Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2003 Epic Rebuild

851 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  cmdrpiffle 
#1 ·
Let me know what you guys think. The project took a little over 1 month. It was a fun build and have to thank my buddy Racerick for building it. The wheels aren't mine but should be coming in next week. I'm going to race for the first time this weekend and can't wait.

Question for other Epic riders: What PSI/rebound settings are you running for the rear shox? I think right now I have it at 90 with 2 clicks from the fastest rebound. The O ring is telling me I'm getting full travel. I'm hoping/searching for more of an active system. Do I put more air? Slower Rebound?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I take it the black paint and v-brakes were the original setup? I like polished look too, looks sweet! What fork is on the front? Makes me want to build another bike again. I just finished my '03 Trek Liquid 20. It's heavier than most new bikes, but I bought just the frame and built it up from there. That was my budget build. I want to build an epic soon. Soo yeah, The bike looks great.

#3 ·
Thanks cmw442. The bike did come in black with v brakes. The paint was pretty beat up so the minute I saw it I knew we were going to strip it. I had seen some other polished bikes and really liked the idea. I'm real happy with the way it looks. The front fork is a new 2007 Reba SL. Definetely a budget build for me. Those are just loaner wheels for now.

#4 ·
I saw another post of yours about stripping the paint, but no one replied. How did you get it polished, or did you take it to a professional?

This is my recently finished project, besides paint. It started with the frame(which still had the Fox TALAS rear shock), then:

-Race Face Dues XC seatpost and headset.
-Avid Juicy 5's
-LX shifters, front and rear derailleurs, and crankset.
-sram 950 cassette(I wish I had the cassette on your bike. Is it a sram 990?)
-Marzocchi 44 120mm front fork
-WTB: dual duty rims and saddle.
-ODI rogue lock on grips(I highly recommend these unless you like thinner grips, cuz these are a little thicker)

It came to a little over $1k. Pretty good deal considering the bike was $2300 brand new with lower end parts.

Just thought I'd share, cuz it's fun building these. Well, more of an addiction.

Attachments

#5 ·
cmw442, That's a sweet rebuild. I've always liked treks and my first two bikes were treks. I just wish I could afford one of the newer Fuel models. I myself just came from a 1995 Klein Pulse HT. Spent the last year fixing it up and trying to get it more modern. It started to become a money pit "but" man that bike could climb.... I'm selling it now and hate to see it go.

1) Stripped with Jasco and polished it with Mothers
2) Brand new 2007 Reba SL (Freakin sweet considering I just came off a Manitou 3 - LOL)
3) Chris King Soto Headset
4) Carbon Specialized Seatpost
5) SLR Saddle
6) XT M765 Disc Brakes - I wish I could afford the M775
7) Sram 990 cassette
8) Wheels (not pictured) Mavic 717 Disc laced to XT Centerlock, Alloy nipples, and Supercomp spokes built from BBW
9) XTR Chain
10) XTR Shifter Cables
11) Sram Attack Grip Shift (I'm still old school)
12) Race Face Deus 95mm 6 deg stem w/ Race Face Ride XC Bars (these will be changed soon to Thomson 90mm 0 deg w/ Carbon Bar)
13) ESI Chunky Grips that work perfectly with the grip shift

Total cost of this rebuild (including selling off old parts) about $1k.

#6 ·
Ahh, I have yet to do the selling off part for both my bikes and now have $600 worth for perfectly useful parts here. Thanks for reminding me, I gotta get on that. I thought that was a sram 990 cassette. They have that really cool anodized spider inside. You didn't like the stem, or just wanna shave off a couple more grams? Lemme know when you wanna get rid of that stem, cuz I ride an easton 90mm right now and the 2 bolt pattern makes me nervous sometimes. Is diablo tough to get up? I've lived at the foothills of it for 16 years and never thought about riding up it till now.

#7 ·
My first attempt at Mitchell Canyon was a complete failure. Didn't even make it up to Deer Flat. Just kept trying and trying and can now say that I'm addicted. Every time I get to the trailhead "It's On" and try and go for PR. Some days good some days bad. If you want to ever ride, come meet us. We are on the Clayton side? Where do you live?

#8 ·
just wow

I could go on and on, but we have pretty much identical bikes. Mine's an 03, which I stripped with jasco and polished, reba on the front ... cool to see someone else like the look.

anyway, if you're getting full travel on 90 psi, and it's unloading fast enough on 2 clicks, I'd leave it. Mine varies from 90-100 depending on my mood and I think I run it 2 or 3 clicks from fastest rebound.

Cheers

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.