mtbr member

Yet another disk rub question!

I have a BB7 on the back and the disk rubs almost constantly. I have checked if the rotor is warped but it isnt (or not significantly - i'd say less than a milimeter but it does wobble up a down a bit more.) The problem is whenever i try to fix it, i jump off the bike hold the back wheel off the floor and spin it. Nothing. No rub. No Zing. But i get back on the bike and the rubbing will start again. It isn't the usual zing...............,....zing..................zing ............ as the rotor goes round, it rubs almost constantly. So i move the pads out and it still happens. The only time it stops rubbing is when i move the pads almost completely out resulting in no braking force at all. I've tried re-aligning the caliper using the manufacturers instructions and the brake FAQ on this website to no avail. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this.
    i ride my bi*ch hard

thecentralscrutinizer
    Perhaps the caliper itself needs aligning. I have a similar problem on the front, but I believe it's caused by the flex in the fork.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Is your quick release tight enough?

mtbr member
    the quick release is tight. it is hard to push down and will leave an imprint in my hand
    i ride my bi*ch hard

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Try getting someone to loosen and then re-tighten the caliper mounting bolts while you're sitting on the bike and applying the brake. Worked for me anyways...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Looks like you have a hard tail, so if there are no cracks in the frame, it seems like you have a problem with your wheel. Loose spokes perhaps?

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by orthorex
    Looks like you have a hard tail, so if there are no cracks in the frame, it seems like you have a problem with your wheel. Loose spokes perhaps?
    Cones. Are his cones or other hub bearings loose? Loose spokes would let the rim wobble about but would have no effect on the pad/rotor alignment.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    there doesnt seem to be any play in the wheel bearings/cones, i recently regreased the hub bearings but this rubbing was happening before. i've only checked by holding the bike between my legs and pushing the wheel from side to side.
    the spokes are not what i would call that loose but they are not as tight as what they should be.
    i havent found any cracks in my frame and it hasn't broke yet so i'm guessing there are not cracks in it. and yes it is a hardtail
    thanks for the help so far. im gonna try the sitting on the bike method of re-aligning the brakes tomorrow
    i ride my bi*ch hard

mtbr member
    What hub?It may be the axle bending/flexing. I have had that problem with XTR Ti axle flexing, swithed it out with steel and that helped some with the rubbing.

A wheelist
    It's gotta be a hub/axle/QR/dropout/frame flex problem.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    i had a feeling it may be that. Its a shimano deore hub. I'll try tightening the spokes as they need to be tightened and see if that fixes the problem.
    when i went out on my bike this morning the rubbing stopped. I'll see what its like tomorrow
    i ride my bi*ch hard