Thread: XX or XTR?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

XX or XTR?

Pretty simple...as great as Shimano is, I love SRAM drivetrains but have read a few issues with XX brakes (SRAM changing designs and not supplying parts for older stuff, and by old I mean last years stuff). Plus, people seem to be loving the new XT and XTR brakes so was thinking about giving them a try...

I'd appreciate any first hand opinions...

LightJunction.com
    They're both great brakes on the trail.

One comment about the new XX brakes: they use torx fittings for just about everything instead of hex fittings. Since many multi-tools don't have torx bits, you have to carry extra tools on the trail. And torx bits, while more difficult to strip out, are marginally more difficult to use for adjustments. It's a small complaint, I know, but when you're spending this much on a brake, it's the little things that really set them apart.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

LightJunction.com
    For what it's worth, I ride both SRAM and Shimano drivetrains, so I'm not biased against one company or the other.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hi mate, I've just removed the xx from my Scott scale and replaced them with xtr. Over the years I've tried juicy 7, ultimate, elixir cr and xx and I will never buy another SRAM brake. I now have 2012 xt and xtr and absolutely love them - no noise, brilliant power and no rubbing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks...think I'm gonna give the XTR a try.

mtbr member
    Personal preference. Both really good. I like XTR, but both can be very good, or be very bad if they are not set up right.

mtbr member
    Brake-wise I would go with Shimano over SRAM.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I had XX world cup on my bike for two rides before I sold them and got the new XTR trail brakes. XTR was quieter and has adjustment for the levers. Love the SRAM drivetrain but will never use their brakes again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reelmcoy View Post
    I had XX world cup on my bike for two rides before I sold them and got the new XTR trail brakes. XTR was quieter and has adjustment for the levers. Love the SRAM drivetrain but will never use their brakes again.
    I have XX WC's and they are the bane of my life.
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I will still go with the XTR

Just Ride
    I always figured SRAM vs Shimano was like Coke vs Pepsi, or Chevy vs Ford? But then again what do I know?
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I would suggest using Avid's Code brakes,although they aren't quite as powerful as the Saints they provide better stopping power than the newer Shimano XT's and XTR's. The Code R's are comparable in price to the Shimano XT's.

The Elixir's aren't bad but the Codes are far better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    i have all sram drivetrain and love it but as far as avids brakes go i through my xo's in the trash 2 days ago and replaced them with xtr race and have had no issues since. after months of noisy and pulsating avid brakes which were warranty replaced twice and 5 diff rotor manufacture i had enough. no more matchmakers but the lil bit of bar clutter created with the shimano brakes is def. worth it in my oppinion