FEES: $100 per rider, Juniors (age 17 & under) $90 Race day entry is $15 extra.

This event is a benefit for the Shasta County Search & Rescue Team. Over the years Team Bigfoot's Whiskeytown events have raised over $3700 for the team.

WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO DO AT WHISKEYTOWN? The Whiskeytown Lake National Recreation Area is a real treasure. There's the lake of course--great for swimming, sunning, boating, fishing, etc. There are endless hiking trails, many of them lead to incredible water falls. Stop by the visitors center for details or visit the website: Whiskeytown National Recreational Area - Whiskeytown National Recreation Area

"Yeah, Humboldt County is way the %#@* up there, but worth it!"

jms
    mtbr member

It's My Favorite

I'll be there!

It's my FAVORITE course in the series.... I know, I say that about all of them! I'll be there!

Good stuff! Lot's of great rolling singletrack, with some toothsome techy bits you can carry a lot of speed through if your aim is good and your sidewalls are slightly armored. It's a really, really fun lap!

I used the hardtail two years ago and by the start of my eighth lap, my saddle was getting to be a bit of a suppository, I'll definitely be on the RX29 this go round.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 24 Hours of Whiskeytown 10/6&amp;7, Whiskeytown Nine to Five 10/6-mtbrjasonh.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Is there camping available on site there - I'm a little confused by the site...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robeberth1970 View Post
    Is there camping available on site there - I'm a little confused by the site...
    24 Hour racers may camp within the venue on Saturday night only.There are bunkhouses to rent right at the venue for Friday and Saturday. Free camping for Friday and Saturday night is a half mail from the main venue at "Horse Camp" and the course passes right through the campground near the completion of your lap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Great, thanks.

mtbr member
    Bumpity bump.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 24 Hours of Whiskeytown 10/6&amp;7, Whiskeytown Nine to Five 10/6-mtbrricho.jpg  

Vegan Athlete
    I'll be there for the 9 to 5.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" my Vegan Athlete Facebook page.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vuduvgn View Post
    I'll be there for the 9 to 5.

We'll go slaughter some soy.

mtbr member
    I'm in for the 9-5 . Really looking forward to this one

Dropshot Champ!
    will this exact course be used for the HSU race?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    will this exact course be used for the HSU race?
    Yup, so it'll be all buffed in for the collegiate racers.

Dropshot Champ!
    perfect, thank you

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    In for coed 3 person 24hr team.....lots of fun singletrack on this one....totally worth the drive

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbne1 View Post
    In for coed 3 person 24hr team.....lots of fun singletrack on this one....totally worth the drive
    And breakfast burritos, don't forget the breakfast burritos!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    And breakfast burritos, don't forget the breakfast burritos!
    Those breakfast burritos are the icing on the cake so to speak......they are the bomb

mtbr member
    I'm eyeballing the 9-5 super duper masters

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I was planning to come up to this area this coming week on the 3rd and 4th. W-Th
    I am, however a bit of a noob, and I'm now worried about getting run over by all you experts!
    I guess a lot of guys show up early in the week to practice? Should I go to Boggs instead?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bammers View Post
    I was planning to come up to this area this coming week on the 3rd and 4th. W-Th
    I am, however a bit of a noob, and I'm now worried about getting run over by all you experts!
    I guess a lot of guys show up early in the week to practice? Should I go to Boggs instead?
    Come out, the course is great! You'll likely see no or few riders on W-Th., and besides, endurance racers are a very polite bunch. We're doing our course marking on Wednesday so if you'd like to join me for a guided lap call me at (707) 845-309Five.

We're doing a night lap of the course on Thursday with the Redding Mountain Bike Club at 6:30pm, meeting at the gate to NEED Camp. Bring lights of course.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Well, how can I pass up hospitality like that? and breakfast burritos.

What time were you going out Wednesday? I think I may have to extend my plans to catch the Thu nite ride!

Could you recommend a place to lodge for a nite or 2?

edit - Are those bunkhouses avail during the week? That would be perfect for me (no wife with me, lol)
    Last edited by Bammers; 10-01-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: forgot to add

mtbr member
    Well, how can I pass up hospitality like that? and breakfast burritos.

What time were you going out Wednesday? I think I may have to extend my plans to catch the Thu nite ride!

Could you recommend a place to lodge for a nite or 2?

edit - Are those bunkhouses avail during the week? That would be perfect for me (no wife with me, lol)
    The motels around downtown can be sketchy...lots of "short-term stays" if you get my drift. The nicer affordable places are on Hilltop Rd. There's a Super-8 and other such. The bunkhouses are only available for the event on Friday and Saturday.

Bigfoot

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks! So what time Wednesday do you think?

mtbr member
    Thanks! So what time Wednesday do you think?
    Call me. My internet access is sporadic.

mtbr member
    The course is marked. The Redding Mountain Bike Club is doing a night ride on the course this evening. Meet at the NEED Camp gate at 6:30.

http://www.teambigfoot.net/24HofWT2012.htmm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for inviting me up Vic!

Vic does a great job marking the trails and grooming as well. It should be perfect conditions for this weekend as it has cooled down a lot the last couple of days.

I can't wait to go back...

Here's a couple of shots of the trail, and Vic hard at work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast