Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 24 hoa thread

Paper or plastic?

24 hoa thread

Well, I finally did it. I'm beat, sun burnt and tired, but damn happy I did it. For our first appearance, Rag Tag Racing finished 9 out of 30 in the corporate team category despite a few f-ups and one mechanical.

It was pretty cool to see half the norcal board at fort Ord.

Pics should show up soon.

And a big thank you to Becky for her masseuse skills and putting up with volunteering at 5:30am on Sunday.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Trail Goddess

Now I know.

What an experience!!

Ogre took me along for his pre-ride. Having never ridden there, I was shocked at how much fun the trails are. He would give me hints as to what to expect as we reached it. Hurl Hill 3 words, "OH MY GOD". The Grind kicked my butt as expected, but the rest was great fun and if it wasn't for the Grind, I'd love to ride these trails more often. Now I can empathize with the people would rode the course 4, 5, 11+ times.

I can't wait to hear everyone's race stories, though most are probably down for the count trying to recover. Jim, John, Erich, Mike, Kyle and Dennis thanks for letting me help with the team. You guys did awesome!!

Fiona
    I've become one of those people, you know the ones.

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    Well, I finally did it. I'm beat, sun burnt and tired, but damn happy I did it. For our first appearance, Rag Tag Racing finished 9 out of 30 in the corporate team category despite a few f-ups and one mechanical.

And a big thank you to Becky for her masseuse skills and putting up with volunteering at 5:30am on Sunday.
    You all RAWK!!!
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

mtbr member
    I was wondering when this thread would show up. Sounds like you had a good time, but I would probably bet you drank less beer than anticipated.

Congrats on the nice finish.
    Last edited by EBrider; 05-14-2006 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EBrider
    I would probably bet you drank less beer than anticipated.

some of us exceeded expectations

Rag Tag did great despite some technical difficulty

Zorg put together a great team. Almost everyone did better than 1 hour laps.

I have huge amounts of respect for everyone who rode more laps than me and especially Plim, Chum and the rest of their team for turning down repeated offers of beer and scotch.

That was a blast

enter and win

where's all the pictures?

I'm finally coherent enough to place one thought after another with relative clarity. That was a pretty fun time. Glad you all enjoyed all my firewood while I slept What is a cool memory from my volunteer stint is the way Weir was up outta the saddle each & every lap to hammer into the Long Road Home. Epic! No wonder those guys ripped out what, 23 laps? Unbelievable. I'm soooo proud of Rag Tag's finish! Way to go, guys! Good job! It was super fun hanging out with you all. Post pics, Rafael! bb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbecky
    What is a cool memory from my volunteer stint is the way Weir was up outta the saddle each & every lap to hammer into the Long Road Home. Epic! No wonder those guys ripped out what, 23 laps? Unbelievable.
    Mental typo Becky... while 23 laps might seem unbelievable for RagTag Racing (go team! we rocked!), the guys from WTB hammered out 31 laps

I don't have any photos, but I'm sure people will be getting them online soon. Thanks to Zorg for organizing things and to everyone else for everything else. And especially to Becky, who spent her Mother's day morning volunteering at a checkpoint on our behalf!

-Dave

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by velocipus
    I have huge amounts of respect for everyone who rode more laps than me and especially Plim, Chum and the rest of their team for turning down repeated offers of beer and scotch.

That was a blast
    WEAK!!

I never got to the scotch, but the post lap drink of Powerbar Recovery mix and Vodka went well at 1AM..

I had a great time, achieved my goal with first lap, had a blast riding under the (almost) full moon, and somehow phsyched myself up for the AM lap. Great teamates! Awsome time.

Everything went almost as planned expect for the and a snake moment when I got up around 5AM not really wanting to ride and Velocipous tells me if Brent and I hammer out good laps, we can get into the top 10. It all worked out well, but my legs weren't happy with me yesterday and still arent.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    WEAK!!

I never got to the scotch, but the post lap drink of Powerbar Recovery mix and Vodka went well at 1AM..

I had a great time, achieved my goal with first lap, had a blast riding under the (almost) full moon, and somehow phsyched myself up for the AM lap. Great teamates! Awsome time.

Everything went almost as planned expect for the and a snake moment when I got up around 5AM not really wanting to ride and Velocipous tells me if Brent and I hammer out good laps, we can get into the top 10. It all worked out well, but my legs weren't happy with me yesterday and still arent.
    Never knew how good scotch tastes at 8am.
    Taunting Chum, Plim and others with beer throughout the race was quite enjoyable too!! Hopefully, some pics of the Hamana camp will show up online. They put on quite a show.

Grrrah, when will you upload your pics?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Commute Ugh

Boy the ride in to work was rough today. I just took it easy but Ugh. It's definitely going to take a couple of days to recover from this one.

I was on the 5 man Briones Mafia team, a great group. We finished 12th or so in a field of 22. It's funny how that none of us claimed to care how we finished but we all checked out the hourly postings to see how we ranked at least a couple times. "We're up to ninth now by ten minutes..." etc. Personally the only one I was competing with was myself, my prior times and just pushing myself as hard as possible. As far as that went I'm pretty happy with how I competed versus last year. My only self disappointment was in that I wanted to run 6 laps this year but when the opportunity came up I really didn't want to get that final lap in. Some of that was due to timing but some was just that 53 miles at race pace over a 24 hour period is pretty damn close to my personal limit.

Anyhow. This has definitely made me rethink my thoughts of running the 12 hours at Weaverville.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Great Time, Great Weather, Great Race!

Camping inbetween the Briones Mafia and Rag Tag was a good idea...turning down beers from velocipus was tricky though

Our team was Chuck's Beard - with me (CHUM), Whugmit, Plim, Brett and Supa.

Whugmit volunteers to be the lead - crazy SOB likes to run...his first lap about 1:04 (he's quick too). This is also his first 24HOA. I ride in second and pull off a very discombobulated 1:05 - my "zen" was off and felt like I was riding in pinball machine. 0gre passes me up the grind from about 8 minutes behind (that jive turkey). Plim's up at third and rips a 1:00 He's also quick (and always cheerful for some reason ).

Brett's first run grabbed around 1:10 (this is also his first 24HOA). His whole race turned out really well. Heck, Brett even crashed so hard on Ewok he forgot where he crashed for 2 laps (he's OK ). Supa bettered his last years times by quite a bit - even his nite lap was much faster even though he had to walk out of the grind 'cause his light prematurely croaked (he was not so happy about that).

I think we ended up somewhere aroud the 19 out of 22 mark (not DFL thank you) and had a BLAST. Really good to hang out with mtnBecky, 8-Track, velocipus, zorg, K-Max (the show-off had a 55 minute "hangover" lap on a SS ), 0gre, Fiona, grrrrah, Pimpbot, imjps, jrm, CrAShMasTer, CruzSS, and a mess of other people.

Looking forward to it again next year

PS - also ran into UncleBri as he was finishing up his 8 hour solo
    Last edited by CHUM; 05-15-2006 at 11:37 AM.
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

jrm
    mtbr member

talk about EPIC...

[
    First and foremost thanks to the rest of the briones mafia team. We had a good team and were pretty well organized. We didnt have any logistic or mechanical problems over the course of the race so I guess the 24 HOA spirits were on our side. Not sure if we finished 12 or 11th but either way we finished mid pack and had FUN doing so. Not bad for a bunch of guys that were 7 points away from competing in the 200+ cumulative age catagory (older guy bracket). Thanks go out to team ragtag and team chucks beard for the beer, scotch, sausages and great conversation & encouragement.

High points...The hamana party and briones mafia foos ball tourney friday nite. Finally feeling the fun half way through my 2nd lap. Everyone on the team contributing encouragement along the way. Getting mr. 5 team-30 riders to turn off his generator saturday nite. Cramping on the grind..ouch. The food...yum. Drawing the predawn lap. and having my light die on hurl. fearing that the officials were going to pull me off the course at the top of hurl..but they didnt. Riding the rest of the lap with no artifical light..it was the best. I never knew what it was like to sip scotch @ 6:30 in the morning.

Thanks everyone you guys made this week the EPIC that it was. The WORST part of the weekend was...driving home. See ya

Snowjnky McDreamy
    It was definitely worth it though
    Who knew that torturing yourself could be so much fun
    I was on team Sleep Deprived we got 7th in the five man team group. We really only had 4 the for most of the race. Our fifth man hurt himself on his third lap. We had a second team Clusterflies who place 5th in the four man team. It came down to the very last lap they were 1 min. behind the 4th place team. Damn. Considering that Sleep deprived were all rookies and Clusterflies placed 19th last year we were all happy with our results. Here is our pic on the podium
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Snowjnky McDreamy

I Hurt

I was on team Sleep Deprived we got 7th in the five man team group. We really only had 4 the for most of the race. Our fifth man hurt himself on his third lap. We had a second team Clusterflies who place 5th in the four man team. It came down to the very last lap they were 1 min. behind the 4th place team. Damn. Considering that Sleep deprived were all rookies and Clusterflies placed 19th last year we were all happy with our results. Here is our pic on the podium
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

jrm
    mtbr member

Nice job..

Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky

congrats..

Head First
    That was a fun race, my bum hurts now. On my fourth lap I was walking up hurl hill and was passed by a single speeder who rode all the way up, that's un-natural.

Weak vendor turnout though, besides that everyone was cool and I stayed upright, although just barely.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    oh yeah ....thanks to Hamana for everything. you guys put on a show. very nice, very fun.
    And Congrats to everybody who was at 24 HOA and either raced, volunteered, or was there just to encourage.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    that was the most and least fun i've ever had on a bicycle. here's some of the things i loved the most: the epic descents at night time underneath the full moon, watching the sunset during a lap, then watching the sunrise during another lap, running with clip in shoes, and the encouragement of everyone there. it's amazing what you think you're physically capable of doing on a bike. then the mental aspect takes over and you can accomplish so much more. im pretty sure i might have blacked out at the top of the grind on my last lap. hahaha

curtis

mtbr member
    Grrrah, when will you upload your pics?
    I forgot my camera today so I will try to get them up tomorrow. (dont have a computer at home)

Safety First
    You were looking good buddy... You passed my like I was a weak, overworked, slow-guy (if the shoe fits...)

Good to see you and your dad out there. Your dad was the only other TrailHead Jersey out there now that you've hit the big time!

Did you roll that sub 45 minute lap at night? What place did you finish?

UB.

Safety First
    Yeah buddy. Good seeing you. Way to hammer.

UB.

Safety First
    This was my first attempt at an ultra-endurance race. I rode the California Death Ride last year, but that was not a real race. Here is how it went.

The week's preparation went well. I rode and rested with a good plan, and didn't over or under do it. My bike had just been in the shop for $500 tune up including new bearings in the hub and BB, new cables, brake pads, rotors, and ostensibly a full set of adjustments. So the bike was running good, and I had put a few rides on it since the tune up so there shouldn't be any surprises.

For the 8 hour Solo attempt, I planned on having enough food for 9 laps, and a plan for re-fueling and resting. The plan was for the first 4 laps to stop and get a fresh bottle, wipe my face with a wet towel I will have laid out, and lube if needed. On lap 4, which I was dreaming would be half way, I would stop, eat the PP&J and a Bully, lube, wash and go. The face wash seems silly, but I can really tell that when I don't have a layer of dirt on my face, I don't overheat as quickly. My main source of food would be concentrated Perpetum, 3 scoops in a large goo flask. And my drink would be Power Bar Endurance formula. I also had some backup Hammer Gel, and other stuff.

First Lap: At the starting line, I saw Curtis Beavers and his dad. Curtis was on the WTB Team and he was the first out. That kid looks strong. I also saw John Navarro who couldn't wait for the dam race to start. Jason too was there on a 5-man, and looked like he was going to have some fun.

The run was no problem, I even saw someone from a Wednesday night hill climb and took up a little conversation to stay aerobic. I jumped on the bike and headed through the dusty start to the race. I tried to keep a good pace, but it is very hard to keep it mellow when there are so many other people hammering. Perhaps I went a little too hard if anything, but not too bad.

At the bottom of Hurl Hill, or nearby, as I was just clicking the rear into the 34, the chain pops off into the spokes. I stay calm. I didn't curse my bad luck, I just fixed it as fast as I could without bending everything else, and rode on. On the little climbs I was feeling squashed and uncomfortable, but OK, it's just nerves. I see Jason every now and then -- it's good to have someone to talk with.

We start to climb out, I feel like my PE is much higher than my pace -- and the bottom front of my right knee hurts??? My back is also hurting in a strange place. It normally locks up, but not so soon. Hmmm. I look down at my seat post and see that over the first 8 miles of the course that my seat post has slipped down about 3 whatevers from 9.5 to 12.5. I say later to Jason and I stop and fix it. Wow two stops in the first lap. Stay calm. I raise my seatpost back up, but the damage is done. People are passing me, alot of peopIe. I try a quick stretch on my quads to fix my knee, but it was going to be a problem the rest of the day. Not to mention my back.

I roll in, get a new bottle, the first bottle is about half gone, but the new ones are ice cold.

Lap Two:
    At the start of lap two I pass Kevin Goodman going the wrong way on the course, WTF? Oh well, then he is behind me and says he lost his bottle. Cool, Kevin is hear and we can work together for a while. A good plan until the chain pops off again, and it takes several minutes now to fix it. Kevin passes me. Stay calm.

I finish lap two, stop and get a new bottle, and head out again. Notice that I've already forgot about the nice wet towels that I had ready. As I head back on the course I see Kevin sitting in a chair on the side. This is a little motivating and I start working a little harder. I didn't want to see him again. No offense to Kevin, just a friendly rivarly.

Lap Three: Working hard. I did get one last chain suck on this lap, and from then on I shifted like a grandma, and each shift downward was accompanied by a little prayer. In the middle of lap three, I guess the 4 man team leaders lap me. It was a lot of fun to be able to watch and participate in a race at the same time. It gave me a little boost. Family Cycling Center looks strong.

On this lap, a new bottle, and some lube. A good idea, but I didn't stop and eat more, I didn't want to loose time.

Lap Four: Oh the pain. Hurl hill hurt hard. I should have stopped and grabbed some more food and took a little break. I think that this lap was my slowest. I didn't have anything in the tank, my knee was pain with each peddle stroke, and I felt like ****. At the merciful end to this lap, I stop and rest, put my head in the shade and let my body temp cool off a little. I eat my PP&J, I drink a bully, wash my face and head out again.

Lap Five: Feeling Good! Yeah, I'm back. Get out of my way. I was feeling really good now. I wasn't hammering like some of the team guys coming around me, but I was climbing stronger and feeling better. I should have did all that on lap 3 instead of 4. I also should have taken some Advil for my knee, but didn't.

After I leave the scoring tent, I see Kevin on this side in street clothes holding a beer...?.. He says he's done and did 6 laps. What? Stop messing with me. He's pulling my very tired leg. He wasn't doing the 8 hour or the 24 hours solo, he was doing the 8 hour 2 person with his wife Jody -- just for fun.

Lap Six: Holding on. Now, I'm still racing, and want to do good. But here is where I could have been a little smarter. I didn't have a computer or even a watch. I didn't know how fast my laps were, I didn't know that if I could just pull this lap in by a few minutes, I could have safely finished that 7th lap. Oh well, this was my first long race, and it was a learning experience. I see CHUM on this lap, and it was nice to have someone to say hi to. I pull in at 7:53, giving me 1:07 to finish the last lap -- but I passed on that, and rolled back to the car. The thought of doing that last lap and having it not count was too intimidating for my state of mind.

Well, that's it. I did it. Learned some things, saw some friends, rode hard, and got the T-shirt. I learned that the 4 man team was much more fun that the solo, and that I will probably not be attempting a 24 hour solo for a long while.

Brian

bike dork extraordinaire
    Thanks for posting the pics, Chris. We look beat, but satisfied!

Now if Pat can just keep his calf together for next year, and we all hit 51-52 minutes on the day laps and 56-57 on the night laps, then we're going top 5 for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I was out there with Faster Than Your Granny again. Overall I had a great weekend; personal best lap time, personal best number of laps, and I'm the only guy from my team who didn't crash at least once (not that I didn't come close a couple of times) . Things got interesting about 5:00 pm Saturday when I was hooking my lights up. Hit the switch for the handlebar light; nothing. Damn, these things were working fine Tuesday. Throw the battery on the charger; 20 minutes later the little green "charged" light comes on. Hook it up again; still nothing. Apparently my bulb took a crap somewhere between Tuesday and Saturday . Fortunately a teammate had a spare light that I could use. Word to the wise though; never assume that a borrowed light has a fully charged battery. On my second night lap my helmet light quit halfway up the Grind. No worries, the bar light is plenty. Just before the top the bar light goes dim for a couple of minutes and then; blackness (well, OK, moonlight). I have never uttered a more heartfelt expletive in my life. I got lucky and had a couple of riders come along just as I hit that last piece of singletrack after the bridge so I had some lights to follow through there.
    My really brilliant moment for the weekend though was when I came in after my fourth lap and said, "Yeah, I can do one more if you guys can give me an hour and 15 minutes to do it in." Damned if they didn't do exactly that. I really love/hate those guys. So there I was at 10:30 or so, crawling along in my granny up the Grind, sweat pouring off me, unable to catch a guy who's WALKING his bike. Somehow I pulled off an hour and 10 lap, rolling under the clock at 10:55 and change. Thanks to everyone who had words of encouragement for me as they passed me on that lap. Thanks also to the guys with the ice cold beer as I came around the infield. That's two years in a row I've been able to finish my last lap with a beer in hand!

Many thanks to the wife also for:
    1. Supporting the whole team in the pit. We couldn't do it without you!!
    2. Pulling over on the side of Highway 68 so I could puke. "Thanks dear, I feel much better now."
    3. Saying with a straight face, "Having a pizza delivered makes a great Mother's Day dinner."

Can't wait 'til next year.
    "I read a Russian novel once," Anderson cut in bleakly. "People with unpronounceable names did nothing for seven hundred and eighty-three pages, after which somebody's aunt died."

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    I was on the 5 man Briones Mafia team, a great group. We finished 12th or so in a field of 22. It's funny how that none of us claimed to care how we finished but we all checked out the hourly postings to see how we ranked at least a couple times. "We're up to ninth now by ten minutes..." etc. Personally the only one I was competing with was myself, my prior times and just pushing myself as hard as possible. As far as that went I'm pretty happy with how I competed versus last year. My only self disappointment was in that I wanted to run 6 laps this year but when the opportunity came up I really didn't want to get that final lap in. Some of that was due to timing but some was just that 53 miles at race pace over a 24 hour period is pretty damn close to my personal limit.
    Nice report. You exhibited two of the unexpected but classic behaviors in 24 hour racing.

- don't care how you finish but keep checking time gaps. That always happens. Often, your team is doing better than expected so the racing motivation kicks in.

- last lap syndrome. Nobody wants to take the open last lap. It's just dreadful looking forward to it. But then, whoever takes it comes back very happy.

francois
    Last edited by francois; 05-15-2006 at 03:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast