mtbr member

2 Wheeler success!!

I just had to share that my 7 year old daughter just rode her bike for the first time today!! We tried training wheels and I would never suggest those ever. Then we took the training wheels, cranks and pedals off a barbie bike and tossed them. Within 10 mins of doing this, her balance had improved significantly and had her feet up. She used it as a strider style bike for about the last month. Then today I suggested she try her other bike and just practice gliding. She did one quick warm up and then without warning started to pedal. Her eyes became saucers and we were non stop from that point on. Had one small fall with no tears and right back on riding. Maybe some of you have had similar experiences but with my daughter, it has to be on her time. I never pushed and I think that contributed somewhat. No more resting on the couch for me. Good day to be a dad for me.

Paul
    They never made the "Slowster"

Totally, and to the max.
    Awesome, Paul! That is totally cool. You did it right and were patient. Good job. I'm sure all that apprehension of hers has been replaced with excitement for a newfound skill.

PRETENDURO
    Always a welcomed and awesome accomplishment. We made the mistake of starting our oldest son out with training wheels at age 4. He had just turned 5 when he was able to ride without them on his bike. Our youngest (turns 5 at the end of this month) however, we refused to use training wheels. Bought one of those dinky-ass 12.5" wheeled "BMX" bikes off Craigslist for $10, removed the training wheels and pedals/cranks, and set him up in balance bike mode—this was not too long after he turned 3, and about 3 months later he was good enough to put the pedals/cranks back on, and now he is unstoppable!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

We got our son a Skuut balance bike (the plywood one) before he was large enough to straddle it. His interest was off-and-on for riding it, and as he grew he was more interested in riding in a Wee-Ride, then on a trail-a-bike, then on the back of a Big Dummy, than pedaling himself.

Meanwhile we'd inherited a 20" Schwinn Mini-Mesa and it looked like it would be way too large for him to learn to ride.

While waiting for him to get big enough for the Mini-Mesa, I bought a 16" bike from Performance. With his experience on the balance bike (knowing to lean to turn), training wheels weren't necessary (we tried it, and he was up in the air at the first turn), and a couple minutes after the training wheels were removed he was riding on his own.

Now with about two hours of seat time over the last couple weeks, I think he's ready to move to the 20" bike. It's still too big to flat foot it while seated, but I think he'll figure that out fast enough. I'm still leery that he has tunnel vision and is going to ride into something (and will do so a lot faster with gears), but I guess I survived as a kid, and we didn't have helmets back then.

So my advice is the same as a lot of others have offered; Skuut-like bike to get the idea, then an appropriately sized pedal bike without the training wheels as soon as they're interested. Our second son (3yo) is just large enough for the Skuut now, and I expect he'll be on the 16" bike by the end of the year (and maybe sooner once he sees his brother has free'd it up).

swag ho Administrator
    Training wheels are the worst training tools in the history of man.

fc

swag ho Administrator
    So I have two of these Go Glider bikes http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/kids/g...6_6179crx.aspx, and my friend has had it for months.

I asked him if his daughters learned on it and he said 'No, they haven't used it cause it hurts his back.'

Well, I'll be a fig newton. He was using it like a normal bike and holding the bike up and pushing while his daughter rode. Man, I didn't know I had to give him instructions. But live and learn.

Damn. He's on the right track now and his kids should balance soon.

fc

mtbr member
    That is funny a little bit. Yeah the point is if they start to fall over, they just put their feet out. My daughter was calling and telling her grandparents about how she learned and she said this, "Daddy took my barbie bike and took the training wheels, pedals and the things that hold the pedals and threw them in the garbage. Then he made the bike small (put seat all the way down) and I was riding in a minute." She is so proud that yesterday even in the rain, she rode for about an hour. This was my Christmas present to her and now she is riding it. She told me, "Daddy, this is the coolest bike ever!"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2 Wheeler success!!-dsc_2370.jpg  

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Very cool. Good job dad!
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    I have an awesome Barbie bike for you when your lil one is ready. I guess that will be a few years huh? I also have a trail-a-bike too that will need a home. I got it free and will pass it on for somebody else to use.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    SAHWEET!

it is FUN to ride around with your kiddo! My son has been riding for almost 2 months and has me pedaling all over the place....daily....
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct