Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

1st Annual Rocky Ridge No Dab Challenge!!!!

I know a lot of you guys have climbed it no-dabs, but many of us have not. Rocky Ridge is not steep, but it is very technical. Extra points for hardtail riders, rigid riders get God-like status. Single speed rigid makes you Master of the Universe (like He-Man)

I dab 3 times almost every time, in the exact same places - my goal is to hit it this year without touching once.

Claim your fame, homies. Orale`.

1st Annual Rocky Ridge No Dab Challenge!!!!-rr.jpg
    Last edited by Dion; 07-08-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Weird huh?
    I'm up for it weekend next. After yesterday, I'd much rather climb the thing than go down it.
    And don't do the burrito jump... Francois

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    damn. I can't no dab, going down....

Puro Vida!
    I'm in-so rules? Do we need to do this during a group ride?
    So since Brett does it single speed, hard tail and on a 800 pound bike-maybe we could make a statue of him on top of the hill and hide beer in it??

Snowjnky McDreamy
    good challenge. last sat 3 dabs but one one to talk to the Law about tires as she was coming down.
    I find it easier on my hardtail. I no dabbed with the nomad only once and the hardtail a handful of times.
    Those don't count though, got to get it done now that the challenge has been started.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    How does this challenge compare to the dogmeat challlenge for difficulty ?
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    How does this challenge compare to the dogmeat challlenge for difficulty ?
    It's a lot more technical than Dogmeat, but Dogmeat just beats you down with sheer gravity. Rocky Ridge has plenty of 'rests' going up, but if you don't have the body/bike english, yer goin' down!

mtbr member
    I always dab just before the switchback which is a huge momentum killer, so I walk back and make sure I clean it the 2nd time. That way I can keep it going past the switchback. Every time, I think "Now I know how to do it, I'll get it next time" but it's hard to account for how much your lungs are hurting AND the finesse required to get your front wheel over/around/through the rocks.

Good challenge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrpiffle View Post
    It's a lot more technical than Dogmeat, but Dogmeat just beats you down with sheer gravity. Rocky Ridge has plenty of 'rests' going up, but if you don't have the body/bike english, yer goin' down!
    I put it on the bucket list. I get a kick out of gap's table mountain trail and the manzanita trail @ skeggs.
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

mtbr member
    I am totally in for this (had it as a personal challenge anyhow). I've only tried it twice and both on bike bike but was dubbed Sir Dab-A-Lot by my peers who seemed to make it look easy. Bringing XC bike to try next time!

AR: Dogmeat and this are two completely different animals. One is long, steep, and lung busty, the other is short but very technical. DM is point and shoot and hope for the best, RR is pick your line(s) and hope for the best.
    Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

Wēk Ss
    I would think a squishy Horst Link bike without the brain would fare better than something with a platform built in, like DW or VPP2, with a full open fork.

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    I would think a squishy Horst Link bike without the brain would fare better than something with a platform built in, like DW or VPP2, with a full open fork.
    I'm going to do it on a hardtail with a rigid carbon fork. Maybe go way low on the front tire air pressure. Either way there is little chance of me not extending the landing gear...multiple times
    Last edited by cmdrpiffle; 06-26-2012 at 07:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I've crashed climbing Rocky Ridge - punctured my shin with a rock and got a fever that night. That's how technical it is.

I can clear the "stairs" no problem. It's the switch backs that I have a hard time with. I also walk back about 10-12 feet and clear it - so I tell myself "Okay, that's the line" but I always seem to mess it up when I try to go no dabs. I know there is a line through that is the best way.

I think the key is to let off on the gas and to maintain energy levels until those dab points. It takes a lot of up-and-oomph to get over some of that stuff, and if you're gassed from trying to haul up it fast initially, it's going to zap you. I think using the flat areas as a "rest" will help.

Dogmeat is a test in fitness and traction. Rocky Ridge is a test in fitness and ultimately bike handling skills.

Trail Blazer
    i did it once on my full suspension bike before i broke my leg and that bike was alive(r.i.p.) now i got a full rigid 29er 1x9 and a weak ass right leg, so lets do this!

Hipster
    I'm in! Still haven't accomplished this one. I'll try not to endo on the way up and break my rear triangle again!

Wēk Ss
    I'm going to try it on a hardtail with a rigid carbon fork. Maybe go way low on the front tire air pressure. Either way there is little chance of me not extending the landing gear...multiple times
    Nice! When I ride Stiles with my HT and locked out fork, I bounce alot. It throws me off and the rear tire spins as I fall over. It's more technique and approach speed than anything else, I'm sure.

Anyhow, I'm out of this. I busted up this weekend at Z's and going to stay off the bike for a while.

ask
    user
    I'm in for this one... I've only ridden there a few times and had to dab several time going up. Good challenge!

mtbr member
    Where is the trail at?

mtbr member
    Dang, one of my lifetime goals.

And I am still awaiting the next TSP ride on flowy single-track Rest up this week Dion so that you can lead us again!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I know a lot of you guys have climbed it no-dabs, but many of us have not. Rocky Ridge is not steep, but it is very technical. Extra points for hardtail riders, rigid riders get God-like status. Single speed rigid makes you Master of the Universe (like He-Man)

I dab 3 times almost every time, in the exact same places - my goal is to hit it this year without touching once.

Claim your fame, homies. Orale`.
    Time frame? Can't be a first annual without an end date, no? Thanks for the challenge...a worthy one for sure.
    Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Time frame? Can't be a first annual without an end date, no? Thanks for the challenge...a worthy one for sure.
    Eh! Let's get it done by October 1st. That's 3 months, vatos locos.

Weird huh?
    Sweet! I'll be out practicing this coming Sunday

Wēk Ss
    Hmm, increased RR traffic. I see a business opportunity.

tubes for sale! get your fresh, nice tubes! $100 each! tubes for sale!

mtbr member
    This would be a cake walk for Trials riders. Not so much for us normal human folks with below average climbing abilities, like me. Add me to the statistic of those that have tried and lost count of how many dabs happened.

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbg33k View Post
    Where is the trail at?
    Rocky Ridge is one of the trails in Santa Teresa County Park, in south San Jose. From the top, the first 1/3rd is pretty smooth single track. The middle 1/3rd is something like the surface of Venus. There is a nominal 'trail' that winds between a rock garden that is about as technical as you want to get. Numerous sucker lines that will groove your front wheel before you know what happened. Lots of off camber trickery on the switch backs. All of this on a pretty steep incline, so whether you're climbing or descending, if you miss your line...."You're not gonna have a good time". It's the perfect trail that allows you to tumble and fall climbing or descending! The rock edges on the entire length have a very high cro-moly-Ti- 7075 aluminum-blood content from all the crank arms, pedals, flesh and chain rings that have ended their lives there.
    Rocky Ridge

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast