Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Puro Vida!
    Zztop-have to say between gilmour and page-gilmour-although it's a close race. But no one can touch Hendrix. Setzer rocks cause he brought back Gretsch guitars and can front a orchestra.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    I'm not going to call them the best, but Zepplin is definitely in the hunt.

I'm a big fan of Bonham. Listen carefully to his playing. It's easy to miss, but he never plays it 100% straight. There is something just a little loose and off-balance about his style that gave Zep that little extra. Most of the time he is subtle about it, but it's always there. Love it.

Take a good listen to the Physical Graffiti double album. 15 songs, and no two songs sound even REMOTELY the same. It contains 15 completely different musical styles in one album. How did they do that?

Aussie Battler
    Dec 2012
    Led Zep is my #2.

#1 is Pink Floyd

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Rush > all other bands combined and they're still making new music and touring every year. No other band can say that. No other band has the talent of Alex, Geddy, and Neil.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregk2001 View Post
    Led Zep is my #2.

#1 is Pink Floyd
    You must be tired ... Aussigreg! ... please go to bed.
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

mtbr member
    They are definitely a close second after Culture Club.

Made this video Jan 14th last year, cool but I hope to never do it that time a year again.

10 years gone
    Freel Pass Jan 14th 2012 - YouTube
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 01-01-2013 at 08:32 AM.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

jrm
    mtbr member

Physical Graffiti

remains in the playlist. The BBC stuff is great as well
    Last edited by jrm; 01-01-2013 at 05:58 PM.

sftrydr
    Saw LZ live a few times in the 60's, when their 1st+2nd albums were fresh on the scene.
    1 show at Winterlandin SF, the stage was placed on the covered ice,and required the band to be walked through the crowd to get onstage.
    Remember being near the front of the stage, then, this big ol black hand just moves me over a foot or so, the ,walking behind this gentle giant, are the 3 members of LZ.
    Plant w his magnificent mane of hair, Page w his Axe, Bonham w his sticks....Fkkn Rawk Gawds...
    Up on stage they hopped, plugged in+threw down.
    Many of the previously mentioned faves are great bands,
    For me, LZ wasn't no sit down+be entertained band...they were a no sittin allowed rock show.

I'm unlucky now to be old+semi deaf...but damn fortunate to have seen LZ,Lee Michaels,Savoy Brown,The Faces,Albert King,Country Joe,Quicksilver,Mike Bloomfield,Cream,Grateful Dead,Sons of Champlin,Tower of Power,CCR,Felix Cavaliere,Cold Blood...the list goes on...in their 1960's glory here in SF.
    As far as the best...all situational for me....
    Best memories are generally the crowd...Albert King really sticks out as weaving the fun during his shows.
    Watch-listen to this whole damn song, and just remember, The blues had a baby and they named it Rock n Roll
    Albert King - Born Under a Bad Sign (Live in Sweden 1980).mp4 - YouTube
    Last edited by ssulljm; 01-01-2013 at 11:55 AM.

grinder
    Quote Originally Posted by sumgai View Post
    rush
    + 1

mtbr member
    Great tribute too Zeppelin on the Kennedy center honors a few days ago. Definitely worth checking out if you can.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Are we putting air in the tires today?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hands down Led Zeppelin is #1. Remember, they were a manufactured supergroup with no ties other than the music and 9 albums later they have a song library that would make everyone but the Beatles jealous.

But...have a think about a couple of short-lived incredibly innovative bands.
    2. Rage Against The Machine - Tom Morelo creating that wall of sound with his guitar, experimental like Page but in a modern style. Zach screaming out his anger. They flat rock.
    2. Nirvana - Kurt, Dave Grohl, Novaselic. Northwest post punk that hit new heights when they turned it all back to acoustic. Real genius in there.

The list of great bands is long and I have left out the great solo artists, the Robert Johnson's, Buddy Guys, BB Kings, Neil Youngs, Jay-Z, Tupac, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Bonnie Rait, etc, etc, etc...but these 3 share a special place at the top of my list and are always in heavy rotation.

mtbr member
    0ff T0ff1c: Is there a better band than Led Zeppelin?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357060493.015882.jpg
    Nuf said!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider View Post
    Great tribute too Zeppelin on the Kennedy center honors a few days ago. Definitely worth checking out if you can.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Cool to see the Prez singing along to Whole Lotta Love and to see Robert Plant get all teary when the chorus joins in on Stairway. I think Heart were the only ones who really did justice to the vocals. You could tell Dave Grohl was in heaven playing drums.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma View Post

Cool to see the Prez singing along to Whole Lotta Love and to see Robert Plant get all teary when the chorus joins in on Stairway. I think Heart were the only ones who really did justice to the vocals. You could tell Dave Grohl was in heaven playing drums.
    Yay! We were just watching this clip recently, too. Loved seeing Robert Plant try to hold back tears, & Jimmy Page beaming the whole time. That was a brilliant rendition of Stairway - every musician there was just completely ecstatic.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sumgai View Post
    Rush > all other bands combined and they're still making new music and touring every year. No other band can say that. No other band has the talent of Alex, Geddy, and Neil.
    A big fan of Rush....But even a hardcore fan needs to admit the music sucked from Hold Your Fire on. Before that they were rock band that put out music that wasn't main stream and pushed some of the music boundaries....still making music isn't a qualification that necessarily makes you the best. In fact some bands loose their way and never recaptured the glory days.
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride."

mtbr member
    The best band in the world is tough to define with all the genre and everyone's music tastes. However, the effect on the music world and the complexity of music and pushing the limits the world has experienced is a method to which rate a band. Led Zepplin essentially stopped after Bonham's death.... that in it self helped the band keep itself at the top. The turmoil of and breakup of Floyd makes it difficult to follow the band, but most of their songs are better when sedated. Led Zepplin can play songs the capture the essence of Flyod but also add so much more dynamically to the music. My favorite album of LZ is How the West Was Won...digitally remastered, though not much ahead honestly of song remains the same
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride."

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've always liked Moon as a drummer more than Bonham. Bonham was good, excellent in fact, but too measured and precise at times. He could do "anything", but the drumming wasn't to that level on every song. Sometimes better live, but on many recordings he was an equal part of the band, and I liked the collective efforts of LZ better than the Who. But when it comes to drumming, I didn't think that Bonham had the same creativity level of Moon. If he was, he didn't exploit it at all. Just the drumming of The Who was a magical ride, just as the songs of LZ were.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma View Post

OMG that was really something ! + rep
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

> /dev/null 2&>1
    I gotta go Pink Floyd with Zep, Rush, Tool, Black Sabbath, Porcupine Tree a tie for second.

Zep was musically very, very talented, but Pink Floyd has their talent (omitting Nick Mason's drums, which were good but nothing ground breaking), plus an extraordinary artistic creativity in their concept albums (mostly Waters), combined with more intelligent, meaningful & symbolic lyrics (again mostly Waters).

"Been workin from seven,
    To eleven every night
    Really makes my life a drag
    I don't think that's right"

"Forward he cried from the rear
    And the front ranks died
    The general sat
    And the lines on the map moved from side to side"

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by X-FXR View Post
    A big fan of Rush....But even a hardcore fan needs to admit the music sucked from Hold Your Fire on. Before that they were rock band that put out music that wasn't main stream and pushed some of the music boundaries....still making music isn't a qualification that necessarily makes you the best. In fact some bands loose their way and never recaptured the glory days.
    They rocked from Rush all the way through Signals, and after that I believe their sound started to get a bit wimpy for my tastes. Favourite album from them probably is a toss-up between 2112, Caress of Steel, or Permanent Waves. I borrowed their latest album from my boss, listened to it two times through, but it didn’t grow on me.

Now, the new Van Halen (A Different Kind of Truth), on the other hand… ROCKIN’!!!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    I gotta go Pink Floyd with Zep, Rush, Tool, Black Sabbath, Porcupine Tree a tie for second.

Zep was musically very, very talented, but Pink Floyd has their talent (omitting Nick Mason's drums, which were good but nothing ground breaking), plus an extraordinary artistic creativity in their concept albums (mostly Waters), combined with more intelligent, meaningful & symbolic lyrics (again mostly Waters).

"Been workin from seven,
    To eleven every night
    Really makes my life a drag
    I don't think that's right"

"Forward he cried from the rear
    And the front ranks died
    The general sat
    And the lines on the map moved from side to side"
    You could counter with the tales of nordic gods, india, and other influences in Zeppelin that caught the beauty of a land. Different music. I think the world was starting to become connected while Led Zeppelin was doing their thing, and I think they caught that essence.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    I've never enjoyed listening to Zep. Just doesn't work for me!

But I think the answer to the question is: Sex Pistols.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 01-01-2013 at 09:28 PM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Slave,Brass Construction,Zapp,Fatback Band.
    ...and James Marshall Hendrix.
    ...and The Roots.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Dont forget Metallica, I saw them this summer in SF at Outside Lands, they still kick ass, Lars was getting a bit tired at the end though.
    I also saw Jack White, that guy is so underrated in my opinion, he popped up in the middle of the trees and did an hour for about 300 people smashed in there together.
    Check out the movie, It Might Get Loud, Its Jack White, Jimmy Page and The Edge talking guitars and music styles, Its a great documentary and Jimmy Page is a god
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Blargen
    No.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast