Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

0ff T0ff1c: Is there a better band than Led Zeppelin?

9K views 134 replies 60 participants last post by  JFA*SC 
#1 ·
Well?

#8 ·
Lots of kickass rock bands from the U.K., but I think the top honours go to Pink Floyd. In many ways not as "rockin'" as Led Zeppelin, but I am more in sync personally with Pink Floyd's music/lyrics than Zeppelin. Personal preference.

Pink Floyd Pigs (three different ones) Animal - YouTube

^ best tune ever probably from Pink Floyd. :band:

#56 ·
My favorite 'Floyd album too, but my favorite track is Dogs. Best Floyd song is very hard to pick. There's some great live versions of Comfortably Numb. IMHO, the best live version of a Pink Floyd song is Echoes from Dave Gilmour's Live at GDansk Shipyards - this was one of the last performances to include Richard Wright who is no longer with us. There's also a great version of Shine On on this album plus on Royal Albert Hall live album. Roger Waters has excellent versions of Dogs and Welcome to the Machine on the live set from early '00s (saw that concert).

#75 ·
I really think music is generational. My wife likes Led Zeppelin and actually played it for our first dance at our wedding - but I never could get into it. I grew up on RAP music, so my favorite band of all time is Public Enemy.

Before Public Enemy, I was listening to bubblegum rap like the Fat Boys and DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince.

Man... that first time I heard "Night of the Living Baseheads" and Chuck D's first line, "HERE IT IS BAM! AND YOU SAY GODDAMN, THIS IS A DOPE JAM!!!!" It was on a station from UCSC.

This is when BMX just started really getting deep with street and urban riding, so I'd get amped up listening to P.E. and put black rainbows on walls (wall rides), feeble grind planter boxes and bunnyhop over garbage cans. Ultra aggressive music for a 13 yr. old Dion-boy on a BMX bike.

OOH! And then when "Fight the Power" came out in 1989? Wow... nothing made us more amped for riding and ditching security guards. We were such little BMX asshøles! :lol:

BMX, Public Enemy and Black Flag just worked really well together.

#76 ·
I really think music is generational. My wife likes Led Zeppelin and actually played it for our first dance at our wedding - but I never could get into it. I grew up on RAP music, so my favorite band of all time is Public Enemy.

Before Public Enemy, I was listening to bubblegum rap like the Fat Boys and DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince.

Man... that first time I heard "Night of the Living Baseheads" and Chuck D's first line, "HERE IT IS BAM! AND YOU SAY GODDAMN, THIS IS A DOPE JAM!!!!" It was on a station from UCSC.

This is when BMX just started really getting deep with street and urban riding, so I'd get amped up listening to P.E. and put black rainbows on walls (wall rides), feeble grind planter boxes and bunnyhop over garbage cans. Ultra aggressive music for a 13 yr. old Dion-boy on a BMX bike.

OOH! And then when "Fight the Power" came out in 1989? Wow... nothing made us more amped for riding and ditching security guards. We were such little BMX asshøles! :lol:

BMX, Public Enemy and Black Flag just worked really well together.
Same here. I didn't really even know the music of LZ, Hendrix or any of the others mentioned until late in high school when I realized all the other white kids listened to classic rock, not Hip Hop. In terms of straight up Arena Rock type stuff, it's hard to argue with Zeppelin just based on their never ending catalog of songs. For me, Sabbath is definitely up there. Love their very bass/rhythm heavy sound. Different genre but I love me some Animals and WAR as well. I was very into My Morning Jacket a few years ago which had some LZ arena rock tendencies. Lot's of good music out there and I try to listen to as much as I can.

#53 ·
Oh. My. God. Donati is a monster. Loves me some Planet X with on Derek Sherinian on keys. Just bought another DS solo disc, Oceana, and was disappointed that Simon Phillips was on drums. He's no slouch, but Virgil is a drum god in my book. Bonham? That was then, this is now.

PM me if you need some tunes with VD. Hey, that doesn't look right. :D

#19 ·
No, Zeppelin was a lot more than just a band, it captured the essence of many different lands in sound. The BBC sessions are a good start to really get into it. They simply overpowered any competing rock band at the time. They had their own jet.

2nd, well, I listen to a LOT of different music, so I'm by no means only a metal-head, but I gotta say that Iron Maiden is pretty amazing, with some pretty melodic compositions, it's not quite as collective, at least it hasn't always been, but it's amazing to have seen so many "metal" acts come and go, in both their presence and their musical ability, while maiden has endured. There's a lot of good singers, but that's a good singer in a good band, and it's hard to get the idea of how their seen internationally from the US, but other parts of the world still go nuts when they tour. They have their own jet.

I think of Tool a little more like Pink Floyd, with one composition rolling into the next, complex sounds but also melodic at times. I think Tool is getting off track though, they've gone from very simple loud songs to more melodic compositions to bongo-drums and flutes or something for 9 minutes. I think there was a definite sweet-spot in there, around Lateralus and Aenema, it seems like the newest stuff is getting strung even more out and starting to fall apart musically, as if it's it's getting so complex it's losing what defines it.

#20 ·
Pink floyd is not even in the same book as Zeppelin, nor is the the Beetles or any other of that dribble,
Zeppelin stands alone on the top of the heap for musical genius and class..
With Mother Love Bone right up there.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.