Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

20 and 40 under club !

Starting as of today the game is on. Looking for sub 20's to the tree and sub 40 minutes to the top of Kennedy from the potty on both runs. Combine both or do one or the other. Who's in ? No previous times allowed. Yup....get out and do it again. Post up your times here even if they are over the time limit. ElHombre's 20-40-20 plan might as well be on here also for those who can never get enough! Hike a bike is acceptable as per race rules. Strava and computer/stopwatch also OK. Good luck ! ... and I hope there is something for everyone here. ******** 20-40-20 plan ********
    Since this is all about senseless stupid climbing, I think the challenge could be expanded a bit: I propose the 20-40-20 plan: the goal is to hit sub-20 to the tree, sub-40 to the top, then sub-20 on the Dog Meat climb (after you've gone up the rollers and descended Limekiln, of course), in a single ride. I may have to go hide some choice bottles of beer on the summit as reward/carrots for prospective finishers... -ElHombre
    Last edited by ancient rascal; 11-01-2011 at 09:14 AM.
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

mtbr member
    Ah Christ! Here we go folks. The gauntlet has been thrown down. Under 20 to the tree will be tough for me. Not sure I can do that and then continue to a sub 40 to the top. I can see my self exploding and even having to stop. However, I might try a sub 20 to the tree. I might even try to stay in my middle ring and my 30 tooth cog on the rear. Did this on Mission Peak Stanford side and it was harder but our pace was somewhat social and that helped. I would have to shave off almost 2 mins to the tree- holy carp batman! Might give it a go this coming midweek. Wed or thurs morning.
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    Ah Christ! Here we go folks. The gauntlet has been thrown down. Under 20 to the tree will be tough for me. Not sure I can do that and then continue to a sub 40 to the top. I can see my self exploding and even having to stop. However, I might try a sub 20 to the tree. I might even try to stay in my middle ring and my 30 tooth cog on the rear. Did this on Mission Peak Stanford side and it was harder but our pace was somewhat social and that helped. I would have to shave off almost 2 mins to the tree- holy carp batman! Might give it a go this coming midweek. Wed or thurs morning.
    I will expect....heck... demand to see all the cleaned dogmeat boys show up here. Except maybe me ? I am claiming the...... "ThrownGauntlet".....MTBR exemption clause on this ?

mtbr member
    Jinkies. Make it to tree in under 20 and you can walk the rest to make 40. I'm in and not looking forward to a single moment of it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    You people have issues. Is this the boredom that comes from fatherhood, old age, or married life?

mtbr member
    Hopefully I can put myself and the bike on a diet! I will take a few grams off my sled with these boys to give myself a fighting chance at making the list. 20 and 40 under club !-1015111353a.jpg

Hipster
    I managed a 39:01 to the top with a 22:21 to the tree a few days ago.. I'm a better finisher than starter! A sub 20 to the tree would hurt for sure! We need to do a relay with 2 or 3 riders. Potty to tree, tree to walls, and a sprinter for the walls at the finish. Time in the upper 20's possible?

-Marco

mtbr member
    Yeah Marco would be cool and I am sure we'd be faster than many. You could even be waiting at the tree warming up when the first rider arrives, then pin it to the base of the walls, then meet the third guy for an all out cardiac assault of the walls! Even with that we might not beat Menso's time of 27 and change!

Ancient, I have used those tires before and they are great on hardpacked stuff. Hopefully they will help you. I know you can do it even on the SS!!!

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    I'm so out of this club. I might have to make a trip up Kennedy to get my failtastic time recorded again. Baby raising has made me all slow and fat.

And its been like two years form the last time i rode up that biznatch of a hill.

mtbr member
    TJ- I remember riding this with you once and you pulled away from me near the end and I ended up with just under 50 mins and was super happy. That was about 7-8 years ago I think. Crazy how times slips by. You'll get back out there and be kicking it in no time. Baby raising does that to us all.

mtbr member
    Yeah Marco would be cool and I am sure we'd be faster than many. You could even be waiting at the tree warming up when the first rider arrives, then pin it to the base of the walls, then meet the third guy for an all out cardiac assault of the walls! Even with that we might not beat Menso's time of 27 and change!

Ancient, I have used those tires before and they are great on hardpacked stuff. Hopefully they will help you. I know you can do it even on the SS!!!
    Thanks for the encouragement !...I have come close to both the 20 and the 40 but when you get your times down close to your limits ..... even shaving 30 seconds off a PR can be hard. Looking at Strava specs you posted a day ago I guess the sub 40 is a bit tougher than I thought it was.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    TJ- I remember riding this with you once and you pulled away from me near the end and I ended up with just under 50 mins and was super happy. That was about 7-8 years ago I think. Crazy how times slips by. You'll get back out there and be kicking it in no time. Baby raising does that to us all.
    I think that was 3 years ago.

my decline has been rapid... work + school + baby

I'm gonna hit that up next week after work fosho.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mboldt View Post
    I managed a 39:01 to the top with a 22:21 to the tree a few days ago.. I'm a better finisher than starter! A sub 20 to the tree would hurt for sure! We need to do a relay with 2 or 3 riders. Potty to tree, tree to walls, and a sprinter for the walls at the finish. Time in the upper 20's possible?

-Marco
    Serious Biz Marco ! Nice yank.....getting a 39 to the top. 17 or 18 something to the tree sounds like a given for you ?

PRETENDURO

-Marco
    Count me in for the wall sections. Ill even do em on singlespeed.

My best time from the potty to the tree was 22:41 (I think it was on the Mensocycle), and my best time to the top was 43:06 (also on the Mensocycle), so all I need to do I suppose is keep hammering on the heavy-assed singlespeed over and over and over again, and then do a crazy-ass sprint on the much lighter weight Mensocycle for the sub 20/40 gold. Problem for me now is that having a job is getting in the way.

But actually, itd be nice to be this capable again before the Turkey Day ride up Kennedy.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    it's threads like this that makes me happy i live in santa cruz county....

y'all are nutzo....

srsly...

Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    it's threads like this that makes me happy i live in santa cruz county....

y'all are nutzo....

srsly...

Yup we can always count on Squashy to start something up. Here's what got the ball rolling this time. Under 40 minz on Kennedy tips The last thing I can remember is drinking cup 12 of Peet's and getting on MTBR before I headed out to Kennedy this morning.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    Starting as of today the game is on. Looking for sub 20's to the tree and sub 40 minutes to the top of Kennedy from the potty on both runs. Combine both or do one or the other. Who's in ? No previous times allowed. Yup....get out and do it again. Post up your times here even if they are over the time limit.

Francine where you be?
    Yes, Monday and Tuesday are now no longer weekdays. Trust me. LP.
    No Rep/No Problem
    Banned For Boobies WTF?
    Don't PM Me.

VRC Illuminati
    Since I started using Strava, 28:13 to the tree, 49:28 to the top. I have a sub 44 PR from a Kings of Kennedy from a few years ago.

I gots work to do.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

roadie

-Marco

hmm, we create a mythical strava user and pass the gps baton on the way up? that might be kinda fun, but it would probably take more than 2 or 3 of us.

and 20 is tougher than 40 imo.

swag ho Administrator
    It looks like if you get to the tree by 20, you get to the top by 35.

tree - kennedy potty to tree
    top - Kennedy Fire Road Trail (RD entrance to

fc
    Last edited by francois; 10-15-2011 at 10:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    It looks like if you get to the tree by 20, you get to the top by 35.

tree - kennedy potty to tree
    top - Kennedy Fire Road Trail (RD entrance to

fc
    au contraire my friend. I personally have come within 38 seconds of getting under the 20 to the tree. But......There is no way I will be doing a 35 to the top. If I train and get lucky ... 39 something may happen but that will prolly be it for me. Brazilian climber can easily do sub 20 and do 35 ish or less to the top. Your formula will work for some though of course. 20/40 is a good spot for the semi tough.... eh ? Kind of cat 2 ish in a sense.

swag ho Administrator
    au contraire my friend. I personally have come within 38 seconds of getting under the 20 to the tree. But......There is no way I will be doing a 35 to the top. If I train and get lucky ... 39 something may happen but that will prolly be it for me. Brazilian climber can easily do sub 20 and do 35 ish or less to the top. Your formula will work for some though of course. 20/40 is a good spot for the semi tough.... eh ? Kind of cat 2 ish in a sense.
    That may be because you're going at a pace that you can not sustain to the top. If you look at the strava for everybody, only a few people under 20 and about the same under 35

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I tried it on my single speed 29er yesterday 34/19 gearing. I completely blew up, I even tried to take it easy on some of the climbs its just so long and relentless single speed sucks. You can almost never sit and its back to back brutal power sprints that just blow you up. I ended up walking more than a few sections just to stop my heart from trying to jump out of my chest but managed 21:50 to the tree and 40:36 all the way up with quite a bit of walking. Now I have a challenge to finish this climb with my current gearing no breaks no walking. I have done it on a 26er with 32/16 gearing and 29er with 32/20 gearing but this 34/19 is something else.

Chris

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitWienie View Post
    I tried it on my single speed 29er yesterday 34/19 gearing. I completely blew up, I even tried to take it easy on some of the climbs its just so long and relentless single speed sucks. You can almost never sit and its back to back brutal power sprints that just blow you up. I ended up walking more than a few sections just to stop my heart from trying to jump out of my chest but managed 21:50 to the tree and 40:36 all the way up with quite a bit of walking. Now I have a challenge to finish this climb with my current gearing no breaks no walking. I have done it on a 26er with 32/16 gearing and 29er with 32/20 gearing but this 34/19 is something else.

Chris
    Nice job Chris! Man you had the sub 40 in your hand. I also do the SS thing and will say I feel your pain. I run a 26er with 32x19 up Kennedy all the time. One more run and you will break the 40. If you knew you were gonna be that close you would have pushed it more and made a sub 40.....eh ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Nice job Chris! Man you had the sub 40 in your hand. I also do the SS thing and will say I feel your pain. I run a 26er with 32x19 up Kennedy all the time. One more run and you will break the 40. If you knew you were gonna be that close you would have pushed it more and made a sub 40.....eh ?
    Thanks... I did 37 earlier this year but with gears. I haven't timed myself on the SS yet until yesterday. I knew as soon as I blew up about 1/3 of the way up and had to walk for a little it was over. Contemplated turning around a few times and heading back down but figured I should finish the climb even if I had to walk a few sections really didn't care about time at that point. hahaha.

Chris

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast