Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    Ah Christ! Here we go folks. The gauntlet has been thrown down. Under 20 to the tree will be tough for me. Not sure I can do that and then continue to a sub 40 to the top. I can see my self exploding and even having to stop. However, I might try a sub 20 to the tree. I might even try to stay in my middle ring and my 30 tooth cog on the rear. Did this on Mission Peak Stanford side and it was harder but our pace was somewhat social and that helped. I would have to shave off almost 2 mins to the tree- holy carp batman! Might give it a go this coming midweek. Wed or thurs morning.
    OK... Paul has thrown it down then. Sub 20 to the tree is job # 1 for me too. I will give it a go soon. You will make it quickly if you treat it as the end of the trial/race for that run. You can spend it all on the sprint in those 20......or sub 20 minutes. I tried it maybe 15 or 20 times ...... close but no cigar. You are a bit stronger than I am and I predict a sub 20 for you before the Turkey day ride and hopefully I can do it also. HTFU/MTFU Andy R would say !
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Greetings from Team RoadBikeReview!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ukbloke View Post

Daeeeeeeumn! Owned it!

swag ho Administrator
    You beat my potty by 1 second?

You know there's going to be hell to pay right?

The trainer comes out tonight

fc

Hipster

Bonking ... not feelin' well This isn't going to be easy!

20:56

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mboldt View Post

Heck if it was easy.....anyone could do it ! Last one I tried was in February this year. My PR @ 20.38 with a stopwatch on my wristwatch. Loads of 21 somethings and a 20.58. Just doing the 5% faster needed to go sub 20 stopped me. I want it before 2012 ! Thanks for posting it up and go get it before the Turkey day ride !

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    I'll see you all in this club if i drop 40 lbs and ride anything but my chameleon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    You beat my potty by 1 second?

You know there's going to be hell to pay right?
    Yeah, I had that 20 in the bag and thought it would be funnier to wait before the tree and beat you by just the 1 second.

Well, maybe I could have done 20 to the tree today, but would have had nothing left for the rest. I think 20 to the tree seems pretty comparable in terms of overall effort to 20 on Old La Honda, so if you can do one you should be able to do the other. Of course they're totally different rides.

Actually, it was harder than I thought it would be. I aimed to do 20 and 35, and had distances and target average speeds taped to the bar to know what I needed to do. I've only been on Kennedy once before and that was in the rain/mist in March, so wasn't too sure of where the split would be. I think to hit 35 you have to be sub-20 at the tree. On the best day possible in a race scenario, I might conceivably be able to do both. It might take a new bike though rather than my vintage Stumpjumper. And 40 is definitely easier than 20 for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    I'll see you all in this club if i drop 40 lbs and ride anything but my chameleon.
    Well.....Your friend pmarshall will be on this thread soon and hopefully LP will break out the Mensocycle and play along too.

mtbr member
    I am having some serious doubts that I can do it. UKBloke is a fast rider and he missed by 40 secs- Good job UK though on your 37 min time! I think that I am going to just have to pin it the entire time and hope to god I can recover in certain spots enough to make it. Depending on how I feel when I get to the tree, I might continue on or I might just lay down and let the Mt Lions eat me. I know the sub 40 is possible. I have done it a few times and got 40 min on the nose when I went at night. I will try but I am not anything special so get your expectations low! Just like the one trait you look for in a good woman, low standards! I think tomorrow might be the day to give it a go. The one thing that sucks is that I usually have to wait till the wife comes home before I can upload. I will also use my stopwatch and give you guys a presumptive time followed by the Strava link when I can. I know this competition is dumb, I got that going for me anyway.
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    I am having some serious doubts that I can do it. UKBloke is a fast rider and he missed by 40 secs- Good job UK though on your 37 min time! I think that I am going to just have to pin it the entire time and hope to god I can recover in certain spots enough to make it. Depending on how I feel when I get to the tree, I might continue on or I might just lay down and let the Mt Lions eat me. I know the sub 40 is possible. I have done it a few times and got 40 min on the nose when I went at night. I will try but I am not anything special so get your expectations low! Just like the one trait you look for in a good woman, low standards! I think tomorrow might be the day to give it a go. The one thing that sucks is that I usually have to wait till the wife comes home before I can upload. I will also use my stopwatch and give you guys a presumptive time followed by the Strava link when I can. I know this competition is dumb, I got that going for me anyway.
    Funny you should mention the lay down at the tree. Brazilian climber was doing that at the tree when we were going for times early this year. He would put down his bike and lay flat on the trail. I kept sayin.....Dude the deer hang out here ... your gonna get ticks. I won't have him as my rabbit on these next runs. I am taking a swing at the tree this week also. Good Luck -AR

swag ho Administrator
    Just one question... Is this considered a trail ride or a road ride?

I'm not going during hero dirt season. Nope.

fc

yohyatt
    Mar 2009

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Those tires look fun to ride

Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    Hopefully I can put myself and the bike on a diet! I will take a few grams off my sled with these boys to give myself a fighting chance at making the list. Attachment 646829

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Just one question... Is this considered a trail ride or a road ride?
    I've never heard it called a fire trail. (Well, maybe an Aussie might call it that.)

I'm just trying to extend my Low-Key form with something slightly different.

I'm not going during hero dirt season. Nope.
    I'll interpret that as acquiescence.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The worst part of Kennedy for me is actually after the initial downhill and after where it goes up easy for a while, and then all of a sudden it gets really steep with two humps back to back. Do you guys attack immediately after the downhill or do you pump steady til you hit the this section?

swag ho Administrator
    I've never heard it called a fire trail. (Well, maybe an Aussie might call it that.)

I'm just trying to extend my Low-Key form with something slightly different.

What bike did you use UK?

fc

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Not for me, my best time is with a steady consistent effort from the bottom to the top. I make sure not to back off on the initial flats, but do take a breather on the downhill. Everything else is a steady measured pace to hit my goal. The only "attack" would be the final 100 yards to reach the end and then collapse in a heap.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mboldt View Post

This isn't going to be easy.
    Oh, it's going to be that way huh.... Climb to the tree then go home...

fc

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I am assuming "The Tree" is the flat covered section about halfway up?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    What bike did you use UK?
    Err, good point. Actually I used the kiddie-tow "road" bike, though this time I removed the trailer (and the child):

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ebnash View Post
    I am assuming "The Tree" is the flat covered section about halfway up?
    I was wondering about that too, wondering which of the many possible trees they could be talking about. But it is blindingly obvious when you get there - the tree is in the middle of the trail! It is flat for a moment and covered.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    The worst part of Kennedy for me is actually after the initial downhill and after where it goes up easy for a while, and then all of a sudden it gets really steep with two humps back to back. Do you guys attack immediately after the downhill or do you pump steady til you hit the this section?
    Listen to Menso. He climbed it in 27 minutes.

In the end though, you have to climb it 10x and listen to your body.

fc

swag ho Administrator
    Err, good point. Actually I used the kiddie-tow "road" bike, though this time I removed the trailer (and the child):
    Darn video... you have a trailer and I'm having a hard time keeping up.

fc

swag ho Administrator
    Well, maybe I could have done 20 to the tree today, but would have had nothing left for the rest. I think 20 to the tree seems pretty comparable in terms of overall effort to 20 on Old La Honda, so if you can do one you should be able to do the other. Of course they're totally different rides.

Clearly not a mountain biker based on vocabulary and data overload.

fc

mtbr member
    Clearly not a mountain biker based on vocabulary and data overload.

fc
    + 1 ........ Are you going to ban him ..... or do we have Chum do it ? ... Congrats on some fine riding Ukbloke. You have put francois...."Round the bend" so to speak ! ....

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast