Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    swag ho Administrator

2013 Superbowl Mt. Hamilton ride - Sunday, Feb 3

The first monster event of the year is here and it is the annual Mount Hamilton Superbowl ride.

The idea is to ride the big climb on Superbowl Sunday morning so we can indulge later with some food and drink.

Meeting time is 8:30 on Sunday, Feb 3.

Meeting Place is Penitencia Creek Park lot on Berryessa Road.
    berryessa road and adams san jose - Google Maps

Ride is up Mt. Hamilton and back down, Distance is 50 miles and elevation is 5000 feet. Riding is from 9am to 1pm. The game starts at 3:30.

Advanced option: Race up for KOM

Beginner option: turn around whenever you want and head down. Or park at Grant Ranch and start from there so you experience the summit.

Tandem, recumbent, electric, mountain bikes allowed: yes.

Required: Bring three of your favorite beers to share. Bring food for a a potluck after the ride.

Required: Bring a designated driver if you are drinking.

Option: Bring a huge TV so we can hang out and watch the game there.

Wildcard: Rain or 49ers making it in does NOT cancel.

video: Mtbr Mt. Hamilton Ride - YouTube

Who's in?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Superbowl Mt. Hamilton ride - Sunday, Feb 3-2011_02_06_ham_7.jpg  

Snowjnky McDreamy
    I am in.
    3 events I never miss. Turkey day ride, Super bowl day and D-ville Classic

who;'s that badass with the white helmet, leg tats and looking like he is gonna punk some vato?
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

pro leisure tour
    IN! Had to miss this last year so now I can atone.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    I am in.
    3 events I never miss. Turkey day ride, Super bowl day and D-ville Classic

who;'s that badass with the white helmet, leg tats and looking like he is gonna punk some vato?
    I have heard that guy just hogs the whole darn trail at STCP. He is not to be messed with!
    They never made the "Slowster"

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post

Who's in?
    Im in that picture! Free beer (just one beer) for the first person to be able to identify me.

Ill be riding my 44x20 SS, but wondering whether to bring the 24"x3.45" slicks (mounted on 2.5" wide rims) or the skinny-ass roadieboy 700x25 tires. Hmm, tough decision: excellent cornering grip, or pinchflats???
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    Probably FredDaTrog. Actually, I believe he was there for the 2012 ride.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Puro Vida!
    You be next to Dion-wearing La Sagrada Virgen de Guadalupe Jersey

Puro Vida!
    I don't count though-I owe you beer and will owe for the Pug build

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Alright, damnit... I'll go to this. BUT!!! Got to be back before kick off.

I have a black helmet now, vatos, to match my black kits. Makes me feel awesome, except when I'm riding home in the dark

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    In! Not sure if i"m in for the regular ride or if I want to try the bonus option!

Is this thing on?
    I'm in again this year. I'll be on my MTB to keep you wannabe roadies honest. I might even put slicks on so I can sneak up on people.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by Froride1 View Post
    I'm in again this year. I'll be on my MTB to keep you wannabe roadies honest. I might even put slicks on so I can sneak up on people.
    You need to toss a rigid fork on your access, homie.

Is this thing on?
    Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    You need to toss a rigid fork on your access, homie.
    I been thinking about it. Its a commuter now and I ride it with the fork locked out. A rigid fork and skinny tires would make it better for the commute.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by Froride1 View Post
    I been thinking about it. Its a commuter now and I ride it with the fork locked out. A rigid fork and skinny tires would make it better for the commute.
    Not to mention it'll be more reliable, lighter, more responsive, quicker reacting when dodging and weaving the stupid that happens.

A buddy of mine had GREAT luck with big apples (2.3) on his xtracycle, and marathons (32c) on his long haul trucker for daily commuting duties. I just wore out CX tires and used those!

I'm waiting for the day when you decide to get a road bike....

AAANNNDDDD to make this NOT totally off topic... There is some talk by some of the more adventurous riders to start at the parking lot, head to Livermore, ride up mines and down mt hammie... could be fun... Could be full of pain and suffering. I haven't done any big road rides recently so I'm not sure what my limits are at the moment!

mtbr member
    Kind of intimidated by a 50 mi/5k ride. Best Ive done is 38 mi/3k and I was shot! Wondering if I should just do the granny section and start at Grant.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by NuckingFuts View Post
    Kind of intimidated by a 50 mi/5k ride. Best Ive done is 38 mi/3k and I was shot! Wondering if I should just do the granny section and start at Grant.
    I bet you'll be fine. Bring food/water and layers based upon weather, the average grade is like 5%-6% most of the way, so its pretty easy, just... long. Food is important, pacing is, although you do have a downhill about 1/3'd of the way up.

Big rides like this are easier when you have lots of other people doing it as well!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    50 miles sounds like a very long haul. I've done 100 km in a day on a road bike, but that was a long time ago... I'll probably join in for the granny section.

Is now still the time?
    Tandem team in!
    SOrCerer

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Rho and I will be rolling on skinny knobbies. And dis is da' troof.

Quote Originally Posted by paulney View Post
    50 miles sounds like a very long haul. I've done 100 km in a day on a road bike, but that was a long time ago... I'll probably join in for the granny section.
    It really isn't that bad. It's 25 miles up and 25 miles down. Who's bringing bar mitts or pogies for the descent???

mtbr member
    I'm in.. The Wildcards mentioned cancel the bonus parts of the ride!

Puro Vida!
    Ride with us! Im not fast at all but the ride is doable. Don't be intimidated-it's not that bad and you'll be glad you did it!

Wēk Ss
    It's not bad, but can get tough because the steepest climbs are at the end. It gradually gets steeper.

Also, regardless of what people say, these guys are fast. I can do the 50, but it takes me about 5 hours to do so. Most of these guys bang it out, at their casual pace, in 3.

If you want to join in the festivities, start at Grant Ranch, or start at the lot and turn around at the 5mi sign.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Rho and I will be rolling on skinny knobbies. And dis is da' troof.

It really isn't that bad. It's 25 miles up and 25 miles down. Who's bringing bar mitts or pogies for the descent???
    One of these days when i get around to not being lazy, I'm gonna toss the 25's on the cx bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    One of these days when i get around to not being lazy, I'm gonna toss the 25's on the cx bike.
    Yeah, I think I'm gonna smarten up and throw on some road tires. With that gigantic 30" wide DH riser bar I have on my CX bike, I'm gonna get so much love from skinny purist roadies.

Is this thing on?

I'm waiting for the day when you decide to get a road bike....
    I've already decided, the tricky part is getting a third new bike in less than two months past my wife.

DO IT! its not as bad as it sounds. I did it last year for the first time and had a great time. You just need to set an easy pace and motor along. Besides it'll be a Team Social Pace ride so no racing or dropping anyone. There was plenty of food and beer left when we got to the party.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post

Also, regardless of what people say, these guys are fast. I can do the 50, but it takes me about 5 hours to do so. Most of these guys bang it out, at their casual pace, in 3.
    Who are these fast guys you are carrying on about? It took me close to 5 hours, 4:50 to be exact, to get up and back. Granted I'll be faster this year but certainly won't be getting any KOMs.

You were the true grit rider last year, When I saw you still gutting it out to the top while I was on my way down. I thought damn, props to Holland, I would have quit a long time ago. Just don't get lost this year!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast