• 01-01-2013
    Repack Rider
    I was a roadie for one of the SF bands mentioned above, the Sons of Champlin, from 1968 until 2010. I worked on shows with pretty nearly every sixties and seventies band.

What people like musically is as diverse as what they like in bikes. One size does not fit all. I saw amazing shows by legendary artists, and I have to say that Ike and Tina Turner in 1969 were about as good a show as you could ever get. That was before a friend of mine played bass with that group and I found out what a monstrous jerk Ike Turner was. But the band was hot and Tina was off the charts.

I worked on a summer tour with the Sons of Champlin and Average White Band. Pretty good show that.

I saw Santana in early 1969 when they were unknown and played audition night at the Fillmore, one of only two bands to go from a Tuesday audition to a weekend headline. (The other was Tower of Power.) Santana sounded like their first album as soon as they took the stage for the first time. How did an act like that put itself together in a garage?
  • 01-01-2013
    Couch Bike Dude
    1 Attachment(s)
    When I had my sweety take the picture with my 1977 world tour hoodie, she said "You know what I think!"
    I guess I have to register her vote, certainly there is no doubt that they are the "World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band."
    But that's not the proposition is it?
  • 01-01-2013
    Finch Platte
    Quote:

Originally Posted by icantdrive65 View Post
    Best drummer? Sorry to skip the 60s and 70s, but Virgil Donati takes that one.

I realize this is all in fun, but these guys take what Led Zeppelin started and keep it going into the next century.

Planet X @ Live in Bulgaria (2001) - YouTube

Oh. My. God. Donati is a monster. Loves me some Planet X with on Derek Sherinian on keys. Just bought another DS solo disc, Oceana, and was disappointed that Simon Phillips was on drums. He's no slouch, but Virgil is a drum god in my book. Bonham? That was then, this is now.

PM me if you need some tunes with VD. Hey, that doesn't look right. :D
  • 01-01-2013
    Skyline35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by edmorales View Post
    best drummer? ginger baker

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/37768135" width="800" height="450" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/37768135">Ginger Baker documentary, "Beware of Mr. Baker" SXSW Preview</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user6168942">Jay Bulger</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

(Language nsfw)
  • 01-01-2013
    sjhiker
    Ok... in no particular order... my favs...

• Boston
    • The Beatles
    • Pink Floyd (Always been a fan of "On the Turning Away")
    • Metallica
    • KISS (Greatest *show*)
    • Parliament (Seen them at the Fillmore, they played for 6 hrs straight)
    • Twisted Sister (Who doesn't Want to Rock)
  • 01-01-2013
    gregk2001
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Lots of kickass rock bands from the U.K., but I think the top honours go to Pink Floyd. In many ways not as “rockin’” as Led Zeppelin, but I am more in sync personally with Pink Floyd’s music/lyrics than Zeppelin. Personal preference.

Pink Floyd Pigs (three different ones) Animal - YouTube

^ best tune ever probably from Pink Floyd. :band:

My favorite 'Floyd album too, but my favorite track is Dogs. Best Floyd song is very hard to pick. There's some great live versions of Comfortably Numb. IMHO, the best live version of a Pink Floyd song is Echoes from Dave Gilmour's Live at GDansk Shipyards - this was one of the last performances to include Richard Wright who is no longer with us. There's also a great version of Shine On on this album plus on Royal Albert Hall live album. Roger Waters has excellent versions of Dogs and Welcome to the Machine on the live set from early '00s (saw that concert).
  • 01-01-2013
    gregk2001
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    Zztop-have to say between gilmour and page-gilmour-although it's a close race. But no one can touch Hendrix. Setzer rocks cause he brought back Gretsch guitars and can front a orchestra.

Most of my top artist choices feature a prominent guitarist since I'm a hobby axe player. After Floyd and Zep order is not defined but includes: Santana, BB King, Stevie Ray Vaughan, early Clapton (Cream), Roy Buchanan, Dire Straits, Hendrix - all guitarists that can *move* me - conversely, Joe Satriani is technically brilliant but does not *move* me.
  • 01-01-2013
    X-FXR
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    They rocked from Rush all the way through Signals, and after that I believe their sound started to get a bit wimpy for my tastes. Favourite album from them probably is a toss-up between 2112, Caress of Steel, or Permanent Waves. I borrowed their latest album from my boss, listened to it two times through, but it didn’t grow on me.

Now, the new Van Halen (A Different Kind of Truth), on the other hand… ROCKIN’!!!:cornut::band::cornut:

Agreed! Downloaded the album the day it came out and hit the concert in Oakland. Great music w/ nothing but killer vibes, unlike when Sammy had the reigns. Dave isn't anywhere on par musicianship of LZ guys but nonetheless VH is always rockn' on my playlists.....just good times!
  • 01-01-2013
    Dirt Velo
    black flag...
  • 01-01-2013
    raleigh5
    frank zappa & the mothers( and other variations ) to name 1
  • 01-01-2013
    Tone's
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaGro View Post
    Hands down Led Zeppelin is #1. Remember, they were a manufactured supergroup with no ties other than the music and 9 albums later they have a song library that would make everyone but the Beatles jealous.

But...have a think about a couple of short-lived incredibly innovative bands.
    2. Rage Against The Machine - Tom Morelo creating that wall of sound with his guitar, experimental like Page but in a modern style. Zach screaming out his anger. They flat rock.
    2. Nirvana - Kurt, Dave Grohl, Novaselic. Northwest post punk that hit new heights when they turned it all back to acoustic. Real genius in there.

The list of great bands is long and I have left out the great solo artists, the Robert Johnson's, Buddy Guys, BB Kings, Neil Youngs, Jay-Z, Tupac, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Bonnie Rait, etc, etc, etc...but these 3 share a special place at the top of my list and are always in heavy rotation.

HAHAHAHA ''Jay Z and Tupac'' and Nirvana, lol, thanks for the laugh :thumbsup:
  • 01-01-2013
    Tone's
    Quote:

Originally Posted by X-FXR View Post
    Agreed! Downloaded the album the day it came out and hit the concert in Oakland. Great music w/ nothing but killer vibes, unlike when Sammy had the reigns. Dave isn't anywhere on par musicianship of LZ guys but nonetheless VH is always rockn' on my playlists.....just good times!

Van Halen rock, killer band one of my all time favs, not the greatest of all time, but at the top of the heap for killer rock, just love em.:thumbsup:
  • 01-01-2013
    Tone No Balone
    saw four or five shows of Pink Floyd in various venues in the bay area back in the early to mid 70's and they are still vivid in my minds eye!
    Live quad was the rage then!!

Dark Side Of The Moon 73
    Wish You Were Here 75
    Animals 77
    :eekster:
  • 01-01-2013
    Entrenador
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sjhiker View Post
    Ok... in no particular order... my favs...
    ...[*]Parliament (Seen them at the Fillmore, they played for 6 hrs straight)

Thank you for the reminder. We stayed for 3hours, but my ride was leaving so I missed the rest. Never danced so much.
  • 01-01-2013
    sjhiker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tone No Balone View Post
    Animals 77
    :eekster:

The first time I went to visit the Vietnam memorial in DC, a bunch of guys (may a dozen or so) broke out in their rendition of We've Gotta Get Outta This Place...
  • 01-01-2013
    zarr
    B.T, Express and Earth,Wind,and Fire.
    Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band.
    Sly & The Family Stone.
    James Brown Band.
  • 01-02-2013
    GuruAtma
    As a little kid when I first started listening to Led Zep in the 70's I didn't think they were a band as much as they were magic---most of their albums didn't have their pictures on the cover, and they sang songs about Lord of the Rings. You couldn't get any cooler than that.
  • 01-02-2013
    ancient rascal
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GuruAtma View Post
    As a little kid when I first started listening to Led Zep in the 70's I didn't think they were a band as much as they were magic---most of their albums didn't have their pictures on the cover, and they sang songs about Lord of the Rings. You couldn't get any cooler than that.

+1 ... "And Gollum the evil one crept up and slipped away with her" something like that.
  • 01-02-2013
    phoenixnr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Pink floyd is not even in the same book as Zeppelin, nor is the the Beetles or any other of that dribble,
    Zeppelin stands alone on the top of the heap for musical genius and class..
    With Mother Love Bone right up there.......

+1 let's not forget range too

"So I'm packing my bag for the misty mountain.."
  • 01-02-2013
    Dion
    Carly Rae Jepsen.
  • 01-02-2013
    SS Hack
    LZ just ripped off too much of their music to be the best - they should be making payments to half the blues players that ever lived. Pink Floyd and the Beatles were much more original. I will say, no American bands can compete with the Brits however.
  • 01-02-2013
    X-FXR
    No one can argue the best 80's song, that defined....well nothing really...lol

Eddie Murphy/Rick James - Party All The Time - YouTube
  • 01-02-2013
    X-FXR
    No doubt LZ, The Who, Beatles we had our own great bands as well.. Whether it’s a genre that appeals to you or not hard to not acknowledge the following bands are in their own right great bands.

The Allman Brothers Band

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Eagles

The Doors

The Doors were, for a brief period, the most startling, innovative and compelling band to surface from the mid-’60s Los Angeles hotbed. Bathed in psychedelia. They were allowed to experiment, court controversy and deliver music that touched greatness.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

The Ramones
    Joey, Johnny, Dee Dee and Tommy – The Ramones – were one of the most important bands of the 20th Century. At a time when rock had become bloated and pretentious, The Ramones dialed it back to its essentials: two minutes of guitar, bass and drums played at the speed of a runaway subway train. What set them apart from many of their punk contemporaries was the surprising sincerity with which they played. While others sneered for the sake of sneering, Joey and the boys clearly loved rock and roll played the way it should be played – loud, fast and with reckless abandon. Gabba Gabba Hey!
  • 01-02-2013
    derekbob
    Black Sabbath deserves a spot on the short list, maybe not above Led Zep, but they are up there. Sabbath started out with 6 epic albums. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage are awesome.

My top 5 (in no order, its too tough to decide)

Black Sabbath
    Led Zeppelin
    Beatles
    Jimi Hendrix Experience
    Bob Marley and The Wailers

Honorable Mention
    The Who
    The Stones
    Pink Floyd
    The Doors
    Metallica
    X
    Parliament
  • 01-02-2013
    Dion
    I really think music is generational. My wife likes Led Zeppelin and actually played it for our first dance at our wedding - but I never could get into it. I grew up on RAP music, so my favorite band of all time is Public Enemy.

Before Public Enemy, I was listening to bubblegum rap like the Fat Boys and DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince.

Man... that first time I heard "Night of the Living Baseheads" and Chuck D's first line, "HERE IT IS BAM! AND YOU SAY GODDAMN, THIS IS A DOPE JAM!!!!" It was on a station from UCSC.

This is when BMX just started really getting deep with street and urban riding, so I'd get amped up listening to P.E. and put black rainbows on walls (wall rides), feeble grind planter boxes and bunnyhop over garbage cans. Ultra aggressive music for a 13 yr. old Dion-boy on a BMX bike.

OOH! And then when "Fight the Power" came out in 1989? Wow... nothing made us more amped for riding and ditching security guards. We were such little BMX asshøles! :lol:

BMX, Public Enemy and Black Flag just worked really well together.