Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

12 Hours of Weaverville

12 HOURS OF WEAVERVILLE, SATURDAY MAY 23, 8AM TO 8PM

Go here for info: http://teambigfoot.net/12HofWV09.htm
    Go here to enter on-line: http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=8339
    Go here for some race reports & comments: Weaverville Stories...

This one is a favorite of many. The course is one of the most fun and rewarding around. Last year it was cold and rainy, and we're proud of all who stuck it out. The year before it was hot and dry....and we're proud of all who stuck it out. Maybe this year the weather will average out? Let's hope!

THE VENUE: We use the local high school as one of the most convenient race sites ever. Real bathrooms, hot showers, paved parking and in-town convenience. Heck, we even send out for deli sandwiches at lunch time!

FORMAT: We run the race from 8am to 8pm, so you don't need lights. Heck, it doesn't get dark until after 9pm!
    Only laps completed by 8pm count. Come it at 8:00:01 and you've just done a practice lap.

THE COURSE: It's a fun one, all in the Weaverville Basin Trail System. It's 8.9 miles per lap with about 1600' of climbing. From Trinity High School the course exits the back of the school, then racers do a 3 mile climb up Weaver Bolly road--a wide dirt road. At the top the course veers onto1 mile or so of rough, downhill Jeeptrack, then becomes singletrack....much of the singletrack is made up of flume trails dug by hand during the gold-rush era of the 1850's. Fun stuff! It's a swooping, sweeping, flowing roller-coaster of ride! and remains mostly singletrack until it joins back onto Weaver Bolly. Then it's back down Weaver Bolly, through the high school and the start/finish line.

CATEGORIES: We offer a complete selection of categories for solos or teams of 2, 3 or 4 riders: Beginner, Sport, Expert, Pro, Male Jr (age17& under), Master (age 40+), Super Master (age 50+), Super Duper Master (age 60+), Women Jr.(age 17& under), Women Beginner, Women Sport, Women Expert/Pro 13, Mixed (at least one woman), Clydesdale (each rider 200lb+), Tandem,Unicycle, Singlespeed Male, Singlespeed Female

CAMPING: East Weaver Campground is about 3 miles from the race venue. From Weaverville take Highway 3, just past the Weaverville Airport and turn left on East Weaver Rd., go 1 mile to the campground. Daily fee is $10 per site.There's another campground at Junction City, 8 miles west on Hwy299, and another at Rush Creek about 6 miles out Highway 3. Rush Creek has no water, but it's only $7. Or 7 miles weast of Weaverville off Highway 299 to Steiner Flat Road is Douglas City with 18 tent/trailer campsites, group picnic area, picnic tables, telephone, beach, paved loop road, flush and vault toilets, potable water, and fire rings. $10.00 per vehicle, per night.

LODGING: Motel Trinity 1112 Main St., (530) 623-2129

WEAVERVILLE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: (530) 623-2907 www.weavervillechamber.org

TEAM BIGFOOT GIVE$ BACK: Each year for seven year history of the 12 Hours of Weaverville, Team Bigfoot has donated a portion of the event's proceeds to the Weaver Basin Trail System Fund to help with trail maintenance, signage, map printing, etc. Our total donation so far is over $4000.

THE SOLO CUP: The series is back, with championships up for grabs in all solo categories! The format is simple, we add up your miles from any of the races listed below and then award series championship trophies in every category at the Whiskeytown 9 to 5 in October.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bigfoot; 04-21-2009 at 04:47 PM.

jms
    mtbr member

Great event

It's a great event! I'll be there! But Vic, can you get the weather right this year? Puhleeeezzze?!?!?!?

mtbr member

You know how eskimos supposedly have all these names

Quote Originally Posted by jms
    It's a great event! I'll be there! But Vic, can you get the weather right this year? Puhleeeezzze?!?!?!?
    You know how eskimos supposedly have lots of names for different kinds of snow? Last year I passed the time by thinking of names for the different kinds of mud I rode through: fudge, dog sh!t, chocolate pudding, diarhea, gravy, chocolate milk...
    Last edited by Zignzag; 04-21-2009 at 04:36 PM.
    Tequila is a pallid flame that passes through walls and soars over tile roofs to allay despair. A. Mutis

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot
    THE COURSE: It's a fun one, all in the Weaverville Basin Trail System. It's 117 miles per lap with about 1600' of climbing.
    117 miles per lap! Not sure I'd be able to get even one lap done. I like the climb to miles ratio though
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member

Law of averages....

If there's any validity to the law of averages when you add scorching-hot to cold-rainy and divide by two, we should get cool-overcast. Let's hope!

Bigfoot

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hey Vic.
    If I race Sport in XC but have never done an eight hour, is it better to sign up for beginner solo?

mtbr member

That depends....

Quote Originally Posted by gmky
    Hey Vic.
    If I race Sport in XC but have never done an eight hour, is it better to sign up for beginner solo?
    If you're only going to for eight hours, then beginner , since this is a 12 hour.

Seriously though, it's up to you. Two things though, 1. If you're going to do more in the Solo Cup Series you'll want to choose a class and stay there. 2. If you win beginner by a big margin the "cherry picker" moniker might stick !

But either way, do come out. The course is soooo much fun!

Bigfoot

-
    Hmm....

Might sign up for 2-person team.
    -ROXY

jms
    mtbr member

Lycra Clad Lawn Darts

I can't emphasize enough what a great weekend of events this is: Saturday's the 12hr race, and for the lycra clad lawn dart types, on Sunday, Bigfoot's got GREAT Super D and Downhill events. if I recall correctly, the Weaverville Super D and Downhill are some of the longer courses in the state. The portion of the singletrack descending @ the creek is really FUN, and I think that's part of the DH and Super D too.
    I think Menso De Jong won the unofficial "Omnium two years ago doing, the 12hr solo, Super D, and Downhill on a rigid SS [Access Alu hardtail]. Maybe Vic would be willing to do something official @ that this year?
    Weaverville's a great little town with a good coffee place [Red House?], a fun little downtown with a cool theatre, good restaurants, and the East Weaver campground is really nice. I think whole weekend @ Weaverville is one of the woefully under-appreciated little gems in mountain bike racing. The courses, scenery, cost, etc. rival ANYTHING in the state. I'm sure looking forward to it. Yeah it's a bit of a drive [I live in SLO], but it's soooooo worth it. Wheeeeeeeeee!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Man, I would love to be called a Cherry Picker or Sand Bagger. But mid pack finishers never get called out. And I though maybe I would take a 4 hour nap midway. Thanks, I'll have to decide by race day.

mtbr member

The course is in great shape!

I raced the Lemurian on Saturday and did the Chico Wildflower Century on Sunday, then on our way back to the coast Mrs. Bigfoot, Mac the wonder dog and I spent a night in Weaverville. Tired legs or not that next morning I couldn't pass up taking a lap of the 12 HofW course (at Mrs. Bigfoot speed) and I'm happy to report that all is well with the course.

The smooth groove that got worn in during last year's wet race is still there! Recent rains have left it looking great.

Looks like it should be another epic edition

Bigfoot
    Last edited by Bigfoot; 04-28-2009 at 09:10 AM.

NedwannaB

Nice.....

The smooth grove that got worn in during last year's wet race is still there! Recent rains have left it looking great.

Looks like it should be another epic edition

Bigfoot
    ....keep looking at this event....very enticing, SSpecially with jms's narrative...maybe this year.

mtbr member

Do it, do it...

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    ....keep looking at this event....very enticing, SSpecially with jms's narrative...maybe this year.
    You won't regret it!

Bigfoot

jms
    mtbr member

Actually, you will.

You won't regret it!

Bigfoot
    Actually, you will.....

Sometime @ your fifth lap, it's 2pm, it's 90 degrees in the shade, your hating your bike, the big fire road climb just keeps coming, getting steeper and looser every lap, and you've got 6 MORE hours of this Sh!t to get through. ABOUT that time, that's when you'll really, really, REALLY regret doing this race.
    And in that ugliest, least graceful moment, allllll alone in your misery, you'll turn inward, and it will come to you, a thought, a blinding inspiration that will give you wings for the rest of the day - "KILL VIC [Bigfoot]!" Works for me every time

It's a great race. Hope to see you there

NedwannaB

90 degrees?.....

Actually, you will.....

Sometime @ your fifth lap, it's 2pm, it's 90 degrees in the shade, your hating your bike, the big fire road climb just keeps coming, getting steeper and looser every lap, and you've got 6 MORE hours of this Sh!t to get through. ABOUT that time, that's when you'll really, really, REALLY regret doing this race.
    And in that ugliest, least graceful moment, allllll alone in your misery, you'll turn inward, and it will come to you, a thought, a blinding inspiration that will give you wings for the rest of the day - "KILL VIC [Bigfoot]!" Works for me every time

It's a great race. Hope to see you there
    ......in May? Nah.....you're mess'n with me, right??
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Get y'er hill climbing boots on. That 3 mile climb is savage, it get's steep right at the end just to spite you. It's especially fun after 3 or 4 laps. Add some rain and you're in for a sweet suffer fest! I did six laps, after 2, I began dreading the climb out.
    Another Fat Bastard on a bike

mtbr member

But what about...

Quote Originally Posted by elennane
    Get y'er hill climbing boots on. That 3 mile climb is savage, it get's steep right at the end just to spite you. It's especially fun after 3 or 4 laps. Add some rain and you're in for a sweet suffer fest! I did six laps, after 2, I began dreading the climb out.
    Granted, the hill isn't a walk in the park. BUT, once you're over the top there's a mile of slight downhill to recover, then the singletrack (oh so sweet!) begins and soon you forget all about the climb.

Really. No, really.

Bigfoot

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Y'er right. The reward is basically downhill single track all the way to the start. 1 Hill, 3 miles, 5 miles downhill.
    Another Fat Bastard on a bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm thinking about doing this as my first endurance race. Will there still be available campsites if I get there Friday early evening?

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    George and I will be there.

YESBRO!!!
    last year's four inches of peanut butter on top of a glass floor is going to be hard to top!

i'm just hoping for less slop. between that and this year's coolest 24 hour race, i'm down for a dry endurance event.

the hill climb at weaverville isn't that bad at all... in fact i rather enjoyed it.

i kept thinking how fun the DH would be if i could have gotten anything resembling traction.

mtbr member

Possibly....

Quote Originally Posted by tahiti
    I'm thinking about doing this as my first endurance race. Will there still be available campsites if I get there Friday early evening?
    ....but you may end up having to go to Douglas City, 8 miles east, or Junction City, 8 miles west.

Bigfoot

mtbr member

Unchained Solo And Single

We just received a Unicycle Solo entry, and we've had e-mails and phone calls from at least two more.

Looks to be an interesting year for the wackiest subset of endurance racing!

Bigfoot

NedwannaB

They got it easy....

We just received a Unicycle Solo entry,

Bigfoot
    .....only have to spin 1 wheel...... Awesome.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member

Weather report is looking good!

Yeah, it's hot in Weaverville right now (Saturday afternoon) but the long-range weather forecast calls for cooler temps later in the week, with low 80's predicted for race day, Saturday May 23. Yay!

After rain last year and hot hot the year before, it looks like it'll average out this year!

Bigfoot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast