dcubed

1st week of July. Tahoe

I will be in Tahoe the first week of July (2nd - 6th)

My plan,
    Flume trail
    Mt. Rose to Spooner
    a Day at Northstar.
    **(I will do the parking lot shuttles for flume and mt rose, to save time, (ride in the morning, family fun after)

Any other suggestions, and anyone going to be there? maybe something on the west side?
    Like a nice XC trail I can ride from the cabin I am staying at? (staying in southlake, by the water, not far from the 50 "Y")

Last year, before I rediscovered mtb, I woke up and roadied up the west side of the lake every morning. I am not so into pavement or cars latley
    [SIZE="1"]Delta Dirt Dogs[/SIZE]

My photos

Dusto
    Mr. Toad's Wild Ride! I lived there for a long time and that was my favorite besides Chinese Downhill. But I think Chinese Downhill is closed.

mtbr member

South Lake Tahoe rides per Adventure Maps Inc.

Powerline Trail out and back or loop- 14 miles, aerobic moderate, 1.5 -3 hrs, technically intermediate. Trailhead: Pioneer Trail Rd near hwy 50 to Oneidas Rd to FS 1201 and park at one of the paved pullouts OR park at the top of Ski Run Blvd and catch the trail at the end of Saddle Road and ride in the opposite direction. Highlights: Good training ride with views of Lake Tahoe and Freel Peak, fun and varried sections.

Gun Tower Trail- 11 miles, easy to moderate aerobic, 1-2 hrs, technically easy. Trailhead: 1/2 mile past Myers on hwy 50 at the gun tower on the north side of hwy 50 before the steep climb up towards Echo Summit. Follow the trail NW (left) along the base of Flagpole Peak. Highlights: Fun easier single track close to town.

Angora Lake Road out and back- 5.6 miles, 30 min-2 hrs, moderate aerobic, technically easy. Trailhead: North on hwy89 to Fallen Leaf Road, turn left to Tahoe Mtn Road, go left uphill reaching Angora Ridge Road and park. Highlights: Overlooks Fallen Leaf lake, Angora Lakes are at the top. Note: Watch for hikers

Tahoe Mountain Loop- 5.8 miles, aerobic moderate, 1-2 hrs, tech. intermediate. Trailhead: Hwy 89 to Fallen Leaf Road begin at the gate on the left side of the road approx. 1/4 mi. from hwy 89. Ride beyond the gate and look for the double track to the right. Highlights: Nice views, fun and easily accessible ride. Note: Look for horses.

Fallen Leaf Lake/Taylor Creek Loop- distance varies, 30 min to 2 hrs, easy aerobic, tech easy to intermediate. Trailhead: Taylor Creek snowpark, 1/2 mi. west of Fallen Leaf Lake Road , turn left and park at Taylor Creek snowpark or park on Fallen Leaf Lake Road just past the campground and take trails (stay right on trails to avoid arduous and technical climb) Highlights: Aspen stands, historic structures and Fallen Leaf Lake. Note: look for hikers and horses.

There is no bike riding in the west side of Tahoe (Desolation Wilderness). You should hit up Mr. Toads wild ride on your downhill rig. You can start at Big Meadow (past Meyers on hwy 89 and take the Tahoe Rim Trail approx 5 mi. to Saxon Creek Trail aka Mr. Toads. You will need a shuttle back to the car at Big Meadow.
    "Time won't leave me as I am "

mtbr member

some suggestions

Just got back from SLT and will be there the week before you go. Find Oneidas RD off of Pioneer Trail. The bottom of Mr.Toad's is on it. Corral Trail starts 3 paved miles up this road and is an excellent loop ride, especially on the first day up there.
    Also, you probably are thinking you have to do the Flume trail but for my money doing the Rim trail north from Kingsbury Grade is a much better ride...all single track...some fun rocks to go over... and views that are just as good. The ride to the high point and back is 14 miles. It's worth doing, just ask at a bike shop for exact directions. My favorite is Sierra Cycle Works next to the Safeway store. The owner, Gary, is truly one of Tahoe's angels.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Im gonn be up checking out the N* scene that week. I have never riden a four wheeler there, I cant wait to see what its like...