Captain One Lung SuperModerator

2017 Bark Beetle Forecast for California

Hopefully the link works for you.

http://usfs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Map...e298efefceaa46

More info from Sierra Nevada Conservancy
    Tree Mortality in the Sierra Nevada — Sierra Nevada Conservancy

California experienced extremely high levels of tree mortality in 2016 because of the combined effects of drought and bark beetles. Images like the one to the right were common in the southern Sierra Nevada Range, and aerial surveys conducted by the U.S. Forest Service estimated that 102 million trees have died in California since 2010.
    To help land managers anticipate the risk of tree loss ahead of these surveys, Haiganoush Preisler from the Pacific Southwest Research Station, Sheri Smith and Zachary Heath from Forest Health Protection, and Nancy Grulke from the Western Threat Assessment Center created a forecast of the intensity and location of bark beetle-caused mortality, by analyzing historical aerial survey data and variables known to influence bark beetle success, such as precipitation and stand density.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    It lost me at page 5. Can you summarize for us in 2 lines or less?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that precip improves resiliency to the buggers, so tree mortality should reduce in 2017.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Do not let them rot on the stump. We need to salvage log aggressively. This has many benefits: reducing density lessens threat to remaining trees, reducing fuel loading reducing threat of catastrophic fire, and taxpayers recoup some money for the Treasury and benefits local roads and schools.
    Even with aggressive and massive logging not all the dead trees will be harvested. There will be sufficient dead trees remaining to benefit wildlife.
    So many trails... so little time...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What I have heard is that all the lumber mills are at full capacity. They do not have room for all the harvest to come.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    There is an issue of capacity and type. Ca's lumber industry is geared toward the processing of large logs. Most black wood is small logs and cannot be processed. Co-Gen/chip plants hare full up and fuel costs continue to be a problem for processing.

Hella Olde
    This post is just perfect.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    It lost me at page 5. Can you summarize for us in 2 lines or less?
    Drought = higher susceptibility. Trees >6" ABH die, smaller live. Standing dead = bad.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by leaguerider View Post
    What I have heard is that all the lumber mills are at full capacity. They do not have room for all the harvest to come.
    That is definitely not true. The problem is that the dying trees are on public land, and there is too much red tape to get the trees cut and removed. If they stand for more than a year, dead, they are no good for lumber.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Drought = higher susceptibility. Trees >6" ABH die, smaller live. Standing dead = bad.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Cliff notes FTW!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlee197853 View Post
    That is definitely not true. The problem is that the dying trees are on public land, and there is too much red tape to get the trees cut and removed. If they stand for more than a year, dead, they are no good for lumber.
    The issue is three fold. My post above is one of the issues (only large log mills and only small logs in ca). It is cheaper to import large logs than re tool the mill. Also much of the dying forest is submerchantable timber or non merch. I e valueless. Fuel costs are too high for chipping and hauling of sub merchant for burning for power. Lastly there is an issue of taxes on a harvest vs. not harvesting and not paying taxes. It's less red tape and more economics. Although the last one is a red tape thing...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I should also add that on the Tahoe, usfs's put up many many acres for timber sales that went unsold, due to mill gluts. I think spi can mill merchantable black logs for the foreseeable future due to the big fires further decreasing harvest of public lands (spi owns the mills)

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Dead true fir (white fir, red fir) have a very short time span from when it turns red until the wood is no longer good. You cannot get it to the mill fast enough. Pines have a bit longer, a year or so depending upon conditions.

Most mills do not like to handle logs under 12". They can usually handle down to 8", but will complain about it. Basically no profit margin at that size, maybe even a loss. A few specialty mills can handle down to 4".

Private lands have more leeway under state forest practice rules on emergency salvage logging. The planning process is much simpler and approvals are quick. Not so for the FS. A full environmental review is required. This was not the original intent of NEPA, but various factions in the environmental industry hijacked the courts into 'reinterpreting' the original intent of Congress and NEPA. These groups want a complete halt to any harvesting of any product for any reason. They are smart enough not to publicly admit it though. So instead they obstruct, delay, and appeal anything the FS does, then condemn the FS for the delays.

Had the FS been allowed to properly manage the forest in the first place the current epidemic would be far less severe and easy to handle. As it is the FS is only harvesting less than 5% of current sustained yield in the Sierra.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Right on Dave54! You in the industry?
    I'm not. Well I'm on the supply side , trying to get the forests I manage cut and sent somewhere. Tough to compete right now. I'd also like those sales to get sold on the nf lands adjacent to ours..

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by John Svahn View Post
    Retired FS

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by John Svahn View Post
    I'm not. Well I'm on the supply side , trying to get the forests I manage cut and sent somewhere. Tough to compete right now. I'd also like those sales to get sold on the nf lands adjacent to ours..
    I work for SPI. 20 year employee. Our log yard is definitely not full right now. Too much rain to get any logging done. Most SPI mills can handle sizes down to 4-6" or so.

mtbr member
    I make furniture out of old wine barrels and these little bastiges always come out between April and June. It's a near constant fight for me over the last four years or so.
    Let's kick ass!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlee197853 View Post
    I work for SPI. 20 year employee. Our log yard is definitely not full right now. Too much rain to get any logging done. Most SPI mills can handle sizes down to 4-6" or so.
    Right on JLee! There are some properties of your that we have conservation easements on. Did some Harvests on them last year. Doug P is the forester here.

Weird-All my stuff is sitting on a deck waiting to go to Quincy. (different properties than mentioned above.) And all my small stuff that can't go to Quincy has to get chipped and go to Lincoln when that's available and fuel costs aren't too high.

Do you work up in Anderson?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hopefully with this cold winter were having will knock the sh!t out of the bark beetle. With the last four winters being mild and add the drought on top of it, the beetles got out of control. While the bark beetle normally exists in the eco system, cold winters and adequate precipitation help keep the beetle in check by limiting the number of life cycles the beetle goes through per year. The last four years however have allowed the beetle go through many more life cycles than normal, with each one exponentially greater than the previous. Thus causing massive tree mortality.
    Anybody can ski the groomed