more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

2013 Cascade Creampuff - Aug 4th

So I recently made a decision to take a pass on Downieville this year and head North to go and race the Cascade Creampuff. This race has been on my bucket list for long time, have been putting it off for various lame excuses, but finally signed on up for it this year.

Any other NorCal'ers headed up? Sounds like this years course will be 2 loops of a 50.5 mile ~9,000 vert course (so 101 miles and 18,000 vert *gulp*)

While I've never raced the 'puff, I've gone to MBO twice in years past (2009 and 2010 I think) and ridden the Alpine / Tire / Cloverpatch trails before and can't imagine what it will be like to race on them....

Here is the official race route description from the organizers and attached is map:

"We're just a couple weeks out from Cream Puff, and thanks to the efforts of our course manager, Derrick Bell, we finally have a course in place, featuring a brand new, literally, freshly dug trail extension from what is know as Cloverpatch Trail to Buckhead Shelter on Alpine. Riders will START the course at the Red Covered Bridge and up the N. Fork Road to 1910, entering the N. Fork Trail to 1912, where they will climb past Windy Pass (Aid Station #2) to Kate's Cut-in (Aid Station #3) and up North Alpine, completing the loop back to Kate's on 1912 and down through Windy Pass again. From there, riders will enter the lower Alpine trail, the Tire Mountain intersection, climb through the meadow and descend to Cloverpatch, climbing out to the gravel road inter at FS5826 to FS130 (Aid Station #4). From here, riders will enter the new Cloverpatch-Tie trail extension, climbing to Buckhead Shelter, and follow Alpine proper down to FS5821 to Sunset Avenue through Hemlock and the Mill Site back to the Westfir Portal (also Aid Station #1). Each lap is 50.5 miles."

2013 Cascade Creampuff - Aug 4th-2013-creampuff-course.jpg

NONDURO
    Damn! Forgot about this one, AGAIN! Maybe 2014?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

jms
    mtbr member
    My favorite endurance race of all those I've done. I'm missing the CCP for the first time in seven years, and I'm bummed! This year's loop with Cloverpatch will be incredible, classic, .......... unless it rains [like last year's edition], in which case, with those switchbacks @ Cloverpatch, well, it's good assisted suicide is legal in Oregon.

You'll do fine Ron. The majority of the climbing will be on the 1910 and 1912 gravel roads. As 18,000 foot days go, it's pretty manageable, fairly constant grades and fast tracks. Aid Station 2 is probably the best place to concentrate your spare gear and/or drop bag. I've used a hardtail 29er and a 29er fully, the fully is faster; the descents will wear you down on the second pass with a hardtail. I'd suggest something with some sidewall protection for the rear tire, there's a razory shaley section descending Cloverpatch that can kill casings, something like a snakeskin Racing Ralph or the Protection version of the Conti Racesport RaceKing would serve you well.

Best Destiny out there this year. You'll kill it.
    My Favorite Peeps:

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Alpine and Tire Mountain. Yum!

The last time I was there (2 years ago) with my g/f the bear grass on Alpine was in full bloom. The big meadow looked like a Dr. Seuss picture!
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ditto that, favorite all time endurance race. I wish I had enough miles in the legs to make the trip up there. Sometime in the next couple years maybe I will get my 10th finish.

Its always I guess been a karma thing....back when Dville was in July, CCP and Dville always had a conflict, now both have moved later in the summer and once again a conflict. An ultimate month would be with those back to back. It was always a bummer having to make a choice.

Have fun Ron!
    Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post

You'll do fine Ron. The majority of the climbing will be on the 1910 and 1912 gravel roads. As 18,000 foot days go, it's pretty manageable, fairly constant grades and fast tracks. Aid Station 2 is probably the best place to concentrate your spare gear and/or drop bag. I've used a hardtail 29er and a 29er fully, the fully is faster; the descents will wear you down on the second pass with a hardtail. I'd suggest something with some sidewall protection for the rear tire, there's a razory shaley section descending Cloverpatch that can kill casings, something like a snakeskin Racing Ralph or the Protection version of the Conti Racesport RaceKing would serve you well.

Thanks JMS. I'll be racing on a 29'er FS (Giant Anthem) and I'll probably throw on my LEV dropper post too. At the moment, I have a Schwalbe Rocket Ron (non-snakeskin) on the front and a Conti RaceKing Protection on the rear. This is the setup that I used in Mendocino last weekend and it was great, so I'm thinking I am may just keep it as is for the Puff.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger___ View Post
    Ditto that, favorite all time endurance race. I wish I had enough miles in the legs to make the trip up there. Sometime in the next couple years maybe I will get my 10th finish.
    10th finish! holy crap! You should run it this year! ;-)

jms
    mtbr member

A Few Things Roger Taught Me

Quote Originally Posted by Roger___ View Post

Have fun Ron!
    Show off.

Since Roger's too modest to offer unsolicited advice to you, I'll mention a few things that I learned from him during last year's CCP :

Wear old gloves or make sure there's TP in the Loo when you stop mid race to relieve yourself............ Roger rode the 4 hours w/o gloves.

Don't eat a caffeinated GU every 30 minutes during the race, IIRC something like 28 total during the day, unless you're not planning on sleeping the night after the event .......... Roger was still amped the morning after the race.

And finally, find someone to enjoy the day with, someone like Roger, his company was one of the highlights of my CCP last year, hands down, the funniest guy I've ever raced with.
    My Favorite Peeps:

jms
    mtbr member
    And the results are up for this year's CCP are up.

OBRA: Results: 2013: Cascade Cream Puff 100

Sunday's weather forecast showed Qakridge with a high of 95 degrees. I suspect it was really humid too. Must've been pretty ugly out there.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Evan Plews is crazy.

NONDURO
    Bummer on the DNF, Mr. Shevock!!! What happened???
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by beef supreme View Post
    Evan Plews is crazy.
    hahaha...I am laughing, because at the start of the race on Sunday, we had a neutral rollout behind a pick-up truck for a few hundred meters, then after the truck got out of the way, we had a few miles of highway riding before entering the first singetrack. As soon as the truck got out of the way, Evan went right to the front and started drilling it. About 10 of us piled into line right behind him and we all sat on his wheel between 20 - 25 mph down to the singletrack. When we hit the trail, I was sitting 4th wheel, and Evan starting crushing the trail...the pace was extremely fast. The entire time I'm saying to myself, "we're going to be out here from 9 - 11 hours and Evan is chargin like its a XC race..he must be crazy". Then again, i saw him do basically the same thing in our single speed race at Sea Otter this year....we all fell in behind his wheel on the track to the dirt, he pulled us around, and then he was gone. Crazy perhaps, very talented, definitely.

In the end, he really didn't let up the pace and won CCP under 9.5 hours. The course really was 101 miles and 18,000+ vert.

As for me, I DNF'd after 1 lap. Reasoning = exhaustion. At mile 25, I felt more tired and exhausted than I did after 8 hours of Boggs, or Coolest 8 Hour, or at the end of the Mendocino 100. My head was spinning, and my body never shook the feeling that it had just gotten out of bed. I wasn't close to cramping or anything, my nutrition was fine, and I was not bonking...I was just, tired. Pretty sure i know why, and I'll take care of that for next time, but it was a bummer because this course is simply...amazing. The trails are world class...it's hard to describe the **** eating grin you get when descending through the Land of the Lost like terrain on Tire Mtn. or pretending you're on a speeder bike in Return of the Jedi on the Alpine Trail. And the aid station are many, and well stocked, the volunteers extremely helpful and informed, and the overall organization was top-notch. There is a reason why the CCP has been around for 18 years and I have no doubt it will be around for long time to come. I can't wait to go back and finish it off.

Here's the Strava file for my 1 lap.

And here's a shot of me that someone took while I was descending one of the upper sections of the Alpine Trail.
    2013 Cascade Creampuff - Aug 4th-1010472_10201797384281322_1174355040_n.jpg

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Bummer on the DNF, Mr. Shevock!!! What happened???
    I think we just posted at the same time. See above.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    I think we just posted at the same time. See above.
    Damn dude!!! Bummer about the exhaustion. Better luck in 2014!!!

Dropshot Champ!
    the elevation profile looks like a WALL.

if anything, this will be motivation to get it next year!

mtbr member

Hey Shoelaces, I'm curious if you were planning on racing TS100?
    If so that was a seriously hardcore summer you had planned.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Hey Shoelaces, I'm curious if you were planning on racing TS100?
    If so that was a seriously hardcore summer you had planned.
    Yes. I was already signed up for TS100 and that was my main goal this Summer. I wasn't planning on doing the Creampuff at all...until about a week ago!

mtbr member

That would have been three 100 mile races in what? 8 weeks? That's not much recovery time between events.
    I know you're superhuman, but that's a tough schedule for anybody.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    That would have been three 100 mile races in what? 8 weeks?
    Yes something like that. With enough base miles (done months prior), i don't think it's that much of a stretch.

Feeling as tired as I was at the Puff was mainly due to a lack of sleep in both nights just before it. I slept only an hour or two on Saturday night.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Read through this and wanted to add my bit and give props to my brother. My brother, Jace Ives, won the SS open category on a 29er rigid. The little I've talked to him, said he got within 30sec of Evan but lost time on the last climb. However, he finished at 9:22:52...3min behind Evan.

Great job to all the riders that raced!

jms
    mtbr member

Rematch?

Quote Originally Posted by burl81 View Post
    Read through this and wanted to add my bit and give props to my brother. My brother, Jace Ives, won the SS open category on a 29er rigid. The little I've talked to him, said he got within 30sec of Evan but lost time on the last climb. However, he finished at 9:22:52...3min behind Evan.

Great job to all the riders that raced!
    Errr, there must be some mistake in the results then, no one got within an hour and a half of Plews according to OBRA. CCP on a rigid SS is just flat out brutal, people aren't quite the same afterwards ..... great job!

Ron, if you're looking for a rematch with Oakridge/Plews before next year, you might consider this:

Fat 55 Mountain Bike Marathon

I'm fairly certain he'll be there [there's a sizable winner's purse], and you'll get to race on Heckletooth, Larrison Rock and Larrison Creek trails which are a bit more technical than than the CCP trails [like, somewhat life threatening in the case of Heckletooth]. I'm looking forward to it............. not that I'm going to see Evan beyond, ohh, 200 yards after the start, as he disappears up the road.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    I'm thinking about the CCP next year. Is it a "hardtail" course or is it better to have FS?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Awe shucks, JMS, back at ya...you're a funny guy too...maybe we'll both race next year. We can course sweep.
    Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by burl81 View Post
    yeah there is a mistake in the OBRA results...I'm not sure where they got his 11 hour hour time or whatever it is that they have for him. He was indeed just a few minutes behind Evan. That is damn amazing. Big props to your bro!

Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post

Ron, if you're looking for a rematch with Oakridge/Plews before next year, you might consider this:

Fat 55 Mountain Bike Marathon

I'm fairly certain he'll be there [there's a sizable winner's purse], and you'll get to race on Heckletooth, Larrison Rock and Larrison Creek trails which are a bit more technical than than the CCP trails [like, somewhat life threatening in the case of Heckletooth]. I'm looking forward to it............. not that I'm going to see Evan beyond, ohh, 200 yards after the start, as he disappears up the road.
    Thanks but I think I'm done with endurance racing for the year. Taking a break and looking forward to cross season. I've ridden Heckletooth and all those trails before...not too sure I'd want to actually race on them!

Quote Originally Posted by expatrider View Post
    I'm thinking about the CCP next year. Is it a "hardtail" course or is it better to have FS?
    Can go either way depending on your personal preferences and what you're used to riding as evidenced by Evan winning on a 120 mm FS (Ibis Ripley) and the second place rider just 3 minutes behind him on a rigid singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Really could go either way. However, I wouldn't suggest switching to a rigid just for the race because it's lighter if your not use to it. My bro rides rigid ALL the time, and has for the last four or so years. Even our last Downieville trip he rode rigid and was the first guy down each run. + and - to both.