mtbr member

12 Hours of Humboldt, Aug. 16, Arcata

NEW KINDER GENTLER COURSE
    More single-track and less climbing! Our course is under the redwoods of the 680 acre Arcata Community Forest. Every year the local mountain bike community works with the city to build new trails. The new addition to trail #6 that was built last summer wasn't ready for the 2007 event, but it is now! and it's sweet!

The distance this year is 8 miles with 1320' of climbing per lap, versus the 8.7 miles and 1475' of last year. And, since the new and improved trail #6 flows better in the opposite direction than the way we've always run our course, that's just what we're gonna do. Yeah, after all these years of doing the Arcata Community Forest clockwise this year its counter-clockwise. It's gonna be good! The course map is below, to see it full-sized go here http://www.teambigfoot.net/12hoursof...tcoursemap.htm

VENUE
    Not many mountain bike races have this kind of "in town" convenience. The start/finish/pits are in Redwood Park; a city park with paved parking, real bathrooms and even a children's playground. Most of the teams pit on the park lawn. We accomodate the solo riders by giving the first 20 to enter preferred parking, right next to the finish line. Redwood Park is right in town, so bike shops, grocery stores, etc. are just minutes away. Non-racing friends and family members don't have to hang around the race all day. Less than a mile away is the Arcata Plaza featuring the weekly Farmer's Market, live music and some of the best people watching on the planet. Shopping restaurants and movies are also nearby.

RACE FORMAT
    The 12 Hours of Humboldt goes from 8am to 8pm. You'll never see a LeMans start at a Team Bigfoot event. To get things going and to get everyone sorted out before the first singletrack we do a rolling start with all the pros and experts in front and the beginners in back. Only laps completed by 8pm count. At the completion of each lap a rider must dismount and walk/jog to the timing table to have that lap recorded. Our computerized timing system that we've used since '06 has been a dream.We put out current results every hour and can usually start the awards within 20 minutes of the finish.

CATEGORIES
    This event attracts a large number of solos, but it's still very popular for those who prefer to be on a team. We offer categories for 2-rider, 3-rider and 4-rider teams. Round up some friends and spend a day in Redwood Park and the Arcata Community Forest.

CATEGORIES: 1)Beginner... 2)Sport... 3)Expert... 4)Male Pro... 5)Male Jr (age17& under)... 6)Master (age 40+) ... 7)Super Master (age 50+)...
    8)Super Duper Master (age 60+)... 9)Women Jr.(age 17& under)... 10) Women Beginner
    11) Women Sport... 12) Women Expert/Pro...
    13) Mixed (at least one woman)
    14)Clydesdale (each rider 200lb+)... 15)Tandem (2 entries)... 16)Unicycle... 17) Singlespeed

Attached Images Attached Images

jms
    mtbr member

Crap!

Crap Vic! I liked last years course!!!! Oh well, I'm sure I'll like this one too, they're always great. See ya there, and I hope it's a blast @ RAAM

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Low temps and clean air!!

To those of you who have been enduring stifling heat and smokey air, I'm sorry to share that I just did a lap of the 12 Hours of Humboldt course...and had to wear a long sleeve jersey. Yeah, it was about 54 degrees, today's high temp will be 60!

Air quality? Freshly manufactured oxygen thanks to them big ol' redwoods.

So how 'bout it? See ya on August 16?

http://www.teambigfoot.net/12hoursofhumboldt08.htm

Bigfoot

190lbs of climber
    I think I will be making the trek up there for this one. How are the climbs in terms of length? Short grunts (<1/4 mile) or long like Weaverville? I'm trying to decide between monster gear single speed or normal XC bike. JMS, got room for one more?

and Vic, I love the Escher reference, though personally I don't mind climbing all day!
    THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Vic,
    Still not sure if I can make it up, will we be able to sign up on Fri. afternoon or Sat. morning?
    I personally liked the previous courses BECAUSE they climbed so much, but understand your need to make it a bit more friendly.

mtbr member

Climbing info

The first one, trail #3 is the longest of the steep ones at about 1/4 mile. Very steep for the first 100 yards, then it's middle ring the rest of the way.

Trail #9 is long too, but is much less steep...middle ring the whole way.

Trail #6 is a singletrack descent to the creek, then it's a straight shot climb back out for about 250 yards.

Trail #8 is much like #9, middle ring, easy to get a good rhythm going.

Bigfoot
    http://www.teambigfoot.net/12hoursofhumboldt08.htm

mtbr member

Sign-up Friday and Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Allan
    Vic,
    Still not sure if I can make it up, will we be able to sign up on Fri. afternoon or Sat. morning?
    I personally liked the previous courses BECAUSE they climbed so much, but understand your need to make it a bit more friendly.
    Hola Sean,
    Yes, you can sign-up the day before at Redwood Park. Race day sign-up is 6am to 7am and there's a $15 day-of fee.

And, there's still plenty of climbing for sickos like you!

Bigfoot

jms
    mtbr member

PM me or......

Quote Originally Posted by Menso
    JMS, got room for one more?
    Sigh...... I suppose I can find room for the local "Pro" in Thidwick. I'm leaving for Arcata sometime Thursday. Will that conflict with your autograph signing schedule?. As far as getting home, either you accept being kidnapped and spirited off to Oakridge OR for @ 10 days, or your it's "Go Greyhound and leave the driving to us...." for getting home.
    Seriously Menso, I can haul you and two bikes up to Arcata w/me, but I'm not coming back down from Oregon till @ the 27th. And you're welcome to join me up there too. PM or call me.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hell, I'll find my own way there if I can be kidnapped and wake up in Oakridge!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    This is a fun, fun course. I really like the new sections, although the satanic root section is gone!

This is the wife's first race, my first in about 15 years. We're really looking forward to it! Kudos on this course. It should be a blast.

190lbs of climber
    Quote Originally Posted by jms
    Sigh...... I suppose I can find room for the local "Pro" in Thidwick. I'm leaving for Arcata sometime Thursday. Will that conflict with your autograph signing schedule?. As far as getting home, either you accept being kidnapped and spirited off to Oakridge OR for @ 10 days, or your it's "Go Greyhound and leave the driving to us...." for getting home.
    Seriously Menso, I can haul you and two bikes up to Arcata w/me, but I'm not coming back down from Oregon till @ the 27th. And you're welcome to join me up there too. PM or call me.
    Thanks for the offer, but no-can-do since I have to be back at work on Tuesday. I'll probably see you up there still.
    THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL