mtbr member

1st time @ China Camp...

1st ride at China camp, pretty sad since I've lived in Marin all my life. I've found tons of trails in the review section I can't wait to try, what a great resource. This was also my 2nd ride on my new Stumpjumper.

Parked on the road pretty close to the trailhead and asked directions/advice as to where to go from two guys that were getting ready to ride. Both were gonna do the singletrack loop I think and were very friendly, glad some people were around to ask.

Started off climbing singletrack switchbacks, I think this was Bay view. I wanted to get to the Nike radar site, since I read about it here all the time, so when the singletrack split I followed a fire road. Brutally steep walked the super steep sections. At a junction (where the 1st pic is) I followed Bay Hills dr. but it was more nasty super steep and rocky fire road climbing and wasn't sure where I was. So I turned around and then took Ridge Fire Trail, which I think was a mistake cuz it was a super steep drop and think I missed some cool singletrack.

My 2nd pic is where I hooked back with the singletrack (Shoreline) this was a pretty fun section. Took that all the way back to where I started. Anyways I got a nice 10 mile ride in and the scenery was great and the weather was awesome today so I'm glad I went out. Definitely heading back there soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not me

good maps

I rode there saturday. It's definitely a great place to ride. There are a couple good maps available, I have one that came laminiated. It's pretty good but doesn't have any of the singletrack on the backside of the camp. I always ride there with a friend who lives near there and rides it a lot so I just follow him.

There are a few ways to get to the Nike spot. They all invovle a bit of paved road. The main paved road up to the site has a long, steep climb.

Nice pics.

mtbr member
    Yeah one of the guys I talked to mentioned the paved road up to Nike but didn't find it. Had a great ride anywho...and looks like there's lots more to explore there.

Here's the map I used, sounds like there's better... http://www.marintrails.com/biking/biking/25_china.html

Not me
    If you were on Bayview you wanted either the Echo Trail to Bay Hills Road and then up to the site or the ridge fire road which brings you up the back.

Mike's Bikes in San Rafael has a few different maps and they guys there are great and can show you the trails on the map. Best store around in my view. Check out bikemapdude.com. My map was produced by them. As I said, it doesn't have any of the trails on the backside or show you where Hitler is, etc. But it does have an icon that shows you where the Nike Missle Base is.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Addy
    Started off climbing singletrack switchbacks, I think this was Bay view. I wanted to get to the Nike radar site, since I read about it here all the time, so when the singletrack split I followed a fire road. Brutally steep walked the super steep sections. At a junction (where the 1st pic is) I followed Bay Hills dr. but it was more nasty super steep and rocky fire road climbing and wasn't sure where I was. So I turned around and then took Ridge Fire Trail, which I think was a mistake cuz it was a super steep drop and think I missed some cool singletrack.
    Definitely heading back there soon.
    Give a holler if you want a guide. The Tuesday Afternoon slacker ride is often at China Camp (postponed these last two weeks since I have had to work). I ride there other days too. You need to check out Tamarancho too.

mtbr member
    Cool I'm down with the Tuesday slacker ride if I'm free. Not in the best shape right now but I'm working at it. I can do 1000' or 2000' in elevation it just takes a while Post here, PM or email me for a ride any time. Tamarancho is on my must check out soon list too!

Adam
    adam@mansir.net