mtbr member

Yeah, they're loud.......like a car horn.

Ok this question might belong in the beginner forum but since this is Brake time... I think it fits better here.

Background: I have a 2005 model barely used bike...it was garage kept after it got used for about 10 miles. It has the Tektro Aquila mechanical discs on it. 160 front 140 back i think...maybe 180/160 I'm not exactly sure.

Problem: I have gotten caught out in the rain for the last 2 days. When i squeeze my front brake to stop it starts honking like a car horn. Seriously...its super loud. The back does not do this ( it has its own set of demons that I already fight with). Also, the front does not honk when I apply a gentle pressure, only when i grab it to stop. This only happen when the brake gets a little bit wet.

Attempted resolutions: Tighten the bolts that are holding the disc on the hub. Make sure the holes int eh disc arent sharp on the inside of the holes. (I read somewhere that sharp edges on the holes could cause a harmonic vibration)

Any suggestions?

Ohh before you even start on the Brakes themselves. I hate them with a passion. They are first on my list of upgrades. So if all i'm going to get is"The brakes are sh!t you need to replace tham" dont even try to type it. If you are so dead set, that you have to type that out. Im sure it would take the same effort to go to pricepoint and have some juicy 7s mailed to my house
    Hey!! I found my limit.... lets see what happens when I push it about 2 notches farther....

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    well what do you want us to say then? try ear plugs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyspecific
    Im sure it would take the same effort to go to pricepoint and have some juicy 7s mailed to my house
    yes that would take some effort. i'll make it easier:
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/153...Brake-2007.htm

mtbr member
    I would hope to get someone who is more used to using a wrench than using sub par wit. Perhaps useful input from a mech that knows how to troubleshoot issues?

and to vk45de -
    Hey!! I found my limit.... lets see what happens when I push it about 2 notches farther....

~Disc~Golf~
    This only happen when the brake gets a little bit wet.
    when discs get wet, they honk - it doesn't matter that you think your brakes are sh!t
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    thanks highdell. If they just do that then Ill live with it. It is a really good way to get the attn of cars while tearing through downtown on my emergency route home.

~Disc~Golf~
    word
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Meh.
    Make sure the pads aren't glazed or contaminated and that they are broken in properly. Check for proper alignment. Check for fastener torque.

Don't forget consumers with weird expectations...or the lack of skill in setting up their brakes...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I was riding in muddy conditions and my bike got caked with mud. When I got home I hosed it down with a light pressure spray so that my fiance wouldn't sh!t when I took it inside. Later that night as I began my short ride to work my front brake began making the noise that you described. After I got to work I went to the first aid kit, got some rubbing alcohol pads, took the front wheel off of my bike, wiped both sides of the rotor down thoroughly and then wiped the alcohol off with a lint free cloth. No more noise. I think I just got water on the rotor when I hosed my bike down.
    build a man a fire keep him warm for a day, set a man on fire keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by queevil
    This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I was riding in muddy conditions and my bike got caked with mud. When I got home I hosed it down with a light pressure spray so that my fiance wouldn't sh!t when I took it inside. Later that night as I began my short ride to work my front brake began making the noise that you described. After I got to work I went to the first aid kit, got some rubbing alcohol pads, took the front wheel off of my bike, wiped both sides of the rotor down thoroughly and then wiped the alcohol off with a lint free cloth. No more noise. I think I just got water on the rotor when I hosed my bike down.
    Could just be the fear of your fiance (you sure the dingo didn't have anything to do with your lack of balls?). Cleaning brakes can be good on occasion, though. Far better just to blame the fiance and tell her to clean her act up...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Suffers From Binge Biking
    Some brake designs (including rotors) are just more prone to squealing than others. Example: I was riding in the rain today and have bb7s front and back, but have a roundagon rotor on the front and a clean sweep on the back. The front brake squealed like none other while the back was silent.

If you've used any lubricants on your bike recently near the brakes, there's a chance the brake pads may be contaminated. If this just started happening, this is probably your problem. You can try baking them in the oven at 450F for 15-20 min.
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Don't forget consumers with weird expectations...or the lack of skill in setting up their brakes...
    Thanks bikinfool. If the actual constructive solutions fail Ill stop in my tracks when I hear the noise and think really hard about that. Maybe it'll stop the noise. Ill let you know if it works.

To everyone that has actually tried to help me. I removed the pads, cooked them, let them cool, and then sanded the surface to make sure nothing would be left on there. I also cleaned the crap out of the rotors with alcohol and then used a clean terry towel to scrub them til they were nice and shiny. Everything has been remounted and readjusted so now I guess ill take it out tomorrow and ....sadly.... hope to get caught in the rain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Could just be the fear of your fiance (you sure the dingo didn't have anything to do with your lack of balls?). Cleaning brakes can be good on occasion, though. Far better just to blame the fiance and tell her to clean her act up...
    Ok. That doesn't really make any sense. No dingos around here just lots of stray cats. If my fiance was the one who caked my bike in mud I might take your advice. No, I wouldn't. I don't like mud tracked through my house either. Anyway, you're right....about the brake cleaning and all.
    build a man a fire keep him warm for a day, set a man on fire keep him warm for the rest of his life.

One Gear
    Try a set of organic pads.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    IDK man I like the honking, it allows me to express my displeasure with jackass drivers pulling out in front of me on my school commute without yelling obscenities.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettorider
    IDK man I like the honking, it allows me to express my displeasure with jackass drivers pulling out in front of me on my school commute without yelling obscenities.

That is beautiful.

My issues is generally pedestrians just walking around and not looking where they are going. the only issue I usually have with people in cars is the fools openign their doors and not looking around.....I about get dropped by car doors at least 2 times a week.

mtbr member
    Ok guys it worked. i dont know if it was the cooking, the sanding or the cleaning of the rotors.... But all three together worked damn well!!!! Thank you guys so much. Now to keep saving for some hydraulics.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Ok guys it worked. i dont know if it was the cooking, the sanding or the cleaning of the rotors.... But all three together worked damn well!!!! Thank you guys so much. Now to keep saving for some hydraulics.
    Awesome!