Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

1st Annual Rocky Ridge No Dab Challenge!!!!

I know a lot of you guys have climbed it no-dabs, but many of us have not. Rocky Ridge is not steep, but it is very technical. Extra points for hardtail riders, rigid riders get God-like status. Single speed rigid makes you Master of the Universe (like He-Man)

I dab 3 times almost every time, in the exact same places - my goal is to hit it this year without touching once.

Claim your fame, homies. Orale`.

1st Annual Rocky Ridge No Dab Challenge!!!!-rr.jpg
    Last edited by Dion; 07-08-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Weird huh?
    I'm up for it weekend next. After yesterday, I'd much rather climb the thing than go down it.
    Poaching Demo...that's why we can't have nice things...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    damn. I can't no dab, going down....

Puro Vida!
    I'm in-so rules? Do we need to do this during a group ride?
    So since Brett does it single speed, hard tail and on a 800 pound bike-maybe we could make a statue of him on top of the hill and hide beer in it??

Snowjnky McDreamy
    good challenge. last sat 3 dabs but one one to talk to the Law about tires as she was coming down.
    I find it easier on my hardtail. I no dabbed with the nomad only once and the hardtail a handful of times.
    Those don't count though, got to get it done now that the challenge has been started.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    How does this challenge compare to the dogmeat challlenge for difficulty ?
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    How does this challenge compare to the dogmeat challlenge for difficulty ?
    It's a lot more technical than Dogmeat, but Dogmeat just beats you down with sheer gravity. Rocky Ridge has plenty of 'rests' going up, but if you don't have the body/bike english, yer goin' down!

mtbr member
    I always dab just before the switchback which is a huge momentum killer, so I walk back and make sure I clean it the 2nd time. That way I can keep it going past the switchback. Every time, I think "Now I know how to do it, I'll get it next time" but it's hard to account for how much your lungs are hurting AND the finesse required to get your front wheel over/around/through the rocks.

Good challenge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrpiffle View Post
    It's a lot more technical than Dogmeat, but Dogmeat just beats you down with sheer gravity. Rocky Ridge has plenty of 'rests' going up, but if you don't have the body/bike english, yer goin' down!
    I put it on the bucket list. I get a kick out of gap's table mountain trail and the manzanita trail @ skeggs.

mtbr member
    I am totally in for this (had it as a personal challenge anyhow). I've only tried it twice and both on bike bike but was dubbed Sir Dab-A-Lot by my peers who seemed to make it look easy. Bringing XC bike to try next time!

AR: Dogmeat and this are two completely different animals. One is long, steep, and lung busty, the other is short but very technical. DM is point and shoot and hope for the best, RR is pick your line(s) and hope for the best.
    I'm not sure how this works.

Wēk Ss
    I would think a squishy Horst Link bike without the brain would fare better than something with a platform built in, like DW or VPP2, with a full open fork.

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    I would think a squishy Horst Link bike without the brain would fare better than something with a platform built in, like DW or VPP2, with a full open fork.
    I'm going to do it on a hardtail with a rigid carbon fork. Maybe go way low on the front tire air pressure. Either way there is little chance of me not extending the landing gear...multiple times
    Last edited by cmdrpiffle; 06-26-2012 at 07:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I've crashed climbing Rocky Ridge - punctured my shin with a rock and got a fever that night. That's how technical it is.

I can clear the "stairs" no problem. It's the switch backs that I have a hard time with. I also walk back about 10-12 feet and clear it - so I tell myself "Okay, that's the line" but I always seem to mess it up when I try to go no dabs. I know there is a line through that is the best way.

I think the key is to let off on the gas and to maintain energy levels until those dab points. It takes a lot of up-and-oomph to get over some of that stuff, and if you're gassed from trying to haul up it fast initially, it's going to zap you. I think using the flat areas as a "rest" will help.

Dogmeat is a test in fitness and traction. Rocky Ridge is a test in fitness and ultimately bike handling skills.

Trail Blazer
    i did it once on my full suspension bike before i broke my leg and that bike was alive(r.i.p.) now i got a full rigid 29er 1x9 and a weak ass right leg, so lets do this!

Hipster
    I'm in! Still haven't accomplished this one. I'll try not to endo on the way up and break my rear triangle again!

Wēk Ss
    I'm going to try it on a hardtail with a rigid carbon fork. Maybe go way low on the front tire air pressure. Either way there is little chance of me not extending the landing gear...multiple times
    Nice! When I ride Stiles with my HT and locked out fork, I bounce alot. It throws me off and the rear tire spins as I fall over. It's more technique and approach speed than anything else, I'm sure.

Anyhow, I'm out of this. I busted up this weekend at Z's and going to stay off the bike for a while.

ask
    user
    I'm in for this one... I've only ridden there a few times and had to dab several time going up. Good challenge!

mtbr member
    Where is the trail at?
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

mtbr member
    Dang, one of my lifetime goals.

And I am still awaiting the next TSP ride on flowy single-track Rest up this week Dion so that you can lead us again!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I know a lot of you guys have climbed it no-dabs, but many of us have not. Rocky Ridge is not steep, but it is very technical. Extra points for hardtail riders, rigid riders get God-like status. Single speed rigid makes you Master of the Universe (like He-Man)

I dab 3 times almost every time, in the exact same places - my goal is to hit it this year without touching once.

Time frame? Can't be a first annual without an end date, no? Thanks for the challenge...a worthy one for sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Time frame? Can't be a first annual without an end date, no? Thanks for the challenge...a worthy one for sure.
    Eh! Let's get it done by October 1st. That's 3 months, vatos locos.

Weird huh?
    Sweet! I'll be out practicing this coming Sunday

Wēk Ss
    Hmm, increased RR traffic. I see a business opportunity.

tubes for sale! get your fresh, nice tubes! $100 each! tubes for sale!

mtbr member
    This would be a cake walk for Trials riders. Not so much for us normal human folks with below average climbing abilities, like me. Add me to the statistic of those that have tried and lost count of how many dabs happened.

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbg33k View Post
    Where is the trail at?
    Rocky Ridge is one of the trails in Santa Teresa County Park, in south San Jose. From the top, the first 1/3rd is pretty smooth single track. The middle 1/3rd is something like the surface of Venus. There is a nominal 'trail' that winds between a rock garden that is about as technical as you want to get. Numerous sucker lines that will groove your front wheel before you know what happened. Lots of off camber trickery on the switch backs. All of this on a pretty steep incline, so whether you're climbing or descending, if you miss your line...."You're not gonna have a good time". It's the perfect trail that allows you to tumble and fall climbing or descending! The rock edges on the entire length have a very high cro-moly-Ti- 7075 aluminum-blood content from all the crank arms, pedals, flesh and chain rings that have ended their lives there.
    Rocky Ridge

mtbr member
    Hmm, increased RR traffic. I see a business opportunity.

tubes for sale! get your fresh, nice tubes! $100 each! tubes for sale!
    Add band aids and you can open a store front half way up. I almost made it on my first try but since then have had multiple dabs and bleeding knees and shins. I think I have a better chance at completing this one rather than dogmeat. That one is too steep for me.

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Biker View Post
    This would be a cake walk for Trials riders. Not so much for us normal human folks with below average climbing abilities, like me. Add me to the statistic of those that have tried and lost count of how many dabs happened.
    That's funny. I was coming down it yesterday and saw a group of 4 guys climbing it. Thinking they might be the the planned group of us who were meeting I yelled out "are you guys with the MTBR group" Guy looks at me as we pass and says "no, we're just a bunch of dumb asses for thinking this was a good idea" Two hikers who were standing off trail to let us bikers all pass each other just started cracking up when he said that.

aka Willy Vanilly
    I can no-dab it about 50% of the time I try it (which is each time I ride at STCP (which is almost every weekend since it is within 5 minutes of my place)). I find it trickier on my DW link bike than I did on my faux bar since the back end seems to kick up if it gets hung up on things.

For me: Steps are alright. The section after that (between the steps and switchback) messes me up sometimes. Switchback is usually alright. Part that gets me the most often is couple hundred yards just after the switchback (before the right turn) when I'm tired and just stall out on something stupid.

Oh, and I've totally crashed going in the uphill direction and almost managed to endo somehow as well.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

rho
    Life is strange
    Yer on! But being that I am a tallentless hack I doubt ill get this challenge. But hey, worth a shot anyways!

Sent by smoke signal

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Biker View Post
    I don't know, man. I can ride some trials and the hardest part of this thing is being gassed out before you get to the "fun" stuff. With trials riding, you don't have a 600ft. climb before the rocks. If I took a break before the real rocky stuff, I could clear it - no problem - I've done it before. But going no dabs all the way up is difficult because by time you get to the mid-section, you have already done some pretty decent climbing.

For you RR newbies, the "fun" stuff is halfway up, past the "stairs". After you get through all that, it's a simple rolling single track with some rocks here and there. Clearing the "stairs" was something I haven't accomplished until this year, actually.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    That's funny. I was coming down it yesterday and saw a group of 4 guys climbing it. Thinking they might be the the planned group of us who were meeting I yelled out "are you guys with the MTBR group" Guy looks at me as we pass and says "no, we're just a bunch of dumb asses for thinking this was a good idea" Two hikers who were standing off trail to let us bikers all pass each other just started cracking up when he said that.
    There were 4 of us, but we also saw 4 guys hike-a-biking the mid-section from Mine trail. When we finally started to ascend, there were tow hikers (a man and a woman) which I assumed were the ones you saw.

mtbr member

Rocky ridge pics ?

I have never set foot on that trail. Anyone have pics of the worst areas on RR? Has my hero LP made it no dab?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have never set foot on that trail. Anyone have pics of the worst areas on RR? Has my hero LP made it no dab?
    This site has some decent pictures, but as always, the pics don't do it justice.

Living the life of Riley: Santa Teresa Park - Rocky Ridge Trail

This first pic is "the stairs"

The 5th pic is where it starts to get crunchy before the infamous switch backs.

Without the rocks, the actual climb is not bad/steep. It's trying to get over these basketballs and cement buckets is what makes it difficult.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I am in on this biznatches!!!!! Only done it twice out of 10-15 times. I will accomplish this feat on my hard tail bike. I will try for this feat tomorrow starting about 930am. If you wish to catch a glimpse of me in all my glory, come on out. I am going to whip this thing!
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    I am in on this biznatches!!!!! Only done it twice out of 10-15 times. I will accomplish this feat on my hard tail bike. I will try for this feat tomorrow starting about 930am. If you wish to catch a glimpse of me in all my glory, come on out. I am going to whip this thing!
    Crap...I want in too. I'll try to see you out there around this time but don't wait up. I will try to accomplish this on my bicycle...the one with the two wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Okay, I really thought more of you cleared it - even some of our elites struggle with it! I was for certain Marco has cleared it, and Paul, I thought you get it every time!

It's on, sistas and brothas... I'm surprised nobody has brought up this challenge yet.

All I have is my rigid 29'er and On-One 456, I think I have a better chance with my 456. On our ride yesterday, TJ heard my "FAAAAAACCCCCCCC****KKKKKKK!!!!!" every time I put my foot down.

mtbr member
    Many 'trail donations' have been given on Rocky Ridge over the years indeed. This is a good challenge, I recommend it. My experiences:

- on my 30lbs full sus Yeti: I tend to clean it when fresh, in shape and not lazy (which means about 10-20% of the time)
    - on my 29er hardtail: never cleaned it, as the rear always bounces all over the place (section right after the switchback in particular)
    - on my rigid 26" singlespeed: never ridden clean, though I managed to clean all individual 'problems' at one point or another... just not in one run.
    - CX: areyounutz?

Here's a video including a full descent of RR... you can't see the rocks very well as this was done half in the dark.

from Dirk dB on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Ugh. Joice. I like how the friggin' nastiest climb there is named after a sweet daycare center lady.

mtbr member
    Good business model. You sell inner tubes on the trail, I'll sell Stan's kits at the bottom (and cold beer at the top).

I've lost track of the number rubber bands that go around inner tubes that I've seen on that trail.

rho
    Life is strange
    I must say id rather be trying to make it up RR right now than sitting in a airport bar in LA.
    Same goes for tomorrow....

Sent by smoke signal

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    This is a bad challenge given that I just switched over to clipless...

Puro Vida!
    You'll be ok-a couple rides and the pedals won't be a issue-the rocks will!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm not worried about the pedals, I'm worried about knees, hips, ribs, shoulders, elbows becoming friends with the rocks.

mtbr member
    To get ready for this, I threw about 700 human head sized boulders on my street and took a jackhammer to the open spots then have been riding back and forth all afternoon. My neighbors are super pissed but I think I'm ready.

Puro Vida!
    I like that!

PRETENDURO
    Paul Marshall and I rode it together several months ago, I was right behind him, witnessing his no-dab perfection. He got a pretty freakin quick time up it as well. I, on the other hand (on my fully-rigid SS 32x22 setup) had one minor dab but a dab is still a dab! I would love to master this btch-slapper of a challenge. Time to build up a fully-rigid SS setup again, methinks!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    I must say id rather be trying to make it up RR right now than sitting in a airport bar in LA.
    Same goes for tomorrow....

Sent by smoke signal
    Theres better beer in the airport bar than at Rickys Rodge.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHombre View Post
    Many 'trail donations' have been given on Rocky Ridge over the years indeed. This is a good challenge, I recommend it. My experiences:

- on my 30lbs full sus Yeti: I tend to clean it when fresh, in shape and not lazy (which means about 10-20% of the time)
    - on my 29er hardtail: never cleaned it, as the rear always bounces all over the place (section right after the switchback in particular)
    - on my rigid 26" singlespeed: never ridden clean, though I managed to clean all individual 'problems' at one point or another... just not in one run.
    - CX: areyounutz?

Here's a video including a full descent of RR... you can't see the rocks very well as this was done half in the dark.

from Dirk dB on Vimeo.

You guys are nucking futs descending Rocky Ridge in the dark! Lights or no lights on your bike, that is some serious business!

PRETENDURO
    Ugh. Joice. I like how the friggin' nastiest climb there is named after a sweet daycare center lady.
    I was thinking along the lines of a quiet librarian who wasnt exactly hot at first notice, but you were secretly fantasizing about how such a seemingly quiet woman might be a dirty girl when the library closes.

rho
    Life is strange
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    There’s better beer in the airport bar than at Ricky’s Rodge.
    But see... I can bring the tasty beer up with me from home while the airport in burbank has crap, crap and more crap!

Sent by smoke signal

Snowjnky McDreamy

rather I complied the easy parts as I ran into porkstacker at the hard stuff and my battery died
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Oops! I forgot the wife planned something for me tomorrow. Maybe sometime after work this week.

mtbr member
    I love that video Snowjnky. The music completes it. I lived off if Bernal for 5 years, so I've got in unfair advantage on RR. For those not familiar and trying to figure out the right bike: it's not a hard-tail, most definitely not a fully ridged. And l know I tried it on a SS, but can't remember if i ever made it. Anyone who clears it on a fully ridged SS should earn free beers for a year - wherever you go. :-). I'm up for trying it on my DH bike - anyone else? Must be > 40 lbs with a chain guide up front. Sure, another challenge would be to attempt it on a cross bike, but that would just be torture going up AND coming back down.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I usually dab twice at least. And by dab I mean fail and stall. I will try, do not go there often.

Laker and a Trail Blazer
    Has anyone ridden rocky ridge and oat hill mine road? Curious to see how they compare.

rho
    Life is strange
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncstad View Post
    Has anyone ridden rocky ridge and oat hill mine road? Curious to see how they compare.
    Oat hill mine is a fair bit chunkier. But RR is "special".

Of course I have not been out to OHM in a couple years...

mtbr member
    You all have me interested. I know I'm not much of a climber, so I'll dab, cuss, stop, push, my way up it. However the downhill looks awesome. Reminds me of some other fun trails I've ridden. Looks like I may be taking a road trip down to the bay to get my ass kicked!
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

ask
    user
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbhead View Post
    I love that video Snowjnky. The music completes it.
    I agree... Great video / soundtrack Snowjnky!

I am looking fwd to trying this challenge soon. Actually looking forward to riding back down RR after trying to climb it. Good / tough challenge.

mtbr member
    I am super excited to try this again. All you that are talking about how hard it is are right. It is very hard and one reasons is the frequency of the rocks and bumps. You really have to master the body English to get over certain sections and carry some speed into the obstacles. The other thing that sucks, you make it past the stairs, past the switchbacks and then fail on a stupid part. Done that a few times also did it while looking back to see where others were. It takes complete focus for 15-20 mins. You can't let your mind wander at all. I have done it once on a full squish and once on my HT. I leave the front unlocked and middle ring everything. It is possible and anyone that does it should be proud. I will post my success or failure when I go and give it a go. Pick a time to avoid people coming down and hikers if you can. Most DH guys will pull to the side for you because they know your a sick s.o.b. for trying to ride up it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    ...master the body English
    Sorry P-Marsh, but I prefer to call it "body Spanish". You know, to celebrate the diversity of San Jose. BTW, P-Marsh is your rapper name, short for P-Money Marsh 2013, Worldwide.

Star Trek nerds like to call it "body Klingon" but that's also to describe a parasite.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post
    I agree... Great video / soundtrack Snowjnky!

I love that video Snowjnky. The music completes it. I'm up for trying it on my DH bike - anyone else? Must be > 40 lbs with a chain guide up front.
    Thanks glad you enjoyed it

My goal is to be able to routinely clean it on my Noamd,36 lbs 1x9 34t front chain ring.
    practice practice practice
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncstad View Post
    Oat hill is longer and obstacles on the upper part are larger. I think OHM will be more difficult to no-dab all the way - I tried a few times and could not, even as I can clear individual bits.

mtbr member
    Sorry P-Marsh, but I prefer to call it "body Spanish". You know, to celebrate the diversity of San Jose. BTW, P-Marsh is your rapper name, short for P-Money Marsh 2013, Worldwide.

Star Trek nerds like to call it "body Klingon" but that's also to describe a parasite.
    Dion, dude thanks for bringing this to my attention! How could I be so insensitive? I mean for those of you out there that are ESL, please forgive me. By no way did I mean that you'll be deported if you can't clean RR on the way up. You do have to meet some criteria though. Dion, care to list the needed criteria for Obama's clearing rocky ridge stay in the US challenge? We will even post signs of two parents on bikes pulling a little girl with pigtails up the trail. On a Mac and can't figure out how to paste a pic! AHHHHH!!!!!

Trail Blazer
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    practice practice practice
    im gonna leave work soon to go try it.....and fail miserably . on my fully rigid 29er recently converted from SS to 1x9 34t up front

Last edited by ridinHigh; 06-26-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: add photo

mtbr member
    Let me be the first to report *FAIL*.

This was my third try ever but the first two times I wasn't even thinking of no-dab effort. Got a good chance to really look'r over and the weather was primo! Brought my XC Yeti AS-R with rear shock locked out.

My assessment is that this is really only HARD for 100 yards...though those 100 are no joke. In that 100 yards there are three well defined show stoppers. The first being the first big up or what you guys call the stairs. Took me three tries (going down to bridge to start over)...I think i have that one down now. The second being a rather tight squeeze through two high rocks up near switch back...that's more a pedal timing issue. The last being the switch back...the switch back itself is no problem its just that at that point, you're getting pretty spent from the climb so the last 50 feet after the switch is more a test of endurance (all IMMFHO mind you). After that, its all no prob. as long as you keep good rolling speed. This trail is technical but really just favors those that have the ability to maintain strength over that 100 yards.

Anyhow, made three tries from bridge failing at the steps, the tight squeeze, and lost strength after switch back. Next time, bagging the camel pack and knee pads.

MTBG33K: If you are going to take a road trip, not so sure this would be my destination. Too short, gnar but not THAT gnar, can be brutally hot in the Summer, and there are just way better trails not far from here (Demo for example). Just $.02.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st Annual Rocky Ridge No Dab Challenge!!!!-rr1.jpg  

1st Annual Rocky Ridge No Dab Challenge!!!!-rr2.jpeg  

Last edited by squashyo; 06-26-2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: word

mtbr member
    Good try man ! That last pic is pretty disturbing...the trail part too ! Does it still count if I use some plywood a few blocks and some shovel work here and there. No dab is a no dab eh? It looks pretty tough. Thanks for this cool pics. Should I try it on a rigid 26er single speed geared 32x21 with a newly mounted 1.95 rear wheel? May not be a good idea !
    Last edited by ancient rascal; 06-26-2012 at 05:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I've ridden up and down that trail so many times I've lost count. I've only tried to no-dab the climb a few times and never made it. I think my best is 2 dabs - the thing that gets me is the switchback and the climb right before the s/b. I haven't been riding much lately but I happen to be in the best shape of my life right now and I'm gonna get out there and give it a couple shots. Don't expect it on the first try but I think I'm 'eligible' to no-dab it right now.

Weird huh?
    Nice! When I ride Stiles with my HT and locked out fork, I bounce alot. It throws me off and the rear tire spins as I fall over. It's more technique and approach speed than anything else, I'm sure.

Anyhow, I'm out of this. I busted up this weekend at Z's and going to stay off the bike for a while.
    That sux. HEAL !!!! (that was my 4 bangs after CAPLOK to make you better)
    Cheers!

Weird huh?
    Okay, I really thought more of you cleared it - even some of our elites struggle with it! I was for certain Marco has cleared it, and Paul, I thought you get it every time!

It's on, sistas and brothas... I'm surprised nobody has brought up this challenge yet.

All I have is my rigid 29'er and On-One 456, I think I have a better chance with my 456. On our ride yesterday, TJ heard my "FAAAAAACCCCCCCC****KKKKKKK!!!!!" every time I put my foot down.
    Dion, with Respect...you're surprised nobody has brought this challenge up yet? Hell, I rode it for the first time last year because of you. You are always extolling the merits of STCP, and I decided to try it. (live right down the road) Most fun I've had in years on a bike. So many different level trails and challenges, make it hard, medium or easy, it's all there. The enthusiasm on this thread is largely because of your promoting this park. Damn glad you did. Take some credit Last Sunday I had one of the best rides of my life and didn't actually hook up with your group. (I tried, but the police wouldn't let me park) Woulda never found this place without your posts on this forum. Seriously. Cheers!

rho
    Life is strange
    I like RR its chunky stuff rideable from my apt!

Sent by smoke signal

mtbr member
    Okay, I really thought more of you cleared it - even some of our elites struggle with it!
    Yeah, it ain't road biking
    I'll prob head out there tomorrow or Fri morning 7:30am'ish.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Dion, with Respect...you're surprised nobody has brought this challenge up yet? Hell, I rode it for the first time last year because of you. You are always extolling the merits of STCP, and I decided to try it. (live right down the road) Most fun I've had in years on a bike. So many different level trails and challenges, make it hard, medium or easy, it's all there. The enthusiasm on this thread is largely because of your promoting this park. Damn glad you did. Take some credit Last Sunday I had one of the best rides of my life and didn't actually hook up with your group. (I tried, but the police wouldn't let me park) Woulda never found this place without your posts on this forum. Seriously. Cheers!
    Well, thank you! I'm glad you appreciate my crusade.

STCP is a little south San Jose gem that has offered me more therapy than any doctor can give me.

mtbr member
    Yo Squash,
    Locking your rear shock was your first mistake... The trick is to stand for all the gnarly bumpy steep stuff and apply power - much power. But let that rear end soak up the bumps and keep the tire in contact. Body english/spanish/klingon to keep the rear tire from spinning out. Sit and recuperate in a low gear in each of the sections between the gnarly ones...

Let me be the first to report *FAIL*.

This was my third try ever but the first two times I wasn't even thinking of no-dab effort. Got a good chance to really look'r over and the weather was primo! Brought my XC Yeti AS-R with rear shock locked out.
    ----
    blablabla - very sad face -

Wēk Ss
    That sux. HEAL !!!! (that was my 4 bangs after CAPLOK to make you better)
    Cheers!
    Thanks!

Yo Squash,
    Locking your rear shock was your first mistake... The trick is to stand for all the gnarly bumpy steep stuff and apply power - much power. But let that rear end soak up the bumps and keep the tire in contact. Body english/spanish/klingon to keep the rear tire from spinning out. Sit and recuperate in a low gear in each of the sections between the gnarly ones...
    +1 on opening up the suspension and let that squishiness ride. Moar Power! Hulk Smash!

mtbr member
    Yo Squash,
    Perhaps but I tried full squishy (all 3 inches) on the first two ascents and it felt like I lost a little control. When I locked out, I was able to make the steps and every time thereafter...but lost it later when my pedals hit the tall rocks....then I just plum lost steam. I totally agree that applying power and maintaining it through the gnar is key to beating this bastard.

Medium?
    Pretty serious thread for two days work.

I've never tried to ride up it. Maybe now I will. More likely if I didn't see that one picture. Presumably you have to ride over that hump and down across the bridge with no dabs as well for the effort to count.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The first being the first big up or what you guys call the stairs.
    The "stairs" is kind of a "cherry popper" for newbie RR climbers. For me, I just never had the confidence to grit my teeth and go for it. In other words, I never gave myself the chance to clear them... I would just dismount.

So, when you guys hit that, just go for it. I do it on my rigid bike, no problem.

mtbr member
    Done!
    First try on the new steel Sycip hardtail. I can't do it in the middle ring anymore (I went 2x10).
    My time isn't so spectacular nowadays 12:30. I used to be in the high-mid 10 minute range.

I haven't dabbed on this but a handful of times, but when you have ridden it as much as I have, repetition beats talent.

I have been riding this thing since they built it. We used to ride it when they actually were building it and it was rocky and loose then. I haven't been out there in a while, but have been a regular around noon every day in the past. I am surprised that I never ran into Dion or the others on this thread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nine View Post
    Done!
    First try on the new steel Sycip hardtail. I can't do it in the middle ring anymore (I went 2x10).
    My time isn't so spectacular nowadays 12:30. I used to be in the high-mid 10 minute range.

I haven't dabbed on this but a handful of times, but when you have ridden it as much as I have, repetition beats talent.

I have been riding this thing since they built it. We used to ride it when they actually were building it and it was rocky and loose then. I haven't been out there in a while, but have been a regular around noon every day in the past. I am surprised that I never ran into Dion or the others on this thread.
    There it is, vatos locos pro vida. The bar has been raised. OP/Rocky Ridge Hall of Fame will be edited.

ask
    user
    Done!

NICE! Congrats on the climb.

I hope to get out there one of these weekends. Too far south (with traffic) for me to hit up on a weekday before/after work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Perhaps but I tried full squishy (all 3 inches) on the first two ascents and it felt like I lost a little control.
    If it feels like you are losing control right after you went over the step/obstacle try increasing the rebound of your shock.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The plaque is up. Get your name up there. I'll try to do the same.

mtbr member
    I think T-shirts are in order for those that succeed...or beer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I accept your little climb test
    Here I go, witness my best...
    Well that was not clean,
    My dab count.. Seventeen!?
    I'll do better by Octoberfest.

On my first try I just couldn't hack it.
    Every rock my pedals did smack it.
    I lacked fitness and skill,
    but you know the drill...
    I'll blame my low wide bottom bracket.

Trail Blazer
    Quote Originally Posted by goin' medium View Post
    Well that was not clean,

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    I think T-shirts are in order for those that succeed...or beer.
    If that happens I may actually attempt this. Again and again. And again and again and again and again and again and again and again until I succeed.

(Plaque, shmaque. BEER! )
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

mtbr member

Attachment 706786
    Dion ...Shameless baiting, taunting and general carrot waving ! ... I approve !

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by goin' medium
    Awesome.

mtbr member
    Done!

Well done! Jeremy Sycip would be proud!

mtbr member
    Done!

Quote Originally Posted by goin' medium View Post
    Well that was not clean,

Trying to accomplish this feat, without becoming minced meat.
    I saw a big rock and came to a stop, felt like I took it from behind by a huge *rooster*.
    I sat on the trail and pondered this task, then promptly took a swig from my flask.
    Am I worthy of praise, for I did not get my fists to raise, I am still in a haze.
    A test it is and one I will win, I might even take it's b@lls on my chin.
    Please don't forget to place your bet, Rocky Ridge is mine to get!
    Go now and raise your glass, before Rocky Ridge decides to stick it in your...
    Behold the sight of me and my bike, but please don't pass me on the right.
    To live is to ride and to ride is to live, my advice to you is what I can give.
    Go slay this trail, once or twice you may fail, but get back up and you shall rail!
    I will be back, you will be mine, even if it takes a lot more time.
    The rocks and dirt surely will hurt, but on this day I choose not to wear my skirt.
    Rocky Ridge in the bag, oh the pride I will have, and Dion will provide the swag.

mtbr member

Will plan to give this a shot...thanks for the challenge Dion!

So I've been able to "clean" this trail only 3 times thus far...twice on 29ers (Ellsworth Evolution and Niner RDO Air 9) and once on my '05 Santa Cruz Blur LT...29ers definitely have the advantage on this trail and since I don't yet own a 29er, it'll have to be on the Blur LT...it's definitely helpful to use the flat sections to regain your breath and composure before you hit the tough sections...the crux for me is the left turn switchback...good riding everyone!
    Switchbaxr

Trail Blazer
    failed. 2nd day in a row, maybe i'll try again tomorrow

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I once knew a man from a'far
    who attempted no dabs on RR.
    His foot slipped the pedal,
    and his nuts hit the metal.
    Now his balls are as big as a car.

PRETENDURO
    Laughing my ass off at the poems! Keep this schizzle coming!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    With apologizes to John Denver...

It was born in the summer of the '12th year
    Hittin' a park he'd never seen before
    He left Downie behind him, you might say he was born again
    You might say he found a climb of rocks and gore

When he first came to ole Teresa his life was far away
    All along Bernal road and hangin' by a song
    But the tire's already pinched flat and he doesn't really care
    He keeps changin' it but it don't last for long

But the Rocky Ridge Challenge high
    I've seen them bombing down from the sky
    The shadow from the tower is softer than a lullabye
    Rocky Ridge Challenge high

He climbed Coyote Peak, he saw Almaden below
    He saw taco'd rims as far as you can see
    And they say that he got crazy once and tried single speed
    And he lost a clip, but gained a bloody knee

Now he walks in quiet solitude the Pueblo picnic grounds
    Seeking grace in every pedal stroke he takes
    His sight has turned towards the trail in the west
    The rocks are tall and the holes like lakes

And the Rocky Ridge Challenge High
    I've seen them no dab, it ain't no lie
    You can talk to Claude and listen to the casual reply
    Rocky Ridge Challenge High

Now his legs are full of fire but his heart still knows some fear
    Of a simple thing he cannot comprehend
    While he tries to grind the switchback, he will not fall,
    Other people, more scars upon the land

And the Rocky Ridge Challenge High
    I know he'd be a poorer man if he never saw the flats

It's Rocky Ridge Challenge High
    Team Social Pace is around the campfire and everybody's high

mtbr member
    You can also have fun with the Goyete song "Somebody I used to know" if upon substitute, "Now your just a KOM I used to own".

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    RR Haiku

The rocks are a b|tch.
    Attempt the no dab challenge.
    Motherfcuker, FAIL.

mtbr member
    Over the hills and far away, I saw rocky ridge and did say, holy crap I can't believe, eff' this I am going to leave!

Totally, and to the max.
    I'll make my attempt at getting on the leaderboard tomorrow. So, this is all based on an honor system? I'd love to have video proof but that might not happen...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0