singletrack junkie
    Jan 2004

Your favorite lever shape / feel?

Out of all the levers out there, what is your favorite -- best shape and a comfy feel? ...
    and why?

I personally have used the Avid ultimates (cable on avid discs), XT & XTR (both cable on V's), and now Hayes (NINE hydro). In my book, the Avid's win by a landslide. Not only for the shape, but also the modulation control provided by Avid's speed-dial leverage adjustment. Shimano 2nd (perfectly acceptable, but not outstanding), and Hayes 3rd (just really clunky feeling, not really adjustable modulation).

I am curious about what others think of the Hope, Magura, and Hayes carbon levers as compared to the 3 I have used.

Authority is dead!
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDiamond
    Out of all the levers out there, what is your favorite -- best shape and a comfy feel? ...
    and why?

I personally have used the Avid ultimates (cable on avid discs), XT & XTR (both cable on V's), and now Hayes (NINE hydro). In my book, the Avid's win by a landslide. Not only for the shape, but also the modulation control provided by Avid's speed-dial leverage adjustment. Shimano 2nd (perfectly acceptable, but not outstanding), and Hayes 3rd (just really clunky feeling, not really adjustable modulation).

I am curious about what others think of the Hope, Magura, and Hayes carbon levers as compared to the 3 I have used.
    Maguras are very nice, Hope has a firm lever and works excellent. I love my Grimeca for the lever feel and short, but very comfy lever.
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

formerly Giantxc
    I'm also a fan of the feel of avids levers, particularly the shape. The adjustability is nice, but I set it and leave it.

I just bought a set of Hope Mini's and in my one short ride on them they felt very nice. good shape and ridicously light lever action.

Trail rider and racer
    I really liked the feel of my XTR V brake levers, the ones pre the new integrated setup.

Currently running the XT/XTR hydros and really like the feel of the XT levers.

Trevor!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDiamond
    and why?

My favorite is the Dia Compe 287V
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Paul Love levers for me!

on both mtbs; hardtail geary, and SS rigid pulling avid mechanical disc brakes. love 'em!
    not as picky on the roadies; anything works for me there.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Official ***** Idiot
    Feb 2004
    Avids have the best feel for me. They're a touch wider between bends than $himano, so they fit my big paws nicely. You can definitely tell Avids were designed in the US, they're made for bigger hands. Japanese brake levers tend to run on the small side, a bit narrower, a bit less space between bends.

Paul's Deuce and a half levers work great for me too, but I can't quite afford them.

mmm, carbon
    Jan 2004
    I have a pair of 2.5 finger Xlite Chicken Stix on my street bike which are lovely. On my mountain bike I have the Juicies which I am growing to love. They're a lot like Avid V brake levers except hydraulic obviously. I had a set of Formula B4s for a while, the levers on those are utterly utterly horrible.

mtbr member

Machine Tech Levers

I LOVED my old machine tech levers. Nice and light (140 grams), with a lovely curve that my fingers just slid into. I'm still upset that I sold them when I got rid of my hardtail. Second place are XTR levers. I LIKE one-finger braking, so my larger hands don't mind the smaller lever surface. Plus, they look great. In last place for me are my Avid Speed Dial 5 levers, which came with the Avid mechs I bought last summer. They're plain and just don't have as smooth a feel. You get what you pay for, I guess. I'm upgrading them this spring, but I'm not sure to what. Avid Mag levers, maybe? Ultimates?

Official ***** Idiot
    Feb 2004
    weeell......you won't get Avid Mag levers, unless you know of a secret stash somewhere. They were discontinued two years ago, due to the magnesium being hard to source, and a factory worker being killed when a batch of magnesium ignited.

Avid Ti's now......those are available.

That being said, I have two sets of Avid mags with ti hardware upgrades. Probably the lightest brake levers in existance. I have one set on my bike now, and a second set put away for safekeeping.