mtbr member

2018 XC racing in Norcal -- Where's everyone racing this year?

My girlfriend and I are going to do some XC races this year, so I figured I'd see what everyone recommends and what's been good in the past.

We're new to racing. Probably going to start out in Novice for the first couple and hopefully move to Sport, depending on the race and course. I suppose we'll figure out real quick where we belong.

The first thing I noticed is that there ain't much near Oakland, but it does look like there are some good camping options near some of the more distant races.

The two nearest series races are the Folsom Lake races by TBF, and the CCCX stuff at Fort Ord and Toro Park. I figure that's a good place to start.
    Anyone done 'em?
    Neither are really anything I want to drive to in the morning, so we'll have to figure out where to camp or stay cheap if possible.

We also have our eye on these:

Auburn Epic 4 Stage
    Lemurian Classic
    Old Cabin Classic
    Downieville XC
    The Humbug Hurryup (I've never been to Yreka)
    Sully 100
    Big Sandy Classic (EAST FRESNO WOOO)

We're aiming to keep it on singletrack as much as possible.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm not a big fan of TBF races as the courses aren't very fun. I'm a big fan of the Lemurian, may race that myself this year. SoNoMas is a fun race (if you're into suffering) https://www.bikemonkey.net/sonomas

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scaryfast View Post
    I'm not a big fan of TBF races as the courses aren't very fun. I'm a big fan of the Lemurian, may race that myself this year. SoNoMas is a fun race (if you're into suffering) https://www.bikemonkey.net/sonomas
    They're not going again until 2019, unfortunately.

NedwannaB
    Hopefully Annadel XC will be on again this year. Skyline Park in Napa has reopened now so there's that venue. Also the Wente which replaced Boggs is a good one. Sea Otter Classic although might not be the low(er) key type of venue you're looking for.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    I'm a big fan of Big Sandy. Don't let the "east Fresno" location fool you. It is one of the most scenic, fun grassroots events around. The main descent back to the river (after a tough climb up) is worth the trip to check out at least once.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    SMH, with the fires they went through that completely makes sense. Duhhhh

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, there is not many races close in the Bay Area which has prevented me from racing. Most you have to drive at least hour and half to get to. If there was some within the Bay Area, I would be into them if they were on fun singletrack courses.

I think it is hard for races to get the word out so people know about the races and the schedule.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    CCCX is a good series.

mtbr member
    I don't have any race experience but I've ridden the Old Cabin Classic loop in Wilder Ranch several times and it's definitely a fun track.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    If you haven't raced before, the CCCX or TBF series are good introductions, as the beginner classes are low-key in both and not terribly crowded. Granite Bay (TBF) is a more fun course in my opinion, but both are easy, low-tech courses. CCCX can be (and sometimes is) raced on CX bikes.

Sea Otter is fun but only because it is such a huge experience. Not low-key at all. Some beginners and sport class people regularly get wrecked on the high-speed fire road descent near the start of the race. That part sucks, so I tend to hang back from the crowd on that part and catch up later, but the rest is low-key, fun and easy if less challenging than I would like; main issues are that the best trails are mostly climbed instead of descended, and the crowd. You can end up in a conga line on the singletrack climbs if you aren't fast enough to get ahead.

Downieville is a physically demanding race due to the long and intense climb at the start, but it is an absolute blast. Beginner class is low-key for a first-timer because all the faster riders are ahead of you, and there are no laps so you don't have to pull over to be lapped by the leaders.

Look on the BikeMonkey website; all of their races are fun and well-run. Go to Wente if you can get in. Annadel is a must if they are able to do it this year after the fire. SoNoMas long course is probably my favorite but it won't be held in 2018. They also do good smaller races at Lake Sonoma.

Shasta Lemurian is supposed to be excellent but I haven't made it up there.

If the good old Napa Valley Dirt Classic is ever done again, it is a great race too. They couldn't get their act together last year. Not sure what happened but the race was cancelled.

I started out racing a few years ago and usually race sport class now, mainly because the beginner courses are too short for me. My only gripe about sport class is it tends to attract more weekend warriors and sandbaggers who belong in expert. The sport class is probably the most dangerous because riders tend to be more aggressive and not as smart as the experts. E.g., if some asshat is going to make a dangerous pass or complain about being behind you then slow down after he gets in front of you, it will be so he can move from 10th to 9th position in sport class. If I ever find time to train I will move up to expert as it is safer and more fun with those guys who know what they are doing.

I spend the first 44 years of my life as a non-athletic increasingly obese couch potato, so my ambitions at first were limited to having fun, not finishing last, and staying safe (in reverse order). Five years later, I have lost 60 pounds and can be comfortable finishing mid-to-front third of sport most of the time. I get a kick out of racing for the closed course, pure focus, cameraderie, and competition against myself and those of similar ability.

mtbr member
    The Rockhopper Classic is a small local XC race that is usually at Lagoon Valley (Vacaville), but they held it at Rockville (Fairfield) last year in conjunction with the enduro there.

Motherload Epic if they do it again is up at Folsom lake and a ton of fun. Sort of like the trail rider's XC.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Anyone care to comment on the new course of the Lemurian vs. the original one at the dam? I've done the old course three times and am considering the new route but since it takes me about ten to twelve hours of driving to get back to Shasta.

mtbr member

The 2018 Caspar Classic?

Quote Originally Posted by obviouslyme View Post
    My girlfriend and I are going to do some XC races this year, so I figured I'd see what everyone recommends and what's been good in the past...
    Consider coming to the Mendocino coast when it's unbearably hot inland for our annual Caspar Classic mountain bike race. It will be held on Labor Day weekend - Saturday Sept 1st. if you are camping, get your reservations in early. A fun 11+ mile loop with 1800+ feet of elevation gain on a great course. Repeated loops for different classifications.

Some of the winners in the past have been:

Matthias Behrends, Gabe Cheese, Kevin Smallman and Brian Astel to name a few. This will be our 12 annual race.

Here is the 2015 course map:

2018 XC racing in Norcal -- Where's everyone racing this year?-map.jpg
    Last edited by RooHarris; 01-28-2018 at 09:33 PM. Reason: RACE DAY DATE CHANGED to Saturday Sept 1st.

Mtn View, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by infotekt View Post
    I don't have any race experience but I've ridden the Old Cabin Classic loop in Wilder Ranch several times and it's definitely a fun track.
    Old Cabin was fun last year. They handed out hot bacon at the top of Enchanted.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Hella Olde
    Have you ever been to the Sea Otter Classic in April? Maybe you left it off the list on purpose, but If you're new to the racing circus/circuit I'd recommend that race/event too. The terrain is beginner-friendly.

Sea Otter Classic - April 19-22, 2018 - Monterey, California, USA (Powered by SRAM) -

Click on Racing your Bike

https://www.trailforks.com/route/cat...try-route-map/

Pirate!!!
    Also consider the Nevada City Dirt Classic. https://www.bikereg.com/37163
    NCDC is a five part series. Classic, small, XC races, in a really rad area.
    Put on by an equally rad bike club. Build-Maintain-Preserve

mtbr member
    Anything bikemonkey will be awesome. They just crush their MTB events. Good courses, good people, etc.

I'll be at: Lemurian, Downieville (that's my big target every year), Old Cabin Classic and hopefully Annadel which is supposed to be back this year. I also hope to do the Lake Sonoma Grasshopper as a substitute for SoNoMas and MAYBE Tamarancho will come back this year.

Those are all courses I'd be stoked to ride even if it wasn't a race. Super fun.

I generally skip the Toro Parks/Granite Bays but I think they are good places to get skills and I'm sure they are plenty fast!

I love racing mt bikes and think you will too. I started a few years back getting crushed in beginner, worked up to mid pack expert and had a blast every step of the process. Have fun!
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    One I haven't seen mentioned:
    -Lake Sonoma Grasshopper: Lake Sonoma MTB: April 21st – Grasshopper Adventure Series

Planning to do:
    -Old Cabin Classic
    -Nevada City Dirt Classic Series
    -Sea Otter
    -Probably some of the BikeMonkey races

Fingers crossed for Tamarancho and Annadel...

mtbr member
    Well, this was all quite helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    I'm a big fan of Big Sandy. Don't let the "east Fresno" location fool you. It is one of the most scenic, fun grassroots events around. The main descent back to the river (after a tough climb up) is worth the trip to check out at least once.
    It looks great. East is definitely the direction to go if you find yourself in Fresno. I imagine we'll opt for the 23 miler.

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Hopefully Annadel XC will be on again this year. Skyline Park in Napa has reopened now so there's that venue. Also the Wente which replaced Boggs is a good one. Sea Otter Classic although might not be the low(er) key type of venue you're looking for.
    Sea Otter seems like a bit of a shitshow, but I suppose we should do it at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Flo View Post
    If you haven't raced before, the CCCX or TBF series are good introductions, as the beginner classes are low-key in both and not terribly crowded. Granite Bay (TBF) is a more fun course in my opinion, but both are easy, low-tech courses. CCCX can be (and sometimes is) raced on CX bikes.

(I cropped out a bunch of really good info to shorten my reply post)

I spend the first 44 years of my life as a non-athletic increasingly obese couch potato, so my ambitions at first were limited to having fun, not finishing last, and staying safe (in reverse order). Five years later, I have lost 60 pounds and can be comfortable finishing mid-to-front third of sport most of the time. I get a kick out of racing for the closed course, pure focus, cameraderie, and competition against myself and those of similar ability.
    Both Granite Bay and CCCX look (and from everyone's advice, sound) like easy ways to get started with racing.

Quote Originally Posted by hiphopopotamus View Post
    The Rockhopper Classic is a small local XC race that is usually at Lagoon Valley (Vacaville), but they held it at Rockville (Fairfield) last year in conjunction with the enduro there.

Motherload Epic if they do it again is up at Folsom lake and a ton of fun. Sort of like the trail rider's XC.
    Rockhopper is on the radar, but I couldn't find a date certain for 2018 yet. We almost did it in 2017, other stuff interfered.

Quote Originally Posted by RooHarris View Post
    Consider coming to the Mendocino coast when it's unbearably hot inland for our annual Caspar Classic mountain bike race. It will be held on Labor Day weekend - Sept 2nd. if you are camping, get your reservations in early. A fun 11+ mile loop with 1800+ feet of elevation gain on a great course. Repeated loops for different classifications.
    You guys were the consummate hosts when we rode your woods earlier this year. Caspar Classic is now on our calendar. Am I correct to assume that the announcement will go out on the MendoCC e-mail list?

Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Have you ever been to the Sea Otter Classic in April? Maybe you left it off the list on purpose, but If you're new to the racing circus/circuit I'd recommend that race/event too. The terrain is beginner-friendly.

Sea Otter Classic - April 19-22, 2018 - Monterey, California, USA (Powered by SRAM) -

Click on Racing your Bike

https://www.trailforks.com/route/cat...try-route-map/

We were ducking the circus aspect, for sure. We should probably just go do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cobb View Post
    I saw those. The courses looked great. I haven't ridden anything up there yet, so I figure we should go try.

Quote Originally Posted by etuck View Post
    Anything bikemonkey will be awesome. They just crush their MTB events. Good courses, good people, etc.

I'll be at: Lemurian, Downieville (that's my big target every year), Old Cabin Classic and hopefully Annadel which is supposed to be back this year. I also hope to do the Lake Sonoma Grasshopper as a substitute for SoNoMas and MAYBE Tamarancho will come back this year.

Those are all courses I'd be stoked to ride even if it wasn't a race. Super fun.

I generally skip the Toro Parks/Granite Bays but I think they are good places to get skills and I'm sure they are plenty fast!

I love racing mt bikes and think you will too. I started a few years back getting crushed in beginner, worked up to mid pack expert and had a blast every step of the process. Have fun!
    I'm looking forward to the competition and then focus on conditioning and technique in between races. I hadn't heard any rumblings about Tamarancho coming back, but that would be awesome. That's where we ride the most, save for JMP in our backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by luchi87 View Post
    One I haven't seen mentioned:
    -Lake Sonoma Grasshopper: Lake Sonoma MTB: April 21st – Grasshopper Adventure Series

Planning to do:
    -Old Cabin Classic
    -Nevada City Dirt Classic Series
    -Sea Otter
    -Probably some of the BikeMonkey races

Fingers crossed for Tamarancho and Annadel...
    Solid. Thanks for the heads up on the Lake Sonoma ride. We've got friends in Healdsburg that would make that pretty manageable.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Does anyone have a collection of all the bike races? If not, I'm going to start putting together a google doc. Maybe a sticky post like last year?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKD View Post
    Does anyone have a collection of all the bike races? If not, I'm going to start putting together a google doc. Maybe a sticky post like last year?

It won't let me post a shortened link, so here's the full google docs link to a spreadsheet list. Not mine.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...81&single=true

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    That's one hell of a website URL.

mtbr member
    That's one hell of a website URL.
    MTBR doesn't like bit.ly apparently. I edited it to make your reply make less sense.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Pretty comprehensive. If you know the author, see if they'll add these: Grasshopper Adventure Series – Epic two-wheeled adventures in Northern California

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by unicrown junkie View Post
    Anyone care to comment on the new course of the Lemurian vs. the original one at the dam? I've done the old course three times and am considering the new route but since it takes me about ten to twelve hours of driving to get back to Shasta.
    The original course was amazing and challenging. I remember doing it in 97 where it was decent weather at the dam and snowing at the top. The course was rocky, and with a 100mm mag 21 fork, that was brutal. The course now at whiskeytown is still challenging and very fun. I highly recommend it. It's a totally different experience from the old lemurian shoot.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cobb View Post
    Great series. Me and my son did two out of the three races last year.

mtbr member
    The list above is missing the Hard Coe're 100.

Saturday October 6, 2018. Bay area folks don't have to drive very far. It's just east of Gilroy about 35 minutes south of San Jose.

The Hard COEre 100 - home.

Nothing technical or sketchy, just a lot of up!

Lusus Naturae
    Pretty comprehensive. If you know the author, see if they'll add these: Grasshopper Adventure Series – Epic two-wheeled adventures in Northern California
    I will add most MTB races; still not sure about gravel grinders or CX-bike races.

This spreadsheet is created in tandem with the MTB racing Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/NorcalMountainBikeRacing/

obviouslyme:
    CCCX and TBF are reliable series with pretty fun courses overall. You can typically rail it and the climbing is minimal and short.

I'll probably skip the TBF race this weekend but going to do CCCX on Superbowl Sunday.

Other than those there are a ton of classic races that will bust your balls and you'll be happy to finish. I recommend doing all the big ones at least once, like Downieville classic, Shasta Lemurian, SoNoMas, Big Sandy, Sea Otter (yes, just do it), Wente, etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Ridin' High at the Ranch in Susanville is fun. I raced it last year.
    https://www.bikereg.com/36805

mtbr member

Caspar classic 2018

You guys were the consummate hosts when we rode your woods earlier this year. Caspar Classic is now on our calendar. Am I correct to assume that the announcement will go out on the MendoCC e-mail list?

It will get posted on the listserve not sure about the email list as we are having issues with the website at the moment, but in the past, the race organizers have waited too long to post. I am pushing them to get out a spring announcement so we can get more racers and have available camping for all somewhere in a designated camping area in JDSF or State Park CG. As abalone is "OFF" limits for this year, camping around the Labor Day weekend should be more available.

Stay in touch...

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlegm420 View Post
    Ridin' High at the Ranch in Susanville is fun. I raced it last year.
    https://www.bikereg.com/36805
    Ditto^^^, and yes put on the list please! I did it last year for the first time. Tough but fun course. Will be headed back up for sure. Little bit of a drive from Bay Area but I have a friend who lives up there and also befriend some of the locals who put on the venue to be able to do some rides in other areas so it's more than an up and back grind just to race trip.

The turnout last year was a little less than previous in '16 which was expected since it wasn't included in a series they have somewhere in the area so it didn't draw as many hardcore racers looking for points. Hopefully things will pick back up this year for them as they have a very passionate cycling community in the area.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

The turnout last year was a little less than previous in '16 which was expected since it wasn't included in a series they have somewhere in the area so it didn't draw as many hardcore racers looking for points. Hopefully things will pick back up this year for them as they have a very passionate cycling community in the area.
    Sounds like Susanville is now 1 of 4(?) races in the 2018 CA MTB State Championship series. Not sure if there is a specific link to anywhere about the 'series' though...
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    To the OP -- the main attraction of Sea Otter is the overall event itself, not so much the amateur races unless you are OK with being one of up to 1,500 riders on course throughout the morning. It's the biggest open-to-public bike show in the US, and the pro races attract some serious international competition (the XC race is a UCI HC event so people come to get early-season points). It's almost a must-go if you are into bikes and racing.

Others mentioned many great races that I omitted. I hope to make it to the Caspar Classic this summer -- the Mendo trails are fantastic! I have skipped most of the Sierra races due to the distance, but my first-ever race was at Kirkwood -- fun and very difficult for me at the time!

Lastly, efforts are in the works to make a Tamarancho race happen later this year, late-summer or early fall. It was planned for last year but thwarted by several logistical and safety-related issues. Hopefully those challenges can be overcome and it will come together; fingers crossed.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Grinduro.
    Nice e-bike! (sorry about your penis)

The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    Grinduro.
    Not an XC race...

That said, looks like a fun, "run-what-you-brung" kind of event.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ I guess you're right! It's more like a dirt-roadie race, but there is about 6 miles of downhill s/t toward the end of the race to keep everybody honest.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 01-28-2018 at 10:44 AM.
    Nice e-bike! (sorry about your penis)

The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

ol'guy who says hi &waves

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

hopeless moron
    Im taking the year off from CCCX dirt-roadie-crits and planning on doing some real races such as Old Cabin, but well see whats is in store for the year.
    one by nine works just fine but single speed is all ya need
    BTW, its called sarcasm; youre soaking in it!

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RooHarris View Post
    Consider coming to the Mendocino coast when it's unbearably hot inland for our annual Caspar Classic mountain bike race. It will be held on Labor Day weekend - Sept 2nd. if you are camping, get your reservations in early. A fun 11+ mile loop with 1800+ feet of elevation gain on a great course. Repeated loops for different classifications.

Some of the winners in the past have been:

Matthias Behrends, Gabbe Cheese, Kevin Smallman and Brian Astel to name a few. This will be our 12 annual race.

Here is the 2015 course map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	227.0 KB 
ID:	1179753
    It's a great course. Great vibe too
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member

Date change of the Caspar Classic...

Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    It's a great course. Great vibe too
    I spoke with the race organizers yesterday regarding C.C . race day and it has been moved to SATURDAY September 1st.

How do I get this posted to the NOR-CAL race schedule? We want to get the race field numbers up this year. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Sounds like Susanville is now 1 of 4(?) races in the 2018 CA MTB State Championship series. Not sure if there is a specific link to anywhere about the 'series' though...
    Hey back Ron, got this message from one of the Susanville locals involved in the venue:
    "Ridin' High at the Ranch is May 26th. Race is now part of USAC Cal XC Champ series. Bring your buddies"

Maybe this will get you to the series link?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Maybe this will get you to the series link?
    Hmmm... dug around the USAC site and found links to:
    Flyer: https://legacy.usacycling.org/events...ermit=2018-482
    Link with no info: https://ybonc.org/events/

OK, not entirely info-free. The website says "2018 Dirt Classic Series: 5 Race Series! Info coming soon!". So maybe it'll say something soon, first date on the flyer is 3/4)

Back to races... Big Sandy is fun. And camping right at the start line (for the race you're likely to do). The only trick is that the finish line is not nearby... but it will get worked out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmtb View Post

Back to races... Big Sandy is fun. And camping right at the start line (for the race you're likely to do). The only trick is that the finish line is not nearby... but it will get worked out.
    Just registered for the 23 miler for two. It looks like all of the camping is walk-in. Am I right about that for the camping near the start line? It looks like there's a massive camping area -- capacity 300 -- so I figure there'll be plenty of room to pitch a tent. We've got a lazy air mattress to sleep in the car if needed.

Think there'll be any issue coming in late on Friday night from San Jose?

mtbr member
    I am definitely doing the Wente 8 hour again and the Annadel xc if it runs (I hope I hope I hope).

I'm hoping to get a few more endurance races in but we will see how a new born in march affects my training.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmtb View Post
    Hmmm... dug around the USAC site and found links to:
    Flyer

OK, not entirely info-free. The website says "2018 Dirt Classic Series: 5 Race Series! Info coming soon!". So maybe it'll say something soon, first date on the flyer is 3/4)

Back to races... Big Sandy is fun
    Yeah on the flyer dates the Saturday May 26th is the Susanville event. And I've heard the Big Sandy is a good one I'd really like to get down there to do it. Guess you could line up a shuttle back to start by making friends with others that are camping.

Lusus Naturae
    I've added it, plus updated the Ridin' High date/URL.

mtbr member
    Just registered for the 23 miler for two. It looks like all of the camping is walk-in. Am I right about that for the camping near the start line? It looks like there's a massive camping area -- capacity 300 -- so I figure there'll be plenty of room to pitch a tent. We've got a lazy air mattress to sleep in the car if needed.

Think there'll be any issue coming in late on Friday night from San Jose?
    The campground near the start is not massive. It is called a walk in campground but the farthest you would have to walk is a few hundred feet. Should be no problem arriving late and you could probably sleep in your car.

mtbr member
    Well, it begins this weekend. We're both going to get up early and drive down to Ft. Ord to try our luck at Cat 3.

Had to shake the dust off my clipless shoes and spandex, but they're ready to go.

I'll be on a Hightower with way too much tire, so come by and say hi if you're out there.

If anyone knows they're doing the Big Sandy and wants to coordinate the self-shuttle, let me know. My car has room for 7 bikes and 7 people (if they're 3 across in the 2nd row).

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Kind of a related question, but are there long organized rides like Gran Fondo's? I know of the Grinduro in Graeagle but this feels more like a gravel grinder event.

I like the organized rides, I don't really care about racing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by starvingdavid View Post
    Kind of a related question, but are there long organized rides like Gran Fondo's? I know of the Grinduro in Graeagle but this feels more like a gravel grinder event.

Go to a race but ignore the racing. That's the atmosphere I generally get back in the bottom 50% crowd who don't have the fitness to be competitive. Just there to push ourselves, have an adventure, and ride with other people. I don't know the Whiskeytown trails myself, so I signed up for the 26 mile Lemurian and got a guided ride on great trails complete with cowbells and refueling stops and a great burrito.

mtbr member
    If you're interested in technical trails and lots of rocks, consider the Bidwell Bump in Chico. Usually held in late September.

mtbr member
    1 race down, many to go.

We did the CCCX #1 at Ft. Ord. It was a really good time. I see why people call it a dirt crit. The only thing approaching tech on the course were the brake bumps on two downhill turns.

I definitely belong in beginner, but a bit of training should get me up to sport to get my ass kicked there.

There are a bunch of good threads scattered around MTBR about your first race, and I decided to go with the "have fun and don't ruin anyone else's race" approach. Next time I'll start faster. Most of the race was spent passing, which chews up a ton of time and effort, I learned.

I also learned that if there's someone else on a hill in front of me, I seem happy to just spin behind them and take a break. Time to break that habit and start passing on the hills.

We got there too late to warm up, which killed me on the first lap. My fault, but it's a long drive from Oakland. My average heart rate was 149, but I didn't crack 150 until mile 5. Oops.

On to Granite Bay next weekend.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded

MCBC usually does 1-3 dirt fondos in July/August. The "regular" Mt. Tam Fondo is a headlands gravel grind, with loop options from 10-45 miles. The big course has 7,000 feet of climbing. They also did the Solstice Fondo the last couple years, with some more interesting trails, but they do it in mid-July and it's more inland, so it can be fairly hot. I'm hoping they figure out a route that incorporates the newly-legal trails in Geronimo, I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat. Good events, good vibe, great support.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    MCBC usually does 1-3 dirt fondos in July/August. The "regular" Mt. Tam Fondo is a headlands gravel grind, with loop options from 10-45 miles. The big course has 7,000 feet of climbing. They also did the Solstice Fondo the last couple years, with some more interesting trails, but they do it in mid-July and it's more inland, so it can be fairly hot. I'm hoping they figure out a route that incorporates the newly-legal trails in Geronimo, I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat. Good events, good vibe, great support.
    this is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    this is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks.
    Registration should open shortly. Word is they're finalizing permits this month. It's not cheap ($130) but the aid stations are frequent and well stocked.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    There is also the LaGrange Classic in Weaverville. They have a short course option that is 14 miles with 90% singletrack.

https://www.trinitytrailalliance.com...e-classic.html

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Sly Park Shootout on July 14th -> Sly Park Shootout

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Glad to see this on the calendar. Raced it a couple of years back. Very fun.

mtbr member
    Seen a few mentions here but little detail so here's more on the CA Dirt MTB Series (formerly Nevada City Dirt Classic). It's once again the CA State XC Championship Series and thrilled to have Susanville in the mix this year. The first race is coming up fast--Sunday March 4. All the courses are classic meat and potatoes XC singletrack (with a little spice thrown in via Hoot Trail in #2). From the main Facebook page you can link to each individual race. #5's locale is not totally nailed down just yet but 99% sure it's going to be at Sugar Bowl/Royal Gorge. #1, 2 and 3 are in the Nevada City area. There is plenty of dispersed camping on BLM and TNF. No fires! Glamping is available close by at the Inn Town Campground and there is developed seasonal camping at TNF's White Cloud. Plenty of hotels and restaurants around, too. If you haven't raced our trails you're going to be in for a treat!

https://www.facebook.com/CaliforniaDirtMTB/

https://www.bikereg.com/ca-dirt-xc-series

mtbr member
    OK. Dredging this thread back up to ask a tire question --

We're racing the Big Sandy tomorrow, and it's going to rain nonstop from hours ago through the end of the race.
    Having never ridden there, I have no clue which tires to run on a soppy rainy day race.

Here are our options:

Me:
    Minion DHF 2.5
    Minion DHR II 2.3
    Nobby Nic 2.25
    Ardent Race 2.2
    Continental MountainKing Protections @ 2.4 & 2.2 that I could take off my other bike.

Her:
    High Roller II 2.4
    DHR II 2.3
    2 x Rocket Rons @ 2.25
    Ikon 2.3
    Ardent Race 2.2

Thoughts?

jms
    mtbr member
    You:
    NN front and rear - if you look at the rolling resistance numbers here:
    https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

NN's are ridiculously fast for such a toothy tire.

Her:
    RR's front and rear or Ardent Race front and RR rear - and hope she's a good bike handler or forgiving.

Have fun, racing in the rain is always entertaining.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Check out Clipped In Races
    they put on the Mother Lode Epic which was truly epic in its first year as well as the Prairie City Series and new to this year Sly Park Shootout. All 2 hours from Oakland.

mtbr member
    I can't recommend a tire , but I live near by and can tell you it will be predominately mud made from decomposed granite with a little more clay like mud here and there. Bring chain lube and link. I'll be sweeping one section of the race, I hope you don't see me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    You:
    NN front and rear - if you look at the rolling resistance numbers here:
    https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

NN's are ridiculously fast for such a toothy tire.

Her:
    RR's front and rear or Ardent Race front and RR rear - and hope she's a good bike handler or forgiving.

Have fun, racing in the rain is always entertaining.
    Thanks for the advice. It was a mudfest! Much respect to the 38 mile folks. That's a serious ride.

23 miles kicked our ass. The Rocket Rons worked well for her. I only had one NN, so I put the Ardent Race on the back. That was really squirrely in the mud.

Mud mud mud mud mud mud mud. Mud.

jms
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice. It was a mudfest! Much respect to the 38 mile folks. That's a serious ride.

23 miles kicked our ass. The Rocket Rons worked well for her. I only had one NN, so I put the Ardent Race on the back. That was really squirrely in the mud.

Mud mud mud mud mud mud mud. Mud.
    Great to read you guys survived and had "fun". Glad I could offer something worthwhile. There's tons of great info in the endurance XC and XC forum if you want to increase your knowledge base. Good luck in your future events this year!
    My Favorite Peeps:

Lusus Naturae
    Congrats on riding in that weather, props to all who rode in that snot! I wimped out..but down for the next CCCX next weekend. (rain or shine)