mtbr member
    Aug 2009

XX World Cup vs Formula R1's

For those of you that have ridden both, what is your thoughts? Are the R1's that much better? I have the regular XX's on my current bike and they are good but I feel like I have to adjust them a lot. Just trying to decide on my new ride if I should go back to XX or try the R1's.
    2011 S-Works Epic 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hi,
    very much interested in that particular comparison as well.
    What do you mean by „adjust them a lot“? Alignment/ brake pads? Or what?

I have the feeling that the R1 lever are pretty far away from bar/ grips, only for bigger hands, before Formula changed to the "90 degree design“.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'd go for R1s over XX, although I'd go for the new XTRs over the R1s.

The R1s are known to be great aside from the tight pad clearance. Personally I hate having to mess with rubbing rotors on any sort of regular basis, so I went the XTR route. Can't say I've heard a lot of good things about the XX brakes, aside from weight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Go XTR.....or R1s. The R1s do have a super small pad-rotor clearance. It seems everyone has one problem or another with SRAM brakes. I think its time they go back to drawing board and sort it out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I can't say that the pad clearance on the XX brakes are good either. That is the biggest problem I don't like about the XX is they seem to need adjusting all of the time to keep them from rubbing.

I have heard good things about the XTR but they are ugly. I can't stand the chrome. My entire new bike is black.

Are the R1's hard to adjust? Once adjusted properly, do they require a lot of adjustments after that? My XX does requires me to repeatedly to adjust them for rubbing. Can I change the hoses on the R1's? I would like a black hose instead of the braided line.
    2011 S-Works Epic 29er

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Both are great brakes...... but I like much more my XX.. I don't know why so many people complain with issues of pad clearance.... my three bikes are equiped with XX brakes and I don't have a single issue rubbing ....

I do agree with Mdrnizd, i hear good things about XTR but it is too early to tell, And they looks ugly

holy schfincter..
    Don't know about you all, but I'm holding out for These

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sebastian21
    Both are great brakes...... but I like much more my XX.. I don't know why so many people complain with issues of pad clearance.... my three bikes are equiped with XX brakes and I don't have a single issue rubbing ....

I do agree with Mdrnizd, i hear good things about XTR but it is too early to tell, And they looks ugly
    I think more people complain cause 7 out of 10 bikes are equiped with avid brakes

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mmountainbiker
    I think more people complain cause 7 out of 10 bikes are equiped with avid brakes