Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I really think music is generational. My wife likes Led Zeppelin and actually played it for our first dance at our wedding - but I never could get into it. I grew up on RAP music, so my favorite band of all time is Public Enemy.

Before Public Enemy, I was listening to bubblegum rap like the Fat Boys and DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince.

Man... that first time I heard "Night of the Living Baseheads" and Chuck D's first line, "HERE IT IS BAM! AND YOU SAY GODDAMN, THIS IS A DOPE JAM!!!!" It was on a station from UCSC.

This is when BMX just started really getting deep with street and urban riding, so I'd get amped up listening to P.E. and put black rainbows on walls (wall rides), feeble grind planter boxes and bunnyhop over garbage cans. Ultra aggressive music for a 13 yr. old Dion-boy on a BMX bike.

OOH! And then when "Fight the Power" came out in 1989? Wow... nothing made us more amped for riding and ditching security guards. We were such little BMX asshøles!

BMX, Public Enemy and Black Flag just worked really well together.
    Same here. I didn't really even know the music of LZ, Hendrix or any of the others mentioned until late in high school when I realized all the other white kids listened to classic rock, not Hip Hop. In terms of straight up Arena Rock type stuff, it's hard to argue with Zeppelin just based on their never ending catalog of songs. For me, Sabbath is definitely up there. Love their very bass/rhythm heavy sound. Different genre but I love me some Animals and WAR as well. I was very into My Morning Jacket a few years ago which had some LZ arena rock tendencies. Lot's of good music out there and I try to listen to as much as I can.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by X-FXR View Post
    No one can argue the best 80's song, that defined....well nothing really...lol

Eddie Murphy/Rick James - Party All The Time - YouTube
    The back stories on some of the Rick James/Eddie Murphy/Charlie Murphy hijinks are hilarious.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    With Mother Love Bone right up there.......
    "Say he who rides the pony must some day fall"...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Jimi was GREAT...way ahead of his time in ability w/o all of the electronics available today.Floyd fans...what about Echoes? Listen to California Guitar Trio playing this and remember these are acoustic guitars. Happy 2013!

Lightly salted
    [QUOTE=Dion;10029580]I really think music is generational. My wife likes Led Zeppelin and actually played it for our first dance at our wedding - but I never could get into it. I grew up on RAP music, so my favorite band of all time is Public Enemy.

Before Public Enemy, I was listening to bubblegum rap like the Fat Boys and DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince.
    QUOTE]

I grew up in the same era, I'm in my mid 30's now.. Sounds just like my child hood. Listening to early rap, riding bmx, brake dancing and terrorizing the neighborhood, LOL! Every where we went we had our bmx bikes and some cardboard to brake dance on.
    Now that I'm older I don't like rap, but do like songs from the Doors, Hendrix, etc...
    My parents were old school strict mexican. I do remember when I was young riding my bike to the flea market and buying a Kiss 8 track. I went home and was blasting it. My parents came home and caught me listening to it. I got the holy crap beat out of me for listening to the devils music! Ah, the good old days!
    Last edited by fuenstock; 01-02-2013 at 11:19 AM.

Aussie Battler
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    I gotta go Pink Floyd with Zep, Rush, Tool, Black Sabbath, Porcupine Tree a tie for second.

Zep was musically very, very talented, but Pink Floyd has their talent (omitting Nick Mason's drums, which were good but nothing ground breaking), plus an extraordinary artistic creativity in their concept albums (mostly Waters), combined with more intelligent, meaningful & symbolic lyrics (again mostly Waters).

"Been workin from seven,
    To eleven every night
    Really makes my life a drag
    I don't think that's right"

"Forward he cried from the rear
    And the front ranks died
    The general sat
    And the lines on the map moved from side to side"
    One of my faves, from The Final Cut:

"Maniacs don't blow holes
    In bandsmen by remote control"

mtbr member
    I saw LZ live at GG park and at a Day on the Green and they sucked massively both times. Robert Plant couldn't sing a note and what's his name was so high he could barely play is guitar. I was a big LZ fan but after those two experiences they were permanently bumped off my greatest list. For me I gotta go with the Stones for their body of work, ability to preform live and their ability to still produce relevant music and Pink Floyd for their body of work and preform live.
    Last edited by reydin; 01-02-2013 at 12:31 PM.
    This may be a total waste of time but I can't help but think that you might amount to something someday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reydin View Post
    I saw LZ live at GG park and at a Day on the Green and they sucked massively both times. Robert Plant couldn't sing a note and what's his name was so high he could barely play is guitar. I was a big LZ fan but after those two experiences they were permanently bumped off my greatest list. For me I gotta go with the Stones for their body of work, preform live and their ability to still produce relevant music and Pink Floyd for their body of work and preform live.
    That happened to me at the 2 different Jane's Addiction concerts I attended...still like em but will never pay to see em again. To refer to Jimmy Page as 'what's his name' however is blasphemous sir. (Like many rock gods live shows will be hit or miss...I stopped buying LZ live albums cause you never know what you are going to get...SRTS remains to be my all time favorite album)
    Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

Puro Vida!
    Justin bieber!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    To refer to Jimmy Page as 'what's his name' however is blasphemous sir.
    Lol, well, maybe, a little
    This may be a total waste of time but I can't help but think that you might amount to something someday.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    That happened to me at the 2 different Jane's Addiction concerts I attended...still like em but will never pay to see em again. To refer to Jimmy Page as 'what's his name' however is blasphemous sir. (Like many rock gods live shows will be hit or miss...I stopped buying LZ live albums cause you never know what you are going to get...SRTS remains to be my all time favorite album)
    Then I guess you missed the December 1990 JA shows in SJ and SF where Primus and the Pixies opened, and JA headlined and ROCKED OUT with incredible performances! Too bad Perry's vocals have deteriorated so much since then...

mtbr member
    Curious what you guys think of the new Alice in Chains...I think I like it but I always liked that sound:

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Quote Originally Posted by gregk2001 View Post
    One of my faves, from The Final Cut:

"Maniacs don't blow holes
    In bandsmen by remote control"
    Great album, so many themes going simultaneously on that one. Much harder for most folks to latch on to.

I see your final cut and raise you an Amused to Death sir!

"we watched the tragedy unfold
    We did as we were told
    We bought and sold
    It was the greatest show on earth!
    . . . But then it was over . . .

We oohed and awed
    We drove our racing cars
    Ate our last few jars of caviar
    And somewhere out in the stars
    A keen eyed look out spied a flickering light"
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

Aussie Battler
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sjhiker View Post
    Ok... in no particular order... my favs...

• Boston
    • The Beatles
    • Pink Floyd (Always been a fan of "On the Turning Away")
    • Metallica
    • KISS (Greatest *show*)
    • Parliament (Seen them at the Fillmore, they played for 6 hrs straight)
    • Twisted Sister (Who doesn't Want to Rock)
    An excellent live version of On the Turning Away is on the Delicate Sound of Thunder album. Takes me away from reality for a while - no substance assistance required

mtb
    you guys should check out Led Zeppagain. Awesome tribute band..

mtbr member
    Led Zeppelin and Iron Maiden are the two greatest rock bands of all time. Both are immortal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nelson34 View Post
    justin bieber!
    +1000000

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Queen, Bone Thugs N Harmony, Peter Paul and Mary, Air Supply and 311
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Snowjnky McDreamy
    forgot to mention the Beatles, they IMO are better than LZ
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    Queen, Bone Thugs N Harmony, Peter Paul and Mary, Air Supply and 311
    Uh, no ABBA dude! They are the shiznits.

Beatles.. meh Rolling Stones were a larger influence imho...Then again two almost separate genres...
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride."

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Love Rush, Zep, Floyd, Smashing Pumpkins, Sabbath, White Stripes, LivingColour, Public Enemy, Johnny Cash...

But I'm with Ferrentino -- James Brown is the best mtb riding music. Nothing comes close. Good gawd!

mtbr member
    I was at Altamont.

mtbr member
    Black Sabbath
    Sex Pistols
    Doors
    Generation X
    Nightwish
    Lacuna Coil
    Now I am hooked on Vive la Fête!!!!!

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    These guys took it to...another level!

DREAD ZEPPELIN Stairway To Heaven (Godzilla!) - YouTube
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    To honor some of you leaning Floyd, I rode to Pink Floyd Pandora moments ago. Playlist ended up with 33% Floyd, 33% Zeppelin, and 30% everyone else listed here (sort of).

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast