rj2
    mtbr member

2007 Whiskeytown Classic Race Reports

Vic,

Thanks for another great event.

Just about everyone got away from me on the fireroad start. I was able to pass a few on the first single track climb, and got past a lot more on the first hike a bike. You're then onto the Clear Creek Canal Trail. It's old water flumes turned into buff single track with great berms even a blue hair could love.

The second hike a bike starts with left rocky hairpin turn similar to the one on Saratoga Gap. It continues down to the dry creek bed as a steep, rocky, dusty loose mess. The conga race line crosses the creek diagonally, takes a left turn and continues up to the other side. The A line cuts directly across the creek bed and up the other side, bypassing at least 5 riders when crowded.

More flume trail, followed by a fast gravel road descent, right turn over the Peltier Creek bridge, then the first gut buster climb. Another fast fire road descent, then brake hard before the G-out transition to the second gut buster climb. 1.3 miles, 425 ft., exposed single track, false flat, in a windless canyon.

Now the payoff, a nice long downhill to a short paved section, then more single track to the fire road climb leading to the start/finish.

Vic shortened the 2nd and subsequent laps due to the heat. The forecast was 100, my Polar read 89 during the race.

I came in 3rd (Sport 45-49), behind a Joslyn's rider I met at CCCX and have yet to beat. The guy who won said it was his first race this year. Luckily for me, he's not in the points hunt. I'm somewhere in the top 3 in points.

When I arrived Friday afternoon, I asked Vic if I needed to use the bear lockers for food storage. He said one year he saw a bear watching him as he unloaded his food into the lockers. As we were just about to leave, a black bear came within 200 ft. of our camp. He loitered in the distance for a bit, then was scared away by other riders as he turned toward us.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Busted!!!
    Good Job! I had a good time at this event as well. I raced the Sport 25-29Class. It was my second race, and alot more normal than a Downieville experience, I think.

Team Bigfoot definitly puts on a good event. Great people, and very well ran. The best part is everything is kept very simple, and low key. I look forward to doing more races that they put on, maybe the 24 hour later this year

As stated before, this was my second race ever, and being Downieville XC was my first, I didnt really know what to expect. It was a little scary seeing most of the riders on hardtails or short travel lightweight XC race rigs. I know it would be pretty smooth, but the Nomad is the only bike Ive got. But it didnt really mean much in the end. I also had never ridden in the Whiskeytown area. I had studied the maps and had a nice ride planned, but just never got a chance to get over there before the event. The trails were alot different than what I get to ride on a regualr basis. Bidwell Park in chico is mostly Rough Rocks and hardpack. These trails were smooth, and loose at times. The small sand washes could really get you if you werent prepared. The back section rj2 described as "...exposed single track, false flat, in a windless canyon" couldnt be more true. I kept thinking, this isnt that steep, why do I keep Downshifting? And the windless part was like chinese water torture, I swore I breathed the same air for every breath, and you had to smell the sweat of every rider you were near. The second lap was much more pleasant back there.

Having not been around the race scene much, I was amazed to see so many flatted riders on the trail, I cant understand why so many wouldnt run tubeless if this is the case. I gave my tube away in the stinky canyon to some poor guy who was on flat #2, on the second lap.

The second lap was definitly more comfortable than the first, I knew the route and could plan out where to push and where to save. The Nomad proved worth its extra weight on the last downhill section, as there were 3 guys I had passed at the top of the previous climb pretly close behind till it got rough. The lower end of the downhill gets rocky and loose, then really "Rooty", I was able to keep it pinned and when I got across the last bridge, there was no longer anyone in sight behind me.

Thanks Again to Vic and Team Bigfoot for a great event. See you guys again Soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Whiskeytown is the best course. I never leave without some sort of pain.

Two years ago I rolled in the poison oak on the old course with the crazy downhill switchbacks

Last year the rains brought the PO out into the course to meet you. two more weeks of itching. But I still come back.

This year I was the idiot that crashed on Buck Hollow preriding (Never race a bike you got the night before. I have to keep repeating that to myself). Lined up for the race with a knee that looked like a cherry pie and ever tightening leg and shoulder muscles. But last place series points is still series points. Haven't seen any PO effects yet, but I am sure I will.

Next year Nevagals and Tec Nu.

Oh and last year we shared a camp site with a bobcat. About the size of a pitbull, but somehow seemed cooler.

2012 Race: April 28th!
    I didn't see much poison oak at all, it seems to have dried up early this year. The sand washes are the result of 6 inches of rain in 2 days we got in July. That storm also rutted up Buck Hollow, but I thought it had a nice line thru it on race day. Although I love Buck Hollow, I think Vic made a wise choice in eliminating that loop for laps 2 & 3. It was warm, but not unmercifully hot as I expected. I'm guessing the smoke kept it from heating up too quickly.

I had a pretty good race. I'd been feeling kinda punk all week so I decided not to press too hard my first lap, especially since I would be riding 3 laps. The gun went off and the lead pack went away like bullets, just like they always do. I settled into my pace and passed a few guys just before Buck Hollow. I know that trail pretty well and it showed 'cuz I passed 3 people in that section alone ( don't really excel on the more tech stuff). I passed a guy in one of the dry creekbeds and pedaled all the way up the first "hike-a-bike" section. I'd ridden that hill in my warm up, but expected to be forced off my bike by walkers. So I pedaled onto the wheel of a ss'er and ate his dust in the Canal Trail until he let me by after a few minutes. After that it was fun cruising the rest of lap 1 and all of lap 2. I started to cramp at the beginning of lap 3, so had to back off even more to be able to finish without stopping. All in all, an ok effort. The part I find most encouraging is that the time gaps between me and guys who have always been a lot faster than me seem to be getting smaller! Now if I can just solve this cramping thing!

Thanks again for a good race Vic! The next race on my schedule is the Humboldt Hoedown in Arcata. I'm guessing 2 laps for sport & 3 for experts?
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for the reports guys.

Does anybody know if this is to be the same course for the upcoming Whiskeytown 9 to 5 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    Thanks for the reports guys.

Does anybody know if this is to be the same course for the upcoming Whiskeytown 9 to 5 ?
    Its a different course, sort of the Classic Course in reverse. The 9-5 starts at NEED Camp which is located at the bottom of the last downhill on the Classic course. You ride in the reverse direction, up the fun downhill, turn right into the singletrack we rode up (Logging Camp trail on the park's maps). Continue riding the Classic course backwards, across the pavement, to the point where the Canal Trail goes right. The 9-5 goes straight, uphill on the Mt Shasta Mine trail to Muletown Rd to Buck Hollow When you exit Buck Hollow follow the fire road past the steep trail uphill the Classic used, to a t. Turn left and you'll pass the Classic start/finish area down to the little singletrack on the left (Classic used it the other way), pops out at the NEED Camp bridge, then pavement a short way to NEED Camp.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

rj2
    mtbr member

Post your pictures

The on-premises photo booth was a great idea. I purchased a CD with two images for $15.90. They were still around when the bear showed, I'll ask them if they have any other bear pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We take care of your technology needs so you can focus on what's important.

XC rider

MX Thanks for the tube! I owe you a 6 pack. If your ever in Fresno and want to ride check out CCORC.com. I have the same screen name on the club forum.

Quote Originally Posted by mxracer33x
    Good Job! I had a good time at this event as well. I raced the Sport 25-29Class. It was my second race, and alot more normal than a Downieville experience, I think.

Team Bigfoot definitly puts on a good event. Great people, and very well ran. The best part is everything is kept very simple, and low key. I look forward to doing more races that they put on, maybe the 24 hour later this year

As stated before, this was my second race ever, and being Downieville XC was my first, I didnt really know what to expect. It was a little scary seeing most of the riders on hardtails or short travel lightweight XC race rigs. I know it would be pretty smooth, but the Nomad is the only bike Ive got. But it didnt really mean much in the end. I also had never ridden in the Whiskeytown area. I had studied the maps and had a nice ride planned, but just never got a chance to get over there before the event. The trails were alot different than what I get to ride on a regualr basis. Bidwell Park in chico is mostly Rough Rocks and hardpack. These trails were smooth, and loose at times. The small sand washes could really get you if you werent prepared. The back section rj2 described as "...exposed single track, false flat, in a windless canyon" couldnt be more true. I kept thinking, this isnt that steep, why do I keep Downshifting? And the windless part was like chinese water torture, I swore I breathed the same air for every breath, and you had to smell the sweat of every rider you were near. The second lap was much more pleasant back there.

Having not been around the race scene much, I was amazed to see so many flatted riders on the trail, I cant understand why so many wouldnt run tubeless if this is the case. I gave my tube away in the stinky canyon to some poor guy who was on flat #2, on the second lap.

The second lap was definitly more comfortable than the first, I knew the route and could plan out where to push and where to save. The Nomad proved worth its extra weight on the last downhill section, as there were 3 guys I had passed at the top of the previous climb pretly close behind till it got rough. The lower end of the downhill gets rocky and loose, then really "Rooty", I was able to keep it pinned and when I got across the last bridge, there was no longer anyone in sight behind me.

Thanks Again to Vic and Team Bigfoot for a great event. See you guys again Soon.
    ccorc.org

Quote Originally Posted by rj2
    The on-premises photo booth was a great idea. I purchased a CD with two images for $15.90. They were still around when the bear showed, I'll ask them if they have any other bear pictures
    I liked their concept too. I spoke with them about coming to Lemurian and we agreed to pursue it. Here's a link to their site http://www.studioaproductions.com/ but no Whiskeytown pics are up as of Monday @ 5:30pm
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Busted!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaboot

MX Thanks for the tube! I owe you a 6 pack. If your ever in Fresno and want to ride check out CCORC.com. I have the same screen name on the club forum.
    No problem at all. Glad I could Help. I swear by my tubeless setup, and will always carry a tube to give away if it means I stay flat free.

If I ever get a chance to get down that way I will definitly look you guys up. Thanks for the offer!