jms
    mtbr member

12 Hours of Weaverville?

Well, there's juuust over a week until Memorial Day and that can only mean.... it's time to ignore that self-preservation thingy again and go do The Twelve Hours Of Weaverville! Solo...Oh good times!
    So who else is going to be there? Riding what class? What bike set-up? Again? Any tips on the course or bike set-up? Best camping spots? Good local funeral homes?
    It'll be my first time @ Weaverville. Going solo in Super-Fossil [50+] with either a Dos Niner or my other [new] bike.
    So, do tell all you fellow devotee's of self-destruction. Hope to see you all up there. And do wave to the life-less old guy in a heap by the side of the trail come race day.

dude with orange car
    Lifeless old guy by the side of the trail my ass. You'll be cheerfully passing people as you try to get annoying songs stuck in their heads to torment them.

Hie thee to Weaverville and show 'em who's boss.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

dude with orange car
    Double posting
    always double posting,
    double posting
    gets me every time.

(Sung to the tune of alouette.)
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

2012 Race: April 28th!
    I'm racing too. I'll be on a 3 man 40+ team. I haven't raced this on before, but I know the course, and its lots of fun. It'll be cold in the morning and warm in the afternoon, so plan for that. Oh yeah, and get ready to smile every time you hit the single track!
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Might be there

3 person coed. Riding a single speed. The course is pretty smooth, so a dos should be a good bike. The climb is all on a dirt road, but it does get pretty darn steep, and if its warm it has a couple of hot exposed sections in the afternoon.

As for camping, Weaverville campground is an excellent place to camp, and its just a couple miles from the school.

Nate

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I will be there from Oregon and hopefully not riding it Solo. I have done it each of last 2 eyars and had a blast on a three-man team (singlespeed).

Anyone looking to ride 6 hours with me on a two-man team?

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    if my bro flakes on his visit to Cali....i'll kidnap Plim....throw in my black-truck-of-doom and brainwash him into a solo venture during the 4 hours it takes to drive up there .....then ride Tahoe the next day......come to think about it....that sounds painful.....i hope my bro doesn't flake
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

We the people ... I'm thinking about soloing

Quote Originally Posted by jms
    Well, there's juuust over a week until Memorial Day and that can only mean.... it's time to ignore that self-preservation thingy again and go do The Twelve Hours Of Weaverville! Solo...Oh good times!
    So who else is going to be there? Riding what class? What bike set-up? Again? Any tips on the course or bike set-up? Best camping spots? Good local funeral homes?
    It'll be my first time @ Weaverville. Going solo in Super-Fossil [50+] with either a Dos Niner or my other [new] bike.
    So, do tell all you fellow devotee's of self-destruction. Hope to see you all up there. And do wave to the life-less old guy in a heap by the side of the trail come race day.
    Been debating this race since last year. Thinking about soloing it but I'm not sure. It would be solo singlespeed for me.

'r you some kinda ssissy?
    short of some tragedy, i'll be there. solo ss on one of my creations. probably "la tortuga". a rigid 29er.

190lbs of climber
    solo again for me, SS this time. Gravity day the next day, then riding somewhere on the drive home. Any suggestion for a good ride somewhere along the way from Weaverville to San Jose?
    THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by Menso
    solo again for me, SS this time. Gravity day the next day, then riding somewhere on the drive home. Any suggestion for a good ride somewhere along the way from Weaverville to San Jose?
    On Sunday? If I go to Weaverville I'm planning on hitting Boggs Mtn. and May By The Bay on the way back. Putting around at a snails pace on Sunday and hopefully managing to ride Oathill on Monday.

Incidentally... anyone interested in carpooling with me in the RV? Route as described above... Weaverville Friday night, Race Saturday, Boggs Sunday, then Oathill Monday finally returning to Stockton Monday. Sleep through work on Tuesday.

mtbr member
    Best camping spots? Good local funeral homes?
    :[/QUOTE]

East Weaver Campground is only 3 miles from the venue. It has pit toilets, fire-rings, real good water. There are only 12 or so sites, but they're real big, so think about doubling up so there will be sites left for late arrivals.

We'll be in Weaverville by mid-day Wednesday. The course should be fully marked by Thursday afternoon. If you're arriving early and want to hook up with us call (707)845-3095 or (707)845-6117

We need a few volunteers (timing desk, aid station) so if you have a non-racing friend/spouse/real intellegent dog/etc let us know. We'll find a job for them.

Bigfoot
    www.teambigfoot.net

pedal faster!
    Im riding solo again. I'm going to try to get in 8 laps. I'll leave my sleeping bag at the motel, so im not tempted like last year. as for my bike, ill be riding a blur XC (previously owned by MARK HENDERSHOT)
    ride it like you stole it

jms
    mtbr member

Moon Over Weaverville

I discovered a source of spontaneous human combustion on my 4th lap during "The 12 Hours of Weaverville": Four hours of racing with chafed butt cheeks in 90+ degree heat ellicts a flaming agony, best described as attempting to clench a lit, rearward facing road flare, with my thighs. Desperate times require desperate measures. With a quick glance back, to protect any following racers from the glare, and, while standing and turning over the big ring along the fire-road above the course's major climb, I pull my cycling shorts down to my upper thighs. "HELLO WEAVERVILLE" this butts for you! A cooling breeze wafts between my legs, snuffing out the inferno in my crotch. Sweet relief!
    For those of you lamenting northern California's lack of "Real" mountain bike racing, or boring courses, poor amenities, price gouging, or whatever....., I say, "participate in a Team Bigfoot event, and you missed a great event if you weren't in Weaverville. I met the promotor, Vic, at the East Weaver campgound on the Thursday evening prior to Saturday's 12 hr. race. I missed the slight smile, and glint in his eyes that might have warned me of Saturday's festivities, as he described the course as "challenging". Vic has a bright future as a dungeon master in Sado-Masochistic activites if the cycling thing doesn't work out.
    Friday morning a preview was in order, and I did rode down from the campground past the airport, through Weaverville and to start of Saurday's race. Weaverville is is in a valley just over 40 sinuous miles, west of Redding on Highway 299. The town is in a bowl surrounded by the Trinity Alps. The mountains around the town are heavily forested, sharp, green "dog teeth", interspersed a few pacthes of granite, snow and the occasional logging cut. Weaverville is well tended, diverse, friendly and seemingly a souce of great civic pride to it's residents. Wherever I went, residents and merchants were kind, freindly and accomodating to the racers. I always had the sense my presence in town was appreciated, without feeling that I was only being indulged as a source of income. Drivers would wave, stop and encourage me to cross in front of them, and give a huge "cushion" when passing beside me. Bike lanes were wide, clean and plentiful. Dream venue.
    My Friday practice lap began @ 9:45 am with the climb of Weaver-Bolly Rd. Middle-ringing along, I noticed how dry and loose the dirt over hardpack surface is. Oh well, at least it's not steep. It's going to be in the full sun on raceday, but I can hack 3.5 miles of this, for twelve hours. After a mile, the grade on Weaver-Bolly starts intermittently ramping up and easing off, then ramping more steeply and easing off less often, and for shorter distances with each sequence. Add the loose road surface that discouraged standing while climbing, and it's not nearly as comfortable as the base of the climb. Still middle-ring today ..... but come tomorrow. I'm beginning to wonder about Vic.
    Topping out and turning off Weaver Bolly, a conifer shaded logging road contours to the right @ 1400 ft. above Weaverville. The views southwest are endless expanses of forest and a logging road snaking below and to the right. After a mile in the big ring, the road pitches sharply down and intially sweeps casually right and left over water bars, and then into a hard left and down a steep, rutted and gullied double track.
    The doubletrack ends at a hard right onto a shaded sidehill singletrack, above a creek below and to the left. Alternately, fast, slow, smooth, and littered with baby-heads, the singletrack follows the streambed below before veering away and to the right into more exposed terrain. The Firs turn to an Oak forest and meadows of wild flowers, and the trail follows a gradual descent on abandoned flume trails. Sharp drops, short climbs, rock fields, and bridges punctuate the route back toward the start/finish area: The singletrack embodies a part of every moutainbikers favorite trail. It's all in there and it's just terrific stuff.
    With a few detours and stops, I'm down and headed back to town in just under two hours. Stop and talk to one of the ever kind, smiling, helpful, and enthusiastic racer/volunteers, Justin, who's shuttling Super D rides up to pre-ride the course, about tomorrow's XC. We agree it's not going to be easy, especially with the heat and loose conditions on Weaver-Bolly Rd. Stop at the Trinideli for an ice cream sandwich. More wonderful and enthusiastic local people. Back to the campground for a nap, a wheel change to a more durable tire/wheel combination, race-day preparation, dinner, etc......
    Saturday morning: breakfast and off to the start/finish @ the highschool by 7:30am. Pre-race meeting at 7:45am and Vic mentions almost gleefully that laps ending even one second after 8pm will not count, and that someone always manages to come in juuuussst a bit late. Too bad. So sad. Oh, and it's gonna be hot today too. Hmmmm...I'm beginning to understand that Vic's true calling may lie elsewhere.
    8am and we're off. Most of the solo's are doing the happy, cheery, group ride pace up the initail climb of Weaver-Bolly. Chatting with the neighbor on the left or right, full of hope and optimism. And as the pitch starts increasing, I start moving forward within this pack of solo riders. I'm in the granny ring doing the "all day, no load twirl", thinking, I can do this all day long......
    I'm thinking eight laps and a break in the middle gets me where I want to be 12 hours later. I come through start/finish after my first three lap slightly ahead of where I'm looking to be at 11:47am. I'm getting passed occasionally on the descents because I'm conserving energy. Spinning the fire-road climb and passing a few people towards the top each lap. I'm generally cruising no handed, without company on the flat logging road section. It's all moving along smartly for me except, it's getting kinda warm, my butt's a bit tender from all this seated spinning and the rough stretches heading down the singletrack. Oh, and there's the first little, briefest bit of a cramp in my inner thigh.
    Lap four, top of the climb, and it's " The Road Flare Rodeo" in my shorts, and I gotta do something about that. Well, no one's in sight, I gotta keep moving and quell the inferno below the beltline - I'ts "MOON OVER WEAVERVILLE time. OH Yeah, that really helps. Just don't crash or I'll be found in the brush with my shorts around my ankles.
    Lap five, I paused for a rest break, and to deal with a drivetrain that was masquerading as a breakfast cereal add: snap, crackle, crunch, pop, etc. As I changed my jersey and shorts, we brushed the dust off my back that was composed primarily of the salt from my sweat. I was talked into a longer break than I'd planned and re-started for my sixth lap @ 3:25pm. I suspected that I'd forfeited my chance for an eventual eighth lap by five minutes.
    The sixth time up Weaver Bolly was grim: No power; Cramps in both calves and quadriceps; A burning backside; 90+ degree heat; Being passed early and often on the lower portion. On upper, steeper reaches I began to re-pass people that were off and walking [lots of singlespeeders]. I crested the climb, and John, the most enthusiastic and optomistic course worker ever, was offering refreshments and encouragment to any and all, that passed his way. We did a "low five" as I passed through, and I said I'd be back. I rode out of sight of those behind me and dropped my shorts again. At which point my legs completely locked up, I coasted nearly to a stop, naked butt in the breeze, wondering how I was going to explain laying on my side, with my shorts down @ my thighs. A pack of gay coyotes, perhaps? Blessedly the cramp passed, I restarted, pulled up my shorts up as I I hit the descent, and cruised the singletrack in "conservation" mode back down toward start/finish.
    I checked in with Ray [a young, local volunteer] at the Solo scoring window. Told him it was nice to see him again. Ordered a burger, fries, and a bullet between my eyes as I started my seventh lap at 4:57pm. I figured I needed to be back by 6:25pm for my eighth lap or it would be futile. I didn't indulge my leg cramps and pushed a bit harder up Weaver Bolly. Didn't "drop trou" on the logging rd. Pushed a harder gear and did more late braking into the tighter corners down the forest track and flume trails, looking to have time for a last lap. All the while, I was marveling at the smells and scenery in the late afternoon. A sweet, painfully blissfull, and satisfying lap.
    I hit scoring at 6:30:15pm and Justin, yelled out, "Good job, John". I reloaded with water and gatorade and started my eighth lap, at 6:32pm - too late for anything but cramps and futility. One of the pro women said "Go, you can do a 1:20 lap". Really? Okay, grab your car keys and drive me to the top of the climb. Then, please follow me for a while on the logging road - I'd like to show you something really interesting........
    So, I aborted my eighth lap, knowing I'd miss the cut by seconds at best, minutes most likely. My S.O. apologized for holding me in too long on my fifth lap: Felled by a cup of coffee and Vanilla cake. Cest La Vie.
    At 6:45pm I hobbled out to "Julius" [our metallic orange Honda Element], dropped my stuff, sat on the tail-gate "Bliss-Ninnying" and reflected on my day: 7 laps, @ 82 miles; 9800 - 11,700 ft [depending on who was measuring] of climbing; 3 laps of leg cramps; And enough salt lost to fill an aqaurium. Good times! Contemplated my beer to come - a "Rogue Valley, Dead Guy Ale". It seemed appropriate.
    I got up, and said thank you to the organizer and volunteers as I hobbled over to the gym locker-room for a shower. After my shower, I flopped on the grass in front of scoring, where Vic, came over and gleefully asked if he should dig a hole next to me, and just roll my body in. Nice. You'll look great in those chaps, a leather vest, with that cat-of-nine tails whip there, Vic. .
    I finally sat up, staggered over to the scoring table to check the results. Amazing. I'd finally overtaken and put 10 minutes into my competition on my sixth lap. I did a seventh lap. He'd declined. I'd won by persevering. At 8:30 pm awards were presented in the high-school cafeteria. Another wonderful volunteer, Sandy, did the presentation along with Vic. Sandy is a Shasta Co. high-school teacher, and accomplished pro DH racer. She won the womens DH on Sunday. Lucky kids! I wish, I'd had teachers like this in my school days. The medals were more thought out and tasteful than any others I've seen to date. Other organizers and promoters could do well by emulating Vic and Team Bigfoot's trophies and prizes.
    And that's my strongest impression of the "Twelve Hours of Weaverville", it's what mountain biking should be: well organized; enthusastic and freindly; a challenging course; with a great venue and local support. And it deserves a bigger more appreciative audience than it got this year. Use it or loose it folks, MTB races don't get much better than this one. I'll be back next year - with sunscreen for my butt.

mtbr member
    I know this is off topic but shame on those who cheated at gravity day at weaverville this past weekend. My friend who was racing actually saw the route and saw the person in front of him take it. The "cheat" route would have saved a decent racer about 15-30 seconds. Since there were no officials it was his word vs the other racer. My friend said the guy who cheated was a local as he remembered his plate number and went back to the results to see who it was. I'm sure he wasn't the only one cheating, so shame on anyone who decided to cheat. My apologies for being off topic, the name Weaverville just set me off. Nothing against the town as I'm sure the riding there is epic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Cool-blue Rhythm Where..???

Trying to figure where you might cheat at the GD DH.. the course is mostly straight down, LOL ...Any idea..?? Might use it next time..

Young.Brash.Hopeful.
    Jul 2005
    Big props to all you 12 hour racers. My friends and I rolled into the school around 6:00pm on saturda just in time to catch the end of your race, you guys are savages! We had a good time at gravity day. Big thumbs up to the BigFoot crew for putting on the funnest race i've been to in a while.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Weaverville 12 results

Hey all,
    Anyone know where the results are posted? or are going to be?
    I'm hoping Vic posts all the lap times like he has in the past - I love studying all that data.
    Tom
    Lasciate Ogne Speranza, Voi Ch'Intrate
    ~Dante

mtbr member

They'll be on the website ASAP

Our main computer that we use for the website is having problems. Soooo, as soon as it's back from having it's guts probed and massaged I'll get all the lap board data up on the site. Check back Friday or Saturday.

Thanks to all who came out. See ya at the Bigfoot Classic in July!

Bigfoot
    www.teambigfoot.net

jms
    mtbr member

Thanks Vic

Vic,
    Thanks again for a great event @ Weaverville. I'll see you in August for the 12 hr @ Arcata.

NedwannaB

Great read jms!

Quote Originally Posted by jms
    Amazing. I'd finally overtaken and put 10 minutes into my competition on my sixth lap. I did a seventh lap. He'd declined. I'd won by persevering.
    Congrats on your victory & more importantly, your tenacity!! As with your thoughts of Vic having another calling, I think you might have one as well. To funny. Reading your story had me lol to a point of drawing attention from my co-worker in the adjacent office wondering what I was working on that could be so funny....heh.

Got me thinking maybe I'll see you up at Arcata and give it a shot.

JMac

mtbr member

Results

12 Hours of Weaverville 2007
    MT BIKE ENDURANCE RACE
    May 26th 2007
    RESULTS

__________________________________________________ ____
    CATEGORY: MEN SOLO BEGINNER
    __________________________________________________ ____
    1 #2 Steven Westberg BEND OR 7 LAPS 11:31:12

1: 1:17:46 1:17:46