Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Okay...

So this was given to me from a client who a wrote some life insurance on he and his wife.

He asked me if I drink. Even though I have, maybe, a beer a year MAX, I said "yes" and he reaches into his top cupboard and busts out THIS!

It's an Everclear concoction that's supposed to punch you in the gut. I was going to save this for post-race CCCX activities to share with my homies, but I'm thinking about saving it for this ride.

I haven't opened it yet, but from what I'm told it's a sneaky bastard of a drink.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358526690.951617.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  18.9 KB

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Froride1 View Post
    I've already decided, the tricky part is getting a third new bike in less than two months past my wife.
    whoa! whoa! whoa! third bike? back the truck up? what???!! which??? you know I love to talk bikes! why are you holding out?

Who are these fast guys you are carrying on about? It took me close to 5 hours, 4:50 to be exact, to get up and back. Granted I'll be faster this year but certainly won't be getting any KOMs.

You were the true grit rider last year, When I saw you still gutting it out to the top while I was on my way down. I thought damn, props to Holland, I would have quit a long time ago. Just don't get lost this year!
    Well, there's like a hundred guys that are going to show up. There's a ton of them that pull out those times.

As for getting lost, probably not, I know my way around better now, but mostly from home instead of that starting location.

FWIW, I got dropped at the start when everyone blasted off from the turn signal, and I spent an hour wandering around ARP, by myself, trying to find the route. I do have a CX bike now, so it might be better, but "social" pace through Alum Rock Park was about 15 mph. No can do that pace on a 26er with 1.9 tires, no no no. CX with 25c, probably.

Anyway, I'm not sure I'm doing this. I need to check family plans.

It might help to post a GPS route this time, especially for the start and finishing routes. I think I rode 8 hours total last year, 4.5 hours to climb up. I also had no idea where I was going, the only part I knew was Mt. Hamilton road.

Puro Vida!
    The first year I tried-which was the first time I rode up Hamilton-always had wanted to, just too intimidated-the last part did get to me. But with a large group, Sparky Jay, Leopold and Dion stayed with me and made sure I made it.
    There is a lot of fast riders who are in it to get to the top as fast as they can, but there is also a lot of people riding just to go ride. There's also people who choose to meet in the middle. Bottom line-if you want to try-go out and start riding the bike your taking today and go for it!
    Dion-Everclear if mixed correctly actually had almost no taste to it-mix in too much and you taste straight gasoline. That's why Purple Passion was so popular back in the day with the females-tasted good and packed a punch. Guys drank Cisco!

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    It's an Everclear concoction that's supposed to punch you in the gut. I was going to save this for post-race CCCX activities to share with my homies, but I'm thinking about saving it for this ride.
    I used to drink that stuff in college. I haven't touched it since.

Puro Vida!
    I think the nastiest drink I ever had was Everclear mixed with a slightly cold Mickeys-back in college-we'd preheat before going to a club-we were poor!

Is this thing on?
    Dion, just say no to anything in a Mason jar. It usually comes with an a$$ wooping. It is a pretty color, sort of like old brake fluid. Usually that sh$t is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    whoa! whoa! whoa! third bike? back the truck up? what???!! which??? you know I love to talk bikes! why are you holding out?
    I picked up a closeout Santa Cruz Chameleon 4 frame and built it up as a single speed. I told the wife 'most' of the parts would be swapped off another bike. I ended up only using the seat and brakes. Just before the new year I picked up a wonder fiber Marin Team CXR29er. I needed a new race bike, I can't be racing the old clunky Access 29er in Cat 2. The Access is now my commuter/old reliable ride. I have plans for an FS and CX/roadie bike but it will be awhile before they are added to my stable. CX will be before cross season starts in the fall. The FS when I have some spare cabbage and find a good deal.

Is this thing on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    I think the nastiest drink I ever had was Everclear mixed with a slightly cold Mickeys-back in college-we'd preheat before going to a club-we were poor!
    Pinche pendejo, that makes me want to puke just thinking about it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Dion-Everclear if mixed correctly actually had almost no taste to it-mix in too much and you taste straight gasoline. That's why Purple Passion was so popular back in the day with the females-tasted good and packed a punch. Guys drank Cisco!
    Yeah, no alcohol for me, homie. I prefer to save my liver and vote for the green party.

Puro Vida!
    Yeah it may have been my lowest point of my drinking career-I just remember we split the half pint between two of us into 2 Mickey's 40-I could feel the bottle getting WARM-it tasted as bad as it sounds.
    I do remember a kid brought moonshine to high school and got a bunch of his friends and a chick messed up during school.

Aussie Battler
    Dec 2012
    I've done the climb up and back from alum rock road (35m) on my roadie in about 3.5 hours but is this supposed to be on a mountain bike? Eek! It will take me forever and wear out my knobby tires.

Is this thing on?
    Quote Originally Posted by gregk2001 View Post
    I've done the climb up and back from alum rock road (35m) on my roadie in about 3.5 hours but is this supposed to be on a mountain bike? Eek! It will take me forever and wear out my knobby tires.
    No, most people are on road bikes. I use an MTB because I'm a hard hard man that loves punishment. Also, its all I have.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Im in

Id like to show up. I live in the area and frequent ARP. Ill be riding my rigid 29er. May come down "los huercos"( Grant Ranch ) on the way down, since ive got the knobbies.

I wish I had a road bike.... working on that.

BTW, after trolling for years, this is my first post. Hello, Im Vincent.

Wēk Ss
    hello vincent. same vincent on fb that follows people I know? i.e., fast vincent?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Im not too active on FB, but I think you may have meant Strava. ....

Cant post links yet, but Im Vincent Edson on strava.

mtbr member
    Guys, are we putting air in the tires for this ride?

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by vincinator99 View Post
    Im not too active on FB, but I think you may have meant Strava. ....

Cant post links yet, but Im Vincent Edson on strava.
    Yes, Strava, my bad. And, yes, I've seen you around, you follow folks I follow.
    Last edited by IAmHolland; 01-18-2013 at 02:07 PM.

dvo
    mtbr member
    and water in the bottles?

mtbr member
    Might join, but may opt for Kirkwood.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    No, most people are on road bikes. I use an MTB because I'm a hard hard man that loves punishment. Also, its all I have.
    I'm in the same boat

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Stupid NCVA sched a tournement for super bowl sunday. It should be a national holiday for all sports that parents normally attend.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dvo View Post
    and water in the bottles?
    Hydration packs are actually not allowed on this ride. Francis forgot to post that. Extra points for those who are hammering so hard, they throw their water bottle off to the side of the road.

Also, baggies. No baggies allowed.

Smiling only to be done before or after the ride - roadie scowls are required during the ride. Geesh - I can't believe I have to post this. You all should know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Hydration packs are actually not allowed on this ride. Francis forgot to post that. Extra points for those who are hammering so hard, they throw their water bottle off to the side of the road.

Also, baggies. No baggies allowed.

Smiling only to be done before or after the ride - roadie scowls are required during the ride. Geesh - I can't believe I have to post this. You all should know.
    OW: To keep on winning it meant you had to keep taking banned substances to do it? Are you saying that's how common it was?

LA: "Yes, and I'm not sure that this is an acceptable answer, but that's like saying we have to have air in our tires or we have to have water in our bottles. That was, in my view, part of the job."

mtbr member
    I know it's a roadie thing but it might be fun to find a detour through Grant Ranch for part of the ride - always wanted to do that on the Mt Ham climb (gives me a reason to bring the CX bike)

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider View Post
    OW: To keep on winning it meant you had to keep taking banned substances to do it? Are you saying that's how common it was?

LA: "Yes, and I'm not sure that this is an acceptable answer, but that's like saying we have to have air in our tires or we have to have water in our bottles. That was, in my view, part of the job."
    I'm a cheater.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Ride with us! Im not fast at all but the ride is doable. Don't be intimidated-it's not that bad and you'll be glad you did it!
    I had a blast last time I rode with you guys and I pushed my limits back then too. Im in! But Im counting on you guys to peel me off the pavement when I crash out. Ill bring a tow rope

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast